PDA

View Full Version : Well known RP supporter arrested/jailed for jaywalking--This is some real b.s.

Dave Wood
12-09-2007, 10:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmPi2GbbUes

Happened yesterday at a gun show in Fla. :mad:

ross11988
12-09-2007, 10:17 AM
We gotta get this up there and get it dugg

krott5333
12-09-2007, 10:18 AM
thats fucked up

Lyn
12-09-2007, 10:22 AM
I am so mad watching that video. This guy was no danger to anyone. This should make every Ron Paul supporter irate enough to go out and sign wave a few times this week just on principle.

fortilite
Guess the NRA called in a hit.

sluggo
You've got to be kidding.........

torchbearer
12-09-2007, 10:26 AM
then they attack you... then you win.

bgoldwater
12-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Well if it's private property, than they have a right to kick you out for trespassing.

boondoggle
12-09-2007, 10:30 AM
. . . Someone organize a rally down there! Poor feller.

jj111
12-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Where's the digg URL?

jumpyg1258
12-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Happened in Florida so it doesn't surprise me. There are reasons why on Fark.com they have a Florida tag for stories and this is an example.

torchbearer
12-09-2007, 10:46 AM
The Police State of Florida.

ProBlue33
12-09-2007, 10:48 AM
This is going to get ugly, if the police are not on our side we will fail, it really is that simple. It's time for the very best people to visit the local stations or if you know local officiers ask them questions, that see if they support Ron Paul.

fortilite
12-09-2007, 10:49 AM
This is going to get ugly, if the police are not on our side we will fail, it really is that simple.

That's not true at all.

ronpaulfollower999
12-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Was he asked to move and refused to, or did he just get arrested? There has to be more to the story.

hillertexas
12-09-2007, 10:54 AM
bump

BeFranklin
12-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Was he asked to move and refused to, or did he just get arrested? There has to be more to the story.

This doesn't follow at all. If X policeman said to Y I really don't like Ron Paul supporters, I'm going to find a reason to arrest him - there is more to the story, but you can't possibly know what it is. Your question asks it in such a way that the supporter must know the answer, and maybe it was something he did. If it was really unfair, there is no way you are going to know "the rest of the story" unless you get lucky.

LibertyEagle
12-09-2007, 10:59 AM

I agree that we do not have all the facts. Until we have them, we should not jump to conclusions.

rory096
12-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Well if it's private property, than they have a right to kick you out for trespassing.
It wasn't trespassing though, it was jaywalking. How can you jaywalk on a private road?

Vendico
12-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Digg: http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Ron_Paul_supporter_arrested_for_jay_walking

LibertyOfOne
12-09-2007, 11:09 AM
How long can they hold you for jay walking?

LibertyOfOne
12-09-2007, 11:11 AM
I thought they would just give you a ticket for it.

jmunjr
12-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Are all of you sheep? Nothing in that "video" showed what really happened, just that he was "arrested for jaywalking".. Maybe he was, but I am not going to blindly believe it, and neither should you.

So many other things could have caused his arrest and we don't know about it.

IF he truly was arrested for jaywalking then yes it is BS but as Ron Paul supporters we are better than just assuming the worst and believing what one video with still shots says..

FreeTraveler
12-09-2007, 11:12 AM
How long can they hold you for jay walking?

The depends on if it's terrorist jaywalking, or just felony jaywalking. :D

rory096
12-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Are all of you sheep? Nothing in that "video" showed what really happened, just that he was "arrested for jaywalking".. Maybe he was, but I am not going to blindly believe it, and neither should you.

So many other things could have caused his arrest and we don't know about it.

IF he truly was arrested for jaywalking then yes it is BS but as Ron Paul supporters we are better than just assuming the worst and believing what one video with still shots says..
That's why we're saying this doesn't make sense and there must be more to the story.

