PDA

View Full Version : Gary Johnson: "What is Aleppo?"

RonPaulFanInGA
09-08-2016, 06:22 AM
https://twitter.com/Morning_Joe/status/773851435477762048

@mikebarnicle: What would you do, if you were elected, about Aleppo?
@GovGaryJohnson: And what is Aleppo?

Gary Johnson just made a fool of himself on Morning Joe, and it's already the top trend on Twitter.

Edit, NBC article: http://www.nbcnews.com/card/gary-johnson-what-aleppo-n644731

undergroundrr
09-08-2016, 06:43 AM
Ouch. Could be his Glenn Beck/Debra Medina moment.

presence
09-08-2016, 06:45 AM
interviewer caught him out of context without introducing the topic. What is a lepo? wut?

Low Exercise Price Option ???

want a real gaffe?

ask clinton or trump what they think about von Mises

undergroundrr
09-08-2016, 06:52 AM
I haven't watched it. Did he actually give a cogent answer after clarification? Or did they just sit there and go "Dude, you don't know what Aleppo is? What a dolt."

This is perfect timing for a smear campaign. He could be right on the cusp of a breakthrough if he doesn't get hamstrung.

Jesse James
09-08-2016, 07:01 AM
I haven't watched it. Did he actually give a cogent answer after clarification? Or did they just sit there and go "Dude, you don't know what Aleppo is? What a dolt."

This is perfect timing for a smear campaign. He could be right on the cusp of a breakthrough if he doesn't get hamstrung.
they said "really?" and then explained it.. somewhat

specsaregood
09-08-2016, 07:09 AM
Did he actually give a cogent answer after clarification?

He gave some hippy love non answer, answer.

"OK, got it, got it," Johnson said, cutting him off. He added: "With regard to Syria I do think it's a mess. mess. I think that the only way that we deal with Syria is to join hands with Russia to diplomatically bring that at an end."

"It's just a mess," he said.

undergroundrr
09-08-2016, 07:18 AM
He gave some hippy love non answer, answer.

Not sure what that has to do with hippy love. What he didn't say is "send troops." It belies the idea that he's anxious to get into humanitarian wars.

RJ Liberty
09-08-2016, 07:29 AM
I'm not sure why it matters that he didn't know the name of a city in Syria. I didn't know the name, either, and I'm a geography buff.

CaptUSA
09-08-2016, 07:30 AM
interviewer caught him out of context without introducing the topic. What is a leppo? wut?

Yeah, a tube would be helpful. It could be as simple as a train of thought change and a miscommunication between interviewer and interviewee.

But I wouldn't be surprised either way. Johnson likes to use big thick crayons - every time he tries to use anything more detailed, he stumbles all over himself.

juleswin
09-08-2016, 07:32 AM
I'm not sure why it matters that he didn't know the name of a city in Syria. I didn't know the name, either, and I'm a geography buff.

This, its not like he didn't know what Syria is, its a freaking city in a country that we have no business interfering in. Anybody who thinks this is a deficiency is someone who has already made up his/her mind on not voting for him.

euphemia
09-08-2016, 07:32 AM
Was he sober during the interview?

Nils Dacke
09-08-2016, 07:37 AM

Maybe a transcript could be of use to the thread anyway if the link goes dead or old, here's what they said:

Mike Barnacle: What would you do, if you were elected, about Aleppo? [Pronouncing it with heavy emphasis on the initial A, almost like he was saying "a leppo". Is that a common way to pronounce it in some accents of American English?]
Johnson: About?
Barnacle: Aleppo.
Johnson: And what is Aleppo?
Barnacle: You're kidding?
Johnson: No.
Barnacle: Aleppo is in Syria, it's the epicenter of the refugee crisis ...
Johnson (interrupting): Ok. Got it. Got it. Well, with regard to Syria I do think that it's a mess, I think that the only way that we deal with Syria is to join hands with Russia to diplomatically bring that to an end. But when we've aligned ourselves with.. when we've supported the opposition, the Free Syrian Army is also coupled with the islamists, and then the fact that we are also supporting the kurds, and... This is just a mess. This is the result of regime change, that we end up supporting, and inevitable these regime changes has led to a less safe world.

I don't think this would've been as much of a gaffe if Johnson had a bit more charisma. With his body language often signaling "I'm a bit goofy and lost", in a situation like this it's just devastating. The way he says "Ok, got it. Got it" sound more to me like an "Oh, okay, I just learnt something" than a "Right, ofcourse I know what Aleppo is, I just blanked out / misheard / whatever for a second." If he'd been a bit more aplomb, I think he could've saved the situation just fine. It's sad how mere personality plays such crucial role in politics, even though I'm no ardent supporter of Johnson this just isn't the way a campaign should have to go down - or atleast take a somewhat substantial blow at a far from perfect time.

wizardwatson
09-08-2016, 07:55 AM
Barnacle: Aleppo is in Syria, it's the epicenter of the refugee crisis ...

Wonder if they are nailed down on these talking points. Syria War is "the epicenter of the refugee crisis".

Why is the crisis the refugees and not the war? People are being blown up and shot and killed. The war is the crisis. Refugees are a collateral problem.

Anyway, expected I guess.

Just weird that he insinuates that Aleppo is the center of refugee crisis and not center of the war.

juleswin
09-08-2016, 08:18 AM
There are already two stories on this on yahoo.com first page and both articles used a goofy pic of Gary Johnson on it. This smells like a hit job to me.

undergroundrr
09-08-2016, 08:27 AM
Yeah, the "You're kidding?" sounds like an expression of condescension. Maybe the interviewer was out for blood.

The MSM has latched onto this hard. That's all that matters at this point.

WaPo - "It would be easy to describe Gary Johnson's appearance on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" on Thursday as having doomed his third-party candidacy for president were it not for the fact that his candidacy was already doomed."
NYT "...could rock his insurgent candidacy when he could not answer a basic question about the crisis in Aleppo, Syria."
Slate "very good for a third-party candidate. That may change after an interview on MSNBC's Morning Joe today in which Johnson earnestly admits to have no idea what the city of Aleppo, Syria is."
Time - "The presidential candidate revealed his unfamiliarity with the city... Soon after, #WhatisAleppo began trending on Twitter "
CBS, US News, Fox, Washington Times, LA Times, RCP, ABC News, Daily Beast, etc. etc. etc.

It's odd that a third party candidate's gaffe makes the front pages of Yahoo News and Google News.

I suppose some here would say, "If the MSM has it out for this guy so bad, he must be doing something right."

Politico has the most balanced article -

Johnson's campaign released a formal statement later Thursday morning where the Libertarian nominee said he "blanked."
"Yes, I understand the dynamics of the Syrian conflict — I talk about them every day. But hit with “What about Aleppo?”, I immediately was thinking about an acronym, not the Syrian conflict. I blanked. It happens, and it will happen again during the course of this campaign," Johnson said in the statement. "Can I name every city in Syria? No. Should I have identified Aleppo? Yes. Do I understand its significance? Yes."

euphemia
09-08-2016, 08:32 AM

It matters because Johnson is a candidate for President of the United States being interviewed as such. The context of the interview says he needs to be up to speed on geography and current events. He only has about 20 seconds to convince people he is worthy of the job.

Chieppa1
09-08-2016, 08:32 AM
In Joe's defense, he is used to interviewing Ron Paul when it comes to the libertarian viewpoint. What a fucking idiot.

RJ Liberty
09-08-2016, 08:56 AM
It matters because Johnson is a candidate for President of the United States being interviewed as such. The context of the interview says he needs to be up to speed on geography and current events. He only has about 20 seconds to convince people he is worthy of the job.

We can all agree that the President of the United States should be "up to speed" on geography, but not knowing the name of a city in Syria certainly wouldn't prove someone's not "up to speed" on geography; Aleppo's not the capital of Syria, nor is it the largest city in that country. In point of fact, most Americans can't identify more than a few US states on a map, and certainly don't know where Aleppo is. In terms of your assertion about current events, I've had many political conversations over the past two years, and never once has anyone brought up Aleppo, though we certainly have talked about the wars in the Middle East, including Syria.

A quick search of your posts here indicates you've never mentioned Aleppo. Why is it suddenly so important to you that the POTUS knows all about Aleppo? Nevermind; I already know. You were the one talking about how eloquent and "gracious" Melania Trump's plagiarized speech was. Barf.

specsaregood
09-08-2016, 09:01 AM
In terms of your assertion about current events, I've had many political conversations over the past two years, and never once has anyone brought up Aleppo, though we certainly have talked about the wars in the Middle East, including Syria.

A quick search of your posts here indicates you've never mentioned Aleppo. Why is it suddenly so important to you that the POTUS knows all about Aleppo? Nevermind; I already know. You were the one talking about how eloquent and "gracious" Melania Trump's plagiarized speech was. Barf.

And yet Aleppo is mentioned in over 25 different threads here on rpfs just in the past month and 5 of them in the thread title alone. maybe GJ should read rpfs more often.

euphemia
09-08-2016, 09:03 AM
Because your candidate doesn't measure up, please don't turn this into an attack on me. I read about Aleppo in the news and I'm not running for anything. A man who is being interviewed as a candidate for President should expect a question about Aleppo and the question of refugees. It is relevant to US domestic and foreign policy because Obama has committed US resources to the issue. In fact, he boasts that he is ahead of the target he set for the numbers to be admitted here.

