PDA

View Full Version : TRUMP's border wall plan materializes - Construction to begin in March

goldenequity
11-11-2016, 03:20 PM
https://i.imgur.com/4RSNkczl.jpg

TRUMP's border wall plan materializes (http://dailycaller.com/2016/11/10/trumps-plan-for-the-wall-on-the-mexican-border-materializes/) - Construction to begin in March

Donald Trump plans to begin the process of constructing a wall on the southern border in March,
sources familiar with the president-elect’s transition team told The Daily Caller News Foundation.

The transition team is planning big spending negotiations with Congress at that time,
which will include money for the wall — a platform on which Trump built his campaign for the presidency.
He plans to make Mexico pay for the wall directly or indirectly
by increasing fees on visas and border crossing cards,
enforcing trade tariffs and taxing money transfers abroad.

Trump has said the wall, which will be at least 35 to 50 feet high
and made of pre-cast concrete, would cost anywhere from $8 billion to $12 billion.

Let the hunger games BEGIN! :)

Origanalist
11-11-2016, 03:24 PM
Fortress Amerika.

tod evans
11-11-2016, 03:25 PM
40 hrs a week labor for welfare checks, another 10 hours for foodstamps.

Prestressed concrete can be poured in every major metropolitan area.

If there's going to be a wall might as well use monies already promised to build the damn thing.

fisharmor
11-11-2016, 03:27 PM
...Did nobody tell him there's already a network of tunnels in place?

undergroundrr
11-11-2016, 03:48 PM
Ron Paul:

You’ll need a really efficient wall and a coast guard that goes up and down the coast blowing boats out of the water…The idea of building walls around the country, I think it’s a joke. I could never take a position that we need more barbed wire to solve this problem.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13221511_1071204479619301_1480512699460908280_n.jp g?oh=03ae19b246662101af276b506b6bb627&oe=588C77C9

seapilot
11-11-2016, 04:36 PM
...Did nobody tell him there's already a network of tunnels in place?

That way he can claim there is still free trade, movement of goods and people.

CPUd
11-11-2016, 05:15 PM
Compelling Mexico to Pay for the Wall

Introduction: The provision of the Patriot Act, Section 326 - the "know your customer" provision, compelling financial institutions to demand identity documents before opening accounts or conducting financial transactions is a fundamental element of the outline below. That section authorized the executive branch to issue detailed regulations on the subject, found at 31 CFR 130.120-121. It's an easy decision for Mexico: make a one-time payment of $5-10 billion to ensure that $24 billion continues to flow into their country year after year. There are several ways to compel Mexico to pay for the wall including the following:

On day 1 promulgate a "proposed rule" (regulation) amending 31 CFR 130.121 to redefine applicable financial institutions to include money transfer companies like Western Union, and redefine "account" to include wire transfers. Also include in the proposed rule a requirement that no alien may wire money outside of the United States unless the alien first provides a document establishing his lawful presence in the United States.

On day 2 Mexico will immediately protest. They receive approximately $24 billion a year in remittances from Mexican nationals working in the United States. The majority of that amount comes from illegal aliens. It serves as de facto welfare for poor families in Mexico. There is no significant social safety net provided by the state in Mexico.

On day 3 tell Mexico that if the Mexican government will contribute the funds needed to the United States to pay for the wall, the Trump Administration will not promulgate the final rule, and the regulation will not go into effect.

Trade tariffs, or enforcement of existing trade rules: There is no doubt that Mexico is engaging in unfair subsidy behavior that has eliminated thousands of U.S. jobs, and which we are obligated to respond to; the impact of any tariffs on the price imports will be more than offset by the economic and income gains of increased production in the United States, in addition to revenue from any tariffs themselves. Mexico needs access to our markets much more than the reverse, so we have all the leverage and will win the negotiation. By definition, if you have a large trade deficit with a nation, it means they are selling far more to you than the reverse - thus they, not you, stand to lose from enforcing trade rules through tariffs (as has been done to save many U.S. industries in the past).

Cancelling visas: Immigration is a privilege, not a right. Mexico is totally dependent on the United States as a release valve for its own poverty - our approvals of hundreds of thousands of visas to their nationals every year is one of our greatest leverage points. We also have leverage through business and tourist visas for important people in the Mexican economy. Keep in mind, the United States has already taken in 4X more migrants than any other country on planet earth, producing lower wages and higher unemployment for our own citizens and recent migrants.

Visa fees: Even a small increase in visa fees would pay for the wall. This includes fees on border crossing cards, of which more than 1 million are issued a year. The border-crossing card is also one of the greatest sources of illegal immigration into the United States, via overstays. Mexico is also the single largest recipient of U.S. green cards, which confer a path to U.S. citizenship. Again, we have the leverage so Mexico will back down.

Conclusion: Mexico has taken advantage of us in another way as well: gangs, drug traffickers and cartels have freely exploited our open borders and committed vast numbers of crimes inside the United States. The United States has borne the extraordinary daily cost of this criminal activity, including the cost of trials and incarcerations. Not to mention the even greater human cost. We have the moral high ground here, and all the leverage. It is time we use it in order to Make America Great Again.

https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/Pay_for_the_Wall.pdf

Zippyjuan
11-11-2016, 06:43 PM
First he has to get his proposal through Congress and get it OK'd and get funding for it. Then the government bidding process can begin (which can take months sometimes). Then the contractors have to bid their supplies and hire the workers. I say no way it is started by March.