Revolution9
12-09-2007, 11:13 AM
This is going to get ugly, if the police are not on our side we will fail, it really is that simple. It's time for the very best people to visit the local stations or if you know local officiers ask them questions, that see if they support Ron Paul.

You have to be a cop with that kind of thinking. Our local beat cop just retired and they replaced him with a young woman and her young black guy partner. Now we have two fucking cowboys loose in the neighborhood gonna solve all the "problems" whilst creating several dozen more with their belligerent BS. They have already been throwing non-laws they cannot cite around and forcing cpmpliance under threat of arrest. Ya see,... they have this shitty attitude that they run things and are gonna make it ugly till we comply.. Kinda like what you said..heh.. They are gonna get schooled just like every cop they ever dropped into this neighborhood.

Randy

Akus
12-09-2007, 11:17 AM
This doesn't follow at all. If X policeman said to Y I really don't like Ron Paul supporters, I'm going to find a reason to arrest him - there is more to the story, but you can't possibly know what it is. Your question asks it in such a way that the supporter must know the answer, and maybe it was something he did. If it was really unfair, there is no way you are going to know "the rest of the story" unless you get lucky.

I agree, there is enough drama in this thread for ten Mexican telenovelas. So the guy was at some place where it was illegal to stand. BFD. At worst, it's a misdemeanor, so he'll pay some fine and maybe spend one night with Bubba. We still don't know the exact charge for the arrest and what has exactly transpired. May be officers told him to move and he didn't. May be he was, indeed, a danger to the traffic. I don't know one way or another, never been to FL, have no clue about their road safety laws.

And stop with the conspiracy theories, everyone, Fred Thompson or not, if that dude was arrested for something legit, then that's exactly what it was, a person breaking some law and suffering the consequences. Stop making Jesus Christ out of this so-called "martyr".

Madcat455
12-09-2007, 11:17 AM
It wasn't trespassing though, it was jaywalking. How can you jaywalk on a private road?

IT's NOT a private road.

The local gov owns the land up until the fence. And falls under the jusrisdiction of traffic laws.

I don't own the first 10 feet of my yard, my property stakes are that far from the road.

The land map shows that as an "easement" on the property owned by the city.

LOL>.. I was wondering when the next FT myers gun show was.. was going to search for it today. Guess I got my answer.

At least I know I'm not the only RP support in Ft Myers:p I never see any other stickers, signs, etc. for him around here. Too bad I missed the Gun show, I would've stood with him.(on th grass)

He'd been OK if he would've just stood on the grass, not in the middle of the entrance way... I've been to that arena severl times for the gun shows... It's not safe to stand close on the grass... much less in the middle:eek:

EDIT: Lee County is the listed owner of that arena. Just a FYI.

ggibson1
12-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Civil disobediance... good job...

boondoggle
12-09-2007, 12:39 PM
...bump

terryp
12-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Suncoast Gun Collectors, Inc.
PO Box 372
Twinsburg, Ohio 44087
330-963-6964 Tel
330-487-0352 Fax

If you are a gun owner you should contact them. I've bought my last firearm
from these people. There have been problems at all of their shows. It may be their right to allow whomever the want in their show but they have harassed RP folks handing out material, cancelled contracts for RP booths and now this CRAP.
I think the vendors would object, especilally putting gun owners in jail for this kind of stuff :mad:

Their largest vendor is Shoot Straight in Orlando.

1349 S. Orange Blossom Trail
Apopka, FL 32703

Phone: 407-889-0842

4700 S U.S. HWY 17-92
Casselberry, FL 32707

Phone: 407-834-2242

3909 N US Hwy 301
Tampa, FL 33619

Phone: 813-627-8550

devil21
12-09-2007, 03:00 PM
There are no arrest reports for Jack Tanner in Lee County FL on Dec 8. Neither the Sheriff's Office shows an arrest nor does the court system have a case. Find out for sure if this is true before you do anything.

