PDA

View Full Version : Gary Johnson Open To Mitt Romney Joining His Prospective Cabinet

AuH20
08-21-2016, 10:04 AM

angelatc
08-21-2016, 10:18 AM
Maybe Romney can help him organize the convention.

oyarde
08-21-2016, 10:22 AM
Pretty much a given if the GOP ever won a presidency again ( doubtful) that Romney would be offered something . Johnson and Weld kind of remind me of old NorthEast Republicans which is true for Romney as well.

VIDEODROME
08-21-2016, 10:52 AM
Interesting move.

Suzanimal
08-21-2016, 10:54 AM
“Hey, Mitt, we want you to endorse us,” Weld said, improvising the hypothetical conversation out loud. “And by the way, how’d you like to be secretary of state?”

http://beta.deseretnews.com/article/865660664/Gary-Johnson-wants-Mitt-Romney-and-Michael-Leavitt-in-administration.html

Origanalist
08-21-2016, 10:59 AM
Who's next, John McCain?

William Tell
08-21-2016, 11:01 AM
Who's next, John McCain?

Yeah. John McCain is the "original libertarian" when it comes to immigration. :rolleyes:

adissa
08-21-2016, 11:03 AM
LMAO.

Occam's Banana
08-21-2016, 12:20 PM
Who's next, John McCain?

They need to throw some red meat to the Libertarian base.

So Paul Ryan, I think ... (after all, he said he read Atlas Shrugged ...)

08-21-2016, 12:48 PM
I don't think Romney should be SOS. But there are other cabinet positions he is qualified for and would do a good job at based on his past record.

undergroundrr
08-21-2016, 12:51 PM
Laugh away. That could pretty much wrap up Utah. It could send ripples into Idaho, Nevada and California too. What if the LP wins a state?

Meanwhile, moderate republicans nationwide are pining for the days when they had a relatively reasonable candidate like Mitt Romney to vote for. The association is all-positive for that crowd.

And as an aside, while Ron Paul and trump have never connected, Ron and Mitt got along famously, not to mention Ann and Carol (https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/for-paul-and-romney-a-strategic-alliance-between-outsider-and-establishment/2012/01/20/gIQAf8foiQ_story.html).

DISCLAIMER: I have never been a political supporter of Mitt Romney in any way, shape or form.

euphemia
08-21-2016, 01:32 PM
Doing what?

Chester Copperpot
08-21-2016, 01:35 PM
if nothing else, Mitt was a gentleman to Ron. So maybe just for that and winning a state Id like to see this happen

Suzanimal
08-21-2016, 01:37 PM
Doing what?

I asked Johnson what role, if any, Romney might play in a Johnson-Weld administration. Although the Libertarian nominee seemed to doubt whether Romney would really be interested, he said the former Republican presidential nominee would be free to, in essence, choose his own adventure.

“I think [the position] would be for Mitt Romney to decide … and I say that with reverence to his skills as a business person and having run the Olympics.”...

euphemia
08-21-2016, 01:40 PM
So, basically, whatever.

RJ Liberty
08-21-2016, 02:24 PM
I'm no fan of Romney, but if this helps the LP win Utah, I'm all for it. Where Utah goes, so goes southern Idaho.

Johnson may, in fact, already be winning in Alaska: the ADN went to the expense of doing a poll there, and then... never released it, weirdly. Winning those three states, and possibly one electoral college vote in Maine or Nebraska, where the electoral votes can be split, could prevent either the R or D candidate from reaching 270 electorates. Then it goes to the House, who absolutely will not elect Hillary Clinton.

undergroundrr
08-21-2016, 02:29 PM
Then it goes to the House, who absolutely will not elect Hillary Clinton.

<shivers with delight>

Liberty friends, Johnson is the key to Clinton losing the White House.

Natural Citizen
08-21-2016, 02:31 PM
Heh. It figgers it'd be something like that.

Reminds me of what He and Weld were saying about Obama and Clinton the other day on CNN. Remember that?

CNN: All right. Governor Johnson, let's do some word association here. I'll say the name, you hit me with the first thing that comes to mind.

CNN: President Barack Obama?

JOHNSON: Good guy.
CNN: Governor Weld?
WELD: Barack Obama? I think he's been statesman-like the last couple of years.

