PDA

View Full Version : Donald Sutherland ‘Ashamed’ of Being ‘White Male,’ Who Are All ‘Misogynist Racists’

timosman
11-19-2016, 11:43 PM
http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/kyle-drennen/2016/11/14/donald-sutherland-ashamed-being-white-male-who-are-all-misogynist

November 14, 2016

Appearing on the 9 a.m. ET hour of NBC’s Today on Monday, left-wing actor Donald Sutherland recalled being scolded by actress Helen Mirren on the set of one of his films: “Helen Mirren came up to me on the set and....she said, ‘You are the most privileged person on Earth’....I said, ‘How can you say that?’ And she said, ‘You are a white male.’”

Co-host Tamron Hall wondered: “And your reply to that was?” Sutherland proclaimed: “There’s no reply. I was ashamed. I was stunned. And I have gotten more ashamed. It's interesting to realize that you are seen as an integral part of a group that many of whom are mendacious, misogynist, of bigots, racists, and it's appalling.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGzLIv819gc

Hall followed up: “So what do you tell your – you have many, many grandchildren. What do you tell them?...what do you tell them to give them a hopeful view of life?”

Sutherland, clearly referring to election of Donald Trump, ranted:

How can I give them a hopeful view now? How can I give them a hopeful view? I have a wife, I have a daughter, I have a daughter-in-law and a granddaughter. What do I say to them? What do I say to them? Their women’s rights have gone, you know? The environment has gone, minimum pay has gone. What do I say to them? How do I – you know, I can only say one thing, I am a Canadian. And that's what I am.

Here is a transcript of the November 14 exchange:

9:32 AM ET

(...)

DYLAN DRYER: And speaking of the movie with Helen Mirren, The Leisure Seeker, is that the one you were talking about?

DONALD SUTHERLAND: If I could do a thousand movies with Helen Mirren, I would, but that's the only one I've done.

DRYER: Okay.

SUTHERLAND: And it was – if it is a quarter as good as it was a joy to play, then it will be absolutely wonderful. Helen Mirren – you – Helen Mirren came up to me on the set and stood in front of me and said – in the middle of shooting, you know – and I love her. And she said, “You are the most privileged person on Earth.” And I said, “You're joking.” I mean, I've been very fortunate and I’ve had a wonderful life. But she said, “No, you're the most privileged person on Earth.” I said, “How can you say that?” And she said, “You are a white male.”

TAMRON HALL: And your reply to that was?

SUTHERLAND: There’s no reply. I was ashamed. I was stunned. And I have gotten more ashamed. It's interesting to realize that you are seen as an integral part of a group that many of whom are mendacious, misogynist, of bigots, racists, and it's appalling.

HALL: So what do you tell your – you have many, many grandchildren. What do you tell them? Several.

SUTHERLAND: No, I have four.

HALL: Several, I was think seven more. So, four grandchildren, what do you tell them to give them a hopeful view of life?

SUTHERLAND: How can I give them a hopeful view now? How can I give them a hopeful view? I have a wife, I have a daughter, I have a daughter-in-law and a granddaughter. What do I say to them? What do I say to them? Their women’s rights have gone, you know? The environment has gone, minimum pay has gone. What do I say to them? How do I – you know, I can only say one thing, I am a Canadian. And that's what I am.

AL ROKER: A lot to think about. Donald Sutherland, thank you so much.

(...)

Anti Federalist
11-20-2016, 12:04 AM
“Helen Mirren came up to me on the set and....she said, ‘You are the most privileged person on Earth’....I said, ‘How can you say that?’ And she said, ‘You are a white male.’”

I've been a blue collar working man my whole life, been thumped by cops, thrown in jail, chased by the IRS, gone broke and lived on the streets once or twice.

It's been nothing but a hardscrabble struggle since day one, the whole while supporting a family since I was 20.

After 35 years, I have now achieved a little modest middle class "success" and peace on a little patch of land.

For some multi million dollar actress with a splinter in her vagina to now come along and lecture me about my "privilege"?

Fuck off and die, all you people, including you self loathing, crocodile tear spilling, weak white men that have sold out an entire civilization because you were too fucking weak to hold onto it and defend it.

nobody's_hero
11-20-2016, 01:36 AM
I don't understand the concept that someone is supposed to loathe themselves because they have it better than someone else.

There are people in Africa who drink from the same rivers they just pissed in.

Me hating myself, or being ashamed, does nothing to improve the lives of those people.

It's like when you were little and you were told by your parents not to waste food, because there were starving children in other parts of the world. And, if you were a literal-minded child like most, you probably spent many meals trying to figure out how eating all your food prevented those people from starving.

UWDude
11-20-2016, 01:56 AM
This guy is sick in the head.