EDIT: It appears the arrest records for the 8th aren't complete so it may show up shortly though. http://www.sheriffleefl.org/about/jaildetention/arrestrpt.aspx

Kingfisher
12-09-2007, 04:43 PM
bump

rpfreedom08
12-09-2007, 08:08 PM
There are no arrest reports for Jack Tanner in Lee County FL on Dec 8. Neither the Sheriff's Office shows an arrest nor does the court system have a case. Find out for sure if this is true before you do anything.

EDIT: It appears the arrest records for the 8th aren't complete so it may show up shortly though. http://www.sheriffleefl.org/about/jaildetention/arrestrpt.aspx

damn, resourceful little fuckers around here. :D

aspiringconstitutionalist
12-09-2007, 08:14 PM

Looks like there was another stage...

"Then they attack you... then they imprison you... then you win." :mad:

RonPaulStreetTeam
12-10-2007, 04:17 AM
http://ronpaulstreetteam.com/forums/index.php?topic=123.0

wow. He wasnt even!

Live_Free_Or_Die
12-10-2007, 05:12 AM
nt

Starks
12-10-2007, 05:52 AM
Local ordinances for the fail.

webber53
12-10-2007, 06:40 AM
http://ronpaulstreetteam.com/forums/index.php?topic=123.0

wow. He wasnt even!

We need a concerted effort to address this obvious
usurp of power by the Lee County Sheriff's Dept.
C'mon folks we need to contact the Lee County Sherrif's Dept.
on behalf of Mr. Jack Tanner, the man that was illegally arrested
for Jaywalking. We can't allow them to get away with this!! :eek:

kylejack
12-10-2007, 06:44 AM
If its the Lee County Civic Center, wouldn't that road be public property? I don't like this, but standing on the side of the road might have been a better idea. Safer, too.

micahnelson
12-10-2007, 06:49 AM
I have never seen anyone ARRESTED for jaywalking before.

webber53
12-10-2007, 06:56 AM
Bump! This needs to stay on top!

DarkLaw
12-10-2007, 06:57 AM
Wow. If that is exactly what happened,
I feel sorry for the Lee County Sheriff and his agency.

Now, will we ever find out ALLL of the details? no.
I'll wait to make my total judgement call once I know
everything that happened. Photo stills don't always
tell the whole story as I've come to learn.

REGARDLESS - being jailed for a breach of peace violation,
especially someone who obviously is of good moral character,
without criminal convictions, is not violent, and is not a flight risk -
is flat out RIDICULOUS!

I am VERY PRO-POLICE, obviously,
but I can call bullshit when it happens,
even from within!

webber53
12-10-2007, 06:59 AM
Taken to jail and booked for Jaywalking?
I hope the AP wire service picks this up.

phree
12-10-2007, 07:00 AM
No disrespect intended, but I don't think that focusing on this will help elect Dr. Paul. There will be more of this type of treatment in the future and we can't afford to waste energy. We need to roll with the punches, even the unfair ones.

This post is worth exactly $.02.

c0unterph0bia
12-10-2007, 07:01 AM
I am surprised this hasn't gotten more views....

It's because there was already more than one post made :p

robert4rp08
12-10-2007, 07:01 AM
that's messed up!

p.s. misspelled treasurer in the video

ladyliberty
12-10-2007, 07:03 AM
Sounds like the police office doesn't know anything about the constitution!!

Jaywalking at most gets you a fine or a ticket, not jail!

(At best it gets you a spot on the Jay Leno show!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBuPQgV8yBM

Mr. White
12-10-2007, 07:11 AM
Oh look, it's more fools flying off the hook based something taken out of context.... These boards are losing their charm.

ladyliberty
12-10-2007, 07:16 AM
Oh look, it's more fools flying off the hook based something taken out of context.... These boards are losing their charm.

