PDA

View Full Version : Hightimes Full Page Ad?

fortilite
12-09-2007, 03:00 PM
It will be $3600. The deadline for this issue is FRIDAY. Should we do this? I think most of these guys can get behind Ron Paul. Can someone who has experience making ads and dealing with chippin take charge? I don't want to mess it up. :o

We'll need an ad made and proof immediately if we want in on the next issue.

fortilite
12-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Here are the tech requirements:

http://www.hightimes.com/ht/home/pages/21_mediakit_fnl_web.pdf

This is the biggest magazine on the subject, I think it's a great opportunity. Also it's monthly so the ad will be in there for the whole month. Great price I think.

trey4sports
12-09-2007, 03:04 PM
EXCELLENT IDEA!!!

the war on drugs was the main issue that gravitated me toward Dr. Paul i think a Hightimes ad could appeal to many cannabis users seeking change in the law, then again i could see the MSM putting a horrific spin on this....

adwads
12-09-2007, 03:04 PM
good idea

fortilite
12-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Also forgot to mention, this is a color ad! A full page, color ad in a monthly magazine which is highly targeted! I'm in contact with the ad man, all we need is a person to design the ad today / tomorrow and someone to do chippin. I can do the chippin part if no one steps forward but no way can I do the ad.

Mr. White
12-09-2007, 03:08 PM
Wait, I'll look through my jpgs for the pic of Ron rolling a mighty doob.

xexkxex
12-09-2007, 03:08 PM
What's the circulation?

Oh Oh Oh This reminds me....LOL....check this out...

High Times: Chicken Nuggets
Another day at the office at the world's dankest, stickiest pot publication.
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1792449

Another great short skit by College Humor...LOL

trey4sports
12-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Wait, I'll look through my jpgs for the pic of Ron rolling a mighty doob.

lol are you for real?

KewlRonduderules
12-09-2007, 03:12 PM
I think if you place an ad in this magazine, it should be rather serious- not some doob.

schmeisser
12-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Someone here made a club flyer that might work well as an ad:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=14767&highlight=club+flyers

tamor
12-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Bump

hillertexas
12-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Contact Marc Emery...
I believe he has been working on this already
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=70824890&MyToken=387e551f-2d5e-4530-84c4-07c72b04bc2d

Mark
12-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Also forgot to mention, this is a color ad! A full page, color ad in a monthly magazine which is highly targeted! I'm in contact with the ad man, all we need is a person to design the ad today / tomorrow and someone to do chippin. I can do the chippin part if no one steps forward but no way can I do the ad.

Can you take charge of posting in the appropriate forums here in terms of projects ect?

Run with it, there's a lot of promotion to do to get it going.

I can handle the FEC legal end in terms of donations/chipin through my church, but I can't do it all, I've got too much to do already.

It's your idea, find the appropriate people to get the ad together, ask for donors ect.

Email me through my profile when you have it going.

fortilite
12-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Help clean up / improve this intro paragraph:

10 term Congressman Ron Paul is the only major Presidential candidate to oppose the war on drugs. Although opposed to Marijuana on a personal level, he feels it is not the job of the government to make personal choices for citizens. Congressman Ron Paul believes that if an individual wants to use Marijuana it is that person's Constitutional right. As a strict constitutionalist, Ron Paul would bring in Supreme Court judges who recognize that the war on drugs violates the 10th Amendment of the Constitution.

Mark
12-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Contact Marc Emery...
I believe he has been working on this already
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=70824890&MyToken=387e551f-2d5e-4530-84c4-07c72b04bc2d

Great idea!

Here's his website too:

http://www.cannabisculture.com/

forums:

http://forums.cannabisculture.com (http://forums.cannabisculture.com/)

specsaregood
12-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Someone here made a club flyer that might work well as an ad:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=14767&highlight=club+flyers

User: McDermit's girlfriend created that flyer. Maybe he can talk her into helping out with this ad.

http://www.ronpaulphiladelphia.com/ronpaulDownloads/RPorangeprimarylowres.jpg

You can get the hi-res print ready version here:
http://www.ronpaulphiladelphia.com/ronpaulDownloads/RPorangeprimary.jpg
and the backside:
http://www.ronpaulphiladelphia.com/ronpaulDownloads/RPgreen.jpg

Ozwest
12-09-2007, 03:29 PM
For 3600.00 what is the ad placement? Page#'s.

fortilite
12-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Here are some talking points to grab attention:

Ron Paul voted for the legalization of hemp!

