PDA

View Full Version : Gary Johnson: I can't start wars with places if I can't find them on a map

RonPaulFanInGA
10-05-2016, 03:57 AM
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/gary-johnson-geography-map-wars-229105

euphemia
10-05-2016, 05:54 AM
That's not even funny.

presence
10-05-2016, 07:10 AM
“Five days after the interview, Andrea, I still can’t think of a world leader that I respect,” Johnson said

I can respect that.

euphemia
10-05-2016, 08:35 AM
I can't. It shows that he is not a thoughtful, principled man. He should have at least thought about it. Johnson supporters are buying this nonsense hook, line, and sinker. They have a dolt of a nominee, and they just eat it up.

juleswin
10-05-2016, 08:39 AM
I can't. It shows that he is not a thoughtful, principled man. He should have at least thought about it. Johnson supporters are buying this nonsense hook, line, and sinker. They have a dolt of a nominee, and they just eat it up.

What? how does that make him not principled? That is a example of a principle. Maybe you disagree with it, but it is a guiding principle saying that he would not fight wars in a place that he cannot locate on the map. One way of looking at it is this, if a place on the map is so inconsequential that he doesn't even know where it is on the map, it is not worth the financial and human cost starting a war there.

I think you are the one not thinking this through.

euphemia
10-05-2016, 08:43 AM
If Johnson is not going to bother to do a little bit of homework on the people and places that figure heavily in American foreign affairs, then shame on him.

nikcers
10-05-2016, 08:48 AM
If Johnson is not going to bother to do a little bit of homework on the people and places that figure heavily in American foreign affairs, then shame on him.

What homework, should Gary Johnson go on a crusade to argue against the mainstream media narrative that they are pushing on Allepo, or should he study what ignorant people think about Alleppo so he can answer what he thinks they want to hear? When most people don't know the truth about whats going on. Please tell me where Gary Johnson is ignorant and be specific,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8mA0h7dCKI

fisharmor
10-05-2016, 08:53 AM
Look, none of this matters.
The material issue here is that the only reason Johnson got the nomination is because of this idea that he's more palatable to the average voter, better at playing politics, than the alternatives were.

The biggest part of playing politics is not looking like a moron in the media.
It doesn't matter whether he actually is a moron. It only matters what he looks like.

He's flunking that test, HARD.

Ergo, by the criteria we are being asked to judge him by, he is not the correct nominee.

Brian4Liberty
10-05-2016, 08:56 AM
I get Johnson's point, but in light of his foreign knowledge stumbles, he's coming off as ignorant and naive.

And I'd add that smearing Johnson is the intent of the media. They are baiting him into these conversations so they can spin it this way.

nikcers
10-05-2016, 08:59 AM
The material issue here is that the only reason Johnson got the nomination is because of this idea that he's more palatable to the average voter, better at playing politics, than the alternatives were.

He got the nomination because Mcafee and Peterson have never held office, Johnson was a Governor. The media could make Stephen Hawking seem stupid to the average voter. You are supposed to be better then that.

Ender
10-05-2016, 09:05 AM
What? how does that make him not principled? That is a example of a principle. Maybe you disagree with it, but it is a guiding principle saying that he would not fight wars in a place that he cannot locate on the map. One way of looking at it is this, if a place on the map is so inconsequential that he doesn't even know where it is on the map, it is not worth the financial and human cost starting a war there.

I think you are the one not thinking this through.

Agree!

It's crazy how Trump can blabber continually about himself, change the subject because he doesn't know anything, and people think he's "smart". But Johnson's "unprincipled because he dares to say: "I don't know." I'm sure Trump can't find anything on a map either.

nikcers
10-05-2016, 09:19 AM
Agree!

It's crazy how Trump can blabber continually about himself, change the subject because he doesn't know anything, and people think he's "smart". But Johnson's "unprincipled because he dares to say: "I don't know." I'm sure Trump can't find anything on a map either.
I hate Trumps doublethink makes me unable to vote for him. Trump still thinks that stuff like torture and stop and frisk work even though we know they don't. Gary Johnson was a handy man and built it into a multi million dollar corporation, he's climbed the highest mountains and fixed toilets as a handy man he was a governor, jack of all trades kind of guy. I trust he could study up on anything better then anyone else running.

jllundqu
10-05-2016, 09:23 AM
Agree!

^THIS

Trump doesn't know and doesn't care about Aleppo... he couldn't find Baghdad on a map.... he couldn't name any foreign leaders he respects (except Putin)....

If it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander.

juleswin
10-05-2016, 09:31 AM
Agree!