Hiya Fred - so glad you could join us! How's that smokin hot trophy wife of yours?

webber53
12-10-2007, 07:30 AM
No disrespect intended, but I don't think that focusing on this will help elect Dr. Paul. There will be more of this type of treatment in the future and we can't afford to waste energy. We need to roll with the punches, even the unfair ones.

This post is worth exactly $.02.

No disrespect taken but you probably would have a different
point of view if that was your father being hauled away in a squad
car arrested for jaywalking.:(

Mr. White
12-10-2007, 07:41 AM

Post bail, hire a lawyer, if they did something they shouldn't have sue them.

Next?

webber53
12-10-2007, 07:42 AM
It's because there was already more than one post made :p

You're right. I'll make the correct adjustments. :confused:

Birdlady
12-10-2007, 08:06 AM
Wow this guy needs to consult with a lawyer.

ClayTrainor
12-10-2007, 08:10 AM
yea, if all he did was J walk, they cant legally arrest him for that i dont think?

i smell a lawsuit on the way!

DarkLaw
12-10-2007, 08:11 AM
Post bail, hire a lawyer, if they did something they shouldn't have sue them.

Next?

THAT's the problem right there.
Everyone is so damn 'sue happy' and they think
that it'll change the world by suing some agency or business.
As soon as his lawyer makes contact, they
will settle out of court for a few bucks and the media will
keep on ticking by.

What have you solved?

You want something changed?
Write the Sheriff, request a copy of the police report,
get the FACTS surrounding the incident and if it was not justified,
make it known. Enough letters to a Sheriff's Office will get a public apology.
Enough letters to a small town sheriff will maybe get him to hire better deputies.
enough letters will send a message and work ont he LONG term goal
of not allowing people to get away with being corrupt.

Oh, wait. You just wanted to sue them for a few dollars that will
ultimately come from the TAX BASE, ie you. Or me.

DarkLaw
12-10-2007, 08:16 AM
And for those threads that claim "they can't do that!"

Well, for just about any and all infractions of the law,
you can be jailed. MOST agencies ALLOW you to sign a ticket
in lieu of physical arrest when it is a very minor breach of peace
or disturbance, such as speeding or noise violations, obstructing traffic, etc.

In most cases, it is the Officer's discretion.
I do support knowing all facts before crying WOLF!
but I can't possibly see what happened here to have him arrested for it.
Unless some other activist or even he began arguing or becoming violent...?
Umm, I would assume if he is an elected official that he doesn't have a lengthy
criminal record which could be a determining factor in physical arrest...?

....suing people fixes nothing.

Birdlady
12-10-2007, 08:20 AM
THAT's the problem right there.
Everyone is so damn 'sue happy' and they think
that it'll change the world by suing some agency or business.
As soon as his lawyer makes contact, they
will settle out of court for a few bucks and the media will
keep on ticking by.

What have you solved?

You want something changed?
Write the Sheriff, request a copy of the police report,
get the FACTS surrounding the incident and if it was not justified,
make it known. Enough letters to a Sheriff's Office will get a public apology.
Enough letters to a small town sheriff will maybe get him to hire better deputies.
enough letters will send a message and work ont he LONG term goal
of not allowing people to get away with being corrupt.

Oh, wait. You just wanted to sue them for a few dollars that will
ultimately come from the TAX BASE, ie you. Or me.

That might be true however, he was illegally arrested. You MUST STAND UP for yourself in this case because we can't allow these cops to be thugs. How many other people have those cops violated their rights in the past week, month or year? Suing them in this way is speaking for all those who have been wrongly treated, arrested, or illegally searched, but didn't know their rights and decided NOT to sue. This case isn't about revenge or money. It is about setting the precedence that this type of nonsense is punishable.

No offense but you might a little too close to the situation to see this clearly. Cops violate people's rights EVERY DAY. This needs to end and law suits help believe me.

EDIT: Sue the individual cops civilly. Believe me. They won't make this mistake again.

