PDA

View Full Version : The Truth About War

Brian4Liberty
09-14-2016, 01:54 PM
The Truth About War (https://www.lewrockwell.com/2016/09/lew-rockwell/truth-war-state/)
By Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr. - September 12, 2016

This talk was delivered at the Peace and Prosperity 2016 Conference of the Ron Paul Institute.

Not long ago I was thinking about the legacy of Murray N. Rothbard, the brilliant scholar and the creator of the libertarian movement, as well as a dear friend to both Ron and me. Would that movement have come into existence without Murray? I don’t think so. And whatever might have developed in its place would undoubtedly have been less pro-peace, and more willing to reach an accord with the warfare state, than Murray ever was.

“I am getting more and more convinced,” he wrote privately in 1956, “that the war-peace question is the key to the whole libertarian business.”

Murray refused to stop talking about war and peace even when, by the late 1960s, his antiwar views had alienated him completely from the mainstream right wing and had left him with a vastly smaller audience. It reminds me of how Ron himself, despite all the conservatives who pleaded with him to leave foreign policy out of his speeches in order to win more support and influence, refused to do so. The issue was too important – morally, economically, and in every other way – and these men were too principled.

Of course, Murray was right: the influence and consequences of war are so pervasive and far-reaching that we cannot think of it as just another issue, next to sugar quotas. War and militarism warp and deform whatever they touch. For today I’ve chosen six ways, out of what is surely a much larger number of potential examples.

First and foremost, war deforms us morally. It does so because the state itself first warps our moral sense. We’ve imbibed the idea that the state may legitimately do things that would be considered unspeakable enormities if carried out by private individuals. If I have a grievance, even a legitimate one, against someone else, no one would make excuses for me if I launched an attack on that person’s entire neighborhood, and I would be thought deranged if I dismissed any deaths I caused as mere “collateral damage.”
On the other hand, if we think of the state as a parasitic and self-interested institution that survives by siphoning resources from the productive citizenry, and which bamboozles the public with a now-familiar battery of arguments as to why it is indispensable to our well-being, we can look at war realistically, without all the superstitions and the patriotic songs.
War and the preparation for war deform the economy. Now this one will come as a surprise to some people since virtually everyone has heard at one time or another that war can stimulate economies. It’s true that war can stimulate parts of economies; as Ludwig von Mises pointed out, it stimulates, as does a plague, the funeral industry.
There need not be a hot war raging for militarism to deform an economy. As Tom Woods reminds us, when half or more of your research and development talent is diverted into military purposes, that means so much less devoted to civilian needs. When the Pentagon becomes your major customer, you lose the competitive edge to which market discipline gives rise. Since cost is not the Pentagon’s major concern, the cost-minimizing firm tends to become the cost- and subsidy-maximizing firm.
And meanwhile, despite all the fairy tales about a decimated military, US military expenditures today roughly equate to those of all other countries on earth put together.

War and war propaganda deform our views of other peoples. World War I may have been the classic example of this: the Germans were the Huns, uniquely prone to carry out the most heinous atrocities. That portrayal made it all the easier to persuade citizens of the Allied countries to support, or at least acquiesce in, four years of war against them. And then a long starvation campaign against already impoverished and sick civilians to force the government to sign an unjust treaty.
In short, war is inseparable from propaganda, lies, hatred, impoverishment, cultural degradation, and moral corruption. It is the most horrific outcome of the moral and political legitimacy people are taught to grant the state. Wrapped in the trappings of patriotism, home, songs, and flags, the state deludes people into despising a leader and a country that until that point they had barely even heard of, much less had an informed opinion about, and it teaches its subjects to cheer the maiming and death of fellow human beings who have never done them any harm.
Things are much easier for us today, thanks in large part to Murray’s commitment and Ron Paul’s extraordinary example. There are now millions of people who are resolutely antiwar, and who don’t care which political party the president launching any particular war happens to belong to.

On top of that, it’s encouraging to know that younger people are much less convinced of the need for an interventionist foreign policy. The younger the audience, the less the warmongers’ fact-free exhortations fall on receptive ears. That’s why the Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity is poised to do so much good for this country and for the world in the years to come. There’s nothing else like it, and yet it articulates the inchoate views of millions of Americans who search politics and the media in vain for a consistent voice for peace.

This in my view is Ron Paul’s greatest legacy. It’s up to all of us to help carry it forward.
More: http://www.lewrockwell.com/2016/09/lew-rockwell/truth-war-state/

jllundqu
09-14-2016, 03:29 PM
The Truth About War (https://www.lewrockwell.com/2016/09/lew-rockwell/truth-war-state/)
By Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr. - September 12, 2016

Trump's Updated ISIS Plan: "Bomb The Shit Out Of Them," Send In Exxon To Rebuild

DONALD TRUMP: I said I don't want to really tell you, but I realized I had to because I'm getting killed by these people [in the media] who say "Trump doesn't have a plan for ISIS!"

I said no, I have a plan but I don't want to tell ISIS what it is, because I'm going to win...

People are thinking like I don't have a plan, I hate doing it. So I was on one of the shows, and I said:

ISIS is making a tremendous amount of money because of the oil that they took away, they have some in Syria, they have some in Iraq, I would bomb the shit out of them.

I would just bomb those suckers, and that's right, I'd blow up the pipes, I'd blow up the refineries, I'd blow up ever single inch, there would be nothing left.

And you know what, you'll get Exxon to come in there, and in two months, you ever see these guys? How good they are, the great oil companies, they'll rebuild it brand new... And I'll take the oil.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2015/11/13/trumps_updated_isis_plan_bomb_the_shit_out_of_them _send_exxon_in_to_rebuild.html

AZJoe
10-09-2016, 09:27 AM
First and foremost, war deforms us morally. It does so because the state itself first warps our moral sense. We’ve imbibed the idea that the state may legitimately do things that would be considered unspeakable enormities if carried out by private individuals. If I have a grievance, even a legitimate one, against someone else, no one would make excuses for me if I launched an attack on that person’s entire neighborhood, and I would be thought deranged if I dismissed any deaths I caused as mere “collateral damage.”

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14495484_605124273000342_980884683334120961_n.jpg? oh=a88c79151ea77d26d661c864a6bf3e78&oe=58629DA9

tod evans
10-09-2016, 09:42 AM
^^^^^^^I have a real fear that that'll be some of us in this country before it's all over. ^^^^^^^^^:eek:

Danke
10-09-2016, 09:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKnF1HEUwuo

otherone
10-11-2016, 03:05 PM
nothing will change until the individual has more value than the collective.

http://img.picturequotes.com/2/13/12502/if-any-civilization-is-to-survive-it-is-the-morality-of-altruism-that-men-have-to-reject-quote-1.jpg