PDA

View Full Version : Johnson To Get in Debate?

RonPaulMall
10-18-2016, 10:46 AM
I've been hearing rumors on Trump boards that Trump is going propose a 4th Debate after Thursday night. He's going to say the msm spent too much time on tabloid rumors and not enough on issues and that the American people deserve one final "issues based" debate with some kind of altered format which just gives topics and then lets candidates debate them sort of Lincoln-Douglas style.

Anyway, obviously Hillary would't want to do this so apparently the hook Trump is going to use to force her in to it is to invite Johnson and Stein too. They'll obviously say yes immediately so you'll have 3/4 candidates committed and then Hillary either has to say yes or she gets left out. So it looks like may be a very good chance Johnson winds up getting in the debates after all. My only hope is that he bones up a bit on basic libertarian ideology so he doesn't have any "Nazi cake" moments in front of such a huge audience.

CaptUSA
10-18-2016, 10:56 AM
It'd be nice, but this seems like wishful thinking.

I just don't see the MSM over-riding the CPD. Especially, since the results would be unpredictable.

RonPaulMall
10-18-2016, 11:20 AM
It'd be nice, but this seems like wishful thinking.

I just don't see the MSM over-riding the CPD. Especially, since the results would be unpredictable.

Would they have a choice? Call it "The Peoples Debate" and offer the feed free to any network that wants to air it. I'm sure they wouldn't want to air it, but how do they justify that decision? And if the MSM declined, you know some low rating network is going to jump at it just for the publicity. Would be humiliating for the MSM if the final Presidential debate was being broadcast by Animal Planet Chanel or something.

Don't see how they could stop it. Only problem is the whole thing is dependent on Trump kicking the ball off. If he doesn't want to do it, Johnson and Stein have no leverage to force him. But I don't see why he wouldn't do it. Media is going to try to freeze him out the final two weeks and this would be a great way of forcing them to cover him.

jllundqu
10-18-2016, 11:29 AM
Not going to happen. Trump takes his marching order from his handlers now too. Disruptive ideas like this are not allowed, lol.

RonPaulMall
10-18-2016, 11:37 AM
Not going to happen. Trump takes his marching order from his handlers now too. Disruptive ideas like this are not allowed, lol.

Bannon has got him giving speeches calling out the international bankers and proposing bans on lobbying for former politicians. This would be positively mainstream compared to that. I think it happens. Johnson MUST be ready for it. Thankfully that dolt Weld won't be on stage with him but Gary needs to make the coherent and compelling case for basic libertarian philosophy that until this point he hasn't done a fantastic job articulating.

P3ter_Griffin
10-18-2016, 02:25 PM
What would Hillary have to lose by not participating? Compared to how much Trump would have to lose by debating against far more principled candidates.

I could see Trump making a tweet about it with it being contingent on Hillary also agreeing. And when Hillary no doubt declines Trump would go on and on about how Hillary is to scurred to debate them. I give it next to zero chance of happening. $.02

euphemia
10-18-2016, 02:29 PM
Except Johnson is not principled.

ARealConservative
10-18-2016, 02:36 PM
Except Johnson is not principled.

more principled then Trump.

r3volution 3.0
10-18-2016, 03:08 PM
I've been hearing rumors on Trump boards that Trump is going propose a 4th Debate after Thursday night. He's going to say the msm spent too much time on tabloid rumors and not enough on issues and that the American people deserve one final "issues based" debate with some kind of altered format which just gives topics and then lets candidates debate them sort of Lincoln-Douglas style.

Right, because, say what you will about Trump, he's all about substantive discussion of the issues....

https://m.popkey.co/892fd0/MwA9k.gif

Superfluous Man
10-18-2016, 03:10 PM
What's the source for these rumors? The fact that they're from "the Trump boards" suggests that it's just wishful thinking from the deplorables.

RonPaulMall
10-21-2016, 05:45 AM
Right, because, say what you will about Trump, he's all about substantive discussion of the issues....

https://m.popkey.co/892fd0/MwA9k.gif

Trump has zero interest in discussing issues. But he is a master of media manipulation. If the MSM attempts a complete media blackout of Trump in the final two weeks (a high probability) he'll react by doing things that force them to cover him. A televised town hall (most likely in a key state like PA or NH) with Stein and Johnson and with Hillary invited and either showing up or not would be a huge story sure to guarantee him heavy coverage.

Now it may turn out that Trump continues his rise in the polls, the media doesn't freeze him out, and Trump ends up not needing to do this. And you are correct, if he doesn't need to do it he won't, because discussing the issues for issues sake is definitely not Trump's cup of tea. But given the media's behavior thus far, there is a strong possibility they'll pull something that forces Trump's hand and if that is the case Gary needs to be ready. This would be the first time a LP candidate would be in a debate with a major party nominee and the pressure not to screw it up would be huge.

fisharmor
10-21-2016, 06:06 AM
Gary needs to be ready?
Gary is Gary.
Gary is going to do what Gary does and Gary is going to be what Gary is. Which is a moderate leftist.

If you kicked Ron Paul out of bed at 3:30 in the morning and put him on a stage with a bunch of other political figures he would say and be the exact same thing we have always seen.

Anyone who needs grooming to say the right thing is the wrong candidate.

r3volution 3.0
10-21-2016, 08:00 AM
Gary is going to be what Gary is. Which is a moderate leftist.

Returning to the gold standard,
balancing the budget through spending cuts,
opposing all bailouts,
opposing Keynesianism,
opposing labor unions,
opposing the minimum wage,
opposing socialized medicine...

These are "moderate leftist" positions?

Can you name me another "moderate leftist" who holds such positions?

helmuth_hubener
10-21-2016, 08:19 AM
Gary needs to be ready?
Gary is Gary.
Gary is going to do what Gary does and Gary is going to be what Gary is. Which is a moderate leftist.

If you kicked Ron Paul out of bed at 3:30 in the morning and put him on a stage with a bunch of other political figures he would say and be the exact same thing we have always seen.

Anyone who needs grooming to say the right thing is the wrong candidate.
Good insight. High-quality post.

Superfluous Man
10-21-2016, 01:19 PM
If you kicked Ron Paul out of bed at 3:30 in the morning

Unrealistic premise.

Sumthinorother
10-23-2016, 08:38 PM
Why don't they all just attend this debate they have been invited to on Tuesday?

http://freeandequal.org/uwsf/

I have another thread about trying to tweet Trump to get him to go.

"The Johnson Campaign did offer the possibility of the candidate giving a public statement on the live stream. Free and Equal respectfully declined."

...“McMullin and Stein have hinged their participation on Johnson committing to the event”

Both quotes are from this press release:
http://freeandequal.org/2016/10/free-and-equals-presidential-debate-will-be-free-and-equal/

RonPaulMall
10-24-2016, 04:55 PM
Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday after Halloween makes most sense. I would hope McMullin is NOT invited.

H. E. Panqui
10-24-2016, 05:22 PM
Returning to the gold standard

:cool:

...ugh...someone tell gary and the rest of the ludwiggers we've never had any honest (100% reserve) gold standard to 'return' to....yes radio listeners, it'$ LARGELY ALWAYS been merely bankster paper and bankster number$...they threw in a little bit of government-issued gold coin$ to confu$e and brainwa$h the republicrat mulletry...

.....hint for libertarians:..much more steve zarlenga, much less glenn beck...

...[wow!! ...are we in trouble..darkness..ignorant yet so confident....ugh...]

euphemia
10-24-2016, 05:47 PM
Give it up on Johnson. Just give it up. He was a lost cause before he was nominated. He had an opportunity to present a principled approach to liberty, and he failed, failed, failed.