PDA

View Full Version : Mike Vanderboegh, Dead at Age 64................RIP

AuH20
08-11-2016, 10:31 AM
A brave fellow...

http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com/2016/08/a-patriot-has-passed-on-today.html

Mike Vanderboegh, husband, father of three, and founder of the III% movement passed peacefully in his beloved Alabama home today.

In life, he fought tirelessly to restore the liberties that we had taken for granted. Because of his leadership and the movement that he created, we take them for granted no more. He was able to awaken minds to the possibility that a determined minority of free people could accomplish anything; so long as they did it together. They did not need a leader. They needed a cause and a banner from which to advance the cause of freedom. The III percent is that cause.

Mike continued to give everything after so much had been taken away by the illness. Through his struggle he became a symbol of what can be accomplished if we only have the indomitable will to make it happen. Through his words he was able to breathe life into the sails of a resurging Patriot movement. His work may be done, but for those that remain, it is just beginning,

A Patriot died today. But his work will live on in the everyday push for freedom. His was a voice that was made silent, but his work will continue to echo so long as free men and women have the means to resist The future doesn’t belong to the craven; it belongs to the brave.

euphemia
08-11-2016, 10:51 AM
How sad. Condolences to his family.

JK/SEA
08-11-2016, 10:55 AM
i sure see a lot of those III% decals on vehicles around my neck of the woods...

RIP Patriot.

John F Kennedy III
08-11-2016, 04:26 PM
Another forum member?

Lucille
08-11-2016, 04:37 PM
RIP, Mike.

http://www.clairewolfe.com/blog/2016/08/10/mike-is-gone/

Mike Vanderboegh, RIP. He lived well and passionately. A grand Outlaw. We owe him much.

So far, I have only a mainstream media account with the usual prejudices. But I’m sure many, many tributes will be pouring in from the gun and freedomista communities soon and I’ll post some of them here.

David Codrea who, as always, is the first to have word about his friend Mike has already posted and promises more information later today.

UPDATES:

Carl-Bear Bussjaeger wrote a moving tribute to Mike for The Zelman Partisans.

Per David Codrea again: Sipsey Street has made a statement, but so far only via FB. Still awaiting a statement on the Sipsey Street blog. (Here’s the announcement on the Sipsey Street blog.)

Honoring the family’s request, here’s the Nyberg flag marked with a mourning band for Mike:

http://www.clairewolfe.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/nyberg-iii-flag.jpg

In his Ammoland column, David writes a longer tribute to Mike. (And the Oath Keepers version of the same column with an afterword from Stewart Rhodes.)

Services will be on Saturday.

And Mark Call features Mike, largely in Mike’s own words, at the beginning of his Thursday, August 11 show.

Click through (to Claire's new blog!) for hyperlinks.

phill4paul
08-13-2016, 08:48 AM
It's been known for sometime that this was coming, but it doesn't make the passing any easier. His was a strong defiant voice backed by actions.

Salute!

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

A Patriot has passed on today.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fGb4z6G_eG0/V6uBMjUMMlI/AAAAAAAAhvg/CJqMCzo-_0My2FgD1Qyga3ccHsEJPSVKwCLcB/s320/14009813_677732639047775_1732452969_n.jpg

Mike Vanderboegh, husband, father of three, and founder of the III% movement passed peacefully in his beloved Alabama home today.

In life, he fought tirelessly to restore the liberties that we had taken for granted. Because of his leadership and the movement that he created, we take them for granted no more. He was able to awaken minds to the possibility that a determined minority of free people could accomplish anything; so long as they did it together. They did not need a leader. They needed a cause and a banner from which to advance the cause of freedom. The III percent is that cause.

Mike continued to give everything after so much had been taken away by the illness. Through his struggle he became a symbol of what can be accomplished if we only have the indomitable will to make it happen. Through his words he was able to breathe life into the sails of a resurging Patriot movement. His work may be done, but for those that remain, it is just beginning,

A Patriot died today. But his work will live on in the everyday push for freedom. His was a voice that was made silent, but his work will continue to echo so long as free men and women have the means to resist The future doesn’t belong to the craven; it belongs to the brave.

http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com/

phill4paul
08-13-2016, 08:59 AM
Mike Vanderboegh passed away peacefully early Wednesday following a long and devastating illness. The Sipsey Street Irregulars blogger, self-described “smuggler” and patriot was perhaps best known as the founder of the Three Percent movement, and as a citizen journalist who first reported on a link between the murder of a Border Patrol agent and ATF’s criminal Fast and Furious “gunwalking” operation.

