PDA

View Full Version : Red-light camera exec gets $2M fine, 30 months in prison...

ronpaulhawaii
11-16-2016, 02:22 PM
The former CEO of a red-light camera firm who bribed officials in two states got her own chance last week to appear before a judge, who doubled her prison time to 30 months and imposed a $2 million fine.

Karen Finley, former chief executive of Redflex Traffic Systems, was found guilty of paying off a Chicago official to help the company win contracts to install the cameras, which catch and ticket speeders, at traffic lights. She was already serving a 14-month sentence for her role in a similar scheme in Ohio when the federal judge threw the book at her Thursday.

Finley paid off John Bills, the No. 2 official in Chicago’s Transportation Department, to steer tens of millions of dollars in contracts to Redflex, which is based in Australia and has U.S. headquarters in Arizona. Bills, who rose to his position from street lamp maintenance man over a 30-year career, was sentenced in August to 10 years in federal prison.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/11/16/red-light-camera-exec-gets-2m-fine-30-months-in-prison-for-bribery-scam.html

Hope to see more of this climbing upstream...

tod evans
11-16-2016, 02:25 PM
I still think disembowelment of wayward government employees would set a better example.

RJB
11-16-2016, 02:26 PM
I wonder who they pissed off? Isn't this business as usual? Great news, none the less.

RJB
11-16-2016, 02:27 PM
I still think disembowelment of wayward government employees would set a better example.

I would simply be happy if they refunded the people they ripped off. Fines just go to the con men in the system.

phill4paul
11-16-2016, 02:37 PM
Personally I feel the government officials that accepted her bribe, and not reporting it, should have gotten twice her sentence for offering a bribe. But, something is better than nothing. And I agree with RJB that those that got ticket should have remuneration for any fines levied.

otherone
11-16-2016, 02:48 PM
Personally I feel the government officials that accepted her bribe, and not reporting it, should have gotten twice her sentence for offering a bribe.

read the OP again.

phill4paul
11-16-2016, 02:58 PM
read the OP again.

Ah, thanks for the correction. My mind read the government employee sentence as 10 months as opposed to 10 years. Good. And thanks again for the redirection, but, alas, I am out of reps for you.