Voted 'No' on subjecting federal employees to random drug tests!

Sponsored these States Rights To Medical Marijuana Act!

Believes that the federal government does not have the constitutional right to regulate drugs!

Not only supports decriminalization, but full legalization!

fortilite
12-09-2007, 03:32 PM
I'll find out the page #, circulation #'s, etc. I have a feeling since we are getting down to the wire we won't have a lot of say in page # but high times seems to like us so we might do well.

fortilite
12-09-2007, 03:35 PM
And for the call to action summary:

If we want full legalization of Marijuana, we will need the Supreme Court on our side. As President, Ron Paul will only nominate judges who recognize the full scope of the 10th amendment. Ron Paul will work tirelessly to end the illegal and unconstitutional war on drugs. This is our opportunity, do not let it pass us by.

Compiled very crude mock up:

Help Ron Paul Legalize Marijuana

10 term Congressman Ron Paul is the only major Presidential candidate to oppose the war on drugs. Although opposed to Marijuana on a personal level, he feels it is not the job of the government to make personal choices for citizens. Congressman Ron Paul believes that if an individual wants to use Marijuana it is that person's Constitutional right. As a strict constitutionalist, Ron Paul would bring in Supreme Court judges who recognize that the war on drugs violates the 10th Amendment of the Constitution.

* Ron Paul voted for the legalization of hemp!

* Voted 'No' on subjecting federal employees to random drug tests!

* Sponsored the States Rights To Medical Marijuana Act!

* Believes that the federal government does not have the constitutional right to regulate drugs!

* Ron Paul not only supports decriminalization, but full legalization!

If we want full legalization of Marijuana, we will need the Supreme Court on our side. As President, Ron Paul will only nominate judges who recognize the full scope of the 10th amendment. Ron Paul will work tirelessly to end the illegal and unconstitutional war on drugs. This is our opportunity, do not let it pass you by.

Ozwest
12-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Don't want to be a wet blanket, but having advertised myself in publications, the differences in pricing vary greatly in relation to placement. There are reasons for this.

surf
12-09-2007, 03:37 PM
i like the idea. the ad should include mention of registering to vote and then voting - with implications that every vote does count and we can do this thing.

i'd like to see the reader pic of the month in front of an RP banner if anyone submits these....

boondoggle
12-09-2007, 03:38 PM
I think if you place an ad in this magazine, it should be rather serious- not some doob.

I agree, can't be stupid. It's a great idea though.

fortilite
12-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Help improve this, we need some specific calls to action. How should we word the official website, phone number, registration needs, etc?

* Believes that the federal government does not have the constitutional right to regulate drugs!

If we want full legalization of Marijuana, we will need the Supreme Court on our side. As President, Ron Paul will only nominate judges who recognize the full scope of the 10th amendment. Ron Paul will work tirelessly to end the illegal and unconstitutional war on drugs. This is our opportunity, do not let it pass you by.

1913_to_2008
12-09-2007, 03:42 PM
This is huge. For that price this is the best deal out there. Anyone reading that magazine will be instantly converted. These people are very passionate about their marijuana. Millions of people for 3,600. Deal.......I'll be pitching in on this.

rich34
12-09-2007, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't use that title. I'd use the title "Help Ron Paul end the War on Drugs." That he'll do, but he can't "legalize" marijuana because it will become a state issue.

Ozwest
12-09-2007, 03:46 PM
I agree it is a good idea, but don't submit the ad leaving all discretion of placement to the publisher. That is not good business practice.

fortilite
12-09-2007, 03:49 PM
I agree it is a good idea, but don't submit the ad leaving all discretion of placement to the publisher. That is not good business practice.

