PDA

View Full Version : Papers Please!

Razmear
06-30-2007, 08:01 PM
Unrelated to RP, but shows good reason to be against National ID.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070630/ap_on_re_us/mandatory_carding_1;_ylt=Aj7Esyvvq7HvwWEZK3rDpnUE1 vAI

snips:
Everyone shows ID for beer in Tenn.

"But once people live with it for a month or two, it's going to go fine," he said. "It gets routine after a while."

Richard Rollins, who owns a convenience store in Nashville, is already using a computerized scanner to check everyone's driver's licenses when they buy beer. "We just say we're trying to keep our beer permit, and this is the safest way," Rollins said.

But it has stopped Jeff Campbell from shopping at Rollins' market.

"I don't mind them asking for my ID, but they don't need my driver's license number," said Campbell, 43. "I'm just buying a six-pack. All they need to know is how old I am."

Rollins said scanning licenses has proved beneficial in other ways, such as catching criminals.

When one customer tried to make a purchase using a counterfeit bill, Rollins said police were able to track him down because the receipt from the scanner showed his name and license number — and his address.

kalami
06-30-2007, 08:08 PM
"And the 63-year-old governor said he personally won't mind the extra effort to buy beer.

"I'll be very pleased when I'm carded, and in my mind I'll just imagine it's because I look so young," he said."

Does this idiot actually believe himself?

austin356
06-30-2007, 08:24 PM
"And the 63-year-old governor said he personally won't mind the extra effort to buy beer.

"I'll be very pleased when I'm carded, and in my mind I'll just imagine it's because I look so young," he said."

Does this idiot actually believe himself?

did he just say that?

This has absolutely nothing to do with effort, and everything to do with practically every principle this nation was founded upon. What a scum bag.

Razmear
06-30-2007, 08:42 PM
I guess the scary part of this article for me was:
"When one customer tried to make a purchase using a counterfeit bill, Rollins said police were able to track him down because the receipt from the scanner showed his name and license number — and his address."

Which with the same technology also means:
"When someone purchased 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 ammunition, the local FBI/ATF branches were alerted and provided with his name and license number — and his address."

That local grocery store is networked to a larger database for record keeping.

eb

Wyurm
06-30-2007, 09:09 PM
I guess the scary part of this article for me was:
"When one customer tried to make a purchase using a counterfeit bill, Rollins said police were able to track him down because the receipt from the scanner showed his name and license number — and his address."

Which with the same technology also means:
"When someone purchased 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 ammunition, the local FBI/ATF branches were alerted and provided with his name and license number — and his address."

That local grocery store is networked to a larger database for record keeping.

eb

and that is why I don't like this trend. I dont mind having to show proof that I'm old enough to buy alcohol, what I do mind is giving all my personal info over to who knows how many different agencies or people.