PDA

View Full Version : From the CEO of MEETUP.COM, Introducing Meetup Alliance

symtex411
12-08-2007, 04:18 PM
"Meetup Alliance is a free platform that helps local real-world groups team up to share ideas, coordinate efforts and make good things happen."

"Great groups form great Alliances. Learn how Meetup.com can also help you start a great local group."

http://www.meetupalliance.com/RonPaul2008

This is how to get all the RP Meetup Groups joined together in one place on one common ground.

Here is the video of the CEO talking about it

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EIf0GxuWt7k

Now we can have all the Social Meeting Groups working together. This site can include Facebook, MySpace, Meetup, Google and Yahoo groups.

The groups are starting to flood in, lets use this site to our grassroots advantage. Go Ron Paul!

-Josh

francisco
12-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Meetup Alliance is a free platform that helps local real-world groups team up to share ideas, coordinate efforts and make good things happen.

Great groups form great Alliances. Learn how Meetup.com can also help you start a great local group.

http://www.meetupalliance.com/RonPaul2008

This is how to get all the RP Meetup Groups joined together in one place on one common ground.

Here is the video of the CEO talking about it

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EIf0GxuWt7k

Now we can have all the Social Meeting Groups working together. This site can include Facebook, MySpace, Meetup, Google and Yahoo groups.

The groups are starting to flood in, lets use this site to our grassroots advantage. Go Ron Paul!

-Josh

Is this as huge as I think it is?

symtex411
12-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Yes, this can literally bring together all the Ron Paul supporters across all platforms. This is going to become the centralized hub for directing grassroot efforts for Ron Paul.

PatriotOne
12-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Does this mean what I think it means? We now have a way to communicate to all groups without contacting them seperately? If so..fan-fricken-tastic! I have written twice to MeetUp.com about this and am thrilled to see the accomodation.

PatriotOne
12-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Yes, this can literally bring together all the Ron Paul supporters across all platforms. This is going to become the centralized hub for directing grassroot efforts for Ron Paul.

Are you from meetup.com or just bringing us the good news :)?

miamiist
12-08-2007, 04:33 PM
I agree. It's not an understatement to say that this has tremendous potential for RP supporters.

symtex411
12-08-2007, 04:33 PM
I just bring good news. I wish I had more of a hand in this. I have been waiting for this to be released so we can capitalize on it ASAP. Time is of the essence! I was the 3rd group to join. :D And now I am making it my job to start the spread of the word.

PatriotOne
12-08-2007, 04:36 PM
Thanks for bringing the good news. Ths is definately an advantage for us all.

I was reading the FAQ's and saw this:

What is preview mode?

Because we are still ironing out kinks in the registration process, Alliances can only be created by invitation at the moment. We're starting with about 50 Charter Alliances. Early next year we'll launch to the public.

We are one of the "chosen" ones :-)

ronpaulyourmom
12-08-2007, 04:37 PM
I just bring good news. I wish I had more of a hand in this. I have been waiting for this to be released so we can capitalize on it ASAP. Time is of the essence! I was the 3rd group to join. :D And now I am making it my job to start the spread of the word.

Keep it up!

PatriotOne
12-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Whoot!

What is the mailing list and how does it work?

If the Alliance Organizer has enabled a mailing list for the Alliance, he or she and all local group contacts are automatically added to the list. Anyone on the list can send a message which will go to everyone on the list. Replies to the list will also go to everyone, not just the sender. If you no longer want to receive messages from the mailing list, you can leave the Alliance.

symtex411
12-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Whoot!

If the Alliance Organizer has enabled a mailing list for the Alliance, he or she and all local group contacts are automatically added to the list. Anyone on the list can send a message which will go to everyone on the list. Replies to the list will also go to everyone, not just the sender. If you no longer want to receive messages from the mailing list, you can leave the Alliance.

Plus the RSS feed is awesome!

jonahtrainer
12-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Does this mean what I think it means? We now have a way to communicate to all groups without contacting them seperately? If so..fan-fricken-tastic! I have written twice to MeetUp.com about this and am thrilled to see the accomodation.

If they are smart they will make it so that MeetUp Organizers will be able to join MeetUps with their own MeetUp groups. Just like individuals make up a MeetUp group a MeetUp group can make up a larger Group. Also, the ability for a MeetUp Group to 'split' into smaller MeetUp groups would be advantageous.

So, you could have a Homeschool MeetUp Organizer (that has 10 members all students) join the City Homeschool MeetUp Group that has an organizer with 10 MeetUp Groups (with their own organizers) with 10 students each.

This is literally like forming a body (atoms, cells, tissues, muscles, etc.). Such groups will be incredibly flexible and a powerful force to be reckoned with.