Don't worry, I am talking to them about that right now. I am also asking about circulation numbers. Thanks for the input, I will make sure to not get jerked around (although they do seem to like Ron Paul you never know).

brumans
12-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Help improve this, we need some specific calls to action. How should we word the official website, phone number, registration needs, etc?

Excellent! Someone needs to make an ad with those text points.
I think this would have a high conversion rate. Who is going to start a chip-in?

fortilite
12-09-2007, 03:51 PM
I wouldn't use that title. I'd use the title "Help Ron Paul end the War on Drugs." That he'll do, but he can't "legalize" marijuana because it will become a state issue.

SIZE="4"]Help Ron Paul End The War On Drugs[/SIZE]

Anyone got more suggestions for improvement? I'll implement them!

fortilite
12-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Excellent! Someone needs to make an ad with those text points.
I think this would have a high conversion rate. Who is going to start a chip-in?

I'll do the chip-in if no one else does, although I'd prefer someone who has already done a print ad chip-in. I have no experience.

Ozwest
12-09-2007, 03:55 PM
fortilite,

Cool. Sounds like you've got everything under control.

Plenty of votes in High Times. Market niche big time!

fortilite
12-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks Ozwest!

I'll do the chip-in, someone want to take charge of making the actual ad? We have the text already, just needs some touching up. I'll send you the technical details. Let's make this happen, we have a strict deadline for the ad!

surf
12-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Needs a small bit about what everyone can do, imo

fortilite
12-09-2007, 04:02 PM

I agree, also maybe small print text about how registration requirements per state, etc. or maybe a link to the information.

Andrew-Austin
12-09-2007, 04:03 PM

Vote for him and support his campaign?

That is about as much as the ad can ask...

Just have "go to ronpaul2008.com for more information on voter registration etc."

specsaregood
12-09-2007, 04:04 PM
(although they do seem to like Ron Paul you never know).

I would bet that is a safe guess. They covered him in '88
http://www.scribd.com/doc/34107/Ron-Paul-The-Pot-Candidate

bgoldwater
12-09-2007, 04:05 PM
I don't think it's worth it. Most of the readers will forget to vote.

PRIEST
12-09-2007, 04:11 PM

I don't think so. Ron Paul is the candidate cannabis fans have been waiting for their entire lives.

trey4sports
12-09-2007, 04:13 PM

the stereotypical cannabis user is not what the media portrays, this would be a nice niche market to pull onto the campaign

ty1er
12-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Since this is the issue through which I was introduced to Paul, I'd be glad to make a donation towards this once the add is put together.

fortilite
12-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Excellent. I am doing the chip-in, I'll start it once we get someone to do the ad.

Any takers? It doesn't need to be complex, and we have 90% of the text already written.

Here is rough mockup so far:

Help Ron Paul End The War On Drugs

We also will elaborate on registering to vote and will need to put the standard warning at the bottom and top. Any PDF experts here? Please, the sooner we get a volunteer for this the better because we have a deadline.

fortilite
12-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Here is the thread dedicated to the design of the ad:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=50473

terryp
12-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Some suggestions for your consideration.

1) The add should be subdued Decriminalize vs. legalize
2) Make it personal for everyday people show old, young, sick, and professional
3) Tell them they must ADD their vote with the grassroots ;)
4) If it can be perforated it could and should be used as a flier

Arklatex
12-09-2007, 04:26 PM
We might want to think about doing 2!

MadTheologian
12-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Let me see what I can do for lay out...

It needs something straight forward and none of the psychedelic cliches.

fortilite
12-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Let me see what I can do for lay out...

It needs something straight forward and none of the psychedelic cliches.

I agree, it should look serious. Thank you very much! We greatly need your help.

MadTheologian
12-09-2007, 04:59 PM
This ad is based on the Ogilvy ad layout. Headline, huge pic, sans-serif font. Simple and Straightforward.

http://www.carolrutz.com/ronpaul2008/rpEndWar.pdf

Kind Comments and Suggestions are appreciated.

fortilite
12-09-2007, 05:07 PM
This ad is based on the Ogilvy ad layout. Headline, huge pic, sans-serif font. Simple and Straightforward.

http://www.carolrutz.com/ronpaul2008/rpEndWar.pdf

Kind Comments and Suggestions are appreciated.

