View Full Version : Texas Mattress Store's shameful ad

enhanced_deficit
09-10-2016, 09:13 AM
http://www.cnet.com/news/mattress-stores-911-ad-appalls-the-web/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCjYoBLXjF0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCjYoBLXjF0

LibertyEagle
09-10-2016, 09:30 AM
I am curious to know if the gentlemen in the back are Muslims.

The One
09-10-2016, 09:30 AM
I'm speechless...I am without speech.

libertyjam
09-10-2016, 09:32 AM
So, what's the problem?

enhanced_deficit
09-10-2016, 09:49 AM
I am curious to know if the gentlemen in the back are Muslims.

Their religion/race/political affiliations etc not mentioned in the cnet news story but San Antonio, Texas is the home of famous CUFI (Christians United for Israel) and its leader John Hagee had called 9/11 "God's Judgment". (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4pk941MdIE)
Incidentally, gentlewoman on the front is the store manager.

MelissaWV
09-10-2016, 10:45 AM
So, what's the problem?

Taking everything at face value (ie - not deviating from the official story), 9/11 should be a somber anniversary. By creating "Patriot Day," the Government should have seen this coming. There are cringeworthy ads, displays, and sales all over the place. Of course, this isn't really any worse than the countless Memorial Day or Veteran's Day or Mother's Day (look at the origin of that holiday) or whatever other day sales that are out there. Hell, some stores have sales on or around April 15th revolving around taxes. So something that happened less than a generation ago and snuffed out thousands of lives, is now a reason to stack up boxes of soda or have weird commercials like the one in the OP.

Of course, like usual, people have focused on one or two examples to get offended... but the overall concept doesn't seem to faze them.

https://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/img/IDTUdgv7y6uuS2UT3s3_5zNCnyQ=/fit-in/570x0/2016/09/08/c4f4479a-a5d5-4244-99ec-65cb58c2837d/shawn.jpg

juleswin
09-10-2016, 10:53 AM
So not politically correct. I wonder if they would benefit from all the publicity or is this one of those rare times where publicity is bad for business.

Danke
09-10-2016, 10:58 AM
So, what's the problem?

Really, people...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9QN3AkydYY

MelissaWV
09-10-2016, 11:02 AM
So not politically correct. I wonder if they would benefit from all the publicity or is this one of those rare times where publicity is bad for business.

Probably bad. People are going to focus on the fact they look a little brown, too, which means it's all sorts of negative to them. That, and this isn't an impulse purchase level item. If it's something cheap and even mildly interesting, it could achieve a bit of a cult following and drive up traffic, but I don't think people buy mattresses on the basis of something like this.

MelissaWV
09-10-2016, 11:05 AM
I am disappointed, btw. I would have thought someone would have pointed out that, in the photo I posted, there's a green "building" off to the side of the Twin Towers. Isn't this obviously Building 7?

TheTexan
09-10-2016, 12:04 PM
So, what's the problem?

It's really not something to joke about... many Officers died that day

oyarde
09-10-2016, 12:05 PM
Probably bad. People are going to focus on the fact they look a little brown, too, which means it's all sorts of negative to them. That, and this isn't an impulse purchase level item. If it's something cheap and even mildly interesting, it could achieve a bit of a cult following and drive up traffic, but I don't think people buy mattresses on the basis of something like this.

I am not going to buy a mattress unless I really need it . Then I am going to buy it from someone who did not blow a bunch of FRN's on advertising driving up the cost of an item that should not be expensive .

angelatc
09-10-2016, 12:12 PM
I am not going to buy a mattress unless I really need it . Then I am going to buy it from someone who did not blow a bunch of FRN's on advertising driving up the cost of an item that should not be expensive .

Advertising is a necessary evil. I hate spending money on it, but if the expense didn't justify the returns, businesses would not do it.

RonPaulIsGreat
09-10-2016, 12:17 PM
Wow, sure the whale and her goons have the right to make fun of people burned alive/suffocated/driven to jump to their death, however, most people don't think senseless death is funny. I wouldn't shop there, that's for sure.

Natural Citizen
09-10-2016, 12:59 PM
Mother's Day (look at the origin of that holiday)...

