PDA

View Full Version : After LA floods, government proposes regulating rescuers.

Anti Federalist
08-24-2016, 08:35 PM
Government permits to get past the government goons preventing people from helping.

God, I hope this all burns down soon...this fucked up country is too sick to continue.

Lawmaker: Licensing for Cajun Navy not meant to limit, but empower

http://www.wwltv.com/weather/flooding/lawmaker-licensing-for-cajun-navy-is-not-meant-to-limit-them-but-rather-empower/305888717

NEW ORLEANS – The Good Samaritan who rescued hundreds, maybe thousands, of people during the 'Great Flood of 2016' said he was not happy after a state lawmaker announced he wants to introduce legislation around future actions by citizen heroes.

Some of these citizen heroes, a loosely-organized group called the 'Cajun Navy,' gained national attention for their rescue efforts last week, but that attention is nowhere near the pushback surrounding a lawmaker's proposal to require permits for citizen rescue groups.

For the Cajun Navy, it didn't matter if it was during day or night. People with boats took it upon themselves to save strangers, even when their own property was flooding.

Cajun Navy member Dustin Clouatre of St. Amant said he hopped into his pleasure skiff, and with others, they cleared out entire neighborhoods under water.

"For the most part, these people are not going to wait for assistance," Clouatre said. "They're doers."

Republican State Senator Jonathan "J.P." Perry of the Vermilion-Lafayette area said he is working on legislation that could require training, certificates and a permit to allow these Good Samaritans to get past law enforcement into devastated areas.

In a radio interview on News Talk 96.5 KPEL in Lafayette, Sen. Perry said it comes down to two main points for law enforcement officials.

“At the end of the day, there are going to be two things that are going to be the hurdle when you approach it from the state’s standpoint,” Sen. Perry said. “Liability is going to be number one for them. They don’t want the liability of someone going out to rescue someone and then not being able to find them, and secondly, there’s a cost.”

Perry continues by saying the liability issue could be solved by something like a waiver that boaters sign prior to a natural disaster.

Clouatre and members of the 'Cajun Navy' said they do not understand the regulations.

"How can you regulate people helping people? That doesn't make sense to me," Clouatre said.

Senator Perry did not return phone calls for a comment at the time this story aired on WWL-TV, but the senator took to Facebook Tuesday night to explain the logistics and reasoning behind his proposal.

"The intent of what I want to do is to completely un-regulate it to where our volunteers are not stopped from going out," Perry said in the video. "What's happening is, it's all getting twisted around like I'm trying to put a fee on it. I'm trying to tax it. I'm trying to require a permit."

Perry goes on to say if nothing changes, that is, if no legislation is passed, volunteers, like members of the Cajun Navy, will continue to get stopped and be prevented from attempting to rescue people, because, under current law, citizens who cross barricades or perimeters set-up by law enforcement face punishment for breaking the law.

(So how about change that law, you happy asshole. - AF)

Clouatre argues citizens like the Cajun Navy may know the flooded areas better than official rescuers who come in from out of town to help. Clouatre also said they often did things officials would not have been allowed to do.

Some other citizens said they are not opposed to taking a rescue safety course, but some said they believed it would be better if the course were offered through the private sector.

libertyjam
08-24-2016, 08:45 PM
It really is past time to start shooting the fuckers, the LE that stops people from helping when a car is drowning with someone inside, shoot that fucker in the head. Society doesn't need his kind any more than all the other nosy busybody pieces of crap out there.

John F Kennedy III
08-24-2016, 08:50 PM
Put em all in prison.

Anti Federalist
08-24-2016, 09:14 PM
Monopoly on heroes.

nobody's_hero
08-25-2016, 11:25 AM
Pretty stupid way to go about handling liability, by making it so no one can help without obtaining a license to help in a disaster that might happen once every 5 years.

I blame lawyers and politicians, and especially those who are both. People find liability in everything these days. Hell, I'll probably get sued for what I just said. I might even get sued because I said I might get sued. Let me just stop here.

Wait, what if I get sued for stopping?

euphemia
08-25-2016, 01:05 PM
I think I may have just heard it all.

Back in 1991 there was a very serious bus accident where a bus full of Girl Scouts went over a hillside. Seven fatalaties, dozens of injured. I think it was near where Sonny Bono lived, and he helped carry stretchers up the hill.

One of the stories I reacall from that incident is that the uninjured girls jumped into action helping assess injuries, giving what little first aid the could, and trying to help each other. It seems that they had everything organized and ready by the time the paid emergency personnel arrived.

This is not the article with that part of the story, but it at least tells what happened. Imagine being in a wreck and not being able to help people around you.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-08-01/news/mn-185_1_girl-scouts

mrsat_98
08-25-2016, 01:50 PM
Put em all in prison.

fing show me your affidavit or GTFO.

LRS 14 §372. Candidates for public office; filing of nonsubversive affidavits

No person shall become a candidate nor shall be certified by any political party as a candidate for election to any public office created by the constitution or laws of this state unless such candidate for certification by the political party shall have attached to the qualifying papers, the nominating petition or nominating papers filed with the appropriate party committee of this state or the secretary of state, whichever the case may be, a sworn affidavit that the candidate is not and never has been a communist or a subversive person as defined in R.S. 14:359. No qualification of candidates, nominating petition or nominating papers for such office shall be received for filing by the official aforesaid unless the same shall be accompanied by the affidavit aforesaid and there shall not be entered upon any ballot or voting machine at any election the name of any person who has failed or refused to make the affidavit as required above.

phill4paul
08-25-2016, 03:57 PM
Liability problem? Then pass a "Good Samaritan" law. We have one in N.C.

N.C.G.S. § 20-166 is a DOT law related to automobile accidents, but also provides an outline for limiting liability of good Samaritans in other emergency situations...Section (d) states that “any person who renders first aid or emergency assistance at the scene” of an accident, shall not be liable for civil damages unless the acts or omissions related to the services rendered amount to wanton conduct or intentional wrongdoing (i.e. gross negligence).

For once create a Gott-damned law that increases the freedom to help your fellow man why don't ya? (rhetorical)

Anti Federalist
08-25-2016, 04:14 PM
Liability problem? Then pass a "Good Samaritan" law. We have one in N.C.

For once create a Gott-damned law that increases the freedom to help your fellow man why don't ya? (rhetorical)

That still won't get you past the state heroes, who will block and arrest you for trying to help.

phill4paul
08-25-2016, 04:22 PM
That still won't get you past the state heroes, who will block and arrest you for trying to help.

It's one thing what H'oes do on dry land but they might want to watch it in the waters with these 'gators.

Danke
08-25-2016, 04:24 PM

Woman Drowns After Cops Threaten Rescuers With Arrest, Reportedly Fail to Attempt Rescue Themselves

http://reason.com/blog/2014/09/26/woman-drowns-after-cops-threaten-rescuer

Anti Federalist
08-25-2016, 04:24 PM
It's one thing what H'oes do on dry land but they might want to watch it in the waters with these 'gators.

What a tragedy that would be...

Anti Federalist
08-25-2016, 04:25 PM
Woman Drowns After Cops Threaten Rescuers With Arrest, Reportedly Fail to Attempt Rescue Themselves

http://reason.com/blog/2014/09/26/woman-drowns-after-cops-threaten-rescuer

God bless those boys in blue, keeping us all safe.

phill4paul
08-25-2016, 04:48 PM
God bless those boys in blue, keeping us all safe.

A Hero would really need to rethink his day if he wanted to try and stop me from helping someone. Really.