Looks like a great start.

1) Maybe we should get rid of the exclamation marks on the points, although maybe keep the one on the last one (the red one).

2) Bolding error on the points in the center. "He sponsored"

Now, what are we supposed to add to make it FEC compliant?

Jordan
12-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Thats a one issue voting type of demographic. I'm sure the Ad will help quite a bit in a magazine like that.

MadTheologian
12-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Yes...less exclamation points...more cowbell.

And I'll clean up the bold errors.

Mr Lepard has his disclaimer on the bottom of his USA Today ad.

To make it kosher, it should say:

"Paid for by [name], [email]. NOT AUTHORIZED BY ANY CANDIDATE OR CANDIDATE"S COMMITTEE."

Antonius Stone
12-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Help Ron Paul End The War On Drugs

We also will elaborate on registering to vote and will need to put the standard warning at the bottom and top. Any PDF experts here? Please, the sooner we get a volunteer for this the better because we have a deadline.

ALSO!

Add that as a Medical Doctor, Ron Paul thinks that there is a lot of potential for marijuana as medicine and believes that the private sector should be allowed to further research it

surf
12-09-2007, 05:22 PM
i still think that it needs to emphasize that the opportunity to do something requires voting in primaries and spreading the word.
i'd throw in one of his quotes about "throwing ill people in prison for smoking pot is insane"

hillertexas
12-09-2007, 05:30 PM
just some more inspiration

http://www.newsli.com/2007/12/06/giuliani-romney-mccain-offered-10000-to-prove-statements-on-medical-marijuana/
Giuliani, Romney, McCain Offered $10,000 to Prove Statements on Medical Marijuana

http://www.newsli.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/mpp_billboard_crop-1.jpg

Antonius Stone
12-09-2007, 05:30 PM
i still think that it needs to emphasize that the opportunity to do something requires voting in primaries and spreading the word.
i'd throw in one of his quotes about "throwing ill people in prison for smoking pot is insane"

what he said to that guy Clayton in the wheelchair:

"I would absolutely never use the federal government to force the law on anyone using Marijuana"

MadTheologian
12-09-2007, 05:34 PM
http://www.carolrutz.com/ronpaul2008/rpdraft2.pdf

I've added a FEC disclaimer, which I will revise when I get the name of the individual or group who is spearheading this. And thanx for the suggestion regarding Ron Paul as a medical doctor.

MadTheologian
12-09-2007, 05:37 PM
We only have this limited space...and overcrowding it would be quite messy.

Basically, we are preaching to the choir and if the readership of High Times understands that he desires the End to the War on Drugs, all else follows.

tamor
12-09-2007, 05:41 PM
Thanks, Hillertexas. It is interesting to see what other states are doing --

fortilite
12-09-2007, 05:50 PM
I think it's looking pretty good, MadTheologian. I'll have info on the FEC part in just a bit. Get your suggestions in folks for fine tuning the ad.

Also we should add something like "Find out what it takes to vote in the Republican Primaries in YOUR state." Maybe put it below the webpage. And can the webpage text be a tad smaller?

Geronimo
12-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Is there a chipin set up yet?

bgoldwater
12-09-2007, 05:58 PM
It should be really simple. Stoners have short attention spans.

fortilite
12-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Is there a chipin set up yet?

Yes, I will post it in just a bit but I need to find out if I need to do anything to make it FEC compliant. I made the chipin and paypal account. Do I need to do anything else?

MadTheologian
12-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Third Revision--

http://www.carolrutz.com/ronpaul2008/rpdraft3.pdf

HT can crop up the white part to the light green part.

Will make the web site part a tad smaller.

Rhys
12-09-2007, 06:05 PM
This is how I see a very early rough draft.

http://normlnj.org/non_affiliated/RonPaul_Ad_Hightimes_7125x9875.JPG

toddwj86
12-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Marc Emery commented on my video here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyzWf-ElW8I

fortilite
12-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Third Revision--

http://www.carolrutz.com/ronpaul2008/rpdraft3.pdf

HT can crop up the white part to the light green part.