CNN: Hillary Clinton?

JOHNSON: Hillary Clinton, a wonderful public servant...
WELD: Old friend. Nice kid. Knew her in her 20s. We shared an office in the Nixon impeachment, real bond, lifelong.

undergroundrr
08-21-2016, 02:38 PM
Reminds me of what He and Weld were saying about Obama and Clinton the other day on CNN. Remember that?

Which is why they take more votes from Clinton than trump. They are a valid option for moderate liberals and moderate conservatives. They're not divisive demagogues.

Natural Citizen
08-21-2016, 02:45 PM
Which is why they take more votes from Clinton than trump.

I disagree. I think it's taken more from Trump than Clinton.

End of the day, what's happening is that the traditional single Party that has functioned as two Parties has expanded to a single Party functioning as three Parties now. That's the more relative factor.

No way after the record 2014 Mid-Term Independent and Third Party turnout that the establishment didn't notice it and wasn't going to respond. And here we are. We're live. Not sure if the establishment Party will send a Thank You for the assist card to the Libertarian Party or not. Doubtful thyat they'll send that card given that the establishment Party is a card carrying member of the 4F club.

undergroundrr
08-21-2016, 02:54 PM
I disagree. I think it's taken more from Trump than Clinton.

In the cold, hard light that's not the case.

Right now, pollsters that include Johnson and, less frequently, Stein are showing Clinton with a slightly smaller lead than pollsters that test only Trump and Clinton. You can see this by looking at the national polls taken since June 1. According to the FiveThirtyEight polling database, 18 pollsters have taken a national poll that asked about the presidential race with only Clinton and Trump offered as an option and in a separate question asked about the race with at least Johnson included. Here is the average margin by which Clinton is ahead of Trump in those polls, with and without third-party options...

... The majority of pollsters (12) have Clinton’s margin over Trump shrinking when at least one third-party candidate is included. The difference in margins, however, varies among pollsters, and a few, such as Ipsos, have Clinton’s lead rising by the tiniest of bits when at least Johnson is included. Overall, including third-party candidates takes about 1 percentage point away from Clinton’s margin, on average.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-is-gary-johnson-taking-more-support-from-clinton-or-trump/

Natural Citizen
08-21-2016, 02:56 PM
Again...

End of the day, what's happening is that the traditional single Party that has functioned as two Parties has expanded to a single Party functioning as three Parties now. That's the more relative factor.

No way after the record 2014 Mid-Term Independent and Third Party turnout that the establishment didn't notice it and wasn't going to respond. And here we are. We're live. Not sure if the establishment Party will send a Thank You for the assist card to the Libertarian Party or not.

r3volution 3.0
08-21-2016, 03:03 PM
Laugh away. That could pretty much wrap up Utah. It could send ripples into Idaho, Nevada and California too. What if the LP wins a state?

Meanwhile, moderate republicans nationwide are pining for the days when they had a relatively reasonable candidate like Mitt Romney to vote for. The association is all-positive for that crowd.

And as an aside, while Ron Paul and trump have never connected, Ron and Mitt got along famously, not to mention Ann and Carol (https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/for-paul-and-romney-a-strategic-alliance-between-outsider-and-establishment/2012/01/20/gIQAf8foiQ_story.html).

DISCLAIMER: I have never been a political supporter of Mitt Romney in any way, shape or form.

Agreed

undergroundrr
08-21-2016, 03:17 PM

No way after the record 2014 Mid-Term Independent and Third Party turnout that the establishment didn't notice it and wasn't going to respond. And here we are. We're live. Not sure if the establishment Party will send a Thank You for the assist card to the Libertarian Party or not. Doubtful thyat they'll send that card given that the establishment Party is a card carrying member of the 4F club.

I understand why you feel this way. But seeing Gary Johnson explain the NAP to progressives and exhort that "we need to stop these wars" on national TV makes me think differently.

“The future is small government, the future is no one dying in foreign interventions.” - Gary Johnson

Natural Citizen
08-21-2016, 03:26 PM
But seeing Gary Johnson explain the NAP to progressives and exhort that "we need to stop these wars" on national TV makes me think differently.

“The future is small government, the future is no one dying in foreign interventions.” - Gary Johnson

Yeah, I can't disagree with that.

