PDA

View Full Version : SERIOUSLY: Ron Paul 1/2 Hour Prime time special

Lucid American
12-09-2007, 12:17 AM
I'm surprised this hasn't gotten legs.

Is anyone looking further into this -- how much it would cost to get a half hour slot on a major network for prime time?

Based on what I've seen there is incredible, heartfelt capabilities all over this movement.

I can totally see it in my head but just have no skills to make it materialize.

I think the "Something Big" commercial would be a great opening to hook the viewer. After that I think a good overview of his philosophy of how domestic monetary policy is so linked to our foreign policy, while also highlighting his character and his consistent record.

I think a well-done half hour could do amazing things and sell millions on him.

literatim
12-09-2007, 12:19 AM
I think it would be a good investment for a PAC. We don't need the campaign to do it when we can do it. We would have to put together a half an hour video of high quality footage.

kylejack
12-09-2007, 12:19 AM
But that would really cut into the money swimming. How can you swim in your vault if there's less money in it?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=34Sb0hGUNIQ

jake
12-09-2007, 12:21 AM
But that would really cut into the money swimming. How can you swim in your vault if there's less money in it?

What are you talking about?

Bodhi
12-09-2007, 12:25 AM

LOL, the first thing I thought was Duck Tales. Too Funny :D

kylejack
12-09-2007, 12:25 AM
What are you talking about?
The campaign's horrible strategy. They're not spending the money, so clearly they must just like swimming in it.

Man from La Mancha
12-09-2007, 12:34 AM
I want to see more transparency in the actual expenditures of HQ and how they are spending our money. I'm all for giving them $100 mil but we need to know if they are waisting it. WE NEED 2 things from them, many prime time infomercials and a DVD quality DVD and they aren't doing anything.:confused::(

coboman
12-09-2007, 12:45 AM
This very similar thread (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=49969) appeared some hours ago.

Please, check it out.

all J's in IL for RP
12-09-2007, 12:51 AM
I don't understand all the back-bitting re: expenditures. Media buys aren't the only thing that costs.

http://query.nictusa.com/pres/2007/Q3/C00432914.html

max
12-09-2007, 12:55 AM
the campaign HQ lacks all imagination and creativity...

they should just turn over the money to us to manage.....

DVDs and infomercials are the only way to overcome the media. I sometimes wonder if there are moles in the campaign who really dont want to win. I have yet to see anything original or creative emanate from them other than the real time donation image....and the kid behind that (Bydlak) came from the grassroots!

coboman
12-09-2007, 01:23 AM
DVDs and infomercials are the only way to overcome the media.

+1.

I have said the same thing in other threads, but not as politely.

I really think this is the way things should be. If Ron Paul is as confident in free markets as he says he is, then by all means the grassroots should be getting all the millions to spend as we see fit.

If we are pouring millions to the official campaign, is for the wow factor. Not because we believe they are spending it properly.

We should have a movement to contact Dr. Paul himself and let him know that we need a better way of communicating with each other, and that the money we raise for HQ, would be much better used by the grassroots organizations.

I see the 10+ millions in the official website, and dream about what wonders we could be making with that money: how many blimps, www.operationnh.com ads, DVD bombs, operation Live Free or Die, etc. etc.

The wonders we have pulled with a small fraction of that money.
And what have they done?

all J's in IL for RP
12-09-2007, 02:01 AM
The best imagination I have seen out of HQ is the free hand. Most other candidates would have lassoed all of you onto a forum board on their site and deleted posts they found not in line with their thinking while telling you were to go and what to do. This campaign has fomented the truest grassroots campaign I have seen in my lifetime. That's the main reason we don't get more press coverage. Having not seen the grassroots in action before, the news readers don't even recognize it for what it is!

Prime time infomercials cost Perot millions. We don't have that luxury; we don't have Mitt money. We've not the most well funded candidate in the race. Most of the summer was spent gaining traction while the rest of the field was building a huge warchest. Even so, we've done a great job making a late charge and assembling some cash on hand. I'm rather glad we're not pulling a Brownback. HQ can't just dump it all into NH and go into super-duper Tuesday broke.

What we have here is a candidate planning for a 50 state campaign. That means staffed field offices, travel expenses, phone banks, literature, and multi-state media strategies. As much as grass roots can do, these things have to be taken care of by an HQ.

