PDA

View Full Version : Rudy Giuliani Says Defeating ISIS to Be Early Focus of Donald Trump’s Foreign Policy

CPUd
11-15-2016, 07:51 AM
Rudy Giuliani Says Defeating ISIS to Be Early Focus of Donald Trump’s Foreign Policy

WASHINGTON—Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani said Monday that President-elect Donald Trump would likely focus much of his initial foreign-policy strategy on destroying Islamic State, setting aside more vexing problems in the Middle East and elsewhere.

The comments came shortly after The Wall Street Journal reported that Mr. Giuliani is one of the leading candidates to become Mr. Trump’s first secretary of state.

During an appearance Monday evening at The Wall Street Journal CEO Council gathering, Mr. Giuliani suggested several times that he would be interested in the post, going into great detail about how he views foreign policy and how his views overlap with Mr. Trump’s.

“ISIS, short-term I believe, is the greatest danger and not because ISIS is in Iraq and in Syria, but because ISIS did something al Qaeda never did—ISIS was able to spread itself around the world,” he said.

Mr. Giuliani didn’t say, however, what specifically the Trump administration would do to combat Islamic State, also called ISIS or ISIL. Mr. Trump has repeatedly said he wants to keep this strategy secret so that the terror network can’t prepare for it.

Mr. Giuliani also said that the Trump administration would work to reset relations with both Russia and China. He said the Obama administration had made Russia into an adversary and said Russian President Vladimir Putin didn't respect President Barack Obama. Messrs. Trump and Putin spoke on the telephone on Monday and pledged to work together on a number of issues.

The Obama administration does have a complicated relationship with Mr. Putin, and they have been at odds for several years over the Syrian civil war. The White House tried to reset relations with Russia several years ago, but Russia’s annexation of Crimea from Ukraine and its support for rebels in Eastern Ukraine has pushed the U.S. and Russia further apart.

Mr. Trump has repeatedly said he wants to work more cooperatively with Mr. Putin, but Mr. Giuliani gave a slightly more confrontational view of how that relationship could develop.

“Russia thinks it’s a military competitor, it really isn’t,” Mr. Giuliani said. “It’s our unwillingness under Obama to even threaten the use of our military that makes Russia so powerful.”

On China, Mr. Giuliani said the Trump administration would prefer to engage with that country on economic issues such as trade. Mr. Trump plans to label China a “currency manipulator” shortly after taking office, a move that will likely escalate tensions between both countries, economic analysts have speculated.

In the Middle East, Mr. Giuliani painted a picture of a collection of countries that are at odds with each other and on the brink of spilling into a broader regional war. He said that Iran had exerted its control over Iraq and Syria, though he didn’t offer specifics on how Mr. Trump would work to address ongoing problems in the region.

On Iraq, Mr. Trump has said the U.S.-led invasion in 2003 was one of the greatest foreign policy mistakes in U.S. history, but Mr. Giuliani had a different take.

“I think the way we exited Iraq was the worst decision made in American history,” he said, saying it allowed Islamic State to flourish in the vacuum that was created. This is a common criticism from Republicans of the White House’s foreign policy.

Mr. Giuliani is well known for his tenure as New York mayor, his work as a federal prosecutor and issues like counterterrorism and homeland security. He is less well-known for his foreign-policy views.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/rudy-giuliani-says-defeating-isis-to-be-early-focus-of-donald-trumps-foreign-policy-1479174875

Sola_Fide
11-15-2016, 08:12 AM
Enemies everywhere.

Enjoy the Trump regime you idiots.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Jamesiv1
11-15-2016, 08:18 AM
http://www.wsj.com/articles/rudy-giuliani-says-defeating-isis-to-be-early-focus-of-donald-trumps-foreign-policy-1479174875
That's actually a really smart move.

It will clearly demonstrate the bald-faced lies of the Obama administration, and create an opportunity for a decisive military victory partnered with Putin.

That's pretty genius.

Jamesiv1
11-15-2016, 08:22 AM
If Trump and Putin buddy-up with a goal to stabilize the Middle East... omg is all i can say.

Trump and Putin vs. The Globalists?

thoughtomator
11-15-2016, 08:26 AM
If Trump and Putin buddy-up with a goal to stabilize the Middle East... omg is all i can say.

Ah... the light dawns on another.

Welcome to the real world, Neo.

Tywysog Cymru
11-15-2016, 10:35 AM
I thought we made this guy irrelevant?

AuH20
11-15-2016, 10:38 AM

Putin retained control from the banksters after Yeltsin let them scavenge the place.

undergroundrr
11-15-2016, 11:22 AM
I thought we made this guy irrelevant?

It's a neocon resurrection.

trumpies will never admit that there is no reason whatsoever for the names of Bolton and Giuliani to have even come up if trump was truly there to drain the swamp. Don't be shocked when Wolfowitz arises from the dead. ("but he HATED trump", blah blah blah)

CPUd
11-15-2016, 11:35 AM
see something say something

https://i.imgur.com/7YuNW7e.png

phill4paul
11-15-2016, 12:53 PM
How about we quit giving them arms and just pull all our forces out of the region? I'm sure that is what Giuliani is suggesting. Isn't it.

Jamesiv1
11-15-2016, 12:54 PM
Putin retained control from the banksters after Yeltsin let them scavenge the place.
Interesting.