BUTSRSLY
08-21-2016, 04:22 PM
YES, MIT WAS ALWAYS DETESTABLE. HE WANTED PRESIDENCY BY LAWYERING COMMITTEE, AND CAME OFF AS PROBABLY NOT MY TYPE OF COUNTRY CLUB, AND SOMETHING ABOUT A DOG. AND HE DIDN'T DROP OUT TO ENDORSE RON. OTHER THAN THAT, PROBLY JUST A RUN OF THE MILL DOUCHE THOUGH, TO BE HONEST.

Danke
08-21-2016, 05:37 PM
Secretary of Health and Human Services

Suzanimal
08-21-2016, 05:40 PM
Secretary of Health and Human Services

USDA

Pet Travel
Are you travelling to or from another country and bringing along Fluffy or Fido? You’ll need to meet the animal health requirements of the country you are visiting. This can involve getting a health certificate, updating vaccinations, completing disease testing, and having your paperwork reviewed and endorsed by APHIS.
Travel with your Pet

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/banner/contactus

r3volution 3.0
08-21-2016, 05:51 PM
Palin for Sec. of Makin' Sammiches

Origanalist
08-21-2016, 07:29 PM
Palin for Sec. of Makin' Sammiches

Only if she wears a French maid outfit.

Origanalist
08-21-2016, 08:15 PM
It sounds like another liberty stalwart may be on board.

Republican Sen. Susan Collins: "I'm taking a look at the Libertarian ticket"
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/republican-sen-susan-collins-im-taking-a-look-at-the-libertarian-ticket/

AZJoe
08-21-2016, 09:18 PM
On Friday, former Gov. Gary Johnson offered a guarantee.

“If Mitt Romney wants to be a part of the administration, that would be a guarantee.”

http://beta.deseretnews.com/article/865660664/Gary-Johnson-wants-Mitt-Romney-and-Michael-Leavitt-in-administration.html

4_God_N_Country
08-21-2016, 10:47 PM
the douche nozz level of Johnson just went from a 10 to an 11.

phill4paul
08-21-2016, 10:50 PM

Trump level?

phill4paul
08-21-2016, 10:57 PM

When has Trump proposed anything about God, ya douche nozz? July 2016 member status and a Trump avatar, SMDH. What would ever bring you to a Ron Paul site in 2016. Where were you in '08 or '12. You lead a pathetic life to come here in this manner.

4_God_N_Country
08-21-2016, 11:04 PM
When has Trump proposed anything about God, ya douche nozz? July 2016 member status and a Trump avatar, SMDH. What would ever bring you to a Ron Paul site in 2016. Where were you in '08 or '12. You lead a pathetic life to come here in this manner.

Ive been a RP supporter since 2010. I'm a full on Libertarian so it makes sense for me to be here. I'm not sure where you are getting the religious mentions from?

RP and Trump have a lot in common, along with Assange and that guy in your avatar ... they are the biggest Truthers on the planet and they are taking down the NWO step by step a day at a time. They all have different methods but I admire all of their efforts.

4_God_N_Country
08-21-2016, 11:35 PM
For me Trump is much more Libertarian than Johnson.

Occam's Banana
08-22-2016, 01:47 AM

To what effect? The reformation of the LP into a vehicle for disaffected Rockefeller Republicans?

If that is what "winning" means, then I'd much rather "laugh away" than "win" ... (though crying might be more appropriate ...)

[S]eeing Gary Johnson explain the NAP to progressives and exhort that "we need to stop these wars" on national TV makes me think differently.

Which of his policy positions has he staked out in terms of the NAP?

If none, then it is a thing from which nothing follows - so what is the point?

If any, then how has he reconciled them with his positions which conflict with the NAP?

And what is any thinking and curious non-libertarian to make of such "nonapropisms" or contradictions?

Danke
08-22-2016, 01:56 AM

http://15130-presscdn-0-89.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/trump-hands-head.jpg

cindy25
08-22-2016, 05:22 AM
this is Romney's last chance at a cabinet post; by 2020 he will be too old. Nothing wrong with Johnson saying this, he wants Utah (badly). winning a state, or getting over 5% nationally is good for future Libertarian nominees. there is a need for a viable 3rd party

CaptUSA
08-22-2016, 05:36 AM
Ive been a RP supporter since 2010. I'm a full on Libertarian so it makes sense for me to be here. I'm not sure where you are getting the religious mentions from?

