PDA

View Full Version : Democrat Harold Ford Jr. emerging as potential Trump pick

CPUd
11-22-2016, 06:22 PM
Democrat Harold Ford Jr. emerging as potential Trump pick

Former Democratic Rep. Harold Ford, Jr. is emerging as a possible contender for transportation secretary, or another Cabinet post, in Donald Trump’s budding administration.

The telegenic Ford — who served five terms in Congress representing Tennessee and is the son of a long-serving Democratic congressman from Memphis — has worked as a managing director at Morgan Stanley since 2011, and is a regular news analyst on MSNBC.

Ford endorsed Hillary Clinton in the 2016 race, and he and his wife, Emily, contributed to Clinton's campaign. But Ford is also close with Trump’s children, Don Jr., Ivanka, and son-in-law Jared Kushner, an associate said.

Now the moderate Democrat is poised to potentially join the incoming Republican administration. Two sources confirmed to POLITICO that Ford has yet to meet with the president-elect, but that there have been some preliminary feelers put out about potential Cabinet-level posts, including transportation secretary, via "emissaries." And Ford did not rule it out.

"He's happy doing what he's doing," a source close to Ford told POLITICO. "If the President-elect called, then of course, he would listen carefully."

Reached on his cellphone, Ford dodged questions about his future in a Trump administration.

“I’m on vacation with my family,” he said when asked whether he has had any conversations about a Cabinet position such as transportation secretary. “I’d appreciate you calling me in the office on Monday.”

Ford has toyed with restarting his political career since leaving the House. In 2010, Ford seriously considered challenging New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand in the Democratic primary for Senate. But after launching a listening tour across the state, he ultimately decided not to run, claiming it would only splinter Democrats in the general election.

Trump, an adviser said, is keen on adding some Democrats to his Cabinet, and Ford's made-for-TV looks could endear him to Trump (as could his regular appearances on "Morning Joe," which Trump tunes in to regularly). The New York Times reported over the weekend that Trump took into account that Mike Pence looked right out of "central casting" when he tapped him as his running mate, and that he used the same language to describe the slim and patrician Mitt Romney, whom he reportedly is considering for secretary of state.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/donald-trump-administration/2016/11/harold-ford-cabinet-trump-231776

CPUd
11-22-2016, 06:25 PM
LOL if he hires this crook.

ThePaleoLibertarian
11-22-2016, 06:27 PM
No way would Trump appoint someone who didn't endorse him and actively spoke out against him on TV many times.

Created4
11-22-2016, 06:30 PM
No way would Trump appoint someone who didn't endorse him and actively spoke out against him on TV many times.

Like Romney??

euphemia
11-22-2016, 06:30 PM
From one of the most corrupt families in TN.

CPUd
11-22-2016, 06:31 PM

You're probably right.

https://i.imgur.com/nG8ZwMi.png

oyarde
11-22-2016, 06:34 PM
Managing Director at Morgan Stanley , MSNBC news analyst and former Dem congressmen from Tenn . That makes him qualified for , well , nothing .

ThePaleoLibertarian
11-22-2016, 06:43 PM
Like Romney??
Romney hasn't been appointed to anything yet. Trump isn't known for forgetting his enemies. People were talking about how Giuliani or Gowdy would be AG and that Christie would be in his cabinet. People's predictions about Trump continue to be wrong.

I'm not saying he won't appoint Romney, but I'll believe it when I see it.

ThePaleoLibertarian
11-22-2016, 06:43 PM
You're probably right.

https://i.imgur.com/nG8ZwMi.png
See above.

Brian4Liberty
11-22-2016, 08:03 PM
Cant say I'm terribly familiar with him. What are the positives? Was he anti-war? Was he pro-4th Amendment? Against torture or the Patriot Act?

CPUd
11-22-2016, 08:09 PM
Cant say I'm terribly familiar with him. What are the positives? Was he anti-war? Was he pro-4th Amendment? Against torture or the Patriot Act?

Let's just say he knows his way around the banking regulations.

Superfluous Man
11-22-2016, 09:35 PM
This could be a case of mistaken identity. One of Trump's ideological idols is Henry Ford.

Superfluous Man
11-22-2016, 09:39 PM

Superfluous Man
11-22-2016, 09:41 PM

You fail to see how phony Trump is, especially when it comes to pretending to be enemies with liberals. He's like a professional wrestler. It's all part of the show. Take, for instance, how disingenuous he was all that time when he talked about locking up Hillary.

RonPaulGeorge&Ringo
11-22-2016, 09:41 PM
This seems like a bad idea. I know they're deperate to appoint a Democrat and maybe need a black guy, but this guy always seeded shady, even if he di put out a "moderate" vibe a lot of the time.

They should go to Webb for Veterans Affairs if they really need a Democrat.

Superfluous Man
11-22-2016, 09:42 PM

Sarcasm?

gaazn
11-23-2016, 07:16 AM
Why do these zombies (including Ford, Fiorina, Guilani, Newt...) keep coming back??
Trump administration is really like the WWE, keep trying to recycle "talent"

UWDude
11-23-2016, 03:55 PM

This. Romney is all speculation too.

UWDude
11-23-2016, 03:57 PM
"He's happy doing what he's doing," a source close to Ford told POLITICO. "If the President-elect called, then of course, he would listen carefully."

If the President-elect called

If

Politico headline:
"Democrat Harold Ford Jr. emerging as potential Trump pick"

#fakenews

enhanced_deficit
11-23-2016, 06:32 PM
Doubt it.
Trump may appoint couple of Dems but those won't be the type Dems who have been tight with disgraced dronegangsta-Clinton team.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef012876cbab36970c-600wi