PDA

View Full Version : Europeans coming to aid - legal?

anarchy
12-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Is it legal for europeans to come and help your door-to-door efforts?

Air420
12-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Why wouldn't it be?

greves
12-08-2007, 06:42 PM
You're asking if it's legal for a European person to come to America and knock on someone's door?

If there's a law against that... well, then I guess we have even bigger problems to worry about.

anarchy
12-08-2007, 06:51 PM
I tought there might be some law against a non-american doing some political campaigning

Tyler19
12-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Can't they donate to the Ron Paul Blimp?

westmich4paul
12-08-2007, 06:54 PM
I tought there might be some law against a non-american doing some political campaigning

Only if your doing it for Rudy!

user
12-08-2007, 06:56 PM
I don't think things have gotten that bad yet.

anarchy
12-08-2007, 06:57 PM

Yeah can we donate for the blimp? I want to donate 10k

Unspun
12-08-2007, 06:58 PM

Don't worry about it. There is no law against it.

Paulitician
12-08-2007, 07:00 PM
The fact that it is even being brought up astonishes me, in a good way

greves
12-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Yes, you can donate to the blimp. It is a standard company, not a PAC, not a campaign contribution... You can buy a $10,000 car from the US can't you?

anarchy
12-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Yes, you can donate to the blimp. It is a standard company, not a PAC, not a campaign contribution... You can buy a $10,000 car from the US can't you?

So I can also buy all the keywords in google for all the other candidates and put a big ron paul advertisement on top of them? :D

mosquitobite
12-08-2007, 07:03 PM
Anarchy can you gather up a group of friends?

Imagine the press release:

Group of Europeans to travel to America to help grassroots Ron Paul supporters. :)

Bigboyen
12-08-2007, 07:03 PM

No - you have to confirm you are a "U.S.individual" to be able to buy an ad on the Blimp.

user
12-08-2007, 07:04 PM
I don't know, the blimp site makes you say you're a "U.S. individual." But it also says, "No limits for U.S. individuals." Does this mean non-U.S. individuals can donate with a limit or not at all?

Tyler19
Ill host some Europeans in Michigan!

anarchy
Anarchy can you gather up a group of friends?

Imagine the press release:

Group of Europeans to travel to America to help grassroots Ron Paul supporters. :)

Hell, I think everyone in europe is behind the guy if they would know him :)

govtpig
12-08-2007, 07:05 PM

I think Americans would love to know, face to face, how the rest of the world views our government.

My only concern is how the media would twist it into "European's changing the US election" or something like that.

anarchy
12-08-2007, 07:07 PM
I think Americans would love to know, face to face, how the rest of the world views our government.

My only concern is how the media would twist it into "European's changing the US election" or something like that.

I think if europe would vote on 'Do you think bush is a moron', it would be 99,9% yes.

user
12-08-2007, 07:07 PM
It would probably be better received in blue states than red states.

Bigboyen
12-08-2007, 07:08 PM
I'm going to Las Vegas the last two weeks before the election, and I would love to help. Then I have something to do when I'm not playing poker;)

Naraku
12-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Technically ad buys are individual contributions. I'm not sure foreigners can do that. Then again, it could just mean non-citizens can't donate as much. They should really clear that up.

rory096
12-08-2007, 07:27 PM
You can buy a car, yes, but you can't buy an ad in a newspaper for a candidate.

j6p
12-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Blue states will be are friend this year:) Ron's message is well recieved on the iraq issue.

TwiStEr
12-08-2007, 07:56 PM
you know ... I understand that some people feel suspicious of all those foreigners liking paul and wanting to donate and thus influencing your election. I would be too, if that happend here in Germany ...

but you have to understand this ... its like Ron says himself ... ITS THE MESSAGE!

