PDA

View Full Version : Wyoming Taxes the Wind, Maybe to Death

Suzanimal
08-22-2016, 03:16 AM
(Newser) – Unlike many states that subsidize alternative energy sources, in 2012 Wyoming became the first state to tax wind power. In the four years since, it hasn't even collected $15 million in revenue—perhaps partly due to the lack of major wind projects constructed since the tax was enacted, reports the Los Angeles Times. But now the state known for loose regulations and lack of taxes, is discussing raising its wind tax higher—just as construction is set to begin on a massive wind project that would power upward of 1 million homes throughout California and the Southwest. Called the Chokecherry and Sierra Madre Wind Energy Project, it's expected to cost $5 billion and produce up to 3,000 megawatts of power from its base in, well, Carbon County. "The benefits of wind are disproportionately on the West Coast, and the [social] costs of wind are disproportionately in Wyoming," says one state senator and economist on the state's revenue committee. "I think it’s just kind of a fair trade."

The CEO of the Power Company of Wyoming, which is planning the wind farm, says legislators are flirting with "taxing this project out of existence." Meanwhile, Gov. Matt Mead, who hasn't publicly taken sides, says Wyoming has "prided itself on being very business-friendly, including fewer regulations and low taxes." The Casper Star Tribune notes that opposition to a hike in wind tax is growing as people worry about stifling development. Local leaders support the project but not taxing it more, with the county planning director saying if Wyoming can finally sort out its tax policy, "That might be the shining light out of this." (On windy days, Denmark's turbines cover more than 100% of its energy needs.)

http://www.newser.com/story/229639/wyoming-taxes-the-wind-maybe-to-death.html

Occam's Banana
08-22-2016, 04:35 AM
I'm still wondering why sucking ginormous amounts of energy out of the atmosphere doesn't count as a "climate change" no-no ...

tod evans
08-22-2016, 04:42 AM
I'm still wondering why sucking ginormous amounts of energy out of the atmosphere doesn't count as a "climate change" no-no ...

Exactly!

Those turbines slow the winds that were intended to cool the ice caps...

Hence wind turbines kill polar bears and since polar bears are 'cute' and deserve protection the wind power advocates in Ca. must be sanctioned accordingly.

Convene panels and implement studies post haste, before another cute bear dies.

tod evans
08-22-2016, 04:48 AM
Stop Californians from exploiting the wind of Wy. and save the 'cute' bears!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/89/60/47/89604781a87cad1959bc3a96efd2ab8c.jpg

oyarde
08-22-2016, 09:49 AM
There are more polar bears now than ever.

tod evans
08-22-2016, 10:15 AM

Polar bear lives matter damn it.

TheTexan
08-22-2016, 10:20 AM

There aren't any in the south pole, however. (They walked off the edge)

oyarde
08-22-2016, 01:53 PM
Where I am , all bad weather fronts come from West to East , hence the saying Nothing Good Ever Comes From Illinois . I am not convinced Wyoming has the right to tax the wind , this should be challenged .

Dr.3D
08-22-2016, 02:22 PM
Exactly!

Those turbines slow the winds that were intended to cool the ice caps...

Hence wind turbines kill polar bears and since polar bears are 'cute' and deserve protection the wind power advocates in Ca. must be sanctioned accordingly.

Convene panels and implement studies post haste, before another cute bear dies.
Yeah, they could probably call them solar panels.