DarkLaw
12-10-2007, 08:25 AM
That might be true however, he was illegally arrested. You MUST STAND UP for yourself in this case because we can't allow these cops to be thugs. How many other people have those cops violated their rights in the past week, month or year? Suing them in this way is speaking for all those who have been wrongly treated, arrested, or illegally searched, but didn't know their rights and decided NOT to sue. This case isn't about revenge or money. It is about setting the precedence that this type of nonsense is punishable.

I agree! AND I'M A COP!
I just don't think suing ever solves much.
Our society automatically utters, "I'll just sue 'em...that'll teach'em!"
and seriously, what good does that do? It gets covered up and settled out of court.
THAT'S it!

If I KNEW all of the facts of this case I could better argue what I would do in his situation - but until THEN, I've learned better as a police officer not to judge to quickly.

I dunno - maybe when he was lawfully ordered to move out of the roadway he refused? Maybe others began to interfere. I dunno...there are a million andone thigns about this that we DON'T know and can't guess.

My whole point is not whether he's guilty or innocent or even if the physical arrest is lawful - I'm just saying that SUING solves very little in these situations.

pcosmar
12-10-2007, 08:44 AM
If enough people sue and win the Police dept. will have their budget wiped out.
They will HAVE to fire these people and change their tactics.

DarkLaw
12-10-2007, 09:08 AM
If enough people sue and win the Police dept. will have their budget wiped out.
They will HAVE to fire these people and change their tactics.

Ummm, in a perfect world, yes.
In our dreaded American society - all that will happen is that your
local govt. will pass a 'dedicated public safety tax' to finance the ailing PD,
if it's a Sheriff or elected Chief - then there will be political discourse over the lawsuits, or...OR...what happens MOST of the time (as has happened in New Orleans, CURRENTLY), when individual officers violate people's rights - and get sued,
the Dept is not able to hire QUALITY officers and so the vicious cycle repeats itself until you are left with an uneducated police force who cares NOT what your rights are but the quota under which his dept. is ordering him to fulfill so that they can continue to OPERATE due to budget cuts.

I've seen it. I'm a part of it.
I ENCOURAGE people to stand up to ILLEGAL arrest!
But before you go and try and become a political legend,
you must know the law inside and out.

And I am almost positive that the Lee County Sheriff's Office allows
physical arrest for misdemeanors. However, they usually allow you to give your signature in lieu of PHYSICAL ARREST (A form of bail known as 'personal recognizance'). Physically taking the man to jail for a violation of law is not unjust.
It is the absurd point of taking the man to jail for a MINOR violation of the law that is unethical and downright pitiful.
And you can't SUE an officer OR a dept. simply for abiding within the perimeters of the law when it is 'unfair' or deemed pointless.

Trust me, I agree with what you all are saying - this sounds to me like a lot of bullshit that was politically motivated. But don't cry wolf unless you know for sure you are about to be fed to the wolves, otherwise you appear only as a bleeding heart liberal who doesn't understand the nature of laws and arrest.

Cheers~

pcosmar
12-10-2007, 09:19 AM
I lived in Key West for many years. Police Corruption is known and accepted there.
It took a Multi Million Dollar lawsuit to remove a Corrupt Police Chief, and several Citizens video taping Police abuse to get a Citizens Review Board.
Folks raised a stink that could not be ignored.
Get Loud, Fight back.

DarkLaw
12-10-2007, 09:31 AM
I agree with the fact that NO one should put up with corruption,
ESPECIALLY when it comes to the police. The police are supposed to be protectors.
The Night Watchmen. Not the asshole you fear.

But regardless -
Sure, in a place like that, you could get a new police dept. and things would get better. But what about here in the States where we have about...16,000 police agencies? You should petition your governments to hire more educated officers, SUPPORT pay RAISES FOR POLICE! THAT IS HOW YOU get quality police officers!
Look into how well your local police 'academy' is run.