I don't comment on every single thread here. If it has degenerated into a who sucks more argument or if someone has already made the points I consider important, then I generally don't post. I don't have the luxury to be on the internet all day every day.

Brian4Liberty
09-08-2016, 09:05 AM
Gary admits he didn't know the name of the city. It is a gotcha question though. Even if you know something about Aleppo, there was no context. The "interviewer" was obviously prepared to jump on him. The leftists are attacking Johnson as they don't want him taking any votes from comrade Hillary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOT_BoGpCn4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3SNLPfVGt4

helmuth_hubener
09-08-2016, 09:06 AM
I also did not know who, what, or where "Aleppo" is or was until this thread.

Madison320
09-08-2016, 09:08 AM
Yeah, Johnson is terrible. Vote for Trump instead. He wants to build a giant wall, increase govt spending, keep interest rates low, raise the minimum wage, continue the war on drugs, etc, etc.

Madison320
09-08-2016, 09:09 AM

I would've guessed it was a town in Italy.

silverhandorder
09-08-2016, 09:11 AM
We can all agree that the President of the United States should be "up to speed" on geography, but not knowing the name of a city in Syria certainly wouldn't prove someone's not "up to speed" on geography; Aleppo's not the capital of Syria, nor is it the largest city in that country. In point of fact, most Americans can't identify more than a few US states on a map, and certainly don't know where Aleppo is. In terms of your assertion about current events, I've had many political conversations over the past two years, and never once has anyone brought up Aleppo, though we certainly have talked about the wars in the Middle East, including Syria.

We will see how it looks after this blows over. It could be that Garry attracts so little support that that won't even show up.

euphemia
09-08-2016, 09:11 AM
Gary Johnson is a horrible candidate. He's not a Libertarian. He's not ready for this, and I'm afraid he knows it. Right now, he is where Donald Trump was last summer. Not a clue, a bit bewildered, and no coherent message. Trump has improved his presentation somewhat, if not the message, but I don't see Johnson doing anything to get better. The opportunity was there for Libertarians, and they totally fumbled.

undergroundrr
09-08-2016, 09:14 AM

Although I don't love the spirit in which it's written, you're absolutely right.

Nazi cakes and all the rest of the things people complain about here have no bearing on electability, but this is a little different.

I don't think he could afford anything that would make people take him less seriously. He's a serious threat (in fact, the only threat) to Hillary and the MSM has shown today that they will hammer him if he gives them an opening. We'll see how resilient he is.

specsaregood
09-08-2016, 09:19 AM
Yeah, Johnson is terrible. Vote for Trump instead. He wants to build a giant wall, increase govt spending, keep interest rates low, raise the minimum wage, continue the war on drugs, etc, etc.

That seems to be the mantra for the GJ supporter, a non-vote for Johnson == a vote for trump. nonsense.

Brian4Liberty
09-08-2016, 09:20 AM
I was very familiar with Aleppo, yet at the same time, I didn't know the latest day to day details on the fighting there. Who has a plan for Aleppo? Those douchebags on MSNBC have no plan, and they know that no politician has a plan, and if a politician offers a plan, it could be easily ripped apart.

It was a gotcha question, with no good answer. Unfortunately for Gary, it worked out perfectly, probably better than expected, and to their absolute delight.

euphemia
09-08-2016, 09:22 AM
Truly, in a television age, sound bytes matter. Johnson has precious little time to grab attention and say something people will remember. Johnson sounds like a lightweight and doesn't seem to be taking his candidacy seriously.

Rand had this same point, but it was more because it takes him so long to get to the point. The first sentence has to be a strong statement with about three bullet points under that.

EBounding
09-08-2016, 09:23 AM
Yeah, I'll admit it. If you asked me, "what would you do about Aleppo?" without mentioning Syria, I wouldn't know what to say either. Shame on me perhaps, but I'm also not running for president. I don't expect the candidates to be experts, but they should have enough knowledge to make decisions.

Brian4Liberty
09-08-2016, 09:24 AM
Johnson fell into the same trap that Rand did in his first Senate run. Attempt to appeal to the Marxists on MSNBC, and they will viciously set you up, smear and attack you.

donnay
09-08-2016, 09:30 AM
https://twitter.com/Morning_Joe/status/773851435477762048

Gary Johnson just made a fool of himself on Morning Joe, and it's already the top trend on Twitter.

Edit, NBC article: http://www.nbcnews.com/card/gary-johnson-what-aleppo-n644731

"Just made" a fool of himself?

They will just say he doesn't get the briefings the other candidate gets. :rolleyes:

euphemia
09-08-2016, 09:33 AM
That's no excuse. He can read the news, at least.

donnay
09-08-2016, 09:37 AM

Oh I agree, but they will make excuses for him because he is being used to divide. I am sure Romney will apologize for him.

Madison320
09-08-2016, 09:41 AM
That seems to be the mantra for the GJ supporter, a non-vote for Johnson == a vote for trump. nonsense.

I should've explained myself better. I was mainly addressing people that think Trump is a better candidate than GJ.

Of course there's people that are much more libertarian than GJ. But Ayn Rand and Ron Paul are not running for President.

There's a lot of reasons not to vote for Gary Johnson. But don't tell me he's less of a libertarian than Trump or Clinton.

euphemia
09-08-2016, 09:51 AM
Johnson is not a Libertarian at all. He likes pot and all, but that doesn't make him a principled Libertarian. I will not be voting for him.

To be clear, I have stated that Johnson is not ready for campaigning, and he is certainly not ready to be President. Trump has improved his presentation dramatically, and that is specifically what I am addressing. For a guy who has no experience in politics, it is clear he workx hard and is still engaged in learning. That's not any kind of endorsement of the candidate or his message.

Big fan of Darrell Castle, here. Unfortunately the CP has a very weak campaign, and ballot access will be a problem this cycle.

angelatc
09-08-2016, 10:04 AM

Not saying that it is not a misstep. It's definitely a "GOTCHA" moment. (Hillary just lies about it, and that's ok.)

But on election day, 85% of the people pulling the lever will not know where or what Aleppo is. 10% of the others learned about it today.

jllundqu
09-08-2016, 10:04 AM
I'm sorry but ANYONE who has ANY FREAKING CLUE about what is happening in Syria knows what's happening in Aleppo. There are a dozen stories about Aleppo on any given news site dealing with foreign policy / war issues...

I don't give Johnson a pass for this. He should have known and he didn't.

I give him credit for his honesty during and after the fact. He immediately owned up to it. There was no bullshit spin (like people in this thread are trying to do) about "oh I thought he said "A Leppo" or something.... that would have been a Hillary answer.

Personally I think that is a net positive for him (for me), but for the massive twitter firestorm over the 'flap' I think this really hurts him.

angelatc
09-08-2016, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I'll admit it. If you asked me, "what would you do about Aleppo?" without mentioning Syria, I wouldn't know what to say either. Shame on me perhaps, but I'm also not running for president. I don't expect the candidates to be experts, but they should have enough knowledge to make decisions.

That's what advisors and morning briefings are for.

RJB
09-08-2016, 10:11 AM
I am not a big Johnson fan, but I would rather a non-imterventionalist who didn't know what Aleppo is versus a warmonger who mistakenly thinks he or she does.

angelatc
09-08-2016, 10:11 AM
I just heard a little snippet on AP Radio News.

They said something along the lines of the libertarian presidential candidate claims he blanked when asked about a crisis in a war torn Syrian city. Then they played a clip of him asking for the clarification.

DO you see what they did there?

euphemia
09-08-2016, 10:14 AM
I'm not on Twitter, so I'm not involved in the firestorm. I just think a candidate for President should know that the refugee issue needs to be addressed. Ben Carson, who also has no experience in politics, actually went to Syria, to see for himself.

undergroundrr
09-08-2016, 10:14 AM
Ugh, AP. I worked in radio for a long time. AP is the worst influence on society there is. With its incessant, innocuous, boring headlines, it deteriorates culture one drip at a time like Chinese water torture. Its nonprofit status needs to be yanked, like yesterday.

EBounding
09-08-2016, 10:16 AM
That's what advisors and morning briefings are for.

Yes, exactly. I'm not crazy about Johnson, but people shouldn't rake him over the coals for this. Gaffes happen to the best of us.

angelatc
09-08-2016, 10:18 AM
"Gary Johnson might not have known what Aleppo is, but he's the only one that's right on Syria." - my husband.

juleswin
09-08-2016, 10:21 AM
Also didn't help his cause among the mainstream media that he talks about working with Russia to solve the war. Had he said Russia illegal bombing of mderate head choppers were wrong, I bet the headlines would be much different this morning.

Madison320
09-08-2016, 10:27 AM
Johnson is not a Libertarian at all. He likes pot and all, but that doesn't make him a principled Libertarian. I will not be voting for him.

To be clear, I have stated that Johnson is not ready for campaigning, and he is certainly not ready to be President. Trump has improved his presentation dramatically, and that is specifically what I am addressing. For a guy who has no experience in politics, it is clear he workx hard and is still engaged in learning. That's not any kind of endorsement of the candidate or his message.

Big fan of Darrell Castle, here. Unfortunately the CP has a very weak campaign, and ballot access will be a problem this cycle.

Darrell Castle might be better than Gary Johnson but the LP is better than the CP. The Constitution Party wants to prohibit stuff like gambling, pornography and drugs. The LP goal is to maximize liberty, the CP goal is to support God and the Constitution.

VIDEODROME
09-08-2016, 10:36 AM
I dunno. The guy comes off weird asking this with no context making it feel like a gotcha question.

