PDA

View Full Version : Horror: Pirate Contact Lenses!

Suzanimal
10-30-2016, 09:18 AM
This Halloween, scores of consumers have purchased nearly 100,000 pairs of "counterfeit, illegal, and unapproved” colored contacts for costumes, all of which have been seized by “Double Vision,” an FDA-led consumer safety campaign.

No one is at risk from purchasing lenses from third-party contact lens vendors. Not surprisingly, optometrists and their favored lens manufacturers like Johnson & Johnson are using this news hook as a means of inciting fear. They are now stepping on the gas of their congressional lobbying efforts so that their bill, The Contact Lens Consumer Health Protection Act (CLCHPA), is passed into law.

The CLCHPA’s objective is to rid the country of the free market reforms brought about by The Fairness in Contact Lens Consumer Act (FCLCA), a 2003 bill that opened the contacts lens industry to free market competition for the first time.

Enraged, optometrist associations and contact lens vendors like Johnson & Johnson immediately began lobbying Congress to change the law. For the past decade, they have been claiming that these third-party vendors are jeopardizing the eye safety of millions of Americans. Specifically, they have expressed concern that these lenses pose a risk of developing keratitis, an eye infection affecting the cornea.

For these reasons, members of the medical lobby drafted the CLCHPA, a new bill that will greatly increase regulations in the contact lens industry, making it extremely difficult for third-party lens vendors to stay in business.

The bill is a solution in search of a problem. It will re-capture the contact lens industry and propel prices upwards, all while failing to increase safety even the slightest degree.

It is ridiculous that some doctors are correlating buying contact lenses from reputable third-party companies like Costco, Walmart, and 1-800 Contacts with purchasing them illegally from a Halloween street vendor.

For one, the lenses sold by third-party sellers are federally regulated. You still need a prescription to purchase contact lenses from online sellers (although numerous studies, as well as practices in other nations, have shown that even prescriptions are not necessary), and doctors still have the ability to strike down each sale if there is a legitimate health concern.

In a letter written to the CLCHPA’s authors, Dr. Paul B. Donzis, a professor of ophthalmology at UCLA, made clear that buying contacts from online sellers poses no danger. “Based on…authoritative scientific articles, it appears that online sales of contact lenses have not contributed to any increase in the incidence of contact lens related injury,” he said.

Moreover, the medical studies match the doctor’s rhetoric. A 20-year epidemiologic study conducted by Doctors Schein, Stapleton, and Keay, published in 2007 by the medical journal Eye & Contact Lens, found that there has not been any increase in microbial keratitis since the online contact industry sprouted up and began providing more and better affordable choices for consumers.

https://fee.org/articles/horror-pirate-contacts-lenses/

tod evans
10-30-2016, 09:26 AM
Think of the jobs this fine bill will create!

SWAT teams in every major metropolitan area, investigative task forces, special prosecutors and tip line operators...

Why do you hate freedom?

euphemia
10-30-2016, 09:28 AM
I've used contact lens vendors for over ten years. Taking the price from about $400 a year down to about $120 a year only makes sense. At a time when vision plans become more expensive and pay less, people need real choices in their vision products. My glasses are very expensive, even with insurance. Contacts are cheaper and I can spread that cost over the year.

Regulation drives up the cost of products. The contacts I order through the mail are identical to the ones I get through my doctor. The boxes are exactly the same.

Cleaner44
10-30-2016, 10:01 AM
Johnson & Johnson is such a fine company to look out for our health like this. It good, real good that they do these things to limit the market place to only products that they know are safe for us. There is no reason that people should have choices when one mega-company can provide for all of our wants and needs.

bunklocoempire
10-30-2016, 06:15 PM
I broke my glasses and I'm using an old prescription. Month and a half wait to get in, be seen, and get permission to buy a new pair.
I should have some new glasses next year sometime. It was a week and a half wait about three years ago, and of course our premiums have gone up.

It is criminal to attempt to see without permission, just as the founders intended.

MelissaWV
10-30-2016, 06:19 PM
I broke my glasses and I'm using an old prescription. Month and a half wait to get in, be seen, and get permission to buy a new pair.
I should have some new glasses next year sometime. It was a week and a half wait about three years ago, and of course our premiums have gone up.

It is criminal to attempt to see without permission, just as the founders intended.

WalMart created new glasses for my grandmother from her current (broken) glasses without a prescription. They read the lenses and recreated them. Pretty sure her last eye exam of that sort was five years ago. I doubt they would do it for someone whose vision is likely to have changed significantly, but if you go in and tell them it's for an elderly parent who keeps breaking their glasses, they might do the same thing. We did WalMart simply because she is 96 and loses/breaks glasses a lot, so having $10-$30 frames makes a lot of sense.

Suzanimal
10-30-2016, 06:29 PM
WalMart created new glasses for my grandmother from her current (broken) glasses without a prescription. They read the lenses and recreated them. Pretty sure her last eye exam of that sort was five years ago. I doubt they would do it for someone whose vision is likely to have changed significantly, but if you go in and tell them it's for an elderly parent who keeps breaking their glasses, they might do the same thing. We did WalMart simply because she is 96 and loses/breaks glasses a lot, so having $10-$30 frames makes a lot of sense.

They wouldn't for my husband and he had his eye exam there. They said his prescription had expired and he had to get another eye exam.

MelissaWV
10-30-2016, 06:32 PM
They wouldn't for my husband and he had his eye exam there. They said his prescription had expired and he had to get another eye exam.

But he's a young buck :p

I'm sure it varies one to the other, but I'm grateful they didn't require a new prescription for grandma. She's a terror.

Suzanimal
10-30-2016, 06:35 PM
But he's a young buck :p

I'm sure it varies one to the other, but I'm grateful they didn't require a new prescription for grandma. She's a terror.

I'm glad they did for your Granny but Mr A is hardly a young buck, lol. He started getting letters from the AARP a few years ago.