As a longtime friend and colleague, and as one who has reported on Mike’s deteriorating health and urged supporters to return value for value received in his time of need, it’s probably expected for me to say something profound about this man who had been such a great influence on my own work over the years. Hell, I expect it of myself.

But the truth is, Mike wasn’t about being praised. He believed in letting the work and the ideas speak for themselves.

True, the man had a strong (some would say “cantankerous” at times) personality. But underlying it was a calling – I don’t know what else you’d call it – and fierce devotion for the truth. It was seeing others ignore that truth – particularly when doing so for gain at the expense and abuse of others – that brought his unyielding sense of justice to the fore.

It’s also true he could at times be impulsive in his response to perceived injustices. There are more affronts to liberty and wrongs to right than any of us could hope to even hear about, let alone do anything about. When one came across Mike’s transom, he was on it like a pit bull, even if already overburdened – and that tendency was something he would not ease up on until the weakness of the flesh stripped him of any choice – and even then he would do what he could to defy.

Where do I begin with a synopsis of all the areas where Mike’s efforts, knowledge, insights, talents and will made a real difference? It’s a bit like coming up with acknowledgments — I’m sure I’ll be forgetting some that others who were touched by the man’s work believe deserve being emphasized.

We’ve already mentioned Fast and Furious: Seeing as how contemporary recognition for his achievements has not been forthcoming (it’s not like establishment media ever wanted to actually dig into that and the guy isn’t even mentioned in the Wikipedia entry), those will need to be the province of historians. Perhaps the best place to start is with our Journalist’s Guides in which we attempted to influence widespread deliberate indifference, now relegated to the Wayback Machine Internet Archive, awaiting rediscovery or obscurity depending on how history works out. Another (surprisingly) fair synopsis was published a few years back on BuzzFeed.

We shouldn’t overlook Mike’s proud affinity for ”patriotic resistance” smuggling, bringing “banned” magazines into states like Connecticut, Colorado and Washington, and his leadership in the new (old, actually, just not something the rice bowl gun groups have vested interests in promoting) paradigm of the “I will not comply” movement.

https://www.oathkeepers.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/vanderboeghsmuggler.jpg

We could talk about Mike’s leadership in the militia movement (he was a consulting authority for and subject of Prof. Robert H. Churchill’s “To Shake Their Guns in the Tyrant’s Face.”) We could reflect on his work getting to the hidden truths behind the Oklahoma City bombing, and his investigation into the cover-up behind the related murder of Kenneth Trentadue.

We could look at some of the individuals and groups that earned Mike’s wrath and contempt over the years, but there’s no point in naming names in a memorial. Suffice it to say he was proud to have earned reciprocal scorn, adhering to a maxim by colleague Kurt Hofmann:

“I believe that being despised by the despicable is as good as being admired by the admirable.”

Ultimately what drove Mike was evident in a fundamental question he posed continuously on his blog:

DOES THE GOVERNMENT SERVE THE PEOPLE OR DO THE PEOPLE SERVE THE GOVERNMENT?
He knew what the answer to that question should be, but was also driven to ensure that those who called themselves “Three Percenters’ were committed to the principles of the movement he founded. Even while he knew his end was near, he was doing everything he could to emphasize the importance of his Three Percent Catechism, and to lay out his vision for those of us carrying on after him in his Valediction.

I could go on – I started this unsure of where it would lead and how to even frame things, and there are plenty of anecdotes about experiences and conversations that could be shared, but the truth is, it’s time for me to go and spend some quiet time reflecting on the loss of my friend, and dealing with a growing sadness that had to be kept at bay while there was this necessary task to be done.

Please join me in sending prayers and love to Mike’s family, his steadfast wife Rosey, his beautiful, strong daughters Hannah and Zoe, his capable and knowledgeable son and blog heir Matthew, and his wonderful mother, now facing a loss no parent should ever have to.

by David Codrea

https://www.oathkeepers.org/freedom-movement-loses-important-voice-with-passing-of-mike-vanderboegh/