On the other hand, Gary is pushing to get in the debates, so it could also be argued he should be better prepped for shit like this.

Or at the very least, Gary should just turn questions like this on the news anchor by simply asking if they can be more specific. They could have asked, what as President would you do about Detroit? Can you be more specific please? Crime? The economy? Industry? Trade? Jobs? Assuming Gary has a limited time to answer any question he shouldn't have to fish around for answers on how to deal with a place that has many issues.

euphemia
09-08-2016, 10:44 AM
What you suggest would be done by a more poised and polished candidate. Johnson is not that. A question grabbed straight from the headlines is not a gotcha question.

And to the suggestion that the Libertarian party is better than the Constitution party is really absurd. Look who the Libertarians chose as their candidate. Look at their choices. They make no compelling argument for liberty unless that means an obese naked guy on the stage. Real leadership there.

Krugminator2
09-08-2016, 10:45 AM
This should be totally unimportant. It bothers me a lot more that he doesn't know basic concepts of liberty. But Gary isn't on Jeopardy. This is minutia. This isn't the National Geography Bee. His philosophy for thinking about situations is much more important.

Donald Trump supports tariffs and Hillary Clinton doesn't think businesses create jobs. Those seem like bigger gotchas than not knowing some city in the Middle East that has nothing to do with the US.

euphemia
09-08-2016, 11:02 AM
It does matter in the larger context of world events when the nation in which that city is located suddenly demands the relocation of thousands of young muslim men of fighting age. No Christians and very few women and children are being sent to a neighborhood near you.

I'm with you on the rest. I have a feeling Trump's message is a warmed-over Clinton: Soak the rich. Except it's Soak China.

kahless
09-08-2016, 11:18 AM
It is not going to stop, his free pass on ignorance is over and he may as well drop out at this point. The anti-Trump establishment wants to make room for McMullin whom will fail to gain any traction but they will try anyway. They will take down other third party candidates to provide him as an alternative.

jkr
09-08-2016, 11:19 AM
The correct answer is: who gives a phuk

Peace&Freedom
09-08-2016, 11:19 AM
This is a blessing in disguise for Johnson. LP candidates are usually not treated as important enough by the media to have their own flaps. Apparently somebody at NBC finally noticed Johnson is pulling crucial votes away from Hillary, and is not happy about it. Gary is "too high" in the polls, and has gotten too big for his britches, so it was time to bury him. Notice in the video that host Scarborough immediately piled on (probably having gotten talking points fed to his ear piece). Johnson's important enough to get a news cycle!

His eventual answer to the question, while clearly showing signs he was caught off-guard, was a sensible expression of how intervention was making a bad situation worse. Rand would have said substantially the same, except more confidently, and without initially appearing uninformed. Perhaps he can make lemonade out of that substance, from the lemon that was his way of presenting it.

CPUd
09-08-2016, 11:25 AM
Now he's getting the kind of press that will get him polling double digits.

PierzStyx
09-08-2016, 11:37 AM
There are already two stories on this on yahoo.com first page and both articles used a goofy pic of Gary Johnson on it. This smells like a hit job to me.

Well, he set himself up for it if so. Of course those opposed to him are going to shout it far and wide.

dean.engelhardt
09-08-2016, 11:44 AM
"Gary Johnson might not have known what Aleppo is, but he's the only one that's right on Syria." - my husband.

You married well. I agree with your husband. GJ gave a fantastic answer on how the US should be involved in the Syrian issue, but it seems everybody got distracted by the "shiny object" Aleppo question. When compared to "Mexicans are rapist" and continued lies and cover ups over classified emails, this misstep seems minor.

jonhowe
09-08-2016, 11:48 AM
Brain fart turned into hit piece.

America!

Madison320
09-08-2016, 12:14 PM
What you suggest would be done by a more poised and polished candidate. Johnson is not that. A question grabbed straight from the headlines is not a gotcha question.

And to the suggestion that the Libertarian party is better than the Constitution party is really absurd. Look who the Libertarians chose as their candidate. Look at their choices. They make no compelling argument for liberty unless that means an obese naked guy on the stage. Real leadership there.

Don't forget that the LP nominated Ron Paul. Maybe the CP has nominated a better candidate in this election, but only because they nominated a guy who disagrees with a lot of their official platform. The opposite goes for Gary Johnson. The reason Johnson is not that great a libertarian is because he disagrees with some of the LP's platform. Since the LP's core stated belief is superior to the CP's, I would expect them to produce superior candidates over time.

Parts of the Constitution Party sounds more like a theocracy:

From their official platform:

"Pornography, obscenity and sexually oriented businesses are a distortion of the true nature of sex created by God for the procreative union between one man and one woman in the holy bonds of matrimony. This results in emotional, physical, spiritual and financial costs to individuals, families and communities.

Due to a lack of prosecution, the sexually oriented business industry has proliferated, aggravating the problems of child pornography, human trafficking and sexually transmitted diseases. This is decreasing our safety by increasing crime rates, specifically rape and molestation in additional to the loss of dignity belonging to all human beings.

We call on our local, state and federal governments to uphold our First Amendment right to free speech by vigorously enforcing all laws against obscenity.

We call on all levels of government to protect and promote that which is truly free speech while vigorously defending and enforcing laws that protect us from the proliferation of the pornography and sexually oriented business industries because they are proven to be toxic to community standards, lower property values and increase crime.

While we believe in the responsibility of the individual and corporate entities to regulate themselves, we also believe that government plays a vital role in protecting all citizens, particularly our most vulnerable, women and children, from exploitation."

undergroundrr
09-08-2016, 12:19 PM
Brain fart turned into hit piece.

America!

+rep

euphemia
09-08-2016, 12:21 PM
You can keep saying that, but it doesn't change the fact that Darrell Castle is the best candidate for President, and it doesn't change the fact that Johnson doesn't know what he's doing. The CP is as noninterventionist as they can be. Castle would bring our military home immediately and he would not engage in any kind of war unless we are attacked directly.

The Constitution Party was founded by a lot of fundamentalist Christians, but they attract a lot of people on the other end of the spectrum because they are bsically a liberty movement. If they had an influx of liberty thinkers who also brought some liberty dollars and some help, I suspect their platform would change quite a bit.

Madison320
09-08-2016, 12:26 PM
You can keep saying that, but it doesn't change the fact that Darrell Castle is the best candidate for President, and it doesn't change the fact that Johnson doesn't know what he's doing. The CP is as noninterventionist as they can be. Castle would bring our military home immediately and he would not engage in any kind of war unless we are attacked directly.

The Constitution Party was founded by a lot of fundamentalist Christians, but they attract a lot of people on the other end of the spectrum because they are bsically a liberty movement. If they had an influx of liberty thinkers who also brought some liberty dollars and some help, I suspect their platform would change quite a bit.

Do you think the Constitution Party's official platform is better (more libertarian) than the Libertarian Party's official platform?

euphemia
09-08-2016, 12:30 PM
I think their platform suits my life very well. That's what I can say.

I definitely think the Constitution Party gives us serious, constitutionally-minded candidates. The Libertarian Party fails in that regard. Since Ron Paul, they have not had any kind of electable candidate.

bunklocoempire
09-08-2016, 12:30 PM
Let's see what the allowable discussion is...

a quick search for "Aleppo" in the U.S. Federal Googlement data base reveals...

USA Today: Gary Johnson swings and misses on Syria, asking 'What is Aleppo?'

The New York Times: 'What Is Aleppo?' Gary Johnson Asks in an Interview Stumble

Nicely played. Two "news paper" "headlines" pop up, allowing my mind to quickly take in theatrics while keeping the heart of the issue obfuscated as I go on with my daily life. One of those "headlines", a total misdirection/lie. Gary did not 'miss' on Syria.

Nice one, U.S. Federal Googlement. Way to go, live TV psyop-set the discussion-players. A finely tuned b.s. machine.

Brian4Liberty
09-08-2016, 01:20 PM
I'm sorry but ANYONE who has ANY FREAKING CLUE about what is happening in Syria knows what's happening in Aleppo. There are a dozen stories about Aleppo on any given news site dealing with foreign policy / war issues...

I don't give Johnson a pass for this. He should have known and he didn't.

I give him credit for his honesty during and after the fact. He immediately owned up to it. There was no bull$#@! spin (like people in this thread are trying to do) about "oh I thought he said "A Leppo" or something.... that would have been a Hillary answer.

Personally I think that is a net positive for him (for me), but for the massive twitter firestorm over the 'flap' I think this really hurts him.

I tried an experiment on a couple of people. Played the question and paused the video. Both responses were basically the same. "What did he say? What's a leppo? Did he say leopard?"

Brian4Liberty
09-08-2016, 01:24 PM
This is a blessing in disguise for Johnson. LP candidates are usually not treated as important enough by the media to have their own flaps. Apparently somebody at NBC finally noticed Johnson is pulling crucial votes away from Hillary, and is not happy about it. Gary is "too high" in the polls, and has gotten too big for his britches, so it was time to bury him. Notice in the video that host Scarborough immediately piled on (probably having gotten talking points fed to his ear piece). Johnson's important enough to get a news cycle!

His eventual answer to the question, while clearly showing signs he was caught off-guard, was a sensible expression of how intervention was making a bad situation worse. Rand would have said substantially the same, except more confidently, and without initially appearing uninformed. Perhaps he can make lemonade out of that substance, from the lemon that was his way of presenting it.

