PDA

View Full Version : Question about donating

Dustancostine
06-30-2007, 11:08 AM
I probably won't be able to give more than $2300. But I was wondering if a donor gave $50 gold coins instead of cash, would the donation count as the $50 face value (it is legal tender) or would it count as the value of the gold content in dollars.

If we can give gold and silver coins instead that would open up the amount individuals could give Ron Paul and be extremely symbolic as well.

Thanks,
Dustan Costine

Noodles
06-30-2007, 11:09 AM
loophole :d

MozoVote
06-30-2007, 11:09 AM
If this loophole worked, you'd see people donating cars for $1 to the other campaigns.

Noodles
06-30-2007, 11:11 AM
If it's legal tender, they cannot refuse it.

yongrel
06-30-2007, 11:12 AM
wow, that's a keeper! I think it would be great if the man for sound monetary policy was fundraising for gold.

But sadly, I think that the campaign finance laws will prohibit this.:(

Dustancostine
06-30-2007, 11:13 AM
If this loophole worked, you'd see people donating cars for $1 to the other campaigns.

That is the difference. Cars are not legal tender and have $50 US dollars stamped into them by the treasury.

The more I think about it, the more I think it just might work.

ThePieSwindler
06-30-2007, 11:17 AM
We can still donate today via credit card and have it count, right?

Joe Knows
06-30-2007, 11:18 AM
We can still donate today via credit card and have it count, right?

That is correct. Go ahead and donate.

Dustancostine
06-30-2007, 11:26 AM
I've been googling and I can find nothing against it. Only articles that I find talk about the face value and that it is put on coins to make them legal tender so that they are not taxed when they are taken across borders and that no one ever uses them at face value because they are worth so much more.

Well I've made up my mind, I am donating with metals from here on out.

--Dustan

yongrel
06-30-2007, 11:29 AM
tell us how it works out, Dustan

MozoVote
06-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Even sending checks to a campaign is kind of a hassle for the staff... They need to be endorsed and taken to a bank, receipts balanced... Online is the most efficient. On top of that, I doubt the staff would get the best price for the metals.

This was the reason paper money originated in the first place. Gold and silver *certificates* were more convenient to move around, than the metal itself.

Original_Intent
06-30-2007, 11:43 AM
I don't think it is a good idea even if legal. The establishment candidates would take advantage of this loophole 100 times what Ron Paul could.

angrydragon
06-30-2007, 11:45 AM
I probably won't be able to give more than $2300. But I was wondering if a donor gave $50 gold coins instead of cash, would the donation count as the $50 face value (it is legal tender) or would it count as the value of the gold content in dollars.

If we can give gold and silver coins instead that would open up the amount individuals could give Ron Paul and be extremely symbolic as well.

Thanks,
Dustan Costine

Don't forget you can still give for the general election too.

Avalon
06-30-2007, 12:42 PM
If it's legal tender, they cannot refuse it.

Who is they? If you mean people whom you owe a debt to that is denominated in dollars I'd agree, but I'm unsure of the relevance of that here.

The IRS doesn't let you claim income based on face value (but realized or market value) via its regulations. The FEC is possibly similar. But maybe not.

Avalon
06-30-2007, 12:43 PM
I don't think it is a good idea even if legal. The establishment candidates would take advantage of this loophole 100 times what Ron Paul could.

Doesn't matter. If they can and want to they will utilize this loophole (if it exists) regardless of whether we do or not.