PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Presidential Election 2016: Voter turnout drops to near 50 per cent

Zippyjuan
11-09-2016, 12:51 PM
http://globalnews.ca/news/3054505/u-s-presidential-election-2016-voter-turnout-drops-to-near-50-per-cent/

Registration was up but turnout was down.

About half of Americans voted in the 2016 presidential election, early results suggest, a much lower turnout than expected.

Based on votes counted by early Wednesday, approximately 124 million people cast a ballot for the next president.

Republican candidate Donald Trump became president elect early Wednesday morning, capturing the 270 electoral college votes needed to claim the White House.

Turnout totals will likely fluctuate in the coming days, but with about 241 million people of voting age in the United States (200 million of those were actually registered to vote in this election), the number is likely to settle somewhere around the 51 or 52 per cent mark.

“I don’t think it’s terribly surprising,” said Donald Abelson, professor and chair in the department of political science at the University of Western Ontario.

“Democrats tend to do well when there’s big voter turnout, so that could have helped.”
Part of Trump’s strategy, he added, was telling voters that it’s OK if they don’t vote for him, as long as they didn’t vote for Democrat Hillary Clinton.

“Part of their thinking was, ‘Let’s turn off a lot of voters so they don’t even want to vote.'” Abelson said of the Trump campaign.

Depressing turnout worked.

Jamesiv1
11-09-2016, 12:53 PM
That is amaze-balls (not)

timosman
11-09-2016, 12:56 PM
What's the point of voting if you do not live in a swing state?

Zippyjuan
11-09-2016, 12:57 PM
This time out some states thought to be "locks" turned out to be "swings" because enough who thought their vote wouldn't matter stayed home.

enhanced_deficit
11-09-2016, 12:58 PM
SWC Hillary got even lesser support from women than Obama received.

That's astonishing accomplishment.

angelatc
11-09-2016, 12:59 PM
So spending months telling everybody that she had essentially zero chance of losing took the importance of voting away from her base. Good to know.

Origanalist
11-09-2016, 12:59 PM
Good.

donnay
11-09-2016, 01:03 PM
Trump won by a landslide. It was just harder for them to rig it with the landslide. More people came out, a good many people I talked to haven't voted in years and were adamant about defeating Hillary. I am not buying this OP.

UWDude
11-09-2016, 01:05 PM
Trump won by a landslide. It was just harder for them to rig it with the landslide. More people came out, a good many people I talked to haven't voted in years and were adamant about defeating Hillary. I am not buying this OP.

I am sure they tossed hundreds of thousands, and built up hundreds of thousands of their own, and it still was not enough.

donnay
11-09-2016, 01:09 PM
I am sure they tossed hundreds of thousands, and built up hundreds of thousands of their own, and it still was not enough.

Yep. They delayed calling of the election in certain states (especially on the east coast) was telling to me. They called California within hours of their polls closing. They tried their damnedest and still couldn't pull it off.

UWDude
11-09-2016, 01:11 PM
Yep. They delayed calling of the election in certain states (especially on the east coast) was telling to me. They called California within hours of their polls closing. They tried their damnedest and still couldn't pull it off.

Actually, they called California, Washington and Oregon with 0%, within a minute of the polls closing.

But Alaska they left going all night.

donnay
11-09-2016, 01:24 PM
Actually, they called California, Washington and Oregon with 0%, within a minute of the polls closing.

But Alaska they left going all night.

Even NH was a holdout which doesn't shock me one bit. Because NH was rigged against Dr. Paul in 2008.

CPUd
11-09-2016, 01:26 PM

Wouldn't a landslide be when one candidate wins by a much larger margin than the other(s)?

UWDude
11-09-2016, 01:27 PM
Wouldn't a landslide be when one candidate wins by a much larger margin than the other(s)?

CPUd still in la la land, where all votes are counted fairly. The vote was rigged.
You've been wrong this whole time. You cna post 1000 more times this week with 1000 more prognostications, and will still be wrong on most of those.
You can;t tell the future, you obviously have no better idea who Donald Trump is than anyone else, but yet, you still keep posting things in confidence like you are so sure he is the anti-christ.

Sorry you failed, dude. You have as much predictive credibility as CNN and all the polls, because you still believe far too much the synthetic reality you want.

donnay
11-09-2016, 01:31 PM

Yep, and that is why Hillary and her cronies couldn't rig the election.

CPUd
11-09-2016, 01:32 PM
CPUd still in la la land, where all votes are counted fairly. The vote was rigged.
You've been wrong this whole time. You cna post 1000 more times this week with 1000 more prognostications, and will still be wrong on most of those.
You can;t tell the future, you obviously have no better idea who Donald Trump is than anyone else, but yet, you still keep posting things in confidence like you are so sure he is the anti-christ.

Sorry you failed, dude. You have as much predictive credibility as CNN and all the polls, because you still believe far too much the synthetic reality you want.

Take a deep breath, then try and post something coherent.

UWDude
11-09-2016, 01:33 PM
Take a deep breath, then try and post something coherent.

You are nothing but a windbag of cliches and platitudes. Is that coherent enough for you?