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you...”

angelatc
09-08-2016, 01:25 PM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/09/08/no_one_knows_what_aleppo_is.html

New York TimesMisidentifies Aleppo Twice in Story About Gary Johnson

ISIS's de facto capital is Raqqa, not Aleppo. Whoops! But the paper realized its mistake pretty quickly and changed the story. From an archive site: (http://newsdiffs.org/diff/1245727/1245766/www.nytimes.com/2016/09/09/us/politics/gary-johnson-aleppo.html)

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/the_slatest/2016/09/08/no_one_knows_what_aleppo_is/screen_shot_20160908_at_10.22.44_am.png.CROP.promo var-mediumlarge.22.44_am.png
Screenshot/NewsDiffs

Here's the problem: Aleppo is not an ISIS stronghold, either. It's a divided city thatdoesn't have much of an ISIS presence (https://twitter.com/jenanmoussa/status/770700998734118913) and is the site of heavy ongoing fighting (http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-aleppo-idUSKCN11E1ET)between the Syrian government and other rebels. So the Times had to change its story again.

Brian4Liberty
09-08-2016, 01:29 PM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/09/08/no_one_knows_what_aleppo_is.html

New York TimesMisidentifies Aleppo Twice in Story About Gary Johnson

They have no shame. Pure lying there. Pretty much all of the media are doing it today. And if the vast majority of these talking head hypocrites had been asked the same question, they wouldn't know what to say either.

undergroundrr
09-08-2016, 01:35 PM
Again, it's the Glenn Beck Deb Medina thing (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?231051-Transcript-of-Beck-Medina-Interview) all over again. Apparently the McMullin tactic wasn't working quickly enough. There's no other reason this would be so pervasive in the media starting 30 seconds after it happened.

Politico had a decent article about this morning's interview earlier, then they got the message from their handlers and replaced it with this headline - "Gary Johnson's Rick Perry moment".

fatjohn
09-08-2016, 01:36 PM
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/09/08/gary-johnson-on-his-aleppo-gaffe-for-those-that-believe-this-is-a-disqualifier-so-be-it.html

Gary came on the view.

Why doesnt he answer the question if this kills his campaign with. Well, Trump didnt know that China was not a part of the trans-pacific partnerschip and Hillary didnt know 'C' stands for confidential. So the way i see it you can vote for dumb, dumber and mr. Not-so-bright.

Pff these candidates sure make running for president look easy.

Madison320
09-08-2016, 01:41 PM
I think their platform suits my life very well. That's what I can say.

It sounds to me like you put your religion over individual liberties. You just don't want to come right out and say it. That would explain why you favor the Constitution Party.

angelatc
09-08-2016, 01:46 PM
It sounds to me like you put your religion over individual liberties. You just don't want to come right out and say it. That would explain why you favor the Constitution Party.

I voted for Baldwin when he ran on the CP platform, and I also think that Castle is the candidate that most closely that aligns with my beliefs as well. I am not religious in the slightest

angelatc
09-08-2016, 01:49 PM
HIllary doesn't know what (C) stands for? No problem.

Johnson's pandering to the left means that he is more prone to attacks than if he was pulling from the right, I think.

Madison320
09-08-2016, 01:57 PM
I voted for Baldwin when he ran on the CP platform, and I also think that Castle is the candidate that most closely that aligns with my beliefs as well. I am not religious in the slightest

Argggg!!!!

That's not my point. My point is that I believe the Libertarian Party is "superior" to the Constitution Party "in the long run".

undergroundrr
09-08-2016, 02:05 PM
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/09/08/gary-johnson-on-his-aleppo-gaffe-for-those-that-believe-this-is-a-disqualifier-so-be-it.html

Gary came on the view.

Why doesnt he answer the question if this kills his campaign with. Well, Trump didnt know that China was not a part of the trans-pacific partnerschip and Hillary didnt know 'C' stands for confidential. So the way i see it you can vote for dumb, dumber and mr. Not-so-bright.

Pff these candidates sure make running for president look easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWyyEkOlIEU

Great quote -
"I reject the notion that libertarians are isolationists, they're just non-interventionists. When we get involved in other countries' affairs it has the unintended consequence of making things worse, not better."

Followed quickly by perky chick desperately trying to blurt out the command from her earpiece about how his campaign is over.

So far, I like how he's handling it. If he gets lots of press and gets a chance to talk like he did in this interview, then it could turn out to be a net positive. He's not a snaky, wiggly guy - he just says what he thinks. He got to put out some serious substance about Syrian and Libyan affairs. And he was really humble and had a sense of humor about it. No unbiased person who watched it could really fault him by the end.

Joy Behar really wants him to get out of the race because he's in Hillary's way! :eek:

There's a deep theme of the media not wanting to accept his "acronym" excuse. They really want to drill into people's heads that he doesn't know what or where Aleppo is. That's absurd.

Murray N Rothbard
09-08-2016, 02:07 PM
It's funny (or maybe just depressing) how Trump does this literally on a daily basis and it has no effect.

Murray N Rothbard
09-08-2016, 02:09 PM
HIllary doesn't know what (C) stands for? No problem.

I'm certainly not defending Hillary, but I am just curious- do you, honestly, know what it actually stands for? Serious question. It may not be what you think.

juleswin
09-08-2016, 02:16 PM
It's funny (or maybe just depressing) how Trump does this literally on a daily basis and it has no effect.

Low expectation at play there due to the fact that he is supposedly a non politician.

axiomata
09-08-2016, 02:22 PM
At least he didn't say:

What's Aleppo? Eh, doesn't matter, just bomb it.

puppetmaster
09-08-2016, 02:28 PM
Was he sober during the interview? weed is getting to him.

dean.engelhardt
09-08-2016, 02:56 PM
Should be good for a two point bump.

09-08-2016, 03:12 PM
Yeah he should have known. You are all right of course. But whatever. Johnson isn't going to be potus, we all know that already.

I knew it was a city in Syria, but couldn't point it out on a map. I didn't know the significance of it either.

Also to be fair the interview pronounced it oddly and gave no context at all.

angelatc
09-08-2016, 03:38 PM
I'm certainly not defending Hillary, but I am just curious- do you, honestly, know what it actually stands for? Serious question. It may not be what you think.

I am not one of the few people in the world allowed to classify intelligence. It is my understanding that C indicates it is classified, and there are different levels of classification, one of which is confidential. (I only know that because of a Facebook conversation i had recently

farreri
09-08-2016, 03:51 PM
I agree with Gary, what's a Leppo? :D

I can't believe people are making such a stink about this. No wonder we are in the mess we're in.

Rudeman
09-08-2016, 04:01 PM
I'm not even a GJ fan and all I thought was who cares? I doubt the people who support him care if he knew what Aleppo was and I doubt most people had a clue and had to google it. People support GJ because they hate Hillary and Trump, Aleppo won't change that, all it'll do is give him more publicity. Of course all the Dems/Hillary bots will declare it as disqualifying because they desperately want him out or taken down.

brandon
09-08-2016, 04:04 PM
remember the allepo!

Influenza
09-08-2016, 04:25 PM
What kind of stupid question was that anyways? Why would what the US "does about Aleppo" be any different than the country as a whole?

farreri
09-08-2016, 04:28 PM
I'm not even a GJ fan and all I thought was who cares? I doubt the people who support him care if he knew what Aleppo was and I doubt most people had a clue and had to google it. People support GJ because they hate Hillary and Trump, Aleppo won't change that, all it'll do is give him more publicity. Of course all the Dems/Hillary bots will declare it as disqualifying because they desperately want him out or taken down.
The real question was did GJ think he was asked "What is Aleppo?" or "What is a Leppo?" and it's really not a big deal if he thought he was asked Aleppo since it's not part of the U.S. and a place the U.S. should not be involved in, unless we want to screw it up even worse!

r3volution 3.0
09-08-2016, 04:28 PM
I agree with Gary, what's a Leppo? :D

I can't believe people are making such a stink about this. No wonder we are in the mess we're in.

Yup, Trumpllary supporters and their MSM allies all looking desperately for any excuse to attack the only anti-establishment candidate in the race.

That it's being cheered on here at RPF is especially revolting.

JohnM
09-08-2016, 04:31 PM
I tried an experiment on a couple of people. Played the question and paused the video. Both responses were basically the same. "What did he say? What's a leppo? Did he say leopard?"

Exactly. Not a great moment for Gary, but understandable. Not impressed with Morning Joe.

The definitive answer, by the way is
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14202510_10154015238703666_8518285030681639580_n.j pg?oh=503379342f073ce174f695dfd9081e93&oe=587E88FF

farreri
09-08-2016, 04:31 PM
That it's being cheered on here at RPF is especially revolting.
There's a lot of fake liberty people here.

r3volution 3.0
09-08-2016, 04:32 PM

That there are.

09-08-2016, 04:34 PM
I think it's funny all this predicting Johnson's campaign is over. He isn't going to win, we all know that. It's not like it really matters much. What are the Clinton and Trump pushers so worried about?

Ender
09-08-2016, 04:34 PM
New York Times Misidentifies Aleppo Twice in Story About Gary Johnson’s Aleppo Gaffe

By Ben Mathis-Lilley

The Times' Gary Johnson/Aleppo story.

Libertarian presidential candidate and former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson went on MSNBC's Morning Joe today and admitted in response to a question about Aleppo, Syria, that he had no idea what "Aleppo" was. This was a pretty big mistake for someone who is likely to get millions of votes in the upcoming presidential election, so the New York Times wrote a story about it. Except that its story misidentified Aleppo.