Will make the web site part a tad smaller.

It's light blue on my screen.

Maybe just plain white background, we might not have a full bleed and plain white is easy. Also plain white looks nice.

We need to have something about registering to vote in the Republican Primaries.

fortilite
12-09-2007, 06:10 PM
This is how I see a very early rough draft.

That's cool, did you just come up with that?

Should we have a poll thread to vote between the two?

Rhys
12-09-2007, 06:12 PM
That's cool, did you just come up with that?

Should we have a poll thread to vote between the two?

Yeah, in like 15 minutes lol it's not done!

MadTheologian
12-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Rhys--

That's sweet!

MadTheologian
12-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Fourth Revision--

http://www.carolrutz.com/ronpaul2008/rpdraft4.pdf

AggieforPaul
12-09-2007, 06:28 PM
Not a bad idea in theory, but I could see this getting used against us in the future.

And besides, can we really count on stoners to get out and vote? :P

Rhys
12-09-2007, 06:30 PM
its just an ad. the people who will see it support reform.

Antonius Stone
12-09-2007, 06:34 PM
I'm going to start working on my own version of the Ad once i get back from work later tonight

but I will say that I think we should continue to tie-in theme of the Founding Fathers and the American Revolution. How can we do that here?

remind everyone that George Washington and Thomas Jefferson Grew Hemp

fortilite
12-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Cool, we can vote on the one we want later tonight and maybe finalize it tomorrow. That'll get in our deadline!

Antonius Stone
12-09-2007, 06:36 PM
also, there's evidence to suggest that Franklin, Washington and Jefferson actually blazed

but I'm not sure if we should go there, at least not with this ad

surf
12-09-2007, 06:40 PM
version 4 looks great
i'd try and sweet-talk the publisher into helping us out as much as he can

fortilite
12-09-2007, 06:43 PM
The Pac is:

Supporters Of Ron Paul Opposing Drug Wars

MadTheologian
12-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Version 5

http://www.carolrutz.com/ronpaul2008/rpdraft5.pdf

Shii
12-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Not a bad idea in theory, but I could see this getting used against us in the future.

And besides, can we really count on stoners to get out and vote? :P

Remember: the "stoners" who read High Times are not just lazy bastards you're thinking of, but terminally ill people who need pot to stop awful pain, civil libertarians, people who work in poor communities and want the drug war to end... The more people we can get the message to, the better.

robskicks
12-09-2007, 07:40 PM
add in somewhere that he is leading fundraising or something about how real his chance is of getting elected.. if people have never heard of him they might think he has no chance...

Rhys
12-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Here is a second direction I was thinking of. Here's a link so you can see full size.

http://normlnj.org/non_affiliated/RonPaul_Ad_Hightimes_A2.jpg

http://normlnj.org/non_affiliated/RonPaul_Ad_Hightimes_A2.jpg

Arklatex
12-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Remember to put in an overall positive vibes man! Put in a 'freedom unites us' quote or something groovy. Give it some rad colors!

DrNoZone
12-09-2007, 07:45 PM
It should be really simple. Stoners have short attention spans.

That's a ridiculous stereotype that shouldn't be repeated. Though I (unfortunately) no longer smoke, I was a daily smoker for a decade and had NO issues with memory whatsoever.

Oh, and this ad is a stellar idea!

all J's in IL for RP
12-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Isn't this something that can wait until after, you know, Iowa and South Carolina?

cayton
12-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Version 5

http://www.carolrutz.com/ronpaul2008/rpdraft5.pdf

Last sentence... Change "ron paul believes in medical marijuana" to something else.

That is asking for trouble. He doesnt believe in it so much as he believes that we should be free to explore it for ourselves, or with the help of our doctors.

I suggest something like "As a medical doctor of x years experience, Ron Paul believes patients should have the choice of exploring medical marijuana"

PS: not trying to be overly critical, but I regularly enjoy certain things and very much want them legalized, but it is a small part of a big picture and we need to let his record stand for itself without making the good doctor seem as if he WANTS people to use. He wants them to have the choice, without condoning it himself. This is the key difference that I think an ad of this type needs to show.

