PDA

View Full Version : Bundy juror ex-fed

tod evans
10-26-2016, 12:53 PM
Where's presence and his "Mock Trials" quote?

Defense in Oregon ranch standoff trial asks to boot 'biased' juror

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/26/defense-in-oregon-ranch-standoff-trial-asks-to-boot-biased-juror.html

A defense attorney for one of the defendants on trial for the armed takeover of a federal wildlife refuge in Oregon has asked a judge overseeing jury deliberations to dismiss a juror over allegations of bias.

Marcus Mumford, the attorney for defendant Ammon Bundy, said in the motion filed early Wednesday that if Juror No. 11 is not dismissed, the court should declare a mistrial.

Another juror sent a note Tuesday stating a juror had declared he was "very biased" during deliberations.

U.S. District Judge Anna Brown says the juror is a man who worked for the Bureau of Land Management 20 years ago.

Another federal land management agency -- the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service -- oversees the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, which Bundy and six others took over for 41 days in January.

Spikender
10-26-2016, 01:43 PM
A bias from when you worked for the Feds twenty years ago?

A tax tick's loyalty never dies.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-26-2016, 09:41 PM
How did they not catch this fed prick during selection?

UWDude
10-26-2016, 10:33 PM
Not just fed, BLM fed. Amazing. And they just snuck him in too. I know it is not a coincidence, and I know the juror did not act alone.

phill4paul
10-27-2016, 02:53 AM
Juror booted...

A federal judge in the conspiracy trial of seven people who took part in the armed occupation of a U.S. wildlife center in Oregon dismissed a juror over questions of bias on Wednesday, then ordered jury deliberations to begin anew with a replacement.

"It's a new jury, a new day, a new start," U.S. District Judge Anna Brown said as she directed an alternate to step in for the disqualified juror, stressing that the reconstituted panel must renew its consideration of the case from scratch.

"They cannot pick up where they left off," she said.

The jury's impartiality came under scrutiny on Tuesday, on day three of deliberations, when the panel sent a handwritten note to the judge stating that one juror had professed to being "very biased" at the outset of the jury sessions last week.

According to the letter, a copy of which defense lawyers showed journalists, the juror cited his past employment with the federal Bureau of Land Management (BLM), though it left unclear whether his supposed bias was for or against the government.

Brown questioned the juror behind closed doors on Tuesday and said afterward she found "no basis" for concluding he was biased.

But defense lawyers said they were not convinced, and filed a motion on Wednesday calling for a mistrial unless the judge agreed to dismiss the juror in question and restart deliberations with an alternate in his place.

The judge agreed to dismiss the juror on Wednesday, deciding she had no other recourse. Brown said that opening the jury to further interrogation on the matter would have undermined the sanctity of deliberations, which must remain private.

The dismissed juror's history as a BLM employee 20 years ago was actually first disclosed during jury selection. But neither side made an issue of it then, even though the defendants' antagonism toward the government, particularly the BLM, was at the heart of the case.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/juror-oregon-militia-trial-dismissed-bias-judge-181725772.html

Thor
10-27-2016, 10:51 AM
The dismissed juror's history as a BLM employee 20 years ago was actually first disclosed during jury selection. But neither side made an issue of it then, even though the defendants' antagonism toward the government, particularly the BLM, was at the heart of the case.

Is Marcus Mumford a court appointed attorney for Ammon, or just an idiot?

CPUd
10-27-2016, 05:14 PM
All acquitted in this case. Some of them still have charges in NV, but I think most of the ones not named Bundy are off the hook.

CPUd
10-27-2016, 05:25 PM
Is Marcus Mumford a court appointed attorney for Ammon, or just an idiot?

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/791781891363917824

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/791782218708291589

pcosmar
10-27-2016, 07:40 PM
My Wife greeted me with this news before I logged in. She was watching it.
Till the feed stopped

Natural Citizen
10-27-2016, 07:42 PM
How did they not catch this fed prick during selection?

eeeeeeyep. Good question.

pcosmar
10-27-2016, 07:50 PM
My Wife greeted me with this news before I logged in. She was watching it.
Till the feed stopped

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/10/oregon_standoff_verdicts_annou.html

tod evans
10-28-2016, 10:22 AM
Chaos erupts in courtroom after Bundy brothers, other Oregon occupiers found not guilty on federal charges

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/bundy-brothers-oregon-occupiers-found-not-guilty-article-1.2848047

A defense lawyer was tased and taken into custody after commotion erupted inside an Oregon courtroom when the leaders of a weeks-long occupation of a federal wildlife refuge were acquitted on all major charges Thursday.