Its not just that he doesn't know, he is saying that he knows that he would not start a war in places where he cannot find on a map. Something I do not have a problem with

Also, I read an article yesterday where they were saying that Gary Johnson still cannot name a world leader he admires. The article had Johnson saying essentially that there are no world leader he admires. But the author could not imagine that it is possible that there are no world leader he admires, instead concludes that he still cannot name a world leader.

The media which most people on this forum are supposed to despise, paints a bad picture of him as an ignorant person and some of us eat it up. Still waiting for euphemia to tell me how Johnson lacks principles. Sometimes that weirdly never comes up when Trump is the issue.

fisharmor
10-05-2016, 09:48 AM
He got the nomination because Mcafee and Peterson have never held office, Johnson was a Governor. The media could make Stephen Hawking seem stupid to the average voter. You are supposed to be better then that.

And what does being a governor have to do with anything?
The underlying principle there is that if one was a governor, then one is better at playing politics and more palatable to the average voter.

The media wouldn't have to make Stephen Hawking look stupid. He would BE stupid - in exactly the same way Bill Nye is - because he would be outside his element when talking about politics.
Bill Nye only gets a pass for saying the things the media loves. He sticks to the narrative.

Anyone outside the narrative who chooses to play politics, has a responsibility to figure out how to play this game and win at it.
As you say, Johnson was a governor and cannot have been ignorant of this.
As I said, this is the entire reason he got the nod - he was billed as someone who could play this game.

Excuses are not success. Excuses are just excuses. And failure remains failure, no matter how many excuses get heaped on it.

kahless
10-05-2016, 10:26 AM
The LP was only supposed to get a few percent here and there. So he and his handlers have decided GJ needs to take a dive to get the numbers back to where they normally are each cycle.

10-05-2016, 10:31 AM

Hardly. Nobody is putting him on a pedestal and claiming he is a perfect candidate. He's made mistakes, sure. He's honest at least and has admitted the same. But he's out there trying. He has mostly good positions on the important issues. He's what we've got for now. Compared to Clinton and Trump he is fantastic.

Sure there is the mom's basement dweller wing of the LP and the Clinton and Trump trolls looking for some obscure issue or quote to knock Johnson on, but whatever.

Nobody thinks he is going to win, but if by some miracle he did, he would be perfectly acceptable as potus.

dean.engelhardt
10-05-2016, 11:01 AM
The underlying principle there is that if one was a governor, then one is better at playing politics and more palatable to the average voter.

The media wouldn't have to make Stephen Hawking look stupid. He would BE stupid - in exactly the same way Bill Nye is - because he would be outside his element when talking about politics.
Bill Nye only gets a pass for saying the things the media loves. He sticks to the narrative.

Anyone outside the narrative who chooses to play politics, has a responsibility to figure out how to play this game and win at it.
As you say, Johnson was a governor and cannot have been ignorant of this.
As I said, this is the entire reason he got the nod - he was billed as someone who could play this game.

Excuses are not success. Excuses are just excuses. And failure remains failure, no matter how many excuses get heaped on it.

Some people vote for the person that runs the better campaign. Other people vote for the person that would do the job the best.

nikcers
10-05-2016, 11:43 AM

The media wouldn't have to make Stephen Hawking look stupid. He would BE stupid -

Hey man, the fact is some people see being a Governor as a stepping stone to president. Some people think that only governors have the job experience, just because you don't see it that way you can't be obtuse and pretend like that doesn't effect how other people see it. The same with my Stephen Hawking analogy, what I was saying is the media controls EVERYTHING that gets put on the air. So of course they could make someone with an IQ of 200 look stupid, they could fake an attack on our country and get away with it.

dannno
10-05-2016, 12:29 PM

I would rather have a cat from one of CPUd's avatars as President than any of the jokers running.. Gary Johnson happens to be the closest thing to that.

CPUd
10-05-2016, 12:34 PM
https://i.imgur.com/dNDOTFY.png

RIP Socks 1989-2009

misterx
10-05-2016, 02:18 PM
I get Johnson's point, but in light of his foreign knowledge stumbles, he's coming off as ignorant and naive.

And I'd add that smearing Johnson is the intent of the media. They are baiting him into these conversations so they can spin it this way.

It seems to be working. Since this started, Hillary's poll numbers have gone up in direct proportion to Johnson's numbers going down.

Natural Citizen
10-05-2016, 02:32 PM
Well at least the Generals still know where to go for war. Heh. There won't be any of those pesky disagreements between the White House and the Pentagon so long a the President isn't smart enough to know where the war is in order to question it. Generals can proly just go about their wars without any input that way.

kahless
10-05-2016, 02:33 PM
Once a week from now to election day there is going to be something like this. Maybe a new poll or thread should be created with a list of possibly campaign destroying statements GJ will make from now to election day.

specsaregood
10-05-2016, 02:43 PM

The biggest part of playing politics is not looking like a moron in the media.
It doesn't matter whether he actually is a moron. It only matters what he looks like.