But mistakes can happen, as The New York Times proved. A subsequent story titled, ‘What Is Aleppo?’ Gary Johnson Asks, in an Interview Stumble,' screwed up the same issue, and the first effort to correct it only made it worse.

First the paper called Aleppo the capital of Islamic State. That's wrong, the black-clad jihadists' stronghold is Raqqa. Then, the story changed Aleppo's descriptor to "the capital of Syria." Wrong again.

Maybe the Times will find it in its heart to go a little easier on the next candidate who "stumbles."

J
@JGreenDC

The @nytimes, while chiding Gary Johnson for a "surprising lack of foreign policy knowledge," gets basic fact wrong
7:52 AM - 8 Sep 2016

ISIS's de facto capital is Raqqa, not Aleppo. Whoops! But the paper realized its mistake pretty quickly and changed the story.

Here's the problem: Aleppo is not an ISIS stronghold, either. It's a divided city that doesn't have much of an ISIS presence and is the site of heavy ongoing fighting between the Syrian government and other rebels. So the Times had to change its story again.

@Jamie_Weinstein

#ProTip: Dont use FP credentials to criticize politician for not knowing what Aleppo is & then say it's ISIS capital
6:57 AM - 8 Sep 2016

Ruling: Finally correct.

Meanwhile, a gentleman named Christopher Hill who was the U.S.'s ambassador to Iraq under Obama also made the Raqqa/Aleppo mistake while ostensibly having a laugh at Johnson's expense.

To be clear, I publish this post with full knowledge that, according to the Law of Cascading Condescension, I have made a ghastly factual error of my own somewhere within it.

JohnM
09-08-2016, 04:40 PM
Argggg!!!!

That's not my point. My point is that I believe the Libertarian Party is "superior" to the Constitution Party "in the long run".

But does it really matter? You vote for the candidate, not the party.

To say "Parties mean absolutely nothing" would probably be a slight exaggeration, but only very slight. People who are libertarian in outlook have run for office in recent years under the banner of the Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, and Constitutionalist Parties.

r3volution 3.0
09-08-2016, 04:50 PM
I think it's funny all this predicting Johnson's campaign is over. He isn't going to win, we all know that. It's not like it really matters much. What are the Clinton and Trump pushers so worried about?

Johnson getting in the debates

Trump's only asset is that he's only being compared to Hillary, and vice versa.

Put a sane person on stage and even Boobus might start to see the light.

...can't have that.

farreri
09-08-2016, 05:00 PM
Exactly. Not a great moment for Gary, but understandable. Not impressed with Morning Joe.

The definitive answer, by the way is
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14202510_10154015238703666_8518285030681639580_n.j pg?oh=503379342f073ce174f695dfd9081e93&oe=587E88FF
This whole much ado about nothing non-issue sorta reminds me when an interviewer asked a young Justin Beiber if his last name is German for "basketball", but the interviewer's thick accent made Justin think he said "Jew Man" not German.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76CqijPNGSk

Krugminator2
09-08-2016, 05:03 PM
The real question was did GJ think he was asked "What is Aleppo?" or "What is a Leppo?" and it's really not a big deal if he thought he was asked Aleppo since it's not part of the U.S. and a place the U.S. should not be involved in, unless we want to screw it up even worse!

The real question is "Who cares?" This is such a nothing issue.

And it is wildly amusing that Trump supporters are questioning Gary's knowledge. Trump didn't know what Brexit was like 2 weeks before the vote and that is a major issue for his brand of politics. If someone supports Trump, they forfeit all right to criticize the knowledge of anyone. The only person that a Trump supporter can criticize is Hank Johnson. If you want to criticize the guy who thinks Guam is going to tip over, you can do that. But when you support that jackanapes, you better just smile when Hillary or Johnson makes a gaffe.

farreri
09-08-2016, 05:18 PM
The real question is "Who cares?" This is such a nothing issue.
Oh believe me, I know!

And it is wildly amusing that Trump supporters are questioning Gary's knowledge. Trump didn't know what Brexit was like 2 weeks before the vote and that is a major issue for his brand of politics.
He also didn't know what a nuclear triad when asked during one of the debates, but I think with Gary, he thought he was being asked a different word; a Leppo, not Aleppo.

kahless
09-08-2016, 05:23 PM

Since when is Gary Johnson a liberty candidate? Just because the guy wants to legalize weed does not make him a liberty candidate. He is about as much a liberty candidate as George Bush.

r3volution 3.0
09-08-2016, 05:24 PM
with Gary, he thought he was being asked a different word; a Leppo, not Aleppo.

That's the most plausible explanation. It's not as if he's unaware of the Syrian war, or lacks a policy view on it, the question just didn't land because of it's odd phrasing. It'd be like asking somebody "what would do about Mosul?" (as opposed to asking about Iraq), or "what would you do about Kiev?" (as opposed to asking about Ukraine). Doesn't make much sense, since the policy concerns the whole country/conflict, not just one city in it. When has any other candidate ever been asked such a question? I suspect the goal was to produce just the kind of soundbite they did, for the very purpose they're now using it.

r3volution 3.0
09-08-2016, 05:28 PM
Since when is Gary Johnson a liberty candidate? Just because the guy wants to legalize weed does not make him a liberty candidate. He is about as much a liberty candidate as George Bush.

Are you claiming that that is Johnson's only pro-liberty position?

You are honestly unaware of any others?

Or, you are aware of others, but are dishonestly ignoring them?

eleganz
09-08-2016, 05:28 PM
Does the saying, "no such thing as bad press" still apply to his Aleppo thing?

LibertyEagle
09-08-2016, 05:35 PM

That there are.

So very true.

https://s11.postimg.org/m71cc9rir/Rev3_loving_on_world_government.png (https://postimg.org/image/8dczn7yxb/)print screen windows 7 (https://postimage.org/app.php)

CCTelander
09-08-2016, 05:39 PM

I know, right?

silverhandorder
09-08-2016, 06:06 PM
I think he was really helped by NYT f@ckup.

MattRay
09-08-2016, 06:24 PM
It got him more exposure than he had previously and you know what they say, no publicity is bad publicity. I have no problem with this. I already knew Johnson wasn't a rocket scientist, but I think it showed that he at least has his head in the right place. Our government and politicians think far too much about the rest of the world while we're losing freedom and prosperity at a rapid pace. The important thing is that Johnson is committed to a non-interventionist foreign policy, at least understands the policy and seemingly has no intention of playing world police or chess in the world. One negative is that the neocons and 1 party crowd will use this to push the narrative that 3rd party candidates aren't serious or qualified, but it should blow over, especially with the NYT article and Johnson's pretty humble response. It's scandalous to me that you have people like Hillary laughing about this and placing greater importance on parts of the world that don't concern us while continuing her warmongering with Russia all the while she outright refuses to acknowledge our debt, much less our fraudulent, dying fiat currency. That's the real disqualifying thing. Enough of this welfare-warfare state and NWO nonsense.

But better to not know where Aleppo is than to send troops there!

Ender
09-08-2016, 06:34 PM
So very true.

https://s11.postimg.org/m71cc9rir/Rev3_loving_on_world_government.png (https://postimg.org/image/8dczn7yxb/)print screen windows 7 (https://postimage.org/app.php)

Leessee- you posted that 9 times now?

And refused to acknowledge the meaning of hypothetical?

How sweet.

phill4paul
09-08-2016, 06:35 PM

Seriously?

Ya know? I'm just Joe Schmuck. I'm a handi-man and have had an excellent season that has kept me working 40-50 hr. weeks. I'm 52 so in the summer heat it is the best I can do. Even I, and honestly, every RPF member should have heard of Aleppo.I didn't hear about it in the media. goldenequity has been keeping us up-dated.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Aleppo%20site%3Aronpaulforums.com&pc=cosp&ptag=C1AE89FD93123&form=CONBDF&conlogo=CT3210127

If Gary Johnson doesn't recognize the name then it means he either doesn't care or is clueless.

I know about Aleppo. I require that a candidate for POTUS does too.

Ender
09-08-2016, 06:36 PM

The press was actually wrong on the Aleppo thing too. Printed some wrong statements and were worse off than Johnson.

But mistakes can happen, as The New York Times proved. A subsequent story titled, ‘What Is Aleppo?’ Gary Johnson Asks, in an Interview Stumble,' screwed up the same issue, and the first effort to correct it only made it worse.

First the paper called Aleppo the capital of Islamic State. That's wrong, the black-clad jihadists' stronghold is Raqqa. Then, the story changed Aleppo's descriptor to "the capital of Syria." Wrong again.

Maybe the Times will find it in its heart to go a little easier on the next candidate who "stumbles."

euphemia
09-08-2016, 06:53 PM
It doesn't matter what position the press takes. It matters that Gary Johnson went into an interview as a candidate for President of the United States and didn't know, when people talk about his immigration position like he's right. If he doesn't know we are taking tens of thousands of so-called refugees from Syria, then he has some work to do, and perhaps he should do his homework before he does interviews. At least read the headlines for that day.

eleganz
09-08-2016, 07:17 PM
I don't know if GJ really didn't know Aleppo or if it was true that he just thought they were hitting him with a question about an acronym (like he claims in his press release).

Either way, more attention for the third party option, which I'm happy about.