I tried looking into it. Except my attention span was about 2 minutes trying to find something. Can you pass a brotha a link?

Suzanimal
09-10-2016, 01:22 PM
I tried looking into it. Except my attention span was about 2 minutes trying to find something. Can you pass a brotha a link?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother%27s_Day

Natural Citizen
09-10-2016, 01:25 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother%27s_Day

Yeah, I saw that wiki page. I was thinking it was maybe some kind of ancient witchcraft stuff and whatnot she was talkign about.

Ah well. Not important. Thanks, anyway, Suz.

oyarde
09-10-2016, 01:39 PM
Advertising is a necessary evil. I hate spending money on it, but if the expense didn't justify the returns, businesses would not do it.

I agree but I think some products are different than others . My funeral home does not advertise , LOL

MelissaWV
09-10-2016, 05:27 PM
Yeah, I saw that wiki page. I was thinking it was maybe some kind of ancient witchcraft stuff and whatnot she was talkign about.

Ah well. Not important. Thanks, anyway, Suz.

Her campaign to make "Mother's Day" a recognized holiday in the United States began in 1905, the year her mother, Ann Reeves Jarvis, died. Ann Jarvis had been a peace activist who cared for wounded soldiers on both sides of the American Civil War, and created Mother’s Day Work Clubs to address public health issues.

And now we send each other guilty conscience cards, make phone calls, buy overpriced flowers, and so on.

Although Jarvis was successful in founding Mother's Day, she became resentful of the commercialization of the holiday. By the early 1920s, Hallmark Cards and other companies had started selling Mother's Day cards. Jarvis believed that the companies had misinterpreted and exploited the idea of Mother's Day, and that the emphasis of the holiday was on sentiment, not profit. As a result, she organized boycotts of Mother's Day, and threatened to issue lawsuits against the companies involved.[10] Jarvis argued that people should appreciate and honor their mothers through handwritten letters expressing their love and gratitude, instead of buying gifts and pre-made cards

My point was that holidays have a stated purpose, but how they are celebrated is generally at odds with that stated purpose.

Suzanimal
09-10-2016, 05:28 PM
I agree but I think some products are different than others . My funeral home does not advertise , LOL

The funeral home that handled my dad keeps sending my mom brochures.:eek:

Zippyjuan
09-10-2016, 09:04 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/09/09/this-mattress-store-ad-spoofed-911-to-promote-a-twin-towers-sale-it-did-not-go-well/?utm_term=.91608f621c42

Hours later, the video was pulled from the Miracle Mattress Facebook page.

In that same space, Mike Bonanno, the company owner, posted an apology letter.

“I say this unequivocally, with sincere regret: the video is tasteless and an affront to the men and women who lost their lives on 9/11,” Bonanno wrote Thursday. “Furthermore, it disrespects the families who lost their loved ones and continue to struggle with the pain of this tragedy every day of their lives. All I can say is I am deeply sorry and on behalf of the entire Miracle Mattress family, I accept responsibility for this thoughtless and crude advertisement and will immediately hold my employees accountable for this serious lapse of decency.”

On Friday afternoon, those who told the business they should shut down got their wish. The mattress store put out a statement saying it would be “closed indefinitely.”

“We will be silent through the 9/11 Anniversary to avoid any further distractions from a day of recognition and remembrance for the victims and their families,” the statement said. “We take full responsibility for our actions and sincerely regret the hurt and pain caused by this disrespectful advertising campaign.”

The company also said it would deliver a public statement next week highlighting “accountability actions taken within the company.”

Samantha Najera, a spokeswoman for Miracle Mattress, confirmed that the woman in the commercial is the daughter of company owner Mike Bonanno. Najera also cautioned others to avoid fake social media accounts that have sprung up pretending to speak on behalf of the mattress store.

enhanced_deficit
09-10-2016, 10:55 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/09/09/this-mattress-store-ad-spoofed-911-to-promote-a-twin-towers-sale-it-did-not-go-well/?utm_term=.91608f621c42
Hours later, the video was pulled from the Miracle Mattress Facebook page.