It resonates with a lot of us over here too. Many politicians copycat US policies and we aswell start to see the ugly face of facism and want freedom restored. Look at the UK how much surveillance they have. Germany just passed a law that all phone calls land line and cell including the location you where in will be saved for half a year. Also every site you visted and email sent. So far its just to "protect" us from the terrorists, but the music industry has already stated their interest in that data. (it doesnt record the actual content of conversations and this law will be brought to our supreme court soon) .. back to my point ... we already have a Union as you know ... and I myself always liked the idea when I was still in school ... but I have changed my mind drastically lately seeing that the Union imposes laws that we have to obey and our courts cant rule on ....

Its the message, so dont feel threatened by us ... feel encouraged! We are all with you! We want you to succeed, we want you to win! Im proudly walking around in Berlin Germany with my Ron Paul Revolution shirt as much as I can. Yes i ve got one :)

Hence all those requests to donate by europeans and other nationals. We want to help. We want to be part of the revolution. I cant donate, I cant campaign to people, I cant go on the street with a sign .. yet I feel Im a part of this revolution. I talked to people I know in the US and got them going for Ron and Im trying to raise awarness here in the press and over the facebook script. Im doing what I can ...

Keep up all that work. Im sure we will surprise a lot of people come election day.

Regards, a freedom loving German!

Man from La Mancha
12-08-2007, 07:59 PM
A Ron Paul Blimp over Europe.

user
12-08-2007, 08:06 PM
you know ... I understand that some people feel suspicious of all those foreigners liking paul and wanting to donate and thus influencing your election. I would be too, if that happend here in Germany ...

but you have to understand this ... its like Ron says himself ... ITS THE MESSAGE!

It resonates with a lot of us over here too. Many politicians copycat US policies and we aswell start to see the ugly face of facism and want freedom restored. Look at the UK how much surveillance they have. Germany just passed a law that all phone calls land line and cell including the location you where in will be saved for half a year. Also every site you visted and email sent. So far its just to "protect" us from the terrorists, but the music industry has already stated their interest in that data. (it doesnt record the actual content of conversations and this law will be brought to our supreme court soon) .. back to my point ... we already have a Union as you know ... and I myself always liked the idea when I was still in school ... but I have changed my mind drastically lately seeing that the Union imposes laws that we have to obey and our courts cant rule on ....

Its the message, so dont feel threatened by us ... feel encouraged! We are all with you! We want you to succeed, we want you to win! Im proudly walking around in Berlin Germany with my Ron Paul Revolution shirt as much as I can. Yes i ve got one :)

Hence all those requests to donate by europeans and other nationals. We want to help. We want to be part of the revolution. I cant donate, I cant campaign to people, I cant go on the street with a sign .. yet I feel Im a part of this revolution. I talked to people I know in the US and got them going for Ron and Im trying to raise awarness here in the press and over the facebook script. Im doing what I can ...

Keep up all that work. Im sure we will surprise a lot of people come election day.

I was really touched by your post. Thanks for your help and support!

Adamsa
12-08-2007, 08:09 PM
"Need backup!"

"Call the Europeans!"

anarchy
12-08-2007, 08:28 PM
"Need backup!"

"Call the Europeans!"

Roger that.

TwiStEr
12-09-2007, 08:37 AM
I was really touched by your post. Thanks for your help and support!

im so glad to be part of it

Chester Copperpot
12-09-2007, 08:38 AM
The fact that it is even being brought up astonishes me, in a good way

EXACTLY

Ozwest
12-09-2007, 08:49 AM
Ron Paul is a world-wide phenomonom.

No inisolatialism. Free trade. Peace. Commerce.

Be nice.

Mark
12-09-2007, 09:14 AM

As I read it, yes.

As long as it's on a strictly volunteer, (not paid) basis.

h ttp://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/foreign.shtml

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Volunteer Activity by Foreign Nationals

Generally, an individual may volunteer personal services to a federal candidate
or federal political committee without making a contribution.

The Act provides this volunteer "exemption" as long as the individual performing the service is not compensated by anyone. 11 CFR 100.74 (http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/14feb20071500/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2007/janqtr/11cfr100.74.htm).

The Commission has addressed applicability of this exemption to volunteer activity by a foreign national, as explained below.