Not knowing about Aleppo has nothing to do with how pure of a libertarian you are. It might show that you are a libertarian social media activist but seriously if you guys want to use this as a reason to say how un-libertarian GJ is, Jesus take a break.

farreri
09-08-2016, 07:24 PM
:confused:

Natural Citizen
09-08-2016, 07:26 PM
It might show that you are a libertarian social media activist but seriously if you guys want to use this as a reason to say how un-libertarian GJ is, Jesus take a break.

I've been kind of quiet on the topic of Johnson lately. Mainly just to let you all have your say uninterrupted. But if you think for 2 seconds that someone can't make a legit, intelligent, persistent case for why and how he is fundamentally anti-Individual Liberty in scope, you'd do well to be careful what you ask for. You might just get it. And it'll sting. It'll sting bad. And it'll sting relentlessly. And it'll sting in ways that you've never been stung. Think about these things before you make a challenge and an assumption like that of others. Think them through thoroughly.

phill4paul
09-08-2016, 07:28 PM
It doesn't matter what position the press takes. It matters that Gary Johnson went into an interview as a candidate for President of the United States and didn't know, when people talk about his immigration position like he's right. If he doesn't know we are taking tens of thousands of so-called refugees from Syria, then he has some work to do, and perhaps he should do his homework before he does interviews. At least read the headlines for that day.

His immigration policy is subjective. I don't have a problem with it.

JK/SEA
09-08-2016, 07:52 PM

so what have you done for liberty in the last 2 election cycles?

Son_of_Liberty90
09-08-2016, 07:54 PM
Gary admits he didn't know the name of the city. It is a gotcha question though. Even if you know something about Aleppo, there was no context. The "interviewer" was obviously prepared to jump on him. The leftists are attacking Johnson as they don't want him taking any votes from comrade Hillary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOT_BoGpCn4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3SNLPfVGt4

Absolutely ZERO context! It came out of nowhere. And they're all folded arms looking at GJ with stern looks, like waiting for him to mess up. It was a setup.

What MSM filth.

JK/SEA
09-08-2016, 07:55 PM
That there are.

so what have you done for liberty in the last 2 election cycles?...

r3volution 3.0
09-08-2016, 07:59 PM
so what have you done for liberty in the last 2 election cycles?...

The usual things - donated, volunteered, talked to friends and family, etc.

But perhaps the most important thing is what I haven't done.

...i.e. actively undermined the liberty movement by promoting charlatans like Trump.

Rule #1: Do no harm

phill4paul
09-08-2016, 08:04 PM

...i.e. actively undermined the liberty movement by promoting charlatans like Trump.

That's better than most and worth a +rep.

bubbleboy
09-08-2016, 08:05 PM
Crap, now Hillary will get his votes.

Son_of_Liberty90
09-08-2016, 08:07 PM

Yet oddly you endorse monarchy and world governments as long as they are the least democratic. Isn't supporting the third party candidate part of the democratic process?

Son_of_Liberty90
09-08-2016, 08:25 PM
Crap, now Hillary will get his votes.

Well there's still Jill Stein.

r3volution 3.0
09-08-2016, 08:30 PM
Yet oddly you endorse monarchy and world governments as long as they are the least democratic.

There's nothing odd about that at all.

I'm a monarchist because that is the form of government most likely to behave in a libertarian fashion. My support for world government (provided it is non-democratic) is likewise rooted in libertarianism (world government would mean the end of war, which is a major driver of state growth, and horribly unlibertarian in its own right). There's nothing contradictory in holding those views and supporting libertarian politicians - all are motivated by the same goal of advancing libertarianism.

euphemia
09-08-2016, 08:34 PM
Put a sane person on stage and even Boobus might start to see the light.

...can't have that.

And you won't as long as Johnson is on the stage. He just gets worse and worse.

Ender
09-08-2016, 08:56 PM
Most people don't know what Aleppo is. Even the papers and politicians that made fun of him had the wrong info.

I'm not voting for Johnson but I prefer an honest question/mistake like that to a candidate saying he knows more than American generals about ISIS and he has the best plan, the best.

euphemia
09-08-2016, 09:00 PM
They might have had wrong info regarding Johnson's gaffe, but it has been in the news for a while, and it's not all wrong.

silverhandorder
09-08-2016, 09:03 PM
Most people don't know what Aleppo is. Even the papers and politicians that made fun of him had the wrong info.

I'm not voting for Johnson but I prefer an honest question/mistake like that to a candidate saying he knows more than American generals about ISIS and he has the best plan, the best.

It shows GJ is not serious. The problem with this attack is that it is very light hearted. But it also reinforces the notion that he is not serious.

As much as Trump gets attacked and as much as people try to show him as not serious. None of that sticks. At least with me. I may not represent an avg Joe on the street. But I think I do.

Like the generals comment. You may not like it but it is a serious position.

Natural Citizen
09-08-2016, 09:04 PM
I'm a monarchist because that is the form of government most likely to behave in a libertarian fashion.

You have no business speaking on matters of Individual Liberty. None.

In fact, I was thinking of you specifically when I added that first paragraph to my sig line.

Son_of_Liberty90
09-08-2016, 09:04 PM

I'm a monarchist because that is the form of government most likely to behave in a libertarian fashion. My support for world government (provided it is non-democratic) is likewise rooted in libertarianism (world government would mean the end of war, which is a major driver of state growth, and horribly unlibertarian in its own right). There's nothing contradictory in holding those views and supporting libertarian politicians - all are motivated by the same goal of advancing libertarianism.

I'm skeptical whether Mises or Rothbard would endorse such a worldview.

farreri
09-08-2016, 09:06 PM
It shows GJ is not serious. The problem with this attack is that it is very light hearted. But it also reinforces the notion that he is not serious.
The candidates who are serious are the one's who frighten me the most.

Ender
09-08-2016, 09:08 PM

As much as Trump gets attacked and as much as people try to show him as not serious. None of that sticks. At least with me. I may not represent an avg Joe on the street. But I think I do.

Actually the generals comment scares the bejibbers outta me.

And Trump, as I recall, also needs a little help in geography. ;)

He once called the Belgian capital city Brussels “a hellhole,” but U.S. Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump has changed his tune.

“Belgium is a beautiful city,” Trump said during a rally in Atlanta, Georgia Wednesday.

It should be noted that Belgium is a country, not a city.

And, BTW, thanks for the reply- your POV is much appreciated.

Son_of_Liberty90
09-08-2016, 09:10 PM
The candidates who are serious are the one's who frighten me the most.

Then why were they so damn serious? Did you see their looks and body language? I thought at any minute they would start hissing at GJ. No "lightness" about it.

P3ter_Griffin
09-08-2016, 09:13 PM
You have no business speaking on matters of Individual Liberty. None.

In fact, I was thinking of you specifically when I added that first paragraph to my sig line.

haha, did you add an Anarchist symbol to your thingy, while you are supportive of coercive taxation and eminent domain?

P3ter_Griffin
09-08-2016, 09:17 PM
Par for the course for MSM. Hopefully it doesn't have to much of an impact. :(

Natural Citizen
09-08-2016, 09:18 PM
haha, did you add an Anarchist symbol to your thingy, while you are supportive of coercive taxation and eminent domain?

Show me where I was supportive of any of those things.

And I can put whatever I want on my "thingy."

P3ter_Griffin
09-08-2016, 09:24 PM
Show me where I was supportive of any of those things.

And I can put whatever I want on my "thingy."

How about you just deny those things, if that is the case. You know what I'm talking about. Get a fucking hobby.

Natural Citizen
09-08-2016, 09:25 PM
How about you just deny those things, if that is the case. You know what I'm talking about. Get a $#@!ing hobby.

Put up or shut up, punk. You made a claim. Support it. That's what men do.

I'll wait.

Son_of_Liberty90
09-08-2016, 09:26 PM
How about you just deny those things, if that is the case. You know what I'm talking about. Get a $#@!ing hobby.
Forcing a confession? That's not very libertarian.

"RENOUNCE THE UNHOLY GOVERNMENT, STATIST!" :p

Come on, all in good humor.

Natural Citizen
09-08-2016, 09:30 PM
Forcing a confession? That's not very libertarian.

"RENOUNCE THE UNHOLY GOVERNMENT, STATIST!" :p

Come on, all in good humor.

Leave P3ter_Griffin to me. He's mine. :)

P3ter_Griffin
09-08-2016, 09:35 PM
Put up or shut up, punk. You made a claim. Support it. That's what men do.

I'll wait.

Hold your breath.

RJ Liberty
09-08-2016, 09:36 PM

Absolutely.

http://i.imgur.com/zFIZneW.png

angelatc
09-08-2016, 10:41 PM
And you won't as long as Johnson is on the stage. He just gets worse and worse.

LibertyEagle
09-09-2016, 02:14 AM
Leessee- you posted that 9 times now?
WOW, is that all? I thought I had posted it at least 10 times.

And refused to acknowledge the meaning of hypothetical?
Not relevant to the point at hand.

How sweet.
Thank you. You are sweet too.

LibertyEagle
09-09-2016, 02:23 AM

:eek:

I think you have gotten libertarianism confused with communism, comrade.

alucard13mm
09-09-2016, 02:26 AM

I agree with you. As president, he should be mostly concern about the country.. not whats happening on the other side of the world.

dean.engelhardt
09-09-2016, 05:24 AM

The only candidate that has a sane foreign policy is considered "not serious"?

r3volution 3.0
09-09-2016, 07:43 AM
:eek:

I think you have gotten libertarianism confused with communism, comrade.