They still have these genuises photos, rap videos etc on their FB page, perhaps those should be pulled also.

https://www.facebook.com/miraclemattress210/photos?ref=page_internal

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/14054451_1730343683894050_6067170007986912900_o.jp g

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/12144706_1617110068550746_8296715958464403240_n.jp g?oh=e7464b38bb56b31195e45adfeacba2bf&oe=58494E68

Another link on their FB page is about a "Caption This" contest they held after posting a photo of Trump ... apparently to make fun of him:

Miracle Mattress

Like This Page · January 28 near San Antonio, TX ·

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/12647543_1647245325537220_5580090880178084707_n.jp g?oh=1d206ea2e045c14ee70ff453816ea984&oe=5838E628

Best Caption gets a free pillow! GO!
No purchase necessary!!!

#donaldtrump #gop #miraclemattress #freebies

Zippyjuan
09-11-2016, 01:37 AM
noted in my link:

Najera also cautioned others to avoid fake social media accounts that have sprung up pretending to speak on behalf of the mattress store.

Though I don't see those pictures at the link.

ThePaleoLibertarian
09-11-2016, 02:16 AM
Regardless of what anyone thinks of 9/11, the perpetrators or the aftermath, this is just a terrible idea for an advertisement. I don't think I've ever seen a worse one. What were they thinking? How did they think this would be taken? On what planet would this have gone over well?

luctor-et-emergo
09-11-2016, 02:27 AM
Regardless of what anyone thinks of 9/11, the perpetrators or the aftermath, this is just a terrible idea for an advertisement. I don't think I've ever seen a worse one. What were they thinking? How did they think this would be taken? On what planet would this have gone over well?

Why is it bad marketing ? Everybody is talking about it. Sounds to me like brilliant marketing.

ThePaleoLibertarian
09-11-2016, 02:49 AM
Why is it bad marketing ? Everybody is talking about it. Sounds to me like brilliant marketing.
The question is how is it being discussed in the marketplace. Will this get people to come and spend money at the store? Considering they're now closed indefinitely, the answer seems clear.

There's an old adage: "There's no such thing as bad publicity". This is a total myth. There is such a thing as good bad publicity, meaning publicity that is meant to bad by those producing it, but is taken quite differently by the public or creates enough controversy that helps bring in money. A good example of that would be the protests that various groups waged against a number of bands and music artists in previous decades.

Then there's just plain bad publicity. Mel Gibson's leaked phone conversations with his girlfriend is an example of publicity that is just bad, without any redeeming qualities. It was in the news more than anything he had done in recent years before that, but it also effectively ended his career.

This ad campaign is an example of the latter. Maybe this business recovers, but it certainly isn't helping them.

luctor-et-emergo
09-11-2016, 03:41 AM
The question is how is it being discussed in the marketplace. Will this get people to come and spend money at the store? Considering they're now closed indefinitely, the answer seems clear.

There's an old adage: "There's no such thing as bad publicity". This is a total myth. There is such a thing as good bad publicity, meaning publicity that is meant to bad by those producing it, but is taken quite differently by the public or creates enough controversy that helps bring in money. A good example of that would be the protests that various groups waged against a number of bands and music artists in previous decades.

Then there's just plain bad publicity. Mel Gibson's leaked phone conversations with his girlfriend is an example of publicity that is just bad, without any redeeming qualities. It was in the news more than anything he had done in recent years before that, but it also effectively ended his career.

This ad campaign is an example of the latter. Maybe this business recovers, but it certainly isn't helping them.

If their business suffers because of this, it's because of bad acting. Not because it's controversial and has gone viral. Not because it offends certain people... Although, of course, I have to keep in mind that this is 'merica.

Petar
09-11-2016, 04:41 AM
Taking everything at face value (ie - not deviating from the official story), 9/11 should be a somber anniversary. By creating "Patriot Day," the Government should have seen this coming. There are cringeworthy ads, displays, and sales all over the place. Of course, this isn't really any worse than the countless Memorial Day or Veteran's Day or Mother's Day (look at the origin of that holiday) or whatever other day sales that are out there. Hell, some stores have sales on or around April 15th revolving around taxes. So something that happened less than a generation ago and snuffed out thousands of lives, is now a reason to stack up boxes of soda or have weird commercials like the one in the OP.

