PDA

View Full Version : CIA Prepping for Possible Cyber Strike Against Russia

vonMises
10-14-2016, 09:00 PM
CIA Prepping for Possible Cyber Strike Against Russia
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/cia-prepping-possible-cyber-strike-against-russia-n666636
by WILLIAM M. ARKIN, KEN DILANIAN and ROBERT WINDREM

EXCLUSIVE NEWS
OCT 14 2016, 8:30 PM ET

http://www.nbcnews.com/widget/video-embed/786434627946

The Obama administration is contemplating an unprecedented cyber covert action against Russia in retaliation for alleged Russian interference in the American presidential election, U.S. intelligence officials told NBC News.

Current and former officials with direct knowledge of the situation say the CIA has been asked to deliver options to the White House for a wide-ranging "clandestine" cyber operation designed to harass and "embarrass" the Kremlin leadership.

The sources did not elaborate on the exact measures the CIA was considering, but said the agency had already begun opening cyber doors, selecting targets and making other preparations for an operation. Former intelligence officers told NBC News that the agency had gathered reams of documents that could expose unsavory tactics by Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Vice President Joe Biden told "Meet the Press" moderator Chuck Todd on Friday that "we're sending a message" to Putin and that "it will be at the time of our choosing, and under the circumstances that will have the greatest impact."

When asked if the American public will know a message was sent, the vice president replied, "Hope not."

Retired Admiral James Stavridis told NBC News' Cynthia McFadden that the U.S. should attack Russia's ability to censor its internal internet traffic and expose the financial dealings of Putin and his associates.

"It's well known that there's great deal of offshore money moved outside of Russia from oligarchs," he said. "It would be very embarrassing if that was revealed, and that would be a proportional response to what we've seen" in Russia's alleged hacks and leaks targeting U.S. public opinion.

Sean Kanuck, who was until this spring the senior U.S. intelligence official responsible for analyzing Russian cyber capabilities, said not mounting a response would carry a cost.

http://www.nbcnews.com/widget/video-embed/786308675872

"If you publicly accuse someone," he said, "and don't follow it up with a responsive action, that may weaken the credible threat of your response capability."

President Obama will ultimately have to decide whether he will authorize a CIA operation. Officials told NBC News that for now there are divisions at the top of the administration about whether to proceed.

Two former CIA officers who worked on Russia told NBC News that there is a long history of the White House asking the CIA to come up with options for covert action against Russia, including cyber options — only to abandon the idea.

"We've always hesitated to use a lot of stuff we've had, but that's a political decision," one former officer said. "If someone has decided, `We've had enough of the Russians,' there is a lot we can do. Step one is to remind them that two can play at this game and we have a lot of stuff. Step two, if you are looking to mess with their networks, we can do that, but then the issue becomes, they can do worse things to us in other places."

A second former officer, who helped run intelligence operations against Russia, said he was asked several times in recent years to work on covert action plans, but "none of the options were particularly good, nor did we think that any of them would be particularly effective," he said.

http://www.nbcnews.com/widget/video-embed/784399427779

Putin is almost beyond embarrassing, he said, and anything the U.S. can do against, for example, Russian bank accounts, the Russian can do in response.

"Do you want to have Barack Obama bouncing checks?" he asked.

Former CIA deputy director Michael Morell expressed skepticism that the U.S. would go so far as to attack Russian networks.

"Physical attacks on networks is not something the U.S. wants to do because we don't want to set a precedent for other countries to do it as well, including against us," he said. "My own view is that our response shouldn't be covert -- it should overt, for everybody to see."

The Obama administration is debating just that question, officials say — whether to respond to Russia via cyber means, or with traditional measures such as sanctions.

The CIA's cyber operation is being prepared by a team within the CIA's Center for Cyber Intelligence, documents indicate. According to officials, the team has a staff of hundreds and a budget in the hundreds of millions, they say.

The covert action plan is designed to protect the U.S. election system and insure that Russian hackers can't interfere with the November vote, officials say. Another goal is to send a message to Russia that it has crossed a line, officials say.

While the National Security Agency is the center for American digital spying, the CIA is the lead agency for covert action and has its own cyber capabilities. It sometimes brings in the NSA and the Pentagon to help, officials say.

http://www.nbcnews.com/widget/video-embed/782031939852

In earlier days, the CIA was behind efforts to use the internet to put pressure on Slobodan Milosevic in Serbia in 1999, and to pressure Iraqi leadership in 2003 to split off from Saddam Hussein.

According to documents leaked by Edward Snowden, the CIA requested $685.4 million for computer network operations in 2013, compared to $1 billion by the NSA.

Retired Gen. Mike Hayden, who ran the CIA after leading the NSA, wrote this year: "We even had our own cyber force, the Information Operations Center (IOC), that former CIA director George Tenet launched and which had grown steadily under the next spy chief, Porter Goss, and me. The CIA didn't try to replicate or try to compete with NSA… the IOC was a lot like Marine Corps aviation while NSA was an awful lot like America's Air Force."