MadTheologian
12-09-2007, 07:48 PM
add in somewhere that he is leading fundraising or something about how real his chance is of getting elected.. if people have never heard of him they might think he has no chance...

Once they type in the official website, they will see the "$12 million to Win" gauge!

MadTheologian
12-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Last sentence... Change "ron paul believes in medical marijuana" to something else.

That is asking for trouble. He doesnt believe in it so much as he believes that we should be free to explore it for ourselves, or with the help of our doctors.

I suggest something like "As a medical doctor of x years experience, Ron Paul believes patients should have the choice of exploring medical marijuana"

PS: not trying to be overly critical, but I regularly enjoy certain things and very much want them legalized, but it is a small part of a big picture and we need to let his record stand for itself without making the good doctor seem as if he WANTS people to use. He wants them to have the choice, without condoning it himself. This is the key difference that I think an ad of this type needs to show.

Good point! I revised it to reflect that.

fortilite
12-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Should we start comparing everyones ads to decide which one we want to run with? Or should we wait until tomorrow?

MadTheologian
12-09-2007, 08:16 PM
http://www.carolrutz.com/ronpaul2008/rpdraft6.pdf

Arklatex
12-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Wait until tomorrow, we need to get some artists in here.

jenninlouisiana
12-09-2007, 08:17 PM
Cannabis Culture is talking about Ron Paul in the January issue.

MadTheologian
12-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Cannabis Culture is talking about Ron Paul in the January issue.

Which is a great reason why we need a HT ad: One should not place all attention in one magazine; an article at a similar popular but competing magazine will get more attention and readers.

jenninlouisiana
12-09-2007, 08:29 PM
An article or an ad?

Rhys
12-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Here's another draft. Are any of these worth pursuing?

http://normlnj.org/non_affiliated/RonPaul_Ad_Hightimes_A3.jpg

DirtMcGirt
12-09-2007, 08:46 PM
I think high times should run a story on him, we shouldn't have to pay.

fortilite
12-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Ok, so here are 3 to choose between. Someone said they were coming up with one too but I haven't heard anything more:

Remember we need to put "Not Supported By Candidate Or Committee" in the ad.

Hurricane Bruiser
12-09-2007, 08:52 PM
It's looking pretty good. I would like to see a good quote from Ron Paul in there.

boondoggle
12-09-2007, 09:30 PM
bumpp

mmink15
12-09-2007, 09:33 PM
I support ending the drug war, but I wonder how many votes a High Times advert would turn into realistically. An article would be a different story, but an advertisement might not turn into real support meaning that it's money better spent.

1913_to_2008
12-09-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm not sure how many readers their are but, the price is something like $3,500. That's nothing for the amount of votes that will come out of this. Additionally everyone should bring slim jims/bumper stickers to their local head shops.

There are 20 million dope smokers in this country. These people will ALL vote for RP if they just here his message!!! That's why I cut and paste under Bob Marley/ Pink Floyd Videos on u tube everyday telling them that he will legalize it!!

pooflinger1488
12-09-2007, 10:20 PM
Make sure it includes something about registering Republican and actually voting! I think it should include a question too. Possibly along the lines of "Do you want to never be bothered again for smoking marijuana?" And a quote would be nice from Ron Paul. Possibly "The government can't make you a better person, it can't make you follow good habits." Anything of this nature would be cool in an ad like this!

Birdlady
12-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Not to be negative, BUT if we are spending $3500 on the placement, why not spend $200 on getting a real professional ad made. There is probably a graphic design student that would love to get that kind of money right now. I just think sometimes we create these ads and they look cheesy as we spend thousands of dollars on the placement. It doesn't make sense to me.

This ad I don't like at all. Yes it has good information, but it's the wrong idea completely.

These two are on the right track. The one has too much information and the other one has too little information. Somewhere in between would be delightful!

I like the Ron Paul REVOLution concept, but it isn't blended properly with the text. And the text is too small.

Rhys
12-10-2007, 12:37 AM
damn so critical. they're just concepts. You know, like story boards.