Of course, like usual, people have focused on one or two examples to get offended... but the overall concept doesn't seem to faze them.

Why should the "overall concept" faze anyone?

Not everybody is looking for some abstract "reason" to consider themselves to be more intelligent than the average person.

This "ad" is completely outside of the norm and utterly grotesque.

Common sense > elitist pontification.

People are going to ask the intelligent question of whether or not the grotesque behaviour of these "a little brown" (and therefor possibly Arab individuals) has something to do with the possibility of them being members of the same religion that all Islamic terrorists belong to.

You, on the other hand, are going to pretend that that is an irrelevant question, while you insinuate some kind of "sad racist state of the average person" - again "proving" how much better you are than everyone else.

Lame.

Suzanimal
09-11-2016, 05:00 AM

Cringe worthy. I agree.

tod evans
09-11-2016, 05:02 AM
I don't give even 1/2 a fuck......

People who watch adds are idiots.

ThePaleoLibertarian
09-11-2016, 05:21 AM
The conspiratards seem to be the only ones benefitting from this ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL4pprefho4
It would be funny if he wasn't so obviously mentally ill.

otherone
09-11-2016, 05:31 AM
I don't give even 1/2 a $#@!......

People who watch adds are idiots.

yes...they subtracts from one's intelligence... ;)

MelissaWV
09-11-2016, 02:08 PM
Why should the "overall concept" faze anyone?

Not everybody is looking for some abstract "reason" to consider themselves to be more intelligent than the average person.

This "ad" is completely outside of the norm and utterly grotesque.

Common sense > elitist pontification.

People are going to ask the intelligent question of whether or not the grotesque behaviour of these "a little brown" (and therefor possibly Arab individuals) has something to do with the possibility of them being members of the same religion that all Islamic terrorists belong to.

You, on the other hand, are going to pretend that that is an irrelevant question, while you insinuate some kind of "sad racist state of the average person" - again "proving" how much better you are than everyone else.

Lame.

I'm not sure if you even know what you're on about.

The concept behind these holidays is allegedly about remembering those that died. The practice is to sell cars, mattresses, and other high-price items. It happens with a lot of patriotic/military type holidays. That really should faze people, and it should be common sense.

Someone asked if the ad was going to be a good or bad thing for the store, and I mentioned that the color and perceived race/religion of the people involved was going to help contribute to it being a negative. You took that as me saying it wasn't an intelligent question. Personally? I don't think it matters since the ad would still be an asshole move regardless of what color they were, or if the manager were thinner, or it was shot with a better camera. THAT is common sense to me, but it's also an answer to the same question you're stating I find unintelligent. "Lame" indeed.

Is there a deeper meaning here? You seem to be looking for it by trying to make a connection and assigning it as motivation.

By the way, when you quote someone, you should probably make sure they actually said what you're quoting. If I'm allegedly insinuating something, then it's not quotable; it's something you've read into my words.

Petar
09-11-2016, 02:48 PM
I'm not sure if you even know what you're on about.

The concept behind these holidays is allegedly about remembering those that died. The practice is to sell cars, mattresses, and other high-price items. It happens with a lot of patriotic/military type holidays. That really should faze people, and it should be common sense.

Someone asked if the ad was going to be a good or bad thing for the store, and I mentioned that the color and perceived race/religion of the people involved was going to help contribute to it being a negative. You took that as me saying it wasn't an intelligent question. Personally? I don't think it matters since the ad would still be an $#@! move regardless of what color they were, or if the manager were thinner, or it was shot with a better camera. THAT is common sense to me, but it's also an answer to the same question you're stating I find unintelligent. "Lame" indeed.

Is there a deeper meaning here? You seem to be looking for it by trying to make a connection and assigning it as motivation.

By the way, when you quote someone, you should probably make sure they actually said what you're quoting. If I'm allegedly insinuating something, then it's not quotable; it's something you've read into my words.

My point is that any sane person would recognize how outside of the norm and grotesque this specific ad was, instead of downplaying it completely - and blathering about how most people are just too dense to see "the greater issue surrounding the commercialization of holidays".

Most people are not too dense to see "the greater issue surrounding the commercialization of holidays" - it's just that you are too dense to see how outside of the norm and grotesque this specific ad was.