Libertarian
12-09-2007, 08:29 AM
We need to get Paul on Meet the Press with Tim Russert. He always does good interviews. I'm sure he will ask tough questions...but tough questions always seem to bring out the best in Paul ;)

Truth Warrior
12-09-2007, 08:48 AM
SERIOUSLY: Ron Paul 1/2 Hour Prime time special
FWIW, it seems like a really good idea to me. ( Or maybe even several prime time specials )

Myerz
12-09-2007, 08:54 AM
If you all are so pissed about how the money is being spent or not knowing how the money is spent then stop giving money to him......directly.
Let's create a grassroots HQ. If you truly are serious about taking over the finances then that's what it is going to take. Basically, instead of clicking on the big green button on Ron Paul's site, you would click the big blue button on the grassrootsHQ.com site, for example.

I agree Ron should tap into the collective and use the vast skill set, but how do you keep the vultures out? How does he let us know what he's doing or what he's planning without letting the ENEMY know? How would the grassrootsHQ do it?

THIS IS A BIG DEAL....I AGREE RON PAUL'S MEDIA DEPT NEEDS SOME REVAMPING. IS THIS WRITING ON THE WALL? IF HE'S NOT USING or LISTENING TO THE FREE MARKET NOW WHAT ABOUT 2009 WHEN HE'S SITTING IN THE WHITE HOUSE?

I'm not trying to start anything, he's a great man. I work for him everyday and will continue to do so....just raising a question.

boondoggle
12-09-2007, 08:56 AM
FWIW, it seems like a really good idea to me. ( Or maybe even several prime time specials )

I think that if you're going to try to propose a fundraiser for this, it won't work. Primetime gets millions from advertisers and millions of viewers. If there's a primetime special, it'd have to be done independantly, proposed by insiders of TV shows like 60 Minutes, 20/20, Dateline, etc.

I do think we all could write letters. That saved UPN/WB/CW shows. It saved Fox's Arrested Development for two seasons, also. It saved Veronica Mars, too. If viewers write-in in the thousands, doing something creative (Veronica Mars fans sent...something, I don't remember what, haha...), they'd get attention and they'd want them. Boycotting advertisers works too, but only if it's organized right. If this is done there should be a nifty website made for it.

Maybe ABC's iCAUGHT would be a cool show to have a half hour special? Don't they show web videos or something? (I quit watching TV a while ago...) If they DO do that, they should have a Ron Paul special, with videos made by supporters. :)

Just my two cents . . .

1913_to_2008
12-09-2007, 08:59 AM
I think this would get us more supporters than the Time Square idea. I like the Time Square idea but, it seems more about egos than getting supporters. It's going to cost 300-400K just think how many infomercials can run for that price.

Pride
12-09-2007, 09:02 AM
This would be a great idea.
In what states would the half hour be shown?
Who can/will make high quality footage for television?

Truth Warrior
12-09-2007, 09:23 AM
I think that if you're going to try to propose a fundraiser for this, it won't work. Primetime gets millions from advertisers and millions of viewers. If there's a primetime special, it'd have to be done independantly, proposed by insiders of TV shows like 60 Minutes, 20/20, Dateline, etc.

I do think we all could write letters. That saved UPN/WB/CW shows. It saved Fox's Arrested Development for two seasons, also. It saved Veronica Mars, too. If viewers write-in in the thousands, doing something creative (Veronica Mars fans sent...something, I don't remember what, haha...), they'd get attention and they'd want them. Boycotting advertisers works too, but only if it's organized right. If this is done there should be a nifty website made for it.

Maybe ABC's iCAUGHT would be a cool show to have a half hour special? Don't they show web videos or something? (I quit watching TV a while ago...) If they DO do that, they should have a Ron Paul special, with videos made by supporters. :)

Just my two cents . . .

I'm NOT proposing another fundraiser for this idea. It just seems to be a really good one to me. It could be end around play on the MSM ignoring tactics. Wondering how Ross Perot pulled it off? (Of course being a billionaire probably helped somewhat. :) )

Wondering about costs, logistics, possiblities, etc.?

More questions than answers here!

Thanks!

JenHarris
12-09-2007, 09:45 AM
I want to see more transparency in the actual expenditures of HQ and how they are spending our money. I'm all for giving them $100 mil but we need to know if they are waisting it. WE NEED 2 things from them, many prime time infomercials and a DVD quality DVD and they aren't doing anything.:confused::(

They ARE spending money, opening HQ's in almost every state, getting supplies out. Ads on TV and on the Radio. Travel. Hiring more staff. If you don't trust Ron Paul to run his campaign the right way, how on earth can you trust him to run the government? Seriously.

