PDA

View Full Version : US Issues Emergency Ban On Flying With Samsung Galaxy Note 7, Offenders May Face Criminal Chgs

DamianTV
10-14-2016, 09:24 PM
Title had too many characters. Title altered for space.

US Issues Emergency Ban On Flying With Samsung Galaxy Note 7, Offenders May Face Criminal Prosecution
https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/16/10/14/2039239/us-issues-emergency-ban-on-flying-with-samsung-galaxy-note-7-offenders-may-face-criminal-prosecution

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphone will be banned from aircraft in the United States starting at noon EDT (1600 GMT) under an emergency order, regulators said on Friday. Among other penalties, those who attempt to circumvent the ban could be subjected to criminal prosecutions, the regulators added. Quartz reports:

On Friday (Oct. 14), US Department of Transportation announced that passengers would no longer be able to bring the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 onto any flight in the United States. There have been nearly 100 reported cases of the phones catching on fire and spewing noxious black smoke, an undesired situation in an airplane's enclosed cabin. "Individuals who own or possess a Samsung Galaxy Note7 device may not transport the device on their person, in carry-on baggage, or in checked baggage on flights to, from, or within the United States," the US DOT statement said. Any travelers who violate the ban could be subject to criminal prosecution and fines. Samsung is expected to see a $5.3 billion loss in profits from the entire fiasco, mainly the cost of recalling, stopping production, and destroying phones.

Samsung said it will send a text message to all Note 7 users to let them know about this ban.

fisharmor
10-14-2016, 09:47 PM
Good. Fuck Samsung. About time they got some karmic retribution for their role in destroying Android.

Danke
10-14-2016, 09:53 PM
Airlines add 'fire containment bags' for overheating phones following Samsung Galaxy Note 7 problems
The bags can be shut with Velcro and heavy-duty zippers
Can withstand temperatures up to 3,200 degrees Fahrenheit

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3837248/Airlines-add-fire-containment-bags-overheating-phones.html#ixzz4N7es1wyP
Follow us: MAIlOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

oyarde
10-14-2016, 09:56 PM
Airlines add 'fire containment bags' for overheating phones following Samsung Galaxy Note 7 problems
The bags can be shut with Velcro and heavy-duty zippers
Can withstand temperatures up to 3,200 degrees Fahrenheit

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3837248/Airlines-add-fire-containment-bags-overheating-phones.html#ixzz4N7es1wyP
Follow us: MAIlOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Can I just stow my 9MM in a fire containment bag ? And what about my pocket knife since it is less dangerous than a phone ?

luctor-et-emergo
10-15-2016, 12:45 AM
Good, as long as they thoroughly warn people about it before boarding.

The One
10-15-2016, 06:18 AM
This whole thing reminds me of all the hand-wringing that went on last Christmas over the "hover boards" catching fire. About a gazillion people, including myself, still bought them for their kids. Have you heard anything lately about kids being barbecued on their hover boards?

phill4paul
10-15-2016, 07:53 AM
Fatwas are intermediate decries designed to keep you safe until your elected government can officially rule on the issues. You should thank your fellow citizens and our elected government for keeping us safe. Lord knows companies, since they are never held accountable, wouldn't do it.

devil21
10-15-2016, 11:32 AM
This whole thing reminds me of all the hand-wringing that went on last Christmas over the "hover boards" catching fire. About a gazillion people, including myself, still bought them for their kids. Have you heard anything lately about kids being barbecued on their hover boards?

I can't put my finger on it but something about this whole Note 7 story stinks. Corporations put out faulty products all the time, some of which actually kill people and barely a peep from the manufacturer since it's easier to pay off the few cases than to damage their entire corporate profile through giant, costly recall campaigns. I've seen a few pics of what looks like damaged/burnt phones and a whole lot of media hot air (a sign of potential fuckery). Now, the phones are banned from planes? Dunno about y'all but this story smells to me. Makes me wonder if the Note 7 has some unintended features like not being easily hacked/tracked/EMP proof/etc and this is an attempt to get everyone that owns one to ditch it. Why so desperate to get them out of people's hands? Almost makes me want to go get one lol.