I would like to read up on that if you have a link or two.

AuH20
11-15-2016, 01:00 PM
Interesting.

I would like to read up on that if you have a link or two.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/10/18/business/easy-money-special-report-for-russia-its-us-bankers-match-wasn-t-made-heaven.html

True, Russia was a mess, the Government's bank accounts were almost empty and even the postal system was near collapse. But Goldman wanted to become Russia's leading deal maker, paid handsomely to finance the Government and newly private businesses. Now was the time to prove that Goldman could come through with money in a crisis.

So in the days preceding its elegant soiree, Goldman helped the Government raise money by selling $1.25 billion in bonds. A few weeks later, it arranged a complex deal in which short-term debt was exchanged for long-term debt to give Russia financial breathing room.

It was not enough. By late August, the Russian Government stopped paying what it owed on much of its debt. Buyers of the bonds that Goldman sold now hold nearly worthless paper. Goldman itself escaped the blood bath: in the course of those bond deals it earned tens of millions of dollars in fees and protected hundreds of millions of dollars it had at stake in Russia. When the Government defaulted, Goldman said its losses were ''absolutely minimal.''

Senior Goldman executives expressed regret that Russia's economic program collapsed and that the deals that bear Goldman's imprimatur did not always work as intended. But they defended the firm's role there as ''very constructive'' and attributed the country's troubles to problems that had little to do with investment banking. Goldman maintains a small office in Russia.

But the firm's troubled bond deal and the skillful protection of its own money are a window on the role that many investment banks played in the breathless rise and fall of the newly liberated Russian economy. To critics, including Russian officials, analysts and some investment bankers who worked in Russia, Wall Street helped hook Russia on easy money, rarely saying no or advising clients to take it slow. They fed the seemingly insatiable appetite for borrowed money.

Bankers helped the Russian Government borrow billions from foreign investors before it could reliably collect taxes to pay them back. Bankers flattered the country's oligarchs, an emerging class of elite businessmen, with generous loans that many commercial banks shunned as too risky. They helped regional governments raise money for farms through ''agro bonds,'' even though the system of money-draining Soviet-style collectives never ended.

With the help of investment bankers, Russia built a roaring bond market, but never developed a bricks-and-mortar banking system that provided loans the conventional way. Nor did Russia attract much investment from multinational companies. Such companies have committed about $8.7 billion to the country, while Russia's governments and businesses have incurred more than four times that much in short-term debt that must be repaid within a year.

''What the Russian problem reflects is that today's bankers often don't have long-lasting concerns about customer-client relations,'' said Paul A. Volcker, the former chairman of the Federal Reserve and an occasional adviser to Russian government officials. ''You just do the deal and get out.''

Jamesiv1
11-15-2016, 02:10 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/1998/10/18/business/easy-money-special-report-for-russia-its-us-bankers-match-wasn-t-made-heaven.html
Very interesting. Thanks.

If I was Russia, I would be peeved and be on the lookout for creative and fun ways to inflict pain upon banksters.

enhanced_deficit
11-15-2016, 06:42 PM
They have already defeated "creators of ISIS".. so anything is posssible.

http://lybio.net/wp-content/uploads/Donald-Trump-Says-Clinton-Created-ISIS-With-Obama.jpg

Occam's Banana
11-15-2016, 10:36 PM
If I was Russia, I would be peeved and be on the lookout for creative and fun ways to inflict pain upon banksters.

I would be those things even if I wasn't Russia ...

UWDude
11-15-2016, 10:55 PM
How about we quit giving them arms and just pull all our forces out of the region? I'm sure that is what Giuliani is suggesting. Isn't it.

I don't know about giulianni, but since it has been proven the Clinton Foundation supplied arms to ISIS, and since Trump said to Hillary Clinton's face she is the creator of ISIS, I would guess Trump might have a clue about what is going on over there, and how to stop it.

Ender
11-15-2016, 11:22 PM

Obviously.

And, let us not even talk about the fact that ISIS is simply Al Qaeda with a new name. You know, the Al Qaeda that the US formed to take out the Russians in Afghanistan? Those guys? ;)

UWDude
11-15-2016, 11:45 PM
A formal declaration of war might be interesting.

CPUd
11-15-2016, 11:50 PM
I don't know about giulianni, but since it has been proven the Clinton Foundation supplied arms to ISIS, and since Trump said to Hillary Clinton's face she is the creator of ISIS, I would guess Trump might have a clue about what is going on over there, and how to stop it.

He knows more about ISIS than the generals.

UWDude
11-15-2016, 11:55 PM
He knows more about ISIS than the generals.

If he knows ISIS is an American/gulf state creation, and they don't, he just might.

CPUd
11-16-2016, 12:09 AM
If he knows ISIS is an American/gulf state creation, and they don't, he just might.

They're chopping off heads!

UWDude
11-16-2016, 12:12 AM
They're chopping off heads!

and annihilating Iraq and Syria.

Ender
11-16-2016, 12:13 AM
A formal declaration of war might be interesting.

Now, that would be interesting- hasn't happened since WWII.

The biggest problem is there is no specific country to declare war on; that's why the WoT has been so convenient.

dannno
11-16-2016, 12:13 AM
"Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer"

"When a magician is doing a trick, don't look at the hand with the swan in it, look at the other hand."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OxLZz_IjD8