PDA

View Full Version : Univision debate will be BS if the time is on the "Honor System".

crasster
12-08-2007, 07:46 PM
The fairest debate yet was that one on PBS when they actually had a host that cut them off and divided questions. Of course, the crappy "top tier" did no go.

Whenever I hear the word "honor system" I roll my eyes. They do that every time and the other candidates get so much more time. There is no honor in them I guess.

Univision is independent from NBC, I've seen some posts that they are linked. Those are wrong. It's an independent station.

I honestly hope they come out with a freaking buzzer. Seriously. At least a red light, but a fat buzzer would be great. It may make Guiliani STFU.

Either that or I wish there would be warning lights then their mike would be cut off.

haha, to think actual FAIRNESS in a debate. Doubt we'll see that happen. I only hope they are fair.

Richie
12-08-2007, 07:50 PM
The fairest debate yet was that one on PBS when they actually had a host that cut them off and divided questions. Of course, the crappy "top tier" did no go.

Whenever I hear the word "honor system" I roll my eyes. They do that every time and the other candidates get so much more time. There is no honor in them I guess.

Univision is independent from NBC, I've seen some posts that they are linked. Those are wrong. It's an independent station.

I honestly hope they come out with a freaking buzzer. Seriously. At least a red light, but a fat buzzer would be great. It may make Guiliani STFU.

Either that or I wish there would be warning lights then their mike would be cut off.

haha, to think actual FAIRNESS in a debate. Doubt we'll see that happen. I only hope they are fair.

The PBS debate was pretty fair, but the AFA debate was the fairest. All of the candidates got equal time and everybody was invited. That's saying something, because the AFA scares me. None of the "front runners" showed up there either.

AlexMerced
12-08-2007, 07:52 PM
the honor system... make it feel like kidergarten, these arn't kids people, you can't trust them.

Ron Paul is the only one who abides by the honor system, and I know sometimes we wish he didn't, but thank god the guy is so good at sticking to his guns

ROn Paul, your my hero

Goldwater Conservative
12-08-2007, 07:52 PM
I prefer the honor system, but only if the moderator(s) can apply it and apply it fairly.

MozoVote
12-08-2007, 08:03 PM
I'm mentally prepared for this to be slanted like the other debates. But Hunter has a tougher line on illegal immigrants than RP does. It'll be interesting to see how much time HE gets, too.

jasonoliver
12-08-2007, 08:08 PM
I don't like this idea of a Spanish Debate.

I am with Tancredo on this. Who are they speaking too? If you can't speak English, how can you be informed on issues to vote?

The whole thing is a hit-job on Republicans who they will say are mean for not giving illegals free candy for coming across the border.

schmeisser
12-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Even Framk Luntz will tell you that when people go over their alloted time, they lose points with the viewers. Of course, that still reduces available time for front-runners like Ron Paul

Forefall
12-08-2007, 08:23 PM

I am with Tancredo on this. Who are they speaking too? If you can't speak English, how can you be informed on issues to vote?

The whole thing is a hit-job on Republicans who they will say are mean for not giving illegals free candy for coming across the border.

Not everyone that watches Univision cannot speak English. Tancredo is obviously a racist, and I'm getting a feeling some people here are too...

user
12-08-2007, 08:23 PM
I think it's Telemundo that is linked to NBC.

Hook
12-08-2007, 08:33 PM
I wish that they hooked up an electric fence power supply to the moderator's genitals and it went off if there was more than two minutes of running disparity of time between the candidates. And it stayed on for how many seconds of disparity. That would give the moderator an incentive to keep the times relatively equal. :D

jasonoliver
12-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Not everyone that watches Univision cannot speak English. Tancredo is obviously a racist, and I'm getting a feeling some people here are too...

I don't think he is Racist. Every newspaper/campaign/everything that deals with important issues in America and the World is in English.

If you cannot speak English well enough to watch an English debate, then you have no business voting. That is like me going to France, and to expect a debate in English. How would I be really informed about Public affairs in France if I lived there and didn't speak the language fluently enough to watch a French debate.

Mithridates
12-08-2007, 09:05 PM

It's an English debate, translated into Spanish.

The thing about second languages is that in most cases even if you're pretty good at them, they have a tendency to go over your head unless you're paying attention. The average legal immigrant with a good command of English still probably tunes it out when at home. A person's first language though has a tendency to just fly in there and stick, which is why a debate translated into Spanish is a good idea.

The other good thing about a debate translated into Spanish is that it makes good material for the media in both the Spanish and Portuguese-speaking world. There's going to be a Ron Paul Tea Party gathering in Strasbourg on the 16th with people from a whole host of European nations, and since we'll have a number of good Spanish clips before then it'll be easier for some of them to understand the message in Europe. Then tell their American friends they know there, and so on..

libertythor
12-08-2007, 09:08 PM

People all over Latin America will hear the Ron Paul message and realize that many of us don't want an empire.

Mithridates
12-08-2007, 09:11 PM
If you cannot speak English well enough to watch an English debate, then you have no business voting. That is like me going to France, and to expect a debate in English. How would I be really informed about Public affairs in France if I lived there and didn't speak the language fluently enough to watch a French debate.