A group of rifle-toting protesters led by conservative ranchers Ammon and Ryan Bundy stayed at the Malheur National Wildlife refuge near Burns for 41 days before the final demonstrators surrendered to police in mid-February.

The Bundy brothers, along with five other defendants, were charged with federal counts including conspiring to impede wildlife refuge employees and possession of guns at a federal facility.

After handing down the not-guilty verdicts, Judge Anna Brown let all defendants go, except for Ammon and Ryan Bundy who face federal charges in Nevada, where their father, Cliven Bundy, held his own armed standoff against federal authorities in 2014.

Militia leader tied to Cliven Bundy tried to blow up fed building
Ammon Bundy's lawyer, Marcus Mumford, told reporters outside the courthouse that U.S. marshals tased him after he urged Brown to release his client immediately.

en Bundy tried to blow up fed building
Ammon Bundy's lawyer, Marcus Mumford, told reporters outside the courthouse that U.S. marshals tased him after he urged Brown to release his client immediately.

A visibly shaken Mumford said he had simply asked the marshals to produce some paperwork for rearresting his client.

"I said 'if the marshals have something to say about it let's see what orders they have, let's see what papers they have to take him into custody again,'" Mumford said. "Next thing I know they took a hold of me and was talking about how I was resisting arrest. They were twisting my legs and put me to the ground and then they tased me."

Mumford was released after being briefly put in handcuffs and reportedly cited for disorderly conduct and resisting lawful order.

The Fish and Wildlife Service released photos from the Malheur national wildlife refuge in Harney County, Oregon, showing the damage done by the Oregon militia during its 41-day standoff last January. The photos show trashed buildings and damaged facilities, and give insight on the lives of the protesters.

Oregon Gov. Kate Brown said in a statement that she is disappointed by the verdict but respects the jury's decision.

"The occupation of the Malheur Refuge by outsiders did not reflect the Oregon way of respectfully working together to resolve differences," she posted on Twitter.

Harney County Sheriff David Ward, who was at the center of negotiations between the armed occupiers and law enforcement, echoed Brown's sentiment.

"While I am disappointed in the outcome, I believe our form of government and justice system to be the best in the world," he said in a statement. "This is our system and I stand by it."

Rancher Ryan Bundy tried to escape jail with braided bed sheets
The trial lasted for weeks, though jury maneuver by the judge likely paved the way for the sweeping not guilty verdicts.

Juror 11, who another juror said may be partial to the government because of previous work for the federal Bureau of Land Management, was dismissed on Wednesday and replaced, the Oregonian reported.

Though there are many photos of the Bundys and other defendants at the refuge, occasionally armed, their defense teams argued that the occupation was justified as civil disobedience.

The standoff, where protesters said federal land should be turned over to locals, drew national attention, repeatedly dominating headlines with fears that the occupation may end in bloodshed.

At one point in late January the Bundys left the refuge for a meeting with a local sheriff, but were intercepted by police and arrested.

The occupation's spokesman Robert LaVoy Finicum, was shot and killed by police in the encounter, and video footage appears to confirm authorities' account that he was reaching for a gun in his jacket pocket.

Most at the refuge surrendered in the days after Finicum's death, though some stayed on and surrendered when officers close in on Feb. 11.

Beyond the seven acquitted Thursday, nineteen other occupiers were charged with conspiracy. Eleven pleaded guilty, one had the charge dropped and seven are scheduled for trial next year.

A visibly shaken Mumford said he had simply asked the marshals to produce some paperwork for rearresting his client.

"I said 'if the marshals have something to say about it let's see what orders they have, let's see what papers they have to take him into custody again,'" Mumford said. "Next thing I know they took a hold of me and was talking about how I was resisting arrest. They were twisting my legs and put me to the ground and then they tased me."

Mumford was released after being briefly put in handcuffs and reportedly cited for disorderly conduct and resisting lawful order.