CPUd
11-09-2016, 01:36 PM
Yep, and that is why Hillary and her cronies couldn't rig the election.

But if they so easily faked the landslide to look like not-a-landslide, why not go the extra mile and have her win?

rpfocus
11-09-2016, 01:38 PM

You consider losing the popular vote a landslide? You do know this is only the 5th time in the history of our elections that a candidate that lost the popular vote won the election, right? The real question is, what do you think the reaction would have been if it were the other way around? This is why I say screw the partisan hypocrites in both parties.

donnay
11-09-2016, 01:44 PM
But if they so easily faked the landslide to look like not-a-landslide, why not go the extra mile and have her win?

They didn't fake a landslide, they tried hiding it by delaying some states tallies. However, they were overwhelmed by the landslides in areas they didn't anticipate.

donnay
11-09-2016, 01:46 PM
You consider losing the popular vote a landslide? You do know this is only the 5th time in the history of our elections that a candidate that lost the popular vote won the election, right? The real question is, what do you think the reaction would have been if it were the other way around? This is why I say screw the partisan hypocrites in both parties.

And if you believe that one, you weren't paying attention. Did you see the crowds at Hillary's venues? She wasn't popular by the looks of it. They needed to save face.

Zippyjuan
11-09-2016, 01:52 PM

Losing the popular vote and getting less than 50% of the vote is hardly a landslide.

Reagan/ Mondale was a landslide. Popular vote was 59% to 40% plus a near sweep in the electoral college.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ab/ElectoralCollege1984.svg/349px-ElectoralCollege1984.svg.png

AuH20
11-09-2016, 01:52 PM
Losing the popular vote and getting less than 50% of the vote is hardly a landslide.

Most of that was California and a few populated blue states.

Cleaner44
11-09-2016, 01:54 PM

So true. CPUd Credibility = 0

CPUd
11-09-2016, 01:55 PM
They didn't fake a landslide, they tried hiding it by delaying some states tallies. However, they were overwhelmed by the landslides in areas they didn't anticipate.

But then those state tallies they delayed have mostly come in now, and Trump will barely crack 300 EV while losing the popular vote. That's not a landslide by any historical standard.

KEEF
11-09-2016, 01:57 PM
Agree, I waited the longest I had to wait ever to vote this go around.

CPUd
11-09-2016, 01:58 PM
This is a landslide:

https://i.imgur.com/Aht8hQ6.png

CPUd
11-09-2016, 01:58 PM
This is a landslide:

https://i.imgur.com/3RbK5X9.png

UWDude
11-09-2016, 02:00 PM
USA Today says it was up 4.7%
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/11/08/election-2016-turnout-records-trump-clinton/93498784/

Zippy say down to 50% WTF?

rpfocus
11-09-2016, 02:01 PM
Most of that was California and a few populated blue states.

Ah, so the actual amount of votes doesn't matter, it's the geography of where those votes originated from that matters?

CPUd
11-09-2016, 02:02 PM
Turnout was definitely up from 2012

AuH20
11-09-2016, 02:03 PM
Ah, so the actual amount of votes doesn't matter, it's the geography of where those votes originated from that matters?

Not really, but Hillary's vote totals were far more concentrated.

rpfocus
11-09-2016, 02:04 PM
And if you believe that one, you weren't paying attention. Did you see the crowds at Hillary's venues? She wasn't popular by the looks of it. They needed to save face.

Hmm, so you believe that the popular vote count is rigged, and that she couldn't have possibly gotten those votes, because her crowds were smaller than Donald's. Do you believe the popular vote count given for Donald is also rigged?

Zippyjuan
11-09-2016, 02:05 PM
USA Today says it was up 4.7%
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/11/08/election-2016-turnout-records-trump-clinton/93498784/

Zippy say down to 50% WTF?

Looks like USA was before all polls closed and how many actually voted was known.

With polls about to close, AP Reporter Stephen Ohlemacher previews key states to watch.

Around the country, voter turnout was up 4.7% in the 2,135 counties — more than half of the country — that had reported all their votes by 1 a.m. Wednesday.

Only about half of all counties had reported turnout. Some were still counting. Actual final count won't be available for another couple weeks.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
11-09-2016, 02:06 PM
So what are ZippyJuan, TheCount, and CPUd going to do now? Guess you didn't post hard enough. Too bad.

And I rated thread terrible because Zip created it.

CPUd
11-09-2016, 02:15 PM
So what are ZippyJuan, TheCount, and CPUd going to do now? Guess you didn't post hard enough. Too bad.

And I rated thread terrible because Zip created it.

I'll probably be in the Grassroots forum looking for liberty candidates to run in 2018

ThePaleoLibertarian
11-09-2016, 02:25 PM
It's fairly obvious what happened. There's a certain group of people who never vote, who actually went to the polls this time. There's another group of people who always (or usually) vote, who stayed home. The dems were right; the electorate is changing. Though perhaps, not in the way they thought.

