PDA

View Full Version : Mike Lee for Supreme Court?

CaptUSA
11-09-2016, 11:43 AM
Anyone else think we need to start pushing this?

He's on the short list, and he often aligns with the interests of liberty. I'm not sure we could get anyone better.

Jesse James
11-09-2016, 12:10 PM
what about the whole online gambling thing?

CaptUSA
11-09-2016, 12:18 PM

Lol. I'm not expecting perfection out of Trump. But a known quantity with a decent record would be nice.

Tywysog Cymru
11-09-2016, 12:21 PM
Trump will nominate a Northeastern "moderate."

randomname
11-09-2016, 12:54 PM

He's on the short list, and he often aligns with the interests of liberty. I'm not sure we could get anyone better.

Peter Thiel may be even better (but that's a pipe dream)

Ender
11-09-2016, 12:58 PM

That was a States Rights thing for Lee.

And he's awesome.

Matt Collins
11-09-2016, 02:27 PM
Uh last time I checked Lee was against Trump..... I don't think Trump is going to do him any favors

William Tell
11-09-2016, 02:29 PM

Personally gambling is literally the last issue I'm worried about.

CaptUSA
11-09-2016, 05:26 PM
Uh last time I checked Lee was against Trump..... I don't think Trump is going to do him any favors

Trump put him on the short list even after he refused to endorse him. donald-trump-unveils-new-more-diverse-supreme-court-short-list (http://www.npr.org/2016/09/23/495216645/donald-trump-unveils-new-more-diverse-supreme-court-short-list)

Now he may have just been doing that as a stunt to show himself as being inclusive, but a guy can hope. There may be an opportunity here in that Lee would most certainly pass straight through the Senate on the first go-round because he's one of their own. And if there's enough noise, Trump has shown a tendency to play to a crowd.

Brian4Liberty
11-09-2016, 05:35 PM

The liberty movement should be making some suggestions.

This is an area for improvement. The establishment and neoconservatives can pull out a list of potential nominees at the drop of a hat for any position. And they also bad-mouth those who they want blacklisted.

Appointments don't happen in a vacuum. If you are not pushing someone you would like to see in a position, it probably won't happen.

phill4paul
11-09-2016, 05:37 PM
Interesting. How do we go about it? Start one of those white house petitions but address it to the president elect instead of Obama? Social media post card campaign to Trump Towers?

Brian4Liberty
11-09-2016, 05:54 PM
Interesting. How do we go about it? Start one of those white house petitions but address it to the president elect instead of Obama? Social media post card campaign to Trump Towers?

Trump seems partial to Twitter. ;)

As far as Supreme Court nominees, Trump already has longer lists than he knows what to do with. Mike Lee is already on the list, so at this point, people could push him, although it's unlikely due to past statements from Lee (brought up already in this thread), especially that he just won a Senate seat and intends to stay there.

When Trump announced his first list, he named a couple of organizations that provided him with nominees. That's how you do it. You always have the list ready.

Mr. Trump stated, “We have a very clear choice in this election. The freedoms we cherish and the constitutional values and principles our country was founded on are in jeopardy. The responsibility is greater than ever to protect and uphold these freedoms and I will appoint justices, who like Justice Scalia, will protect our liberty with the highest regard for the Constitution. This list is definitive and I will choose only from it in picking future Justices of the United States Supreme Court. I would like to thank the Federalist Society, The Heritage Foundation and the many other individuals who helped in composing this list of twenty-one highly respected people who are the kind of scholars that we need to preserve the very core of our country, and make it greater than ever before.”

John F Kennedy III
11-09-2016, 06:26 PM
Mike Lee sounds good. Also he's young enough to stay on the SC for 50 years.

TommyJeff
11-09-2016, 08:03 PM

Trump will likely have a name ready for day 1, other than Lee do you notice any other names that people on this forum might agree with?

Ender
11-11-2016, 01:27 AM
Trump will likely have a name ready for day 1, other than Lee do you notice any other names that people on this forum might agree with?

Judge Nap. Perfect.

jllundqu
11-16-2016, 11:26 AM
As much as I would like Lee, I'm not holding my breath. Let me know when Trump does something to promote the cause of liberty.

AuH20
11-16-2016, 11:35 AM
We need another Alito as opposed to a Roberts.

eleganz
11-16-2016, 06:25 PM
The liberty movement should be making some suggestions.

This is an area for improvement. The establishment and neoconservatives can pull out a list of potential nominees at the drop of a hat for any position. And they also bad-mouth those who they want blacklisted.

Appointments don't happen in a vacuum. If you are not pushing someone you would like to see in a position, it probably won't happen.

This is a good idea, let's do a list of all of our acceptable candidates for all positions and have the liberty movement spread it on social media, it will eventually circle around to someone who can get this to the right people, its not a bad idea, we should try vs just sticking to forum chat, which gets us nowhere (how libertarian of us to get absolutely nowhere).

RonPaulMall
11-19-2016, 06:47 PM
Mike Lee is dramatically better than any Senator we could ever hope to get out of Utah in the future. It would be stupid (from our standpoint) to move him over to the Supreme Court. He is far more valuable in the Senate.

Ender
11-19-2016, 07:16 PM
Mike Lee is dramatically better than any Senator we could ever hope to get out of Utah in the future. It would be stupid (from our standpoint) to move him over to the Supreme Court. He is far more valuable in the Senate.

I agree!

phill4paul
11-19-2016, 07:19 PM

I agree!

I thought Trump was going to use the bully pulpit to push for term limits in his push to drain the swamp? SCrOTUS is for life.

Ender
11-19-2016, 07:23 PM
I thought Trump was going to use the bully pulpit to push for term limits in his push to drain the swamp? SCrOTUS is for life.

I'd like to see Lee in the Senate for as long as possible- then if Trump actually makes term limits come to pass- THEN put Lee in the ...uh.....SCrO....uh....SCOTUS. :p

Brett85
11-20-2016, 09:05 AM

He said he supported the bill because it protected states' rights. Apparently the bill prevents the states from being forced to allow online gambling.

presence
11-20-2016, 09:11 AM
I don't think Mike Lee has enough experience defending corporate crime to be SCOTUS.

Ender
11-20-2016, 11:14 AM
He said he supported the bill because it protected states' rights. Apparently the bill prevents the states from being forced to allow online gambling.

'Zactly.