PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco supervisors vote to give Italy $100,000 for quake relief

tsai3904
10-19-2016, 09:28 AM
SF supervisors vote to give Italy $100,000 for quake relief

October 18, 2016

A divided Board of Supervisors voted Tuesday to donate $100,000 to help Italy recover from the devastating earthquake there in August.

Proponents said giving the money was part of a long and proud tradition of the city helping other cities and countries in need. Opponents said the money should be spent on San Francisco residents.

But Supervisor Mark Farrell said the money should be spent at home.

“The city of San Francisco should not be in the business of providing financial relief for natural disasters around the world,” Farrell said after the vote.

“What about the Syrian refugee crisis or the ISIS bombings in Europe over the summer?” he asked. “It’s a slippery slope that has no end. Our focus should be on the residents and neighborhoods of San Francisco, plain and simple.”

More:
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/S-F-supervisors-vote-to-give-Italy-100-000-for-9982139.php

Brian4Liberty
10-19-2016, 10:02 AM
Really? Did these Supervisors put in the money themselves, or are they being generous with other people's money?

phill4paul
10-19-2016, 03:28 PM
Hope Italy reciprocates when they have their own. But, I doubt it.

oyarde
10-19-2016, 03:45 PM
Really? Did these Supervisors put in the money themselves, or are they being generous with other people's money?

Well , I imagine that would be the San Francisco tax payers money . Would not want to be one of those .

phill4paul
10-19-2016, 04:06 PM
Well , I imagine that would be the San Francisco tax payers money . Would not want to be one of those .

That's only $.12 per citizen of San Fran. Such a paltry sum to give to someone else. Why for just $.12 imagine how many more people they could help out! Perhaps the flood victims in the Carolinas?