In Advisory Opinion 1987-25 (http://ao.nictusa.com/ao/no/870025.html),
the Commission allowed a foreign national student to provide uncompensated volunteer services to a Presidential campaign.

By contrast, the decision in AO 1981-51 (http://ao.nictusa.com/ao/no/810051.html)
prohibited a foreign national artist from donating his services in connection with fundraising for a Senate campaign. [2] (http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/foreign.shtml#ftn2)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mark
12-09-2007, 09:29 AM

As I read it, no, plus, their paralegal has said no as well.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=40239&page=2

"we will not be able to accept anything from foreign nationals."

It's because the blimp advertises for a political candidate.

Foreign Nationals CAN run apolitical ads

that do not endorse a candidate or attempt to influence an election.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nonelection Activity by Foreign Nationals

Despite the general prohibition on foreign national contributions and donations,
foreign nationals may lawfully engage in political activity that is not connected
with any election to political office at the federal, state, or local levels.
The FEC has clarified such activity with respect to individuals' activities.

In Advisory Opinion 1989-32 (http://ao.nictusa.com/ao/no/890032.html),
the Commission concluded that although foreign nationals could make disbursements solely to influence ballot issues,
a foreign national could not contribute to a ballot committee that had coordinated its efforts with a nonfederal candidate's re-election campaign.

In Advisory Opinion 1984-41 (http://ao.nictusa.com/ao/no/840041.html),
the Commission allowed a foreign national to underwrite the broadcast of apolitical ads
that attempted to expose the alleged political bias of the media.

The Commission found that these ads were not election influencing because they did not mention candidates,
political offices, political parties, incumbent federal officeholders or any past or future election. [3] (http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/foreign.shtml#ftn3)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pick an issue. Foreign Nationals can underwrite ads about it.

Mark
12-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Yeah can we donate for the blimp? I want to donate 10k

As previously posted, a direct purchase of ad time is prohibited.

You can donate to a Church or Charity
as long as it's not specifically under the stipulation of being done to influence an election.

However, most Churches and Charities are subject to IRS regulations
because of their 501(c)3 Status in order to offer tax deduction receipts for contributions.

However, a few are not regulated by the IRS,
such as The Order Of Melchizedek Inc, a Religious Organization in North Carolina.

We are not a 501(c)3 regulated Organization.

We chose "political involvement" instead of the Fed Tax Exemption.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.catholic.org/national/nat...y.php?id=24781 (http://www.catholic.org/national/national_story.php?id=24781)

nonprofit organizations can choose between political involvement or the federal tax exemption.

There is "not an absolute prohibition against political activity by tax-exempt organizations," they note.

"Rather, it is a condition placed on receipt of federal tax exemption.

Thus, an exempt organization has a choice between involvement in political campaign intervention and the benefits of tax exemption."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There will be more "sophisticated" methods of accepting donations coming soon

however, there's a ChipIn for us going on now, if you care to help.

http://toomchurch.chipin.com/please-help-our-church

You can contact me with any questions here:

RevMarkACahall@TheOrderOfMelchizedek.org

Mark
12-09-2007, 09:59 AM

Hence all those requests to donate by europeans and other nationals. We want to help. We want to be part of the revolution.

I cant donate, I can't campaign to people, I cant go on the street with a sign .. yet I feel Im a part of this revolution.

I talked to people I know in the US and got them going for Ron and Im trying to raise awarness here in the press and over the facebook script. Im doing what I can ...

Awesomely BEAUTIFUL!! We're ALL in this together! You ARE part of this Revolution!

It's a world wide movement!

As posted before, you CAN volunteer to campaign, here, there, everywhere!

Thanks so much for doing all you can!! We WILL surprise a lot of people!!!

The word is spreading!!

My Church is taking advantage of it's rare position to be able to campaign for a specific candidate.

We know how you feel.

Dr Paul is not only "Hope For America", he's "Hope For The World".

Mark
12-09-2007, 12:59 PM
bump for similar questions posted.