UWDude
11-11-2016, 07:17 PM
First he has to get his proposal through Congress and get it OK'd and get funding for it. Then the government bidding process can begin (which can take months sometimes). Then the contractors have to bid their supplies and hire the workers. I say no way it is started by March.

Who cares about your predictions. You have been wrong about everything.

thoughtomator
11-11-2016, 07:21 PM
Fortress Amerika.

It's the "strong national defense" that Ron Paul talked about when you weren't listening.

Origanalist
11-11-2016, 08:16 PM
It's the "strong national defense" that Ron Paul talked about when you weren't listening.

Huh? What are you babbling about? Strong dreams lately?

enhanced_deficit
11-12-2016, 03:33 AM
Will it be modeled after Israeli Wall or would be lower in height?

CPUd
01-25-2017, 01:23 PM
https://twitter.com/devindwyer/status/824308850094440449

EBounding
01-25-2017, 01:28 PM
Why a wall? Why not just a long road and put border patrol agents on it?

I know the answer, but I'm just thinking in practical terms.

But I am really excited to get my reimbursement check from Mexico.

pcosmar
01-25-2017, 01:36 PM
Let me know when there is enough wall to piss on.

I have a new goal.

kpitcher
01-25-2017, 03:55 PM
I hope it's a tall wall...

"I just want to stand on the wall and piss off the edge of the world" - Tyrion Lannister

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/gameofthrones/images/0/08/Lord_Snow_tyrion_pisses_off_the_wall_1x03.png/revision/latest?cb=20160730041438

Okie RP fan
01-25-2017, 04:03 PM
Don't care for a wall.
There are other ways of securing a border and/or curtailing excessive illegal immigration.

Tywysog Cymru
01-25-2017, 04:10 PM
Some of the money for the wall will doubtlessly be from New Mexico taxpayers. So I guess he can say he made New Mexico paid for it.

Superfluous Man
01-25-2017, 04:18 PM
Don't care for a wall.
There are other ways of securing a border and/or curtailing excessive illegal immigration.

Yes, there are. But they're all bad.

brushfire
01-25-2017, 04:39 PM
40 hrs a week labor for welfare checks, another 10 hours for foodstamps.

Prestressed concrete can be poured in every major metropolitan area.

If there's going to be a wall might as well use monies already promised to build the damn thing.

I guess its time to invest in concrete and related commodities.

Cemex SAB de CV (CX (http://www.dividend.com/dividend-stocks/uncategorized/other/cx-cemex-sab-de-cv-adr-sponsored-new-rep-ord-partn-ctf-%28new%29-for-a-and/)): With a $10 billion market capitalization, CX is the largest cement producer in the world, selling products into more than 50 countries. The company only realized about 17% of its revenues from the U.S., but remains one of the largest suppliers to the market given its $15.14 billion in annual sales.
US Concrete Inc. (USCR): With a $108 million market capitalization, USCR provides ready-mixed concrete, precast concrete products and concrete-related products in select U.S.-only markets. As of March 2012, the firm had the capacity to produce 4 million cubic yards of ready-mix concrete and 3 million tons of aggregates [see also How To Lose Money Investing In Commodities (http://commodityhq.com/2011/how-to-lose-money-investing-in-commodities/)].
Eagle Materials Inc. (EXP (http://www.dividend.com/dividend-stocks/industrial-goods/cement/exp-eagle-materials/)): With a market capitalization of $2.5 billion, EXP is another U.S. provider of cement, concrete and aggregates. The company also manufactures and distributes gypsum wallboard which is used in construction, providing added exposure to the homebuilding industry.

brushfire
01-25-2017, 04:49 PM
Yes, there are. But they're all bad.

Not true
Take away the incentive. Deny them schooling, healthcare, etc... Deny them the incentive, and the illegal immigrants leave on their own dime. This is fact - few issues are easer to solve than the illegal immigrant problem. Right up there with "doctor, it hurts when I do this".

Look into what an illegal has to endure - the risks involved in crossing the border. Take away the reward and the risks are simply not worth it. Its also a more direct approach - a wall can have other unintended consequences.

Besides - people will scale the wall, go beneath it, or right though it. A wall will be nothing without active surveillance and a means to react. That will likely cost more than the wall itself.

opal
01-25-2017, 04:56 PM
So.. is anyone watching Colony.. second season just started and guess what? They just dropped in a wall.

SMH
Another reason to stay somewhat near a coast line...

01-25-2017, 05:08 PM
This is stupid. Everyone here knows better. Trump as potus can't just fund a wall by EO. Congress has to fund it. I don't think they will.

01-25-2017, 05:10 PM
So.. is anyone watching Colony.. second season just started and guess what? They just dropped in a wall.

SMH
Another reason to stay somewhat near a coast line...