RP and Trump have a lot in common, along with Assange and that guy in your avatar <Snowden> ... they are the biggest Truthers on the planet and they are taking down the NWO step by step a day at a time. They all have different methods but I admire all of their efforts.

You are very, very confused. (or perhaps satire??? It's hard to tell the difference, anymore. Most Trump supporters come off sounding like satire.)

adissa
08-22-2016, 06:13 AM
On Friday, former Gov. Gary Johnson offered a guarantee.

“If Mitt Romney wants to be a part of the administration, that would be a guarantee.”

http://beta.deseretnews.com/article/865660664/Gary-Johnson-wants-Mitt-Romney-and-Michael-Leavitt-in-administration.htmlWhat an idiot

Athan
08-22-2016, 08:06 AM
This year, Johnson did everything to lose my respect and make me think him senile.

angelatc
08-22-2016, 08:50 AM
if nothing else, Mitt was a gentleman to Ron. So maybe just for that and winning a state Id like to see this happen

If it wasn't for the convention, I would have agreed with you there. On a certain level I like Mitt Romney. He seems to be a decent man. But what they did to the delegates at the convention is inexcusable.

angelatc
08-22-2016, 08:52 AM

If by LIbertarian, you mean loud and obnoxious with no clear direction, I agree.

NewRightLibertarian
08-22-2016, 09:11 AM
If the Johnson/Weld ticket doesn't fail abysmally, it will be the final death blow for the liberty movement. I can't believe it has fallen so far so quickly, but it is in fact the case. Ron Paul never should have left the spotlight, in retrospect .Good thing the populist right hasn't blown it so pathetically, so liberty-minded folks still have options.

r3volution 3.0
08-22-2016, 09:55 AM
Only if she wears a French maid outfit.

I think you mean a Freedom maid outfit.

eleganz
08-23-2016, 06:22 PM

RP and Trump have a lot in common, along with Assange and that guy in your avatar ... they are the biggest Truthers on the planet and they are taking down the NWO step by step a day at a time. They all have different methods but I admire all of their efforts.

Lolwut? In regards to Snowden, Trump wants to kill the 'traitor'.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jul/2/donald-trump-edward-snowden-kill-traitor/

Athan
08-25-2016, 08:13 AM
If the Johnson/Weld ticket doesn't fail abysmally, it will be the final death blow for the liberty movement. I can't believe it has fallen so far so quickly, but it is in fact the case. Ron Paul never should have left the spotlight, in retrospect .Good thing the populist right hasn't blown it so pathetically, so liberty-minded folks still have options.

The liberty movement isn't dead. It has mostly shifted to the alt-right. Because too many libertarians like Johnson think being libertarian means letting statist do whatever they want and not fighting them, defeating them, and kicking them out. We KNOW where are problems are in this country are now thanks to Ron Paul, but we shouldn't be regulated ideologically to simply bitch about them.

NewRightLibertarian
08-25-2016, 08:24 AM
The liberty movement isn't dead. It has mostly shifted to the alt-right. Because too many libertarians like Johnson think being libertarian means letting statist do whatever they want and not fighting them, defeating them, and kicking them out. We KNOW where are problems are in this country are now thanks to Ron Paul, but we shouldn't be regulated ideologically to simply bitch about them.

The alt right or populist right has a lot of the fire and enthusiasm that the old Ron Paul revolution and initial tea party movement had. I just hope they don't blow it, and aren't overtaken by extreme nationalism.

euphemia
08-25-2016, 09:20 AM
Here is a big, red flag for you all. Johnson is not a libertarian. He has said he will nominate mostly liberal judges. Now he is telling us the kind of people he wants as part of his administration. This is exactly what I have been telling you. The wealthy and powerful have been working very hard to concentrate the wealth and power with them. This is one more example that Johnson wants to keep concentrating wealth and power among the donor class.

fcreature
08-25-2016, 10:19 AM
Romney is a much better cabinet option than half the proposed people in a Trump administration.

euphemia
08-25-2016, 10:23 AM
That's not the point. Romney has no liberty principles. Johnson is tossing a bone to establishment Republicans.

fcreature
08-25-2016, 10:49 AM
That's not the point. Romney has no liberty principles. Johnson is tossing a bone to establishment Republicans.

