PDA

View Full Version : My post-mortem of the entire 2016 General Election

GunnyFreedom
11-09-2016, 11:51 AM
North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory failed his reelection while the Lieutenant Governor Dan Forrest won by a comfortable margin. This was in a year when the Council of State had a tailwind, so McCrory's failure was significant. He lost his seat because he backed a foreign-ownership toll scheme on I-77 out of Charlotte, which thing Republicans detested.

Nevertheless, Forrest won handily. Trump won handily, and we picked up seats on the Council of State (Including my own good friend Dale Folwell for Treasurer) which is unprecedented in NC in over like 100 years.

And we still lost our Republican Governor.

Looking around at other races in the State and across America, I think a pattern has emerged. One described perhaps in it's entirety by this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcuYZCv3cKM

GunnyFreedom
11-09-2016, 11:53 AM
The old lady in that video, for instance, is the latest Randslide. :D

William Tell
11-09-2016, 12:13 PM
Pretty succinct. Was the bathroom nonsense not a factor in NC? No idea since I don't live there.

GunnyFreedom
11-09-2016, 12:16 PM
Pretty succinct. Was the bathroom nonsense not a factor in NC? No idea since I don't live there.

If it was, they did a very good job of hiding it. Lt Gov Forrest was deeper into HB2 than McCrory and Forrest had very little problem obtaining reelection.