UWDude
11-09-2016, 02:26 PM

Many of us experienced censorship & banning first hand, through many of the social media platforms, includign having sub forums shut down because CTR shills would claim to be us, go into other forums, and troll.
I became intimately aware of how the Clinton campaign operates and cheats, by reading thousands of wikileaks while scanning for nuggets of corruption, in addition to reading hundreds of flagged wikileak emails that were full of fraud, unethical behavior, cheating, and calculated lies and character assassination.
Many of us also had to deal with unethical behavior by Clinton;s army of paid shills gaslighting all over the internet, as well as spreading lies, discord, and disniformation.
Her support was phony, and I know, without a shadow of a doubt they cheated ballots in Broward county and Philadelphia, as well as ll over the US. They are crooked, and Hillary is crooked.
So you can say what you want, you can disbelieve our "conspiracy theories", but yes, landslide win. She couldn't outcrook the Donald.

CPUd
11-09-2016, 02:28 PM
Many of us experienced censorship & banning first hand, through many of the social media platforms, includign having sub forums shut down because CTR shills would claim to be us, go into other forums, and troll.
I became intimately aware of how the Clinton campaign operates and cheats, by reading thousands of wikileaks while scanning for nuggets of corruption, in addition to reading hundreds of flagged wikileak emails that were full of fraud, unethical behavior, cheating, and calculated lies and character assassination.
Many of us also had to deal with unethical behavior by Clinton;s army of paid shills gaslighting all over the internet, as well as spreading lies, discord, and disniformation.
Her support was phony, and I know, without a shadow of a doubt they cheated ballots in Broward county and Philadelphia, as well as ll over the US. They are crooked, and Hillary is crooked.
So you can say what you want, you can disbelieve our "conspiracy theories", but yes, landslide win. She couldn't outcrook the Donald.

Have you raised your concerns with the FEC?

NorthCarolinaLiberty
11-09-2016, 02:29 PM
I'll probably be in the Grassroots forum looking for liberty candidates to run in 2018

Well, that is sort of odd. None of your 21 pages of threads are in that forum.

Zippyjuan
11-09-2016, 02:30 PM
It's fairly obvious what happened. There's a certain group of people who never vote, who actually went to the polls this time. There's another group of people who always (or usually) vote, who stayed home. The dems were right; the electorate is changing. Though perhaps, not in the way they thought.

Shows you can't take anything for granted. Clinton seemed to and Trump assumed everything was up for grabs so he went for it- and it paid off.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
11-09-2016, 02:32 PM
Shows you can't take anything for granted. Clinton seemed to and Trump assumed everything was up for grabs so he went for it- and it paid off.

Too bad your girlfriend lost.

CPUd
11-09-2016, 02:32 PM
Well, that is sort of odd. None of your 21 pages of threads are in that forum.

I haven't been in there much since the 2012 election. This cycle most of the local prospects got drowned out during the primaries, and we didn't have people getting onto the committees during the state conventions like was happening in 2012, so after Rand there was not much happening in there.

GunnyFreedom
11-09-2016, 02:35 PM
NC had record 68% turnout. We also lost a Governor...while retaining Lt, and picking up some Council of State. so there is that.

CPUd
11-09-2016, 02:39 PM
NC had record 68% turnout. We also lost a Governor...while retaining Lt, and picking up some Council of State. so there is that.

One of the 2012 delegates won a state senate seat in a real landslide: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?462746-Eric-Brakey-wins-Maine-State-Senate-seat-in-landslide

AuH20
11-09-2016, 03:42 PM

Ender
11-09-2016, 03:46 PM

Fox hasn't.

Clinton's now a little over 200K ahead in popular vote.

tod evans
11-09-2016, 03:52 PM
Turnout was definitely up from 2012

Where, specifically, was turnout up?

Take out the coasts and evaluate them separately to get a better picture. (Chicago counts as coastal)

donnay
11-10-2016, 07:52 AM

Bev Harris says it best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is5GrQwevhg

Chester Copperpot
11-10-2016, 08:03 AM

yeah i noticed that too.. they called california within SECONDS of the polls closing.. Im not sure if it was just pro-hillary or if it was the networks way of keeping the excitement up and keeping people glued to the TV set. CNN and MSNBC definitely didnt want to show Hillary behind ever. But FOX showed Trump ahead so they know how to pander to their respective audiences

Natural Citizen
11-10-2016, 08:18 AM
Bev's web site is one that I've frequented regularly over the years. She stays on top of this kind of stuff. Thanks for posting this, donnay. I'm out of ammo for you, though.

Bev Harris says it best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is5GrQwevhg

Origanalist
11-10-2016, 09:04 AM
Clinton and Trump roughly 60 million each, nobody gets roughly 120-130 million. Obviously nobody won.

http://collegeismylife.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/75c8596613c0f3fd8429b4ab9339c541.jpg

Zippyjuan
11-10-2016, 12:57 PM
Where, specifically, was turnout up?

Take out the coasts and evaluate them separately to get a better picture. (Chicago counts as coastal)

Some states were up but total votes cast was six million FEWER overall than in 2012 despite more people being registered. Romney's second place was a million ahead of Clinton and Obama bet him by another five million.