Technology like this is redefining the political process. Just thinking of the possibilities is amazing. Combining RSS, podcasting and video podcasting with this .... shesh.

PatriotOne
12-08-2007, 05:05 PM
If they are smart they will make it so that MeetUp Organizers will be able to join MeetUps with their own MeetUp groups. Just like individuals make up a MeetUp group a MeetUp group can make up a larger Group. Also, the ability for a MeetUp Group to 'split' into smaller MeetUp groups would be advantageous.

So, you could have a Homeschool MeetUp Organizer (that has 10 members all students) join the City Homeschool MeetUp Group that has an organizer with 10 MeetUp Groups (with their own organizers) with 10 students each.

This is literally like forming a body (atoms, cells, tissues, muscles, etc.). Such groups will be incredibly flexible and a powerful force to be reckoned with.

Technology like this is redefining the political process. Just thinking of the possibilities is amazing. Combining RSS, podcasting and video podcasting with this .... shesh.

I think that is exactly what they did do. As a matter of fact, I see other Alliances there that we can request to join our alliance like the Libertarian Party Alliance, John Birch Society Alliance, and maybe a couple more.

At some point, when this thing goes public, we can become bigger than the Republican or Democratic Parties themsleves ;) WE can become more powerful than any lobby :D

Melissa
12-08-2007, 05:06 PM
[

Technology like this is redefining the political process. Just thinking of the possibilities is amazing. Combining RSS, podcasting and video podcasting with this .... shesh.[/QUOTE]

ok i understood till this part I am a meetup organizer and was looking at the site to see if I want to join and it looks great for keeping my group but seeing what is going on Nationally but not a computer junkie to understand your last statment:confused:

Menthol Patch
12-08-2007, 05:17 PM
This sounds awesome!

The FIRST item of business needs to be the TEA PARTY!

greves
12-08-2007, 05:18 PM
I've applied, let me in! I applied 30 seconds ago from Amsterdam, I hope that whoever reads applications does so on a 24-hour basis for the next few days!

PatriotOne
12-08-2007, 05:24 PM
I've applied, let me in! I applied 30 seconds ago from Amsterdam, I hope that whoever reads applications does so on a 24-hour basis for the next few days!

You've applied personally or you have a Meet-Up goup in Amsterdam that applied? I only ask because I am not sure how this whole thing works yet myself.

Menthol Patch
bump

greves
Ok wow that was fast! :D

What can we do once we're logged in and on the Alliance website? Is there a forum? Is there...?

How can I tell all my Meetup group members to join?

greves
12-08-2007, 05:25 PM
You've applied personally or you have a Meet-Up goup in Amsterdam that applied? I only ask because I am not sure how this whole thing works yet myself.

I applied on behalf of the Amsterdam Meetup group, I believe. Our group got accepted, but I'm not sure what to do next.

AlexMerced
12-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Yeah, i was wondering what this would turned out to be when the CEO alluded to something big for Ron Paul supporters like a month ago

PatriotOne
12-08-2007, 05:31 PM
I applied on behalf of the Amsterdam Meetup group, I believe. Our group got accepted, but I'm not sure what to do next.

LOL...Start clicking on links to figure it out like the rest of us. We're all in the same boat trying to figure out all the bells and whistles of our new toy. :p

Brian Bailey
12-08-2007, 05:34 PM
Digg it if you want:

ht tp://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Announcing_Ron_Paul_2008_MeetUp_Alliance

mport1
12-08-2007, 05:40 PM
http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Announcing_Ron_Paul_2008_MeetUp_Alliance

PatriotOne
12-08-2007, 05:41 PM

Hey Greves. You must have extra powers since you are the Alliance organizor. Do you se a way to do this on your screen:

greves
12-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Erm, I'm not the Alliance Organizer, I'm my Group's organizer within the Alliance. I don't see any information on how to contact the Alliance Organizer, or that mailing list! :(

honkywill
12-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Just in time for the tea party. :)

PatriotOne
12-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Erm, I'm not the Alliance Organizer, I'm my Group's organizer within the Alliance. I don't see any information on how to contact the Alliance Organizer, or that mailing list! :(

Hmmmmmm.....I wonder who the Alliance Organizor is?

What is an Alliance Organizer?
The Alliance Organizer is the person who moderates Alliance activity and makes sure the Alliance is healthy and active.

Maybe they haven't activated the mailing list so you can't see the option available yet.

jgmaynard
12-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Holy cow...

We have nearly 100,000 meetup groups, never mind all the facebook, myspace, whatever people, plus all the thousands of Yahoo groups. That's hundreds of thousands of groups, possibly millions of members.

And Meetup just networked all those groups for us and handed us the keys. :D

Holy cow.