Also, don't you think if he is too transparent it might be tipping off the opposition as to what his plans are? The reason the campaign doesn't divulge more info to us is because it's on a need to know basis, and we don't need to know. We want to know, and while I certainly sympathize with everyone who feels this way, I also understand that the campaign knows what it's doing.

I remember the IL thread where people were going crazy, throwing accusations about how nothing was being done, how the campaign was dropping the ball, someone protested and wanted an apology for something, etc. Then I'd hear from the petition organizer exactly where we stood on a weekly basis, and that we were, in fact, right on track with where we needed to be. We have way too much of this type of inflammatory speculation based accusation going on here on the forums.

My point is this: Just because YOU don't know what is going on, doesn't' mean nothing is going on, and just because you are a supporter, doesn't mean you have the right to know every last detail.

Bigboyen
12-09-2007, 09:48 AM
I think it's a bit strange that people that will vote for Paul, and trust him in running the country, don't think he is able of running his own campaign.

I trust in Paul and also his winning record in elections is really strong.

McDermit
12-09-2007, 09:48 AM
marshmellows and mars bars for veronica mars.

the most popular was the"Nuts for Jericho" campaign

Just my two cents . . .

BLS
12-09-2007, 09:54 AM
OK....

Stop complaining about the campaign, and let's do it ourselves.

1 - 30 minute 'infomercial' on Ron Paul.
What station, what time, what day?

Then we can find out how expensive it will be and we can go from there.

jake
12-09-2007, 09:57 AM
I don't understand all the back-bitting re: expenditures. Media buys aren't the only thing that costs.

http://query.nictusa.com/pres/2007/Q3/C00432914.html

Some Ron Paul campaign expenditures of note: :D

Subway #2479 4.06
Subway #4480 8.25
Subway #4768 8.01
Sunoco #7544 27.87
Sunoco #7659 38.68
Supermart Conoco 32.00

MozoVote
12-09-2007, 10:01 AM
I'd kind of like to see the HQ do this - but I'm not sure it'd be as effective as Ross Perot's efforts. That was back in the days of "the big 3 networks" and there was more of a captive audience.

TomTX
12-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Prime time infomercials cost Perot millions. We don't have that luxury; we don't have Mitt money. We've not the most well funded candidate in the race. Most of the summer was spent gaining traction while the rest of the field was building a huge warchest.

Giuliani is the only candidate whose campaign ended 3Q with a "huge warchest"

At the end of 3Q:

$11.4M Giuliani
$6.4M Thompson
$5.4M Ron Paul.

The next runner up was Huckabee with $0.6M

Romney ended 3Q with his campaign at NEGATIVE $8.1M (not that it matters financially - he can personally put in a $10M "loan" each quarter.)

Between the end of 3Q and today, the official Ron Paul campaign has had access to $16.25M in donations (End of 3Q balance, plus 4Q donations) - that's a pretty damn good warchest going toward the early primary states.

The impression I've been getting is that the campaign has been spending a lot of time getting together the structure to really hit these states hard starting in a couple of weeks coupled with enough increased interim campaigning to get things rolling.

Lucid American
12-09-2007, 10:57 PM
I think there's NO WAY we've seen the campaign's master plan.

Right now Huckabee is wrestling with his own demons, Thompson has collapsed, and Giuliani and Romney will canabilize each other.

Paul's in great position for a surge in all the early states from Christmas on. Until then I think it's clear the grassroots effort is doing a good job in the eyes of the campaign. There will come a time for them to bust out their "PR Bomb".

dircha
12-09-2007, 11:08 PM

We can't afford prime time informercials and a Hollywood quality DVD.

Ross Perot spent $60 MILLION of his OWN money in 1992. That's how he did it. We don't have that.

The campaign is spending its money on a large advertising campaign in the 5 early states, focusing on IA and NH, over the rest of the quarter.

And nationwide primetime advertising is not cost effective. The Romney campaign tried this approach early on and abandoned it because targeted advertising in early states is much more cost effective.

Jimmy
12-09-2007, 11:12 PM
There will come a time for them to bust out their "PR Bomb".

I sure hope its coming.

Brad Zink
12-09-2007, 11:14 PM
I like the idea of an infomercial if we broadcast it in select markets across the nation.