I think you don't know what either of those words mean, and couldn't reason your way out of a paper bag.

r3volution 3.0
09-09-2016, 07:52 AM
I'm skeptical whether Mises or Rothbard would endorse such a worldview.

Mises was a democrat, as were most classical liberals.

...one of the great tragedies of history: that liberals got caught up in promoting democracy, w/out realizing this would only help the socialists.

Rothbard, as an anarcho-capitalist, would presumably have been uninterested in comparing different forms of government in the first place.

...AFAIK, he never wrote anything about monarchy v. democracy.

Hoppe is pro-monarchy, ala "Democracy: The God That Failed," though he still believes that ancapism is possible, so that remains his first choice.

In any event, these are just arguments from authority.

RJ Liberty
09-09-2016, 07:56 AM

Possibly. There's suddenly been a lot more press coverage of Johnson, and for the first time, he is trending on Google News' front page. His Facebook page has 77,000 new Facebook likes, and the new moneybomb (https://www.johnsonweld.com/nyc_moneybomb) raised 600k overnight.

CaptUSA
09-09-2016, 08:04 AM
Possibly. There's suddenly been a lot more press coverage of Johnson, and for the first time, he is trending on Google News' front page. His Facebook page has 77,000 new Facebook likes, and the new moneybomb (https://www.johnsonweld.com/nyc_moneybomb) raised 600k overnight.

Yep. Unfortunately, this is what drives polls. It's "mentions". The content doesn't matter - as long as your name is mentioned by the media. The more they mention you, the more your poll numbers will go up. We saw it in 2012 is stark reality. It explains Trump. We'll see if Johnson can maintain the attention - I doubt it - but if he can, he will see the same bounce.

CPUd
09-09-2016, 08:18 AM
Polling released next week would confirm.

dean.engelhardt
09-09-2016, 08:25 AM
..., and the new moneybomb (https://www.johnsonweld.com/nyc_moneybomb) raised 600k overnight.

WOW

WTLaw
09-09-2016, 08:42 AM
For the record, I have heard of Allepo. I think, if given a written test on the subject, I would be able to identify it as being in Syria.

But that is with a pencil and paper, sitting down...not an oral exam where the guy pronounces it as if it were an acronym, and asks in an open ended way that would be more appropriately phrased as "what would you do about the crisis in Syria"...

It was obviously a trap, and for the trump people who constantly whine about the media and how unfair it is, they should admit it was so.

After all, the way they guy asked the question, he asked it as if Aleppo was the center of everything wrong in Syria...he asked it as if it were a familiar home town, where our interests lay, that are somehow superior to our interests in Damascus, or Raqqa, or any other Syrian town....it was a trap, and they knew it. The only indictment of Johnson at this point is that he has mannerisms that make him an easy mark, whereas some candidates would just vaguely walk into an answer on such a question, Johnson honestly wanted to answer the question so he tried to get his interviewer to give context.

JohnM
09-09-2016, 09:11 AM
Having had a little time to reflect on this, and I have come to a strange conclusion.

I've watched a few video clips of Johnson in recent months, and it seemed to me that he came over a lot better on this clip, despite the gaffe, than he did on most of the others. After watching this one, I thought "I could vote for that guy". Most of the others put me off voting for him.

JK/SEA
09-09-2016, 09:14 AM
Johnson was asked if he thought it was a 'gotcha' question, and he replied that it was not, and that everything is fair...

JohnM
09-09-2016, 09:16 AM
Yep. Unfortunately, this is what drives polls. It's "mentions". The content doesn't matter - as long as your name is mentioned by the media. The more they mention you, the more your poll numbers will go up. We saw it in 2012 is stark reality. It explains Trump. We'll see if Johnson can maintain the attention - I doubt it - but if he can, he will see the same bounce.

I agree.

People who had never heard of GJ have now heard of him. Most of them will remember the name and the face, but in 3 or 4 weeks will forget that he said something dumb. And a lot of those that remember he said something dumb won't care.

When I was younger and less experienced, I would have expected this to hurt him. Today, being older and more experienced, I suspect it will help him.

Madison320
09-09-2016, 09:40 AM
But does it really matter? You vote for the candidate, not the party.

To say "Parties mean absolutely nothing" would probably be a slight exaggeration, but only very slight. People who are libertarian in outlook have run for office in recent years under the banner of the Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, and Constitutionalist Parties.

I think having an established party is very important. It's a important part of the election process. Of course it would be a lot better if we didn't have a system that was rigged in favor of 2 parties.

WTLaw
09-09-2016, 10:12 AM
Johnson was asked if he thought it was a 'gotcha' question, and he replied that it was not, and that everything is fair...

Bear Bryant once said “If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, then we did it. If anything goes real good, then you did it. That’s all it takes to get people to win football games.”

Same type idea here, I think its nice for Gary to say it wasn't a gotcha question, but it clearly was the intention of the questioner to do that. He is taking responsibility for missing the question, which is a big gesture because the question was a gotcha.

JK/SEA
09-09-2016, 10:14 AM
Bear Bryant once said “If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, then we did it. If anything goes real good, then you did it. That’s all it takes to get people to win football games.”

Same type idea here, I think its nice for Gary to say it wasn't a gotcha question, but it clearly was the intention of the questioner to do that. He is taking responsibility for missing the question, which is a big gesture because the question was a gotcha.

for what its worth, and i won't support Johnson, but i agree it was a gotcha question...

JohnM
09-09-2016, 10:21 AM
it would be a lot better if we didn't have a system that was rigged in favor of 2 parties.

The system is the problem. I cannot think of any democratic country in the world which has a system as rigid a 2 party system as the US - though there probably are some. Even the UK, which has the most rigid 2 party system in Europe, is more open to minor parties than the US system.

I tend to take the view that having a libertarian party would be good idea in most European countries - but if you are serious about getting result, the way to do things in the US is to work through one of the major parties.

I always thought it was interesting that Ron Paul returned to the Republican Party. But even more interesting and important is the fact that he had a much bigger impact in his bid for the Republican nomination in 2008 than he did as the LP nominee in 1988.

WTLaw
09-09-2016, 10:39 AM
The system is the problem. I cannot think of any democratic country in the world which has a system as rigid a 2 party system as the US - though there probably are some. Even the UK, which has the most rigid 2 party system in Europe, is more open to minor parties than the US system.

I tend to take the view that having a libertarian party would be good idea in most European countries - but if you are serious about getting result, the way to do things in the US is to work through one of the major parties.

I always thought it was interesting that Ron Paul returned to the Republican Party. But even more interesting and important is the fact that he had a much bigger impact in his bid for the Republican nomination in 2008 than he did as the LP nominee in 1988.

Ultimately I think the GOP will be the vehicle for libertarianism, but I actually think we can promote that outcome by going outside of the GOP and building up the LP. Once the LP has a base of votes, and perhaps matching funds, the GOP will have to lean libertarian in order to do battle with the DNC.

09-09-2016, 10:57 AM

Go back and look at W's campaign platform and what he said while running. It really wasn't bad at all considering. It's post 9/11 things changed.

Madison320
09-09-2016, 11:05 AM
Go back and look at W's campaign platform and what he said while running. It really wasn't bad at all considering. It's post 9/11 things changed.

Republicans often say the right things about shrinking government, they just never follow thru after they get elected. I highly doubt 9-11 changed that.

undergroundrr
09-09-2016, 11:14 AM

As much as it seems like the same TPTB are taking us through the same rigmarole over and over again, the political landscape really does change over time. Human interactions are too chaotic to be totally controllable. Nobody knows when the right time will be for a liberty candidate or a liberty party. I have faith that every little bit every individual does to make it come to pass is worthwhile.

Ron Paul's success was shocking to me in 2008 and 2012. The LP's ascendancy is equally shocking to me now. Sometimes a spark is lighted.

nikcers
09-09-2016, 12:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_lZnB4GSsY

Xenliad
09-09-2016, 07:29 PM
This "gaffe" has me defending Johnson for probably the first time. Governor Ventura summed it up very well there ^

RJ Liberty
09-09-2016, 08:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_lZnB4GSsY

Nailed it!

AZJoe
09-09-2016, 08:13 PM
"What’s worse, momentarily blanking on the name of a foreign city or spearheading a failed CIA-directed regime change that displaced 10 million people and left more than 250,000 dead, many from that city? ...

As Clinton enjoys continual passes for causing the worst humanitarian crisis in the world, Gary Johnson is laughed at by the media for a single slip-up. What does it say about American politics when a presidential candidate who’s laid waste to a city through reckless foreign policy can laugh at a third-party candidate ... for briefly forgetting the city’s name? ...

a humble, ignorant president is preferable to a stubborn, murderous one."
http://dailycaller.com/2016/09/08/what-the-response-to-johnsons-slip-up-says-about-american-politics/#ixzz4JoZs9El9

farreri
09-09-2016, 08:23 PM
I don't know what A.L.E.P.P.O. is either. Arab League of Egypt, Palestine, Pakistan, & Oman?

Son_of_Liberty90
09-09-2016, 09:51 PM

I'm really confused how a world government of any kind can be libertarian in any way whatsoever.

How can absolute power be libertarian? Even if it would be possible, it's perpetuation would hinge on the incorruptibility of the absolute ruling power, which history deconstructs time and time again.

Son_of_Liberty90
09-09-2016, 09:52 PM
This was posted in the youtube video, I think it's great:

Yes there it goes. If only he lied to congress, the American People, threatened our intelligence apparatus, voted for several failed armed conflicts that killed hundreds of thousands and had a war criminal like Henry Kissinger as a friend and mentor we could forgive his lack of geography knowledge.

