PDA

View Full Version : California secession group to hold meet-up at State Capitol

Anti Federalist
11-05-2016, 10:10 AM
Now, before you dismiss this as another fringe secession movement that will go nowhere, think again.

Reading between the lines, it appears they do not want to secede because of federal tyranny and losses of freedoms, no, they want more tyranny, they want more of what they call "California values".

With Boobus, now that's a winning hand, not outmoded, dangerous, probably racist, "liberty", based on the ramblings and scribblings of a bunch of dead white men who were slave owners and misogynists.

Go, I say. The New Egalitarian Paradise is just over the horizon comrades. Go!

California secession group to hold meet-up at State Capitol

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/California-secession-group-to-hold-meet-up-at-10594349.php

By Alyssa Pereira

Updated 7:43 am, Saturday, November 5, 2016

An organization hoping to facilitate the secession of California from the Union is holding a meet and greet on the Capitol steps in Sacramento next Wednesday, November 9, 2016, or, the day after the presidential election.

The Yes California Independence Campaign, which is based in San Diego, is aiming to qualify a citizen's initiative in 2018 to get a referendum for secession on the ballot in 2019. They'll be in Sacramento to garner support for their initiative.

"In our view," a statement on its website reads, "the United States of America represents so many things that conflict with Californian values, and our continued statehood means California will continue subsidizing the other states to our own detriment, and to the detriment of our children."

And it appears the organization has been considering its strategy for quite a while now. On its site, you'll find a link to a 33-page "Blue Book" wherein the organization answers any hypothetical questions about the state becoming its own country. The details for the secession — dubbed the #CalExit — include such topics such as "Will we join the United Nations?" and "Will we have our own Olympic team?".

While the notion of an independent California does seem well-intended — points about immigration, environmental concerns, and education are thoughtful — the practicality of such a proposal is tenuous at best.

Will this secession campaign be viable? In a word: No. As we know from the Civil War, just because a state wants to secede doesn't mean the Union will let it. As Washington Post writer Philip Bump wrote earlier this year, Congress simply would not, for many reasons, allow it.

"There's no mechanism for Congress to simply say, 'Sure, off you go.' Once you're in, you're in," he wrote. "The United States was born an expansionist enterprise, and the idea of contraction, it seems, never really came up."

(Show me in the CONstitution where it says that you can never leave - AF)

Nevertheless, the Facebook group for the organization is surprisingly strong. With over 11,000 members who have liked the page, the movement might at least gain some steam...even if it is just a lot of useless hot air.

In the meantime, you can learn more about their platform here at their website.

Tywysog Cymru
11-05-2016, 10:17 AM
If California becomes independent, I'd give them 15 years before everything crashes and they beg to be let back in. Of course, a lot of people will have left California by then.

Ender
11-05-2016, 10:47 AM
If California becomes independent, I'd give them 15 years before everything crashes and they beg to be let back in. Of course, a lot of people will have left California by then.

And that will be a good thing. ;)

Then I'll want to head back home.

Jerry C
11-05-2016, 11:06 AM
Though I doubt this will go anywhere anytime soon, if it does I am getting out of California. I have some family in Arizona, so that is where I will most likely go.

tod evans
11-05-2016, 11:13 AM
I'd be glad to see 'em go........

Zippyjuan
11-05-2016, 11:55 AM
Will all four of them show up?

oyarde
11-05-2016, 12:58 PM
Never gonna happen in a commie stronghold like that .

Anti Federalist
11-05-2016, 01:48 PM
Never gonna happen in a commie stronghold like that .

You didn't read...they want to secede to be moar commie.

Boobus wants to be North Korea or Venezuela.

I could certainly see secession happening for that.

oyarde
11-05-2016, 02:08 PM
You didn't read...they want to secede to be moar commie.

Boobus wants to be North Korea or Venezuela.

I could certainly see secession happening for that.
Oh well , in that case , all of Sacramento , LA county and San Francisco would like to sign up I am certain, LOL

Anti Federalist
11-05-2016, 08:19 PM
HVACTech

What say you, Sunshine?

As the resident CONstitutional Scholar, what say ye: is the pact binding, forever?

HVACTech
11-05-2016, 09:42 PM
HVACTech

What say you, Sunshine?

As the resident CONstitutional Scholar, what say ye: is the pact binding, forever?

that question is contained in the declaration... :)

sweetie.

Anti Federalist
11-05-2016, 10:01 PM
that question is contained in the declaration... :)

sweetie.

You mean the "preamble"?

HVACTech
11-05-2016, 10:19 PM
You mean the "preamble"?

did you have a particular, "preamble".
in mind Honey? :p
(I love it when you talk all French!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5dUWw_lSMs

Occam's Banana
11-05-2016, 10:30 PM
I don't care if they're commies. I'm glad to see secessionist sentiment spreading.

And the fact that they're lefties can only help to undermine the "neo-confederate" bullshit that gets trotted out whenever the subject of secession comes up.

Of course, if anything is ever really going to happen in this regard, things have eventually got to go beyond the point of politely asking for permission.

But for the time being, things like this help "normalize" the idea and give it greater social currency. Some day ...

As we know from the Civil War, just because a state wants to secede doesn't mean the Union will let it. As Washington Post writer Philip Bump wrote earlier this year, Congress simply would not, for many reasons, allow it.

"There's no mechanism for Congress to simply say, 'Sure, off you go.' Once you're in, you're in," he wrote.

:rolleyes: Go tell it to King George III and Parliament ...

Weston White
11-05-2016, 10:54 PM
11K "likes" in a state of 40M, hardly worth much mention.

...Get about 2/3 of the Southwestern states to favor secession, who gives a hoot what Congress say, thinks, or does.

Dr.No.
11-06-2016, 01:10 AM
Why poo-poo California values? They have the fourth largest economy in the world. They pay way more in federal income tax than they receive benefits. Their people are generally prosperous. They are leaders in research and innovation....

otherone
11-06-2016, 06:13 AM
Why poo-poo California values? They have the fourth largest economy in the world. They pay way more in federal income tax than they receive benefits. Their people are generally prosperous. They are leaders in research and innovation....

They'd be the first to leave. Along with the Hollywood crowd.

tod evans
11-06-2016, 06:30 AM
I don't care if they're commies. I'm glad to see secessionist sentiment spreading.

And the fact that they're lefties can only help to undermine the "neo-confederate" bullshit that gets trotted out whenever the subject of secession comes up.

Of course, if anything is ever really going to happen in this regard, things have eventually got to go beyond the point of politely asking for permission.

But for the time being, things like this help "normalize" the idea and give it greater social currency. Some day ...

:rolleyes: Go tell it to King George III and Parliament ...

There are too many people with differing views about society.

Succession is the only peaceful option.