JM

TheEvilDetector
12-08-2007, 06:05 PM
Hmmmmmm.....I wonder who the Alliance Organizor is?

What is an Alliance Organizer?
The Alliance Organizer is the person who moderates Alliance activity and makes sure the Alliance is healthy and active.

Maybe they haven't activated the mailing list so you can't see the option available yet.

This is flawed.

Alliance Organiser has too much power.

Instead they should have an automatic expanding system,where a council of organisers is formulated.

Decisions need to be voted on by all organisers.

Personally, I like the original meetup system better.

You can lose a lot of original energy through greater control.

I think the decentralised system is much better.

greves
12-08-2007, 06:06 PM
This is flawed.

Instead they should have an automatic expanding system,where a council of organisers is formulated.

I'm totally with you on this. Council of organizers sounds like a much better implementation. Did you contact Meetup Alliance about adding that as a feature?

symtex411
12-08-2007, 06:07 PM
I think that setting it up so that the RP campaign can help give directions to our efforts is vital. That way we can start focusing out efforts in a more fluid cohesive fashion.

theoddmonkey
12-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Power is still in the hands of the individual groups, but when an important message DOES need to go out to the masses (ie Teaparty), this is huge.

symtex411
12-08-2007, 06:17 PM
Power is still in the hands of the individual groups, but when an important message DOES need to go out to the masses (ie Teaparty), this is huge.

I agree. When the rubber needs to meet the road. This is the vehicle to do it. IE. delegates, important info, ballot issues and so on.

PatriotOne
12-08-2007, 06:20 PM
This is flawed.

I would agree with you on that with only a couple exceptions. This will come in very handy when an "All Points Bulliten" needs to go out. As a person who has helped contact all Meet Up groups individually before, I can testify that it is no easy task :eek: This provides us a way to contact everyone all at once.

I also like the fact that other nn-RP Alliances can be invited to join our Alliance and can be communicated to easily (such as the Libertarian Alliance that's also on the Meet Up website).

angrydragon
12-08-2007, 06:23 PM
I think it's cool, you still have decentralization, but more organized and easier for communications.

aknappjr
12-08-2007, 06:37 PM
error.

A Ron Paul Rebel
12-08-2007, 06:58 PM
I think that setting it up so that the RP campaign can help give directions to our efforts is vital. That way we can start focusing out efforts in a more fluid cohesive fashion.

The official campaign probably doesn't want (and shouldn't) give grassroots any 'directions'!

slantedview
12-08-2007, 07:14 PM
I just notificed my meetup leader about this. Everyone should do the same. :)

A Ron Paul Rebel
12-08-2007, 07:19 PM
I hope 'already having a meetup group' isn't a prerequisite for the Alliance Organizer... I'm a member of many meetups, I'm active up here in N.H. with OLFoD, I have a website dedicated to Dr. Paul's victory and I'm here to WIN!

I signed up and noticed that I can start a meetup once in the alliance, I'm just wondering if it matters to whomever is the Alliance Organizer.

A Ron Paul Rebel

ItsTime
12-08-2007, 07:21 PM
How can I use this to help promote Operation Front Door? Any help with this would be great!

greves
12-08-2007, 07:40 PM
How can I use this to help promote Operation Front Door? Any help with this would be great!

As much as I admire your efforts, please stop spamming this on every thread. Everyone who reads this forum as seen your message at least 400 times today. Please, stop. Make your own thread about it.

A Ron Paul Rebel
12-08-2007, 08:32 PM
bump

Heather in WI
12-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Wow! This is huge!!!

Naraku
12-08-2007, 10:30 PM

From the help page:

Can Yahoo Groups, Facebook Groups, or other types of local groups join MAP?

All local groups are welcome here — no matter what they use to organize themselves. Any local group can join a Meetup Alliance, whether it's hosted on Meetup, Google, MySpace, Facebook, Yahoo, your own site, or no site at all.

Why are you letting non-Meetup groups join?

The team at Meetup is devoted to helping local groups be more effective, compelling and powerful. Everything we do is with this goal in mind. MAP will help thousands of groups be more successful, by enabling local groups everywhere, on every platform, to connect and communicate. Plus, we believe that Meetup.com's premium service for local groups is so good, that you'll end up switching to us after trying out the others. We can help your group do great things at a fraction of the time and energy. Click here to see how.

You can just start up a group in the alliance for it using the Myspace page or whatever. It doesn't require anything else.

NinjaPirate
12-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Wow, nice! I'm glad they're finally coming around to this!

theantirobot
12-08-2007, 10:55 PM
This is huge.

literatim
12-08-2007, 11:35 PM
This is huge, but we need to get all the Meetup groups signed up quickly to make use of it.