Ender
09-09-2016, 10:44 PM
"What’s worse, momentarily blanking on the name of a foreign city or spearheading a failed CIA-directed regime change that displaced 10 million people and left more than 250,000 dead, many from that city? ...

As Clinton enjoys continual passes for causing the worst humanitarian crisis in the world, Gary Johnson is laughed at by the media for a single slip-up. What does it say about American politics when a presidential candidate who’s laid waste to a city through reckless foreign policy can laugh at a third-party candidate ... for briefly forgetting the city’s name? ...

a humble, ignorant president is preferable to a stubborn, murderous one."
http://dailycaller.com/2016/09/08/what-the-response-to-johnsons-slip-up-says-about-american-politics/#ixzz4JoZs9El9

Agree.

nikcers
09-09-2016, 11:27 PM
Looks like GJ was right, they made a deal with Russia-. This was probably better then outright saying it though, because then they attack you for being pro Russian.

"Today the United States and Russia are announcing a plan which we hope will reduce violence, ease suffering and resume movement toward a negotiated peace and a political transition in Syria," Kerry said. "We are announcing an arrangement that we think has the capability of sticking, but it is dependent on people's choices."
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/0984a78bacee4f6d99ca7820d1ac9a24/officials-unsure-deal-kerry-arrives-syria-talks

Chieppa1
09-10-2016, 05:57 AM
Looks like GJ was right, they made a deal with Russia-. This was probably better then outright saying it though, because then they attack you for being pro Russian.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/0984a78bacee4f6d99ca7820d1ac9a24/officials-unsure-deal-kerry-arrives-syria-talks

But of course if you read the articles coming out about the deal, you would see that "the details of the deal are secret" and "both sides agreed not to make any documents public". John Kerry admitted, even argued, that one of the major "bedrocks" of the talks was that Russia STOP BOMBING Al Nusra in Syria. Which of course is Al-Qeada, the enemy of the actual American people, which the US Government is backing now.

So I hope Gary Johnson reads the details of this deal, like I hope most libertarians will. Since I consider us the most informed voting bloc, which is again why I expect more out of the "libertarian" running for President.

Jesse James
09-10-2016, 09:07 AM
Republicans often say the right things about shrinking government, they just never follow thru after they get elected. I highly doubt 9-11 changed that.
he sounded just like rand paul. do your research

AZJoe
09-10-2016, 12:50 PM
The New York Times makes an utter fool of itself; having to retract itself multiple times in its attempt to ridicule Johnson.
http://www.moonofalabama.org/2016/09/nyt-ridiculing-of-gary-johnson-failed-with-four-major-mistakes.html#more

In its initial article, NYT wrote,
“What is Aleppo?” Mr. Johnson said when asked on MSNBC how, as president, he would address the refugee crisis in the Syrian city that is the de facto capital of the Islamic State.

No. Aleppo is NOT the de facto capital of Islamic State. So NYT "corrected" their article to read:
“What is Aleppo?” Mr. Johnson said when asked on MSNBC how, as president, he would address the refugee crisis in the Syrian city that is a stronghold of the Islamic State."

NYT was wrong again. Aleppo is not a stronghold of the Islamic State. The largest parts of Aleppo and its population, are within Syrian government control. A small portion in the east is under ISIS control. So the NYT "corrected" the article once again to read:
“What is Aleppo?” Mr. Johnson said when asked on MSNBC how, as president, he would address the refugee crisis in the war-torn Syrian city.

Technically correct, but doesn't explain what significance there is to Aleppo. Other cities like Idlib and Raqqa have seen far more casualties.

Lastly, the NYT shows off its idiocy once again by completely botching its correction note which reads,
An earlier version of this article misidentified the de facto capital of the Islamic State. It is Raqqa, in northern Syria, not Aleppo, the Syrian capital.

Aleppo is NOT the Syrian capital, Damascus is.

So the NYT, New War Times, once again reveals itself to be utterly incompetent.

Read more: http://www.moonofalabama.org/2016/09/nyt-ridiculing-of-gary-johnson-failed-with-four-major-mistakes.html#more

Brian4Liberty
09-10-2016, 02:46 PM
The New York Times makes an utter fool of itself having to retract itself multiple times in its attempt to ridicule Johnson.
http://www.moonofalabama.org/2016/09/nyt-ridiculing-of-gary-johnson-failed-with-four-major-mistakes.html#more

In its initial article, NYT wrote,

“What is Aleppo?” Mr. Johnson said when asked on MSNBC how, as president, he would address the refugee crisis in the Syrian city that is the de facto capital of the Islamic State.

No. Aleppo is NOT the de facto capital of Islamic State. So NYT "corrected" their article to read:

“What is Aleppo?” Mr. Johnson said when asked on MSNBC how, as president, he would address the refugee crisis in the Syrian city that is a stronghold of the Islamic State."

NYT was wrong again. Aleppo is not a stronghold of the Islamic State. The largest parts of Aleppo and its population, are within Syrian government control. A small portion in the east is under ISIS control. So the NYT "corrected" the article once again to read:

“What is Aleppo?” Mr. Johnson said when asked on MSNBC how, as president, he would address the refugee crisis in the war-torn Syrian city.

Technically correct, but doesn't explain what significance there is to Aleppo. Other cities like Idlib and Raqqa have seen far more casualties.

Lastly, the NYT shows off its idiocy once again by copmpletely botching its correction note which reads,

An earlier version of this article misidentified the de facto capital of the Islamic State. It is Raqqa, in northern Syria, not Aleppo, the Syrian capital.

Aleppo is NOT the Syrian capital, Damascus is.

So the NYT, New War Times, once again reveals itself to be utterly incompetent.

Read more: http://www.moonofalabama.org/2016/09/nyt-ridiculing-of-gary-johnson-failed-with-four-major-mistakes.html#more

They don't care, they have no shame. They would ridicule him for not knowing how many parrots died during fighting in Hamar.

phill4paul
09-10-2016, 03:06 PM
Pretty sure Aleppo was one of the "Marx Brothers." I think he was the quite one.

r3volution 3.0
09-10-2016, 03:34 PM
How can absolute power be libertarian?

What does "absolute power" mean? How am I advocating for "absolute power"?

In any event, see here (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?494714-The-Dark-Enlightenment&p=6215090&viewfull=1#post6215090) for a concise summary of the libertarian case for monarchy.

AZJoe
09-10-2016, 04:32 PM
Aleppo Coverage Show Media in the Bag For Hillary Clinton
http://www.thelibertyconservative.com/aleppo-coverage-proves-media-bag-hillary-clinton/

“Remember when it was revealed that Hillary Clinton didn’t know what “C” stood for on e-mails? … She claimed confidential materials had never been sent over her private server, which was determined to be false. … more than a dozen mobile devices and that her aides regularly destroyed them. E-mails had been destroyed, even relating to Benghazi …

Instead of spending time swarming the Democratic presidential nominee for any of the above topics, scattered outlets briefly touched upon them and focused on distractions. ..

Now the mainstream media is all over Gary Johnson. … It’s become clear that the bulk of the mainstream media is in the bag for the left. … Does this explain why Johnson getting caught off guard is an enormous story that many pundits say has proven he’s not qualified to be President? Could the mainstream media possibly make it any clearer who they’re pulling for?” http://www.thelibertyconservative.com/aleppo-coverage-proves-media-bag-hillary-clinton/

phill4paul
09-10-2016, 08:16 PM
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/14192504_10100188565635555_8709058458956545718_n.j pg?oh=7292addb2e050dcf26a5e5c2a62caf03&oe=587D9368

nikcers
09-10-2016, 08:56 PM
Other politicians weigh in on Aleppo (https://www.reddit.com/r/Libertarian/comments/51yhyy/other_politicians_weigh_in_on_aleppo/)
We're all tired of hearing about Johnson's mistake. He got it wrong, but it's unfair to castigate him for his response without comparing him to other politicians. I reached out to several other politicians for their responses. Frankly, I think that Johnson comes off better than any of the others:

Barack Obama: There are no longer any American red lines in Aleppo. As I promised, I got all American red lines out of the Middle East.

Donald Trump: We've got a great hotel there. Best falafel bowls in the Middle East.

Hillary Clinton: Wiped off the map? What, like with a cloth?

surf
09-11-2016, 10:05 PM
I don't fucking care if Gary oopsed. he's more anti-war than the republicrat, and that's the most important issue there is today.

I'd like it if he were more military averse and talked about pulling back troops and closing foreign bases. perhaps he'll leave that task for secretary of state, Ron Paul.

eleganz
09-11-2016, 11:16 PM
Well whatever Aleppo momentum he had was totally destroyed by Hillary's (all)episode today...

Wow strangest election evar..

dannno
09-11-2016, 11:37 PM

I congratulate Gary Johnson on not staying up on all the mainstream war propaganda.

RJ Liberty
09-13-2016, 03:18 PM
Turns out the Aleppo media smear was much ado about nothing. A new poll announced today, from NBC (http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/data-points/poll-clinton-s-lead-narrows-among-independents-voters-nationally-n646911), has Johnson at 11%. The same pollster had Johnson at 11% (https://www.scribd.com/document/321277283/NBC-News-SurveyMonkey-Toplines-and-Methodology-8-8-8-14) a month before the Aleppo question. The media failed to cut into Johnson's poll numbers.