Even the family that made the ad had the DECENCY to see how horrible it was and to APOLOGIZE.

If they had followed your nonsensical way of "thinking", then they would have turned it into some elitist argument about how average people are just too stupid to see the "greater, abstract problem at hand".

Plus, you even tried to introduce some SJW BS about how "being a little bit brown" was going to make them victims or something.

Nobody "asked if their colour was going to be a negative" - LE just wanted to know if they were freaking Muslims or not.

It's always the same crap with you - your posts always seem to follow the same nonsensical, elitist template.

Start by having a valid theory if you really want to be smarter than everyone else all the time.

MelissaWV
09-11-2016, 02:54 PM
My point is that any sane person would recognize how outside of the norm and grotesque this specific ad was, instead of downplaying it completely - and blathering about how most people are just too dense to see "the greater issue surrounding the commercialization of holidays".

Most people are not too dense to see "the greater issue surrounding the commercialization of holidays" - it's just that you are too dense to see how outside of the norm and grotesque this specific ad was.

Even the family that made the ad had the DECENCY to see how horrible it was and to APOLOGIZE.

If they had followed your nonsensical way of "thinking", then they would have turned it into some elitist argument about how average people are just too stupid to see the "greater, abstract problem at hand".

Plus, you even tried to introduce some SJW BS about how "being a little bit brown" was going to make them victims or something.

Nobody "asked if their colour was going to be a negative" - LE just wanted to know if they were freaking Muslims or not.

It's always the same crap with you - your posts always seem to follow the same nonsensical, elitist template.

Start by having a valid theory if you really want to be smarter than everyone else all the time.

1. I didn't see LE's post or even respond to it.
2. I'm sorry I didn't restrict my post to "the ad was stupid and they're probably Muslims," which seems to be your only acceptable response.
3. You're equally ticked off about the soda stacks showing 9/11, right?
4. My point was that people are more pissed about this because it's fresh in their memory. There are other offensive ads related to other holidays that don't resonate this way. You reading into it being an elitist rant is 100% your own creation. Maybe figure out why you're projecting so much.
Plus, you even tried to introduce some SJW BS about how "being a little bit brown" was going to make them victims or something. No. I said *in response to someone asking if this ad would be a net negative for the business* that the fact they are brown would likely contribute to people being even more offended.

I'm glad for you that there's a sale on quotation marks or something, but you might want to quit using them to imply that I've said something specific that you can't even find and quote. Start by having a valid quote if you really want to be wittier than everyone else all the time.

MelissaWV
09-11-2016, 02:55 PM

Hi Peter! This person here is not LibertyEagle. Just an FYI there.

I await your apology... or... nah not really.

Petar
09-11-2016, 02:55 PM
2. I'm sorry I didn't restrict my post to "the ad was stupid and they're probably Muslims," which seems to be your only acceptable response.
4. My point was that people are more pissed about this because it's fresh in their memory. There are other offensive ads related to other holidays that don't resonate this way. You reading into it being an elitist rant is 100% your own creation. Maybe figure out why you're projecting so much.
5. No. I said *in response to someone asking if this ad would be a net negative for the business* that the fact they are brown would likely contribute to people being even more offended.

I'm glad for you that there's a sale on quotation marks or something, but you might want to quit using them to imply that I've said something specific that you can't even find and quote. Start by having a valid quote if you really want to be wittier than everyone else all the time.

"Paraphrasing".

phill4paul
09-11-2016, 02:56 PM
5. No. I said *in response to someone asking if this ad would be a net negative for the business* that the fact they are brown would likely contribute to people being even more offended.

FWIW, Petar is here just to waste your time. Don't seek the treasure.

Petar
09-11-2016, 02:57 PM

Small cognitive failure on my part.

Petar
09-11-2016, 02:57 PM
FWIW, Petar is here just to waste your time. Don't seek the treasure.

I thought that I was here to waste my own stupid time.

phill4paul
09-11-2016, 03:02 PM
I thought that I was here to waste my own stupid time.

Well, I suppose it is more entertaining than knitting.

juleswin
09-11-2016, 04:04 PM

I am confused cos I dont see the connect between my post and your response. I feel like this post was meant for someone else :)