I push hard for educational reform within police departments.
I push very hard for departments to ONLY hire those of high
moral character and ethics; not just some Joe Blow who wants a job.

....ooooh, I could type for ages and I doubt we'd see eye to eye on this topic because no matter how much I try and explain my stance, it does not translate well in a virtual world when people have such solid, engrained hatred for police (and for valid reasons).

My last $0.02 on the topic;
Suing solves little. Liberal 'ambush' style guerilla video tape tactics are lame and rarely work for their intended purposes. Get educated, make a change within your community. Talk to your CITy COUNCIL!
Get them to place cameras in the police cars! GO to your local police meetings and if you don't have one, start one with a local commander! Voice your concerns.

/ rant

Have a nice day all!

DXDoug
12-10-2007, 10:08 AM
that sucks sorry hope things get better

phree
12-10-2007, 11:35 AM

No, I wouldn't, because my father would tell me to keep my eye on the prize. Fighting with the local PD is not our goal. All efforts should go into positive, effective campaigning.

It's good that this video got posted because it can serve to prepare us for any unfair treatment that might come our way. The lesson is don't resist the authorities.

Their goal might be to disrupt and discredit RP supporters.

We need to stay focused on our goal, elect Dr. Paul.

devil21
12-10-2007, 05:13 PM
I just checked the Sheriff's site again and the booking info is up there. He was charged with:

LCSO BOOKING 1 Public Order Crimes Obstruction Of Public Streets Wo Permit
LCSO BOOKING 1 Resist Officer Fail To Obey Police Or Fire Department

So he was arrested for obstructing a public street without a permit and refusing to do what the cop told him to. I assume that means he told the cop to piss off. He was released on cash bond about 7 hours after he was arrested. I hope this guy fights this with every strand of his being. There is no free speech anymore.

tnvoter
12-10-2007, 05:22 PM

We're in the beginnings of the final stage before victory.

phree
12-10-2007, 05:42 PM
I just checked the Sheriff's site again and the booking info is up there. He was charged with:

LCSO BOOKING 1 Public Order Crimes Obstruction Of Public Streets Wo Permit
LCSO BOOKING 1 Resist Officer Fail To Obey Police Or Fire Department

So he was arrested for obstructing a public street without a permit and refusing to do what the cop told him to. I assume that means he told the cop to piss off. He was released on cash bond about 7 hours after he was arrested. I hope this guy fights this with every strand of his being. There is no free speech anymore.

I have a suggestion. Don't Fail to Obey Police or Fire Department!

Maybe he didn't actually resist, I understand this. Fine. Either way you're not going to win a contest like this. Let it go. Get back to the campaign.

I also have no problem believing the that man DID "fail to obey". That's dumb. Do that and lose every time.

DarkLaw
12-10-2007, 06:19 PM
AGREED.

Like I said - without solid video evidence of the ENTIRE incident
or being an eye witness myself - I want to refrain from judgement
either on his part or the officer's part.

Standing in the roadway causes a safety hazard and when asked to
move out of the way of passing traffic, that is a lawful order.
Now, I believe a ticket or summons could have worked
but maybe he or the crowd became a bit excited,
figured if issued a ticket, he would continue to present a hazard
to traffic as soon as the police left.

Dave Wood
12-10-2007, 06:23 PM
I agree! AND I'M A COP!
I just don't think suing ever solves much.
Our society automatically utters, "I'll just sue 'em...that'll teach'em!"
and seriously, what good does that do? It gets covered up and settled out of court.
THAT'S it!

If I KNEW all of the facts of this case I could better argue what I would do in his situation - but until THEN, I've learned better as a police officer not to judge to quickly.

I dunno - maybe when he was lawfully ordered to move out of the roadway he refused? Maybe others began to interfere. I dunno...there are a million andone thigns about this that we DON'T know and can't guess.

My whole point is not whether he's guilty or innocent or even if the physical arrest is lawful - I'm just saying that SUING solves very little in these situations.

+1