I live in Maine. I can walk into Canada freely there is no barrier no fence no nothing except at the highway crossings. In winter people ride snowmobiles over the border.

Madison320
01-25-2017, 05:12 PM
"Trump has said the wall, which will be at least 35 to 50 feet high and made of pre-cast concrete, would cost anywhere from $8 billion to $12 billion."

Usually you have to multiply times 10 to the govt estimate. I'd say 100 billion is more like it. My gold is liking that wall.

CPUd
01-25-2017, 05:33 PM
I live in Maine. I can walk into Canada freely there is no barrier no fence no nothing except at the highway crossings. In winter people ride snowmobiles over the border.

What happens when you come back into the US?

01-25-2017, 06:06 PM
What happens when you come back into the US?

Nothing unless CBP notices. Which they don't in remote areas. If you try it within a few miles of the crossings they have motion detectors and cameras and you go to jail.

If things get bad enough that I want to walk into Canada, coming back will be the last thing on my mind.

You can legally enter Canada as a US citizen, no passport is needed. But you can't get back in without a passport so Canada will refuse you since you can't leave.

CPUd
01-25-2017, 06:09 PM
Nothing unless CBP notices. Which they don't in remote areas. If you try it within a few miles of the crossings they have motion detectors and cameras and you go to jail.

If things get bad enough that I want to walk into Canada, coming back will be the last thing on my mind.

You can legally enter Canada as a US citizen, no passport is needed. But you can't get back in without a passport so Canada will refuse you since you can't leave.

That's what happened when I tried to go through the Windsor Tunnel. Back in the day, I crossed over at Niagara, but had to show birth certificate to come back into the US.

01-25-2017, 06:15 PM
That's what happened when I tried to go through the Windsor Tunnel. Back in the day, I crossed over at Niagara, but had to show birth certificate to come back into the US.

Pre-911, we never had to show anything either way. They asked two questions, what's the purpose of your trip, what's your nationality. Then waved you on.

A. Havnes
01-25-2017, 07:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGErzoSAFt8

ghengis86
01-25-2017, 07:32 PM
Pre-911, we never had to show anything either way. They asked two questions, what's the purpose of your trip, what's your nationality. Then waved you on.

Same. We brought driver's license and birth certificate just in case (when coming back into US). I think we just held them up in the air when we were waved through. You could have been holding a piece of blank paper.

Turning 19 close to Canada was like turning 21 in the states! Save for Alabama where we had to be 19 to buy cigs and dip.

Craziness.

Superfluous Man
01-25-2017, 10:43 PM
Not true
Take away the incentive. Deny them schooling, healthcare, etc... Deny them the incentive, and the illegal immigrants leave on their own dime.

The main incentive is none of those things. It's economic opportunity. They want jobs, and they're willing to work. We could, and absolutely should, take all away all those things (from everyone, regardless of immigration status), but it won't accomplish the purge of unlawful residents that you say it will because they'll still be able to do better here than in Mexico and Guatemala.

This is why serious advocates of curbing illegal immigration focus so much on cracking down on employers who hire them.

oyarde
01-25-2017, 10:58 PM
Some of the money for the wall will doubtlessly be from New Mexico taxpayers. So I guess he can say he made New Mexico paid for it.

New Mexico is not best Mexico , in best Mexico the beer is cheaper .

goldenequity
01-25-2017, 11:31 PM
moved to a thread.

CPUd
01-26-2017, 12:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdU8Lj9uAiI

Ender
01-26-2017, 01:16 AM
But...I don't wants a wall, Precious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB2CNr692RE

brushfire
01-26-2017, 08:26 AM
The main incentive is none of those things. It's economic opportunity. They want jobs, and they're willing to work. We could, and absolutely should, take all away all those things (from everyone, regardless of immigration status), but it won't accomplish the purge of unlawful residents that you say it will because they'll still be able to do better here than in Mexico and Guatemala.

This is why serious advocates of curbing illegal immigration focus so much on cracking down on employers who hire them.

You are 100% correct about that, which is why from 2007-2011 so many left.

Jan2017
01-26-2017, 08:40 AM
SNL had the highest ratings when Trump was on and poking fun at getting the check for the wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UgOv62xOiQ

I'll guess the shovel ceremony for ground-breaking will be in Arizona (389 mile Mexico border)
and not blue state New Mexico as the ceremonial start of the projected total of about 600 miles of "wall"

Madison320
01-26-2017, 09:20 AM

I HATE the idea of the government punishing owners for hiring illegals. Why are business owners always the ones who get the most crap from government? Why do they have to act as immigration agents?

How about using the free market to solve the problem? Remove the huge cost that govt adds to hiring a legal worker, like payroll taxes, discrimination laws, minimum wage, etc.

undergroundrr
01-26-2017, 09:51 AM
I HATE the idea of the government punishing owners for hiring illegals. Why are business owners always the ones who get the most crap from government? Why do they have to act as immigration agents?

How about using the free market to solve the problem? Remove the huge cost that govt adds to hiring a legal worker, like payroll taxes, discrimination laws, minimum wage, etc.

+rep

Superfluous Man
01-26-2017, 01:15 PM

Great post.