PDA

View Full Version : Staples in trees=$41,000.00 fines, NY

tod evans
11-20-2016, 01:17 PM
City eyed $41G in fines for Trump supporter over tree fliers

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/11/20/city-eyed-41g-in-fines-for-trump-supporter-over-tree-fliers.html

New York City’s Parks Department sought to fine a businessman $41,000 for damaging trees in pursuit of a vandal who stole his pro-Trump lawn signs.

WABC-TV reports that Mike Ricatto, 59, plastered trees in his Kew Gardens, Queens, neighborhood with “wanted” fliers after Donald Trump campaign signs in his front yard were stolen.

Ricatto’s surveillance cameras captured a grainy picture of the thief which he put on the fliers.

The Parks Department claims the staples Ricatto used to post the fliers caused damage to the trees, though the department’s own lawyer said staples don’t damage trees, according to the station.

“Weeks and week later, I got visited by some Parks Department personnel and they handed me 22 summonses,” Ricatto told the station.

Ricatto contends the summonses amount to fines of only $1,600, which he said he paid. ?????

WABC reported that the Parks Department intended to ticket Ricatto $41,000, but the parks enforcement officer assigned the task refused, saying it was unjust.

DNAinfo New York reported in September that the Parks Department sent a city forester to investigate Ricatto after callers to the city’s 311 system complained about the fliers. The forester determined 11 trees suffered damage worth $41,000.

luctor-et-emergo
11-20-2016, 01:22 PM
Staples in trees are pretty much biodegradable.

Dr.3D
11-20-2016, 01:24 PM
Of course if the missing signs had been pro-Clinton, I suspect nothing would have been said about it.

Suzanimal
11-20-2016, 01:24 PM
I wouldn't have paid the 1,600.00. Staples don't hurt trees.

WABC reported that the Parks Department intended to ticket Ricatto $41,000, but the parks enforcement officer assigned the task refused, saying it was unjust.

Well, that's something.

Anti Federalist
11-20-2016, 01:30 PM
LOL @ NYC

Dr.3D
11-20-2016, 01:31 PM
Maybe they were worried about the Tree Huggers getting scratched on the staples.

Danke
11-20-2016, 01:36 PM
Maybe they were worried about the Tree Huggers getting scratched on the staples.

Tree Huggers put nails in trees.

Suzanimal
11-20-2016, 01:37 PM
Tree Huggers put nails in trees.

Nails don't hurt trees, either.

Danke
11-20-2016, 01:38 PM

They hurt lumberjacks.

tod evans
11-20-2016, 01:38 PM

They sure hurt saw blades! :mad:

Suzanimal
11-20-2016, 01:39 PM
They hurt lumberjacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUmXdMdRkQ0

Dr.3D
11-20-2016, 01:44 PM
I wonder how much they fine the maple syrup people.

Origanalist
11-20-2016, 02:52 PM
I wonder how much they fine the maple syrup people.

In NY, all your syrups belong to us.

scm
11-20-2016, 03:01 PM

And I bet that person was fired for doing the right thing.

phill4paul
11-20-2016, 03:15 PM
Staples, even fence staples, are not going to damage a tree. Which brings up something pretty interesting we found a coupla weeks ago. We had to drop some oaks on a friends property. They were uphill of a nice Black walnut and as they were duo-crowns and lightning stuck he wanted to fell them uphill. One of the ones we cut had what appears to be a 2x4 grown inside of it. The rings on this 2x4 are in opposition of the tree and appears to be of oak itself. Since he is going to the mill with these anyway we were speculating how tall that 2x4 might have been and if interesting veneer cuts could be made from it. Or...something. Just too rare to pass up on the artistic quality that might be brought out of it.

Suzanimal
11-20-2016, 03:19 PM
Staples, even fence staples, are not going to damage a tree. Which brings up something pretty interesting we found a coupla weeks ago. We had to drop some oaks on a friends property. They were uphill of a nice Black walnut and as they were duo-crowns and lightning stuck he wanted to fell them uphill. One of the ones we cut had what appears to be a 2x4 grown inside of it. The rings on this 2x4 are in opposition of the tree and appears to be of oak itself. Since he is going to the mill with these anyway we were speculating how tall that 2x4 might have been and if interesting veneer cuts could be made from it. Or...something. Just too rare to pass up on the artistic quality that might be brought out of it.

Ha! That's cool. They'll grow around anything.

http://i.imgur.com/hvpVpJVm.png

Dr.3D
11-20-2016, 06:31 PM
Ha! That's cool. They'll grow around anything.

http://i.imgur.com/hvpVpJVm.png
Yeah, check this out. They found a golf ball embedded in wood.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/4731843/Golf-ball-lost-years-ago-found-embedded-in-tree-trunk.html