I wouldn't normally say anything, but this is how i earn my living, i hope a student can't do better for $200! You don't have to like my work, but don't call 15 minute concepts 'armature!'

Really great ads cost time, not just money. I could give you an iPod quality ad with enough time.

anyway, back on topic... i'm thinking about making a half panel with text on one side. If I don't, it's because info isn't necessary here. One of my clients is NORML, so I already know that movement... the movement already knows Ron Paul. These ad concept are designed for impact value; they'll be burned onto the subconscious.

any you don't have to think i'm right, but don't call a student! at least get a different pro! damn.

Revolution9
12-10-2007, 12:47 AM
damn so crititcal. they're just concepts. You know, like story boards.

this is how i earn my living, i hope a student can't do better for $200! lol

It is the perils of design by committee. I would do alot more for the grassroots if I did not have to deal with the "committee" mindset. Not that some are not correct but the artistic backbiting that goes on I would rather stay far away from.

Best
Randy

MadTheologian
12-10-2007, 12:52 AM
Well...I try to aim to the serious side, and not do the cliched acid fonts and pot leaves. It was mainly based on an Ogilvy-style format.

In fact, this is my first effort at even designing an ad for any mag.

Rhys
12-10-2007, 12:57 AM
It is the perils of design by committee. I would do alot more for the grassroots if I did not have to deal with the "committee" mindset. Not that some are not correct but the artistic backbiting that goes on I would rather stay far away from.

Best
Randy

So true. I sometimes tell clients that if I'm wrong, tell me after it's too late! I'm only half kidding.

Rhys
12-10-2007, 01:14 AM
I'm trying to help your ad cause you have potential:

Ogilvy would have wanted more visual contrast. His blocky concept doesn't work without contrast. Visual appealing elements are crucial to such a simple framework. you need to find a way to 'Guide the Eye'. It wont follow a centered text block such as you have it. I wouldn't worry so much about Ogilvy anyway... he's 60 years behind the times. :)

OferNave
12-10-2007, 03:34 AM
Don't need to waste money on a professional, you guys are doing great.

I do want to repeat the unanswered question asked earlier about circulation. We need to be able to quantify the return before deciding whether to fund it. For example, the Carbondale, IL group are trying to raise $3k to run llepard's ad in their local paper which has a readership of 40k. How does this compare?

GoRon2008
12-10-2007, 03:44 AM
hey guys.. as far as paying a "professional"...

I have made more than $200 for making something like this....

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z194/curtislee5/test6.jpg

I designed web sites and logos for many businesses. The only two sites still online are these....

http://www.rwisupply.com

http://www.cedillocustoms.com

I have only done a few ads and to be honest, I am not very good at it. I feel like my creativity is very limited to actually be able to do what I want.

Im not trying to toot my own horn, I am just saying you won't get much from the average graphic designer. Sure, there are tons of amazing designers but it would cost you allot more than $200.

Hopefully, we can figure something out that is free!!

Keep the ideas coming!

cayton
12-10-2007, 11:52 AM
I think most of the ads that have gone through revisions are just fine to run. HT is a mag that is tailored to a very distinct group of people, who would all love to hear a presidental candidate say the things ron is saying.

Reaching these people for 3.5k? Totally worth it. That is a very small amount of money to reach so many of a highly targeted audience who will no doubt agree with you.

rawkd
12-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Here's another draft. Are any of these worth pursuing?

I really like this one. Maybe a little bit more text explaining Dr Paul's position on hemp.

Cleaner44
12-10-2007, 02:50 PM
It would be a great target.

Ball
12-10-2007, 05:33 PM
I've used the hemp slim jims. They're very cool and eye-catching.

If the HT ad looks anything like them, I'm chipping in for sure!

Hard sell works best here. Perhaps the title, in huge bold letters:

LEGAL MARIJUANA?
(or "LEGAL HIGH")

then hit the reader with point-for-point reasons to put the pipe down and vote for this guy!

Rhys
12-10-2007, 09:35 PM
I really like this one. Maybe a little bit more text explaining Dr Paul's position on hemp.

Thanks. I'll proceed with this one. I have some ideas for doing what you say.