He's flunking that test, HARD.

Ergo, by the criteria we are being asked to judge him by, he is not the correct nominee.

I get not liking Trump and not liking Hillary. What I can't really see is why anybody would actually like this douchenozzle:
http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx84/specsaregood/garyjohnson_zpsb3e8koor.jpg

fisharmor
10-05-2016, 02:57 PM
Some people vote for the person that runs the better campaign. Other people vote for the person that would do the job the best.

And some others still pay attention to the nominating process and are well aware that "the person that would do the job the best" was decidedly not the criterion the LP used to choose a candidate.

They chose someone who could potentially be "the person that runs the better campaign". That was the whole point of choosing Johnson.
And as I already pointed out, focus on "the person that runs the better campaign" is the reason none of us are supporting any Republicans. Not even Rand.

When everyone else catches up and recognizes that "the person that runs the better campaign" is unadulterated bullshit, and when we can get BACK to "the person that would do the job best", then we'll be somewhere.

Right now, we're not.

erowe1
10-05-2016, 03:01 PM
The sad thing is, I've actually seen "conservatives" saying that this is a reason not to support Johnson.

farreri
10-05-2016, 04:33 PM
Maybe a new poll or thread should be created with a list of possibly campaign destroying statements GJ will make from now to election day.
I haven't seen him make one campaign destroying comment. Some will think I'm being biased. I like to think I'm being rational.

Brian4Liberty
10-05-2016, 05:00 PM
It seems to be working. Since this started, Hillary's poll numbers have gone up in direct proportion to Johnson's numbers going down.

Yep. Once they found that Johnson was taking some Hillary voters, it was time to destroy Johnson.

erowe1
10-05-2016, 05:07 PM
I can't. It shows that he is not a thoughtful, principled man.

What specifically shows that he's not thoughtful and principled? The fact that he can't think of a foreign leader he looks up to?

Ender
10-05-2016, 05:22 PM
What specifically shows that he's not thoughtful and principled? The fact that he can't think of a foreign leader he looks up to?

Or some poor ME country he wants to bomb?

kahless
10-05-2016, 07:16 PM
I haven't seen him make one campaign destroying comment. Some will think I'm being biased. I like to think I'm being rational.

LOL.

nikcers
10-05-2016, 07:30 PM
LOL.

Why can't Gary Johnson to be your second choice. I don't see what the big deal is, Kahless. You forgave Trump after he made so many campaign ending comments. Plus polls have shown that higher support for Gary Johnson would help Hillary Lose, you want Hillary to lose right?

erowe1
10-05-2016, 08:00 PM
Why can't Gary Johnson to be your second choice.

For the same reason that Ron Paul would not be her second choice. She wants the federal government to be more meddlesome, not less.

You forgave Trump after he made so many campaign ending comments.

She didn't forgive him for those comments. Those comments are a big part of why she likes him.

specsaregood
10-05-2016, 08:05 PM

A smart person I think would have taken the time after the interview to find at least one foreign leader and found at least one characteristic of them that is worth acknowledging. It's not that hard to find one thing you can admire about people you general don't look up to and say, "I admire how Y, did X." that would be the way to go. I'd see RP handling it that way.

kahless
10-05-2016, 10:58 PM
For the same reason Gary Johnson supporters would not want Ron Paul as their second choice. They want the federal government to be more meddlesome, not less. If they really insisted on voting true to their beliefs regardless of the strategic consequences then they would write-in Ron Paul or vote for Castle.

Kahless does not forgive Trump for anti-liberty comments, nor buys into to the false racism media accusations against Trump. Kahless is voting for Trump to slow the advance of globalism and secure supreme court nominations so liberty folks can't fight in the future for another day.

Fixed that for you.

kahless
10-05-2016, 11:00 PM
Why can't Gary Johnson to be your second choice. I don't see what the big deal is, Kahless. You forgave Trump after he made so many campaign ending comments. Plus polls have shown that higher support for Gary Johnson would help Hillary Lose, you want Hillary to lose right?

Never. It would be almost as bad as voting for Hillary. Effectively down the road that would be the outcome. If I really had to pick a second choice it would probably be Castle or write-in.

erowe1
10-05-2016, 11:20 PM
Never. It would be almost as bad as voting for Hillary.

So you have Trump who is every bit as bad as Hillary, and then you have Johnson who is just almost as bad.

I can go with that.

Feeding the Abscess
10-06-2016, 12:00 AM

A dolt, a sociopath, and a psychopath walk into a bar...