"I would quote a Russian proverb," said Adm. Stavridis, "which is, 'Probe with bayonets. When you hit mush, proceed. When you hit steel withdraw.' I think unless we stand up to this kind of cyber attack from Russia, we'll only see more and more of it in the future."

vonMises
10-14-2016, 09:01 PM
Perhaps a poor place to put a thread like this...but oh well.

vonMises
10-14-2016, 09:02 PM
Cold War 2.0.

enhanced_deficit
10-14-2016, 09:06 PM
Yea, Chuck Todd of NBC and Biden of Obama will be attacking Russia at the "time of our choosing". Can't find hat vid on youtube yet, it is priceless mass consumptionware.

But problem with announcing such plans in advance is that Putin will now install antivirus before Biden and Todd's dream comes true.

AngryCanadian
10-14-2016, 09:15 PM
If True Why CIA and not NSA? why announce it publicly so Russia would know?

vonMises
10-14-2016, 09:28 PM
If True Why CIA and not NSA? why announce it publicly so Russia would know?

Yeah that's what I thought...but finally a response from the U.S...but too late to have affected the most important election this year besides the U.S. Presidential election, that being the Duma elections that was moved to September when it's usually held in December. The sanctions did crap to deter the Russians but now Obama is upping the stakes in the hybrid war against Russia, China and Iran, which you yourself are apart of by being a front line soldier of it...haha.

Cleaner44
10-14-2016, 09:52 PM
CIA mission according to their website:
The CIA is an independent agency responsible for providing national security intelligence to senior US policymakers.

So how is creating a cyber attack a function of gathering intelligence again?

LibertyEagle
10-15-2016, 12:08 AM
Hillary is chomping at the bit to attack Russia and not just a cyber attack. Not good at all.

Champ
10-15-2016, 08:09 AM
These people are ready to take this country and the entire world to hell, so they can maintain control over land masses an ocean and many thousands of miles away from us.

Meanwhile no one cares, the election, Trump, Hillary, consuming 99.9% of all of the media coverage. We could be at war with Russia right now for all we know and unless you were an ultra aware citizen, you would have no idea.

Humanity has got to learn to free itself from tyranny sooner rather than later or we will all suffer the same consequences due to a small group of elites that pull all the strings around the world.

osan
10-15-2016, 08:16 AM
OK, so let me make sure I have my head wrapped around this: Am I to believe that the POTUS is such a complete study in baboonery that he would publicly announce plans to attack Russia? Am I to believe that nobody at DoD told him that this move tempts open, hot warfare?

Something here is odiferous.

pcosmar
10-15-2016, 09:16 AM
Add it to the list of very stupid things that our overlords do.

and that most compliantly pay for. :(

pcosmar
10-15-2016, 09:19 AM
OK, so let me make sure I have my head wrapped around this: Am I to believe that the POTUS is such a complete study in baboonery that he would publicly announce plans to attack Russia? Am I to believe that nobody at DoD told him that this move tempts open, hot warfare?

Something here is odiferous.

NBC is a Government Propaganda arm, but playing a game that has played out.

like I said,, it is a list of very stupid things

phill4paul
10-15-2016, 11:14 AM
I don't recall hearing of a Congressional vote to go to war.

CCTelander
10-15-2016, 11:18 AM

Congressional vote? How quaint. Nowadays all we need is an edict from our glorious leader. We don't need no steenking Congressional vote.

phill4paul
10-15-2016, 11:25 AM
Congressional vote? How quaint. Nowadays all we need is an edict from our glorious leader. We don't need no steenking Congressional vote.

What was I thinking with my old antiquated ways?

DamianTV
10-15-2016, 11:37 AM
Wait a sec, isnt Cyber Terrorism / Terrorism in general, why they said we need to give up all our privacy for so long? "They might attack us"? Hasnt that always been their excuse? Now, we are gonna be the first to launch a full scale Cyber War?

CCTelander
10-15-2016, 02:17 PM
What was I thinking with my old antiquated ways?

Besides, Comrade, we've always been at (cyber)war with Russia.

osan
10-15-2016, 07:28 PM

And the last time that mattered was... ???

UWDude
10-15-2016, 09:53 PM

War?

You mean "limited and proportionate self defense strikes".

AZJoe
10-16-2016, 08:58 AM
Obama Administration in Full Panic?
http://themindunleashed.com/2016/10/full-panic-obama-administration-orders-the-cia-to-prepare-cyber-war-against-russia.html

While the US maintains that it was “those Russian hackers” who have been supplying Julian Assange, while never actually providing any concrete evidence to support that claim, the US media continues to comply with their owners in telling the world that “they know” its the Russians who have been doing the hacking.

In what might be viewed as an act of complete desperation and panic … the Obama administration has told the CIA to begin preparing for a possible cyber assault that is unprecedented in size against Russia. … VP Joe Biden: “We’re sending a message to Putin. We have the capacity to do it and uh, he’ll know it. It will be at the time of our choosing and under the circumstances that have the greatest impact.” …

many believe that much more damaging [Wiki] leaks are soon to come given the desperation to launch an “unprecedented cyber-attack on Russia.” …

the US is potentially looking to create a cyber-attack with a very large nation in Russia, whose leadership we should be collaborating and cooperating with, and not discussing how we can “get them back.” That is the response of a young child. However, because the US is actually doing this, it raises the question, “why is the Obama administration working so hard to not only discredit the Wikileaks, but actively trying to blame them on another country? Do they have some deep, dark things to hide?” …

Dary
10-16-2016, 11:14 AM
So if it were the RNC that was hacked, would Obama be threatening war with Russia?

lol.