PDA

View Full Version : Justin Amash answers Michigan Radio's candidate questionnaire

tsai3904
10-24-2016, 02:09 PM
Justin Amash

Justin Amash is running for the U.S. House of Representatives in Michigan's 3rd District as the Republican candidate.

As part of our election coverage, we asked all the major-party candidates running for Congress the same questions.

4 Questions for Justin Amash.

1. What is the most important issue facing your district?

Upholding the Constitution and the Rule of Law to defend liberty and preventing the government from undermining economic prosperity are the most important issues facing our district.

2. How do you plan to address it?

I have been a leader in defense of our Fifth Amendment-secured right to due process and Fourth Amendment-secured right against unreasonable searches and seizures. I will continue to pursue reforms like the Amash Amendment to prohibit the NSA and other government agencies from spying on all Americans in violation of the Constitution.

On the economic front, Congress must reduce taxes and unnecessary regulations that stifle innovation and increase unemployment. Low taxes across the board and a simplified regulatory system are the best ways to promote growth. We can reduce tax rates if we reduce spending. Congress must address the biggest drivers of the debt—large mandatory spending programs and military spending. I also support a well-structured balanced budget amendment, like my bipartisan H.J. Res. 54, the Business Cycle Balanced Budget Amendment.

3. What book or movie have you seen/read recently that you would recommend? Why?

I recently rewatched Jurassic Park, which may be the best film ever made on the futility of central planning and social engineering.

4. If you don't win the election, what will you do?

I approach every election with the expectation of winning.

http://michiganradio.org/term/justin-amash