Patrick Henry was the real deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHo-3LEcgQE

AZJoe
09-25-2016, 10:48 AM
Great speech.

AZJoe
09-25-2016, 10:49 AM
Patrick Henry Quotes:

They tell us, sir, that we are weak; unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be next week, or the next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed, and when a British guard shall be stationed in every house? Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies have bound us hand and foot? We are not weak if we make a proper use of the means which the God of nature has placed in our power. Three millions of people armed in the holy cause of Liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible. Besides, we shall not fight our battles alone. There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations; and who will raise up friends to fight our battles for us. The battle is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave. Many cry “Peace, Peace”—but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! … Why stand here idle? Is life so dear or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery. Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; But as for me, give me Liberty or give me death!

If this be treason, then make the most of it!

Let Mr. Madison tell me when did liberty ever exist when the sword and the purse were given up from the people? Unless a miracle shall interpose, no nation ever did, nor ever can retain its liberty after the loss of the sword and the purse.

You are not to inquire how your trade may be increased, nor how you are to become a great and powerful people, but how your liberties can be secured; for liberty ought to be the direct end of your government.

Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our own direction, and having them under the management of Congress. If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?

Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... The militia Sir is our ultimate safety. We can have no security without it. … The great object is that every man be armed.... Every one who is able may have a gun.