...so what?

I thought that's okay since candidates have to do what they have to do to get elected, right?

I mean I know that Trump supporters said throughout this entire process that the reason they like Trump is because he "tells it like it is". Well that is, until he doesn't (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?499971-Trump-quot-Obama-got-tremendous-numbers-of-people-out-of-the-country-I-m-gonna-do-the-same-quot). But when that happens it's okay that he's "softening" his stance since he's gotta get elected.

And since when has this election been about principles? I sure wish that were actually the case. Why is it that these types of expectations only apply to "libertarians"? Why are you infinitely harsher on Gary Johnson than you are Trump? Are we upset that the Libertarian party didn't nominate John McAfee?

Hell, there are probably a couple cabinet positions in which Romney would actually be a good fit, given what experience he has had in life.

euphemia
08-25-2016, 11:00 AM
I'm not harsher on Johnson. He's not a Libertarian, and if he is calling himself one, and he's deceiving people into thinking he is going to be different than other Presidents, then he is not telling the truth. He keeps putting these stupid things out there, so I am commenting, as is my right to do. Johnson embraces a lot of positions that are not liberty positions. I am just agape that so many liberty minded people are not listening to what Johnson says. Please do not be blind to what Johnson says. He fully intends to take away liberty and expand government. He has made it very clear.

I'm in favor of Darrell Castle, if that somehow got missed along the way.

undergroundrr
08-25-2016, 11:30 AM
I'm not harsher on Johnson. He's not a Libertarian, and if he is calling himself one, and he's deceiving people into thinking he is going to be different than other Presidents, then he is not telling the truth. He keeps putting these stupid things out there, so I am commenting, as is my right to do. Johnson embraces a lot of positions that are not liberty positions. I am just agape that so many liberty minded people are not listening to what Johnson says. Please do not be blind to what Johnson says. He fully intends to take away liberty and expand government. He has made it very clear.

I'm in favor of Darrell Castle, if that somehow got missed along the way.

I'm in favor of Darrell Castle too. He's a wonderful man and a sterling libertarian. I would rather he was president of the US than Gary Johnson.

I'm not sure Castle is an effective candidate though. Nobody is posting positive articles about Darrell Castle, making strong cases why he deserves our vote, etc.

The Constitution Party is not trying, and neither are their advocates. There is no news about Castle. Ballot access is a joke and they're not even really fighting for that as far as I can tell. In Idaho, the Constitution Party will be on the ballot, but Darrell Castle won't! Idaho has a totally different CP nominee (http://www.rexburgstandardjournal.com/news/idaho/idaho-to-have-different-constitution-party-nominee/article_e2dbb936-68ab-11e6-bf07-63eb87b6ae01.html).

In fact, the post you're reading may be the most substantial post about Darrell Castle on RPF since he was nominated.

Gary Johnson is doing great stuff out there. I care very much about smoking in restaurants (when was that dug up from, 2011?) and cake baker freedoms, and that small iron foundries aren't put out of business by a carbon tax, and that we don't put boots on the ground in a humanitarian war against Kony. But before McMullin/Kristol, I would have told you Gary Johnson is the one hope that neither trump nor Hillary will be elected, not by winning outright, but by denying an electoral majority to either candidate. And I LOVE when he talks about the NAP, getting out of Afghanistan, shrinking government, keeping government out of your bedroom, ending the drug war, etc. Never has someone with as much electoral clout in a general election spoken the libertarian message so clearly as Gary Johnson has. Cherry-pick if you like, but purposefully denying the broad sweep of his message isn't doing yourself or liberty any favors.

All this carrying on is just debate among some buddies on a web forum. Gary Johnson wasn't shot down by the libertarian circular firing squad, or by unwise statements, or even by trump. He was shot down by Bill Kristol, because unlike trumplary, Gary Johnson actually posed a substantial threat to the establishment. I hope and pray there's somebody representing liberty in 2020 at least as effective as Gary Johnson has been. That is absolutely not a given.

euphemia
08-25-2016, 12:38 PM
I despise Bill Kristol. He is desperately trying to hang on to his camera time.