PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Massie suggests he won't vote to re-elect Paul Ryan as Speaker

tsai3904
11-04-2016, 12:14 PM
Republican Congressman All But Closes Door On Voting For Paul Ryan

And so it begins.

11/04/2016
Matt Fuller

Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) suggested Friday that he would not vote for current House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) to remain in the job, laying out a number of criteria for the next leader of the House GOP and raising the prospect that other Republicans may soon signal their intention to vote against Ryan on the floor in January.

“It would be very difficult for him to get my vote based on what I assume his motives are, which are to run for president in 2020,” Massie told The Huffington Post in a phone conversation.

The Kentucky Republican, who voted against Ryan last October and repeatedly led opposition to former Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), emailed a statement to HuffPost where he explained what he thinks the next speaker should do “to restore the constitutional integrity of Congress.”

The next Speaker shouldn’t send the House on vacation for five weeks in August unless the appropriations bills are done. The next Speaker needs to make good on the broken promise to give members and the American public time to read the bills. The next Speaker should immediately put a stop to the institutionalized extortion that requires members to pay for their committee assignments with lobbyists’ money. Finally, the next Speaker needs to allow a debate on whether or not to authorize the military conflicts the President has unilaterally engaged us in around the globe.

More:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/thomas-massie-paul-ryan_us_581cb428e4b0aac62483cf01

bunklocoempire
11-04-2016, 09:06 PM
He's just trying to preserve you, Paul Ryan, I'm sure no harm or offense is intended.

William Tell
11-04-2016, 09:08 PM
Breaking news folks, grass is still green and Massie is still a badass.:cool:

samforpaul
11-09-2016, 07:17 PM
Anyone have suggestions on potential good replacements for Ryan?

I was glad to see Boehner go, but can't say that Ryan is any better.

Tywysog Cymru
11-10-2016, 01:31 PM
Anyone have suggestions on potential good replacements for Ryan?

I was glad to see Boehner go, but can't say that Ryan is any better.

My personal choice would be Jones. He's the most experienced of the liberty people.

CPUd
11-10-2016, 05:39 PM
Raul Labrador

Sola_Fide
11-10-2016, 05:41 PM
Thomas is the only one left anymore with guts.

CPUd
11-11-2016, 12:44 AM
It looks like the freedom caucus will end up backing Ryan.

cindy25
11-12-2016, 04:25 AM
and he may run for speaker

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/11/11/paul-ryan-gave-congress-constitutional-crisis/

When Gillespie pressed him on whether he would run to fill Speaker Ryan’s job himself, Massie said: “Somebody has to. I’m not saying I will do it, but we need change. I would rather give my vote to somebody who will support the platform” that upholds regular order

AZJoe
11-12-2016, 10:13 AM
Rep Huelskamp: Ryan does not have the votes to be speaker: http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/11/11/exclusive-rep-huelskamp-speaker-ryan-does-not-have-218-votes/