France has regretted enshrining the French language in the constitution though, I think. They've always looked bad on language rights for Breton and Gallo.

Plus, if a country wants nothing to do with Spanish they should never make 100% Spanish-speaking places like Puerto Rico part of their territory. That's like taking part of Quebec and then being surprised later on that people from there want to hear a debate translated into French. Quelle surprise!

jasonoliver
12-08-2007, 09:11 PM
People all over Latin America will hear the Ron Paul message and realize that many of us don't want an empire.

NO, they would get mad at Ron Paul for bringing the troops home from Korea & Germany and putting them on the border - keeping their family from crossing the border.

Mithridates
12-08-2007, 09:19 PM
NO, they would get mad at Ron Paul for bringing the troops home from Korea & Germany and putting them on the border - keeping their family from crossing the border.

Not sure about that. I think it's pretty obvious that Ron Paul is a proponent of a lot of immigration, as long as it's legal:

# Voted YES on extending Immigrant Residency rules. (May 2001)
# Voted YES on more immigrant visas for skilled workers. (Sep 1998)

KingTheoden
12-08-2007, 09:56 PM

Absolutely. This is a prime opportunity for Ron Paul to communicate his message of non-interventionism to a new constituency. It would be foolish to forfeit this chance. It is a global problem we face, so it will require movements of liberty throughout the world. We have Tea Party friends in Europe, why not gain some new ones in Latin America?

Plus, if a country wants nothing to do with Spanish they should never make 100% Spanish-speaking places like Puerto Rico part of their territory. That's like taking part of Quebec and then being surprised later on that people from there want to hear a debate translated into French. Quelle surprise!

Si, bien sūr! I am not at all sympathetic to the reconquista element of those entering our country, but with that said it is necessary we face up to the history of our government meddling in Latin American affairs for the past hundred plus years. Whenever the Rockefeller family wanted a new plantation, we would dispatch the military to force some other nation to comply. I talked to a Marine veteran who served in Operation Just Cause (1989 invasion of Panama) who said that his post was to guard some road used by a Dole fruit plant. The reason given was to 'protect commerce.' Needless to say, he was pretty pissed (sadly he's pretty given to the Democratic Party :-( )

I do not support a national language as I do not see the Constitutional authority to do so. Similarly, I think bilingual education is pretty stupid because one needs to know English to be well educated in America. What people do in their own homes is their business really; if they want to speak Latin at home, what's wrong with that? I think that the best way to protect English is to promote good grammar and expansive vocabularies.

It is silly to blame Mexicans for the fact that the average white student has a working vocabulary of 1000 words (a little higher than an intelligent dog). We need promote education outside of government schools to protect and preserve our language.

Returning to the issue at hand, I think this can be a chance for Ron Paul to knock one out of the park. He is very level headed on the immigration issue as he opposes any sort of mass round up or massive wall. As he points out, if we fix the problem of welfare abuse, end withholding tax, and change our interventionist foreign policy, the problem with fix itself.

dircha
12-08-2007, 10:04 PM
The PBS debate was pretty fair, but the AFA debate was the fairest. All of the candidates got equal time and everybody was invited. That's saying something, because the AFA scares me. None of the "front runners" showed up there either.

Well, the problem with the AFA debate was the ridiculous amount of time devoted to to the True/False segment, where candidates would register a simple yes or no using a switch in response to loaded questions by guest special interest presenters.

The PBS debate was far and away the most fair - the only fair one - because everyone was invited, everyone got the same questions, and everyone got the same amount of time.

And Congressman Paul did very well at the PBS debate. Paul receives a higher percentage of minority voters than any other GOP candidate.

Corydoras
12-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Ron Paul deserves a little bell signaling him to stop. The others deserve a gong.

Mithridates
12-08-2007, 10:18 PM
I do not support a national language as I do not see the Constitutional authority to do so. Similarly, I think bilingual education is pretty stupid because one needs to know English to be well educated in America. What people do in their own homes is their business really; if they want to speak Latin at home, what's wrong with that? I think that the best way to protect English is to promote good grammar and expansive vocabularies.

It is silly to blame Mexicans for the fact that the average white student has a working vocabulary of 1000 words (a little higher than an intelligent dog). We need promote education outside of government schools to protect and preserve our language.

I definitely agree on that. The biggest danger to the English language in the next few decades is that it will morph into a worldwide pidgin like Tok Pisin or Bislama, considering that only 10% of the people in the world that use English know it as a first language, and that ratio is going down. With a weaker United States and a weaker command of the language by its people ("so whut if I don't know how to use an apostrophe and whatever? Only teacher's and grammaticitician's care about that") other countries might decide that well, perhaps we won't care about that so much either. Remove articles, change the spelling, etc. If English is being used as the language of commerce between India and Vietnam for example, nobody's really going to care about a few mistakes here and there.

Of course it might happen anyway, but I'd like people to be aware that the biggest danger to their language is the chance that it'll change into something else, not Spanish. That's what happened to Latin, and people (especially scientists and philosophers) made it worse by trying to purify the language towards what it used to be, making it even harder to learn and farther away from the general populace. And then it just passed away.

wisconsinite
12-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Univision's website shows 19 (YES 19 !!!!!!) Republican Candidates.

How the hell are any of them gonna get any time?