PDA

View Full Version : Jeb Bush calls for constitutional convention to pass term limits

mrsat_98
11-26-2016, 03:46 AM
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/307530-jeb-bush-calls-for-constitutional-convention-for-congressional

Jeb Bush is calling for a constitutional convention to impose term limits on members of Congress.

Writing in an op-ed for the Wall Street Journal, the former Florida governor said that the GOP should use its newfound power to remake the way the government works.
“Americans, by wide majorities, agree that Washington is broken, so let’s send power back to the people and back to the states,” Bush wrote.

“Republicans should support convening a constitutional convention to pass term limits, a balanced-budget amendment and restraints on the Commerce Clause, which has given the federal government far more regulatory power than the Founders intended.”

Bush said that the election of Donald Trump is a clear sign that Americans are unhappy with how the federal government operates, but acknowledged that Hillary Clinton’s significant lead in the popular vote shows that the country is divided

He called on Republicans, who will soon control the White House and Congress, to better define their stance in opposition to an overbearing federal government.

“The GOP has no excuse for failure,” Bush wrote. “We are in charge of both the executive and legislative branches in Washington, and we dominate in the states like never before.”

“We have the power to set the agenda, and we have the responsibility to govern, not merely on behalf of the voters who supported President-elect Trump, but for all Americans.”

Trump and Bush feuded during the GOP primary, and Bush refused to support the party's nominee.

But he said he is praying for his success.

"I will continue to pray for President-elect Trump and his family. I pray he governs inclusively, with humility and with purpose. I pray that he will be led by a deep love of this nation and each of its citizens, regardless of background or ZIP Code," Bush wrote.

"And I want him to know that I hope for his success. I hope that he broadens the GOP, works across the aisle and governs with pragmatism and compassion. There are many who did not vote for him who agree that what matters most now is that this nation unites and moves forward together. I will work to support those goals."

goldenequity
11-26-2016, 04:11 AM
One last desperate attempt by the globalist cronies
to permanently imprint themselves...
RU Kiddn me?
Go
Away.
Jeb Bush. WSJ. Right.
Drain the swamp.

phill4paul
11-26-2016, 05:21 AM
I knew before I read the article that it was more than just term limits that he wanted a convention for. What other things besides the three you mentioned Jeb?

UWDude
11-26-2016, 06:13 AM
Constitutional convention!? NO WAY! Trump said constitutional amendment. A convention at this point would be a coup attempt.

Origanalist
11-26-2016, 08:02 AM
Constitutional convention!? NO WAY! Trump said constitutional amendment. A convention at this point would be a coup attempt.

I'm sure he has the best of intentions...

http://www.immortal.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/jeb-bush-1000x600.jpg

Though I'm not against term limits. I don't think anyone's life goal should be a politician or be in the business of deciding how people conduct their lives. But hell no to the con-con, especially if Jeb and his ilk are behind it.

Zippyjuan
11-26-2016, 01:51 PM
Term limits kick guys like Ron and Rand Paul out sooner.

UWDude
11-26-2016, 05:24 PM

well, that sucks, but it also kicks out 530ish parasites faster.

undergroundrr
11-26-2016, 05:29 PM

And the potential for a take-the-money-and-run attitude. cf Hoppe. Term limits haven't gotten us better presidents.

I want Rand, Amash, Massie there forever and ever amen.

VIDEODROME
11-26-2016, 06:04 PM
I kind of wish we could decide on a case by case basis to term limit someone. Sort of like a Vote of Confidence or No-Confidence. In the rare case we get someone we like, vote for an extension on their term to run. Or if we don't like them, vote to say we don't want them as the incumbent so we want to see a fresh new person nominated from their party.

otherone
11-26-2016, 06:07 PM
I kind of wish we could decide on a case by case basis to term limit someone. Sort of like a Vote of Confidence or No-Confidence. In the rare case we get someone we like, vote for an extension on their term to run. Or if we don't like them, vote to say we don't want them as the incumbent so we want to see a fresh new person nominated from their party.

voters decide this already

Danke
11-26-2016, 06:09 PM
Run off elections.

Occam's Banana
11-26-2016, 06:55 PM
Meh.

Things like term limits, balanced budget rules, campaign finance reform, etc. won't do anything except rearrange the deck chairs.

They're just "feel good" measures that will do absolutely nothing whatsoever to address the actual problem, which is too much government power.

(And then, of course, there is also the potential for shenanigans inherent in a con-con ...)