Cities in New Hampshire and Iowa would be the ideal places to start this!

coboman
12-09-2007, 11:15 PM
As I stated in this thread (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=42534), money is really not an issue because an infomercial could have a call to action, urging viewers to donate NOW! and therefore, paying for itself.

We, as individuals, cannot do this. It is illegal for a PAC to ask for money.

Only the official campaign can use this strategy.

user
12-09-2007, 11:17 PM
LOL, the first thing I thought was Duck Tales. Too Funny :D
I saw way too many parallels to the campaign in that video. Someone should make an edit!

dircha
12-09-2007, 11:18 PM

DVDs and infomercials are the only way to overcome the media. I sometimes wonder if there are moles in the campaign who really dont want to win. I have yet to see anything original or creative emanate from them other than the real time donation image....and the kid behind that (Bydlak) came from the grassroots!

Grassroots door-to-door canvassing works. Targeted television and radio advertising works. Overcome the media? Targeted television and radio advertising overcomes the media. You know, commercials? Those things in between the media broadcasts. They come direct from the sponsors to you on your sofa.

Originality and creativity don't get votes on the scale we need. Targeting television and radio advertising does, and that's what the official campaign is doing. Grassroots door-to-door canvassing does, and that's what we're doing. Gimmicks get attention, they don't get votes.

Brad Zink
12-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Could a PAC broadcast a purely educational program about Ron Paul and his policies?

cindy25
12-09-2007, 11:19 PM
very few people are going to watch a 1/2 hour commercial. even less so in Iowa and NH where people are so knowledgeable and also overloaded with political ads.

Meet the Press would be a very big help.

Luther
12-09-2007, 11:23 PM
I agree with this. Ron Paul's candidacy is too complex, too profound to be communicated to uninformed citizens in thirty or sixty second radio or television ads.

If the official campaign won't get working on this, some of his talented supporters should. A thirty minute video outlining Ron Paul's positions on the most important issues, supported by clips of him speaking, would be very effective.

coboman
12-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Look, I think that the only guys that can pull this off is Trevor and his for profit company.

I contacted Jeremiah Black (the guy from the models ads) and he is working on a script for the infomercial.
I also contacted llepard and he is willing to fund a well organized effort.

Trevor Lyman's company could make an "educational video", ask for money on the spot, and use the donations to buy more airtime.
With an initial donation, a good infomercial should be able to pay its airtime on its own.

dircha
12-09-2007, 11:32 PM
As I stated in this thread (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=42534), money is really not an issue because an infomercial could have a call to action, urging viewers to donate NOW! and therefore, paying for itself.

We, as individuals, cannot do this. It is illegal for a PAC to ask for money.

Only the official campaign can use this strategy.

What do you mean that it is illegal for a PAC to solicit contributions? I don't see this in the FEC guidelines. A nonconnected PAC can solicit contributions from anyone.

And I don't even know what to say about the linked article. Ross Perot's infomercials "worked"? By what definition of worked? He received only 19% of the vote despite spending more than any other candidate. If anything this shows that, as I stated, and as the Romney campaign has concurred, nationwide advertising is not cost-effective.

dircha
12-09-2007, 11:37 PM
I agree with this. Ron Paul's candidacy is too complex, too profound to be communicated to uninformed citizens in thirty or sixty second radio or television ads.

If the official campaign won't get working on this, some of his talented supporters should. A thirty minute video outlining Ron Paul's positions on the most important issues, supported by clips of him speaking, would be very effective.

This is why other campaigns employ media analysts, pollsters, debate coaches, and speech writers. I don't know whether or to what extent Ron Paul makes use of these resources, but that is how you communicate your message in condensed sound bites.

It's not ideal, but that's how it works in the real world of politics.

ReallyNow
12-09-2007, 11:39 PM
Some Ron Paul campaign expenditures of note: :D

Subway #2479 4.06
Subway #4480 8.25
Subway #4768 8.01
Sunoco #7544 27.87
Sunoco #7659 38.68
Supermart Conoco 32.00

This is wrong in so many ways but it had me giggling like a schoolgirl. Well played, sir!:D

Lucid American
12-11-2007, 09:55 PM
This doesn't need to be called an "infomercial" or "commercial" -- it would be a special event: "RON PAUL R3VOLUTION".

LibertyEagle
12-11-2007, 10:17 PM

What are you doing, Max? Trying to cause an insurrection or something? :(