PDA

View Full Version : Trump flip-flops on torture

undergroundrr
11-23-2016, 12:48 AM
I don't have anything bad to say about this:

In another significant turnabout, he backpedaled from his repeated calls for a return to waterboarding and other discredited torture techniques to fight terrorism. Trump indicated he had reversed his view after a discussion with retired Marine Gen. James Mattis, considered a possible pick for secretary of Defense.

“He said, ‘I’ve never found it to be useful,’” Trump said of their conversation on torture.

Trump said Mattis explained his view, shared by experts, that proven methods of interrogation, including building a relationship between interviewer and suspect, yield more useful information. “Give me a pack of cigarettes and a couple of beers and I’ll do better,” Mattis said, according to Trump, who said he was “very impressed” with the answer.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-transition-20161122-story.html

specsaregood
11-23-2016, 01:01 AM
I don't have anything bad to say about this:

Me neither, just sad that one has to pretend to be for torture to win elections in the US.

AZJoe
11-23-2016, 09:48 AM
Me neither, just sad that one has to pretend to be for torture to win elections in the US.

Agree. Glad he flip flopped on this, but any politician even contemplating the use of torture should be the automatic kiss of death for their political career. Sadly and disgustingly torture talk is cheered.

Origanalist
11-23-2016, 09:52 AM

If they promised to feed them to lions in a public arena they would win in a landslide.

The Northbreather
11-23-2016, 10:01 AM
If they promised to feed them to lions in a public arena they would win in a landslide.

Pecked to death by American Eagles

fcreature
11-23-2016, 10:16 AM
Glad to see it but will piss off a lot of his supporters and probably a bunch here as well.

juleswin
11-23-2016, 10:22 AM

Also doesn't hurt to get round the clock media publicity and you happen to run against Hillary Clinton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDwwAaVmnf4

This would have won the election this year had he run against Clinton. The numbers show that even with a bigger registered voters this year, Romney had more votes for him than Trump. Just saying, Trump won in spite of his torture rhetoric.

undergroundrr
11-23-2016, 10:59 AM
I don't know anything about Mattis, but just based on this, he's the best floated name yet for Defense Secretary.

UWDude
11-23-2016, 03:24 PM
Glad to see it but will piss off a lot of his supporters and probably a bunch here as well.

"probably a bunch here"

you mean none?

neg repped.

Welcome to reality. I have tried to explain it to you for a while. Trump took the positions he needed to, to win. It was all about winning to him. Because you get nothing done when you lose. I can tell by the cabinet he is building, it is because he has a good relationship with the NYPD and the FBI, and he knows all about the Clinton Foundation and the pedo-ring. He intends to take them all down.

No he isn't exactly a liberty candidate, but he is shaping an administration to destroy the clinton foundation, and reverse the disastrous foreign policy in the middle east.

undergroundrr
11-23-2016, 03:33 PM
he knows all about the Clinton Foundation and the pedo-ring. He intends to take them all down.

I'm sure he's looking forward to all those questions about his own participation with Epstein's activities. They will inevitably be raised if he goes down that path.

UWDude
11-23-2016, 03:35 PM
I'm sure he's looking forward to all those questions about his own participation with Epstein's activities. They will inevitably be raised if he goes down that path.

"all those questions"

You think he is scared? You still don't know Trump. Trump doesn't drink, smoke or do drugs or even drink coffee.

undergroundrr
11-23-2016, 03:38 PM
"all those questions"

You think he is scared? You still don't know Trump. Trump doesn't drink, smoke or do drugs or even drink coffee.

But he does grab... oh never mind

phill4paul
11-23-2016, 03:40 PM
Good on him. I don't see how anyone can be critical of this. However, his constant flip-flopping makes me skeptical as to whether or not this is genuine or just more B.S.

CPUd
11-23-2016, 03:41 PM
I can tell by the cabinet he is building, it is because he has a good relationship with the NYPD and the FBI, and he knows all about the Clinton Foundation and the pedo-ring. He intends to take them all down.

No he isn't exactly a liberty candidate, but he is shaping an administration to destroy the clinton foundation, and reverse the disastrous foreign policy in the middle east.

Why would he want to do that when they are his friends and he's been using his own foundation as his personal piggy bank?

fcreature
11-23-2016, 03:42 PM
"probably a bunch here"

you mean none?

neg repped.

Oh, right, I forgot. Waterboarding isn't torture.

:rolleyes:

dannno
11-23-2016, 03:44 PM
But he does grab... oh never mind

He grabs adult vah-jayjays.

undergroundrr
11-23-2016, 03:49 PM
He grabs adult vah-jayjays.

We'll have to see his art collection before we know for sure.

UWDude
11-23-2016, 03:51 PM
Oh, right, I forgot. Waterboarding isn't torture.

:rolleyes:

I don't think anybody here, Trump supporter or not, ever said that either. You must be getting us confused with some other forum.

William Tell
11-23-2016, 05:12 PM
Good on him. I don't see how anyone can be critical of this. However, his constant flip-flopping makes me skeptical as to whether or not this is genuine or just more B.S.

This.

specsaregood
11-23-2016, 05:27 PM
I don't think anybody here, Trump supporter or not, ever said that either. You must be getting us confused with some other forum.

I'm not sure of my position on waterboarding. On the onehand, it seems that everybody that has even been waterboarded says it is torture. On the otherhand; it just doesn't seem like it. If given the opportunity to be waterboarded in a controlled setting with experts on hand, I'd submit myself to it to find out. In lieu of that, I'm going to have to go with it being torture by default just because that madman McCain says it is.