PDA

View Full Version : Washington Post article on Q2 fundraising speculation

csen
06-30-2007, 09:50 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/29/AR2007062902204.html

They say that Romney's totals are sagging from Q1, that Giuliani had another strong quarter, and McCain "is trying to improve on the $13 million he raised in the first quarter, and expects to fall between $10 million and $15 million, fundraisers said."

No crap, who ISN'T trying to improve upon their Q1 totals?

No mention of RP of course, even though they mentioned Hillary, Obama, Edwards, and Richardson (who intrade thinks has a lower chance of getting the Dem nod than RP does of getting the Repub nod).

I continue to think Thompson entering the race is a positive for our campaign, as it steals votes and dollars from Rudy McRomney and further muddles the frontrunners in the eyes of old media. This will be all the sweeter if RP pulls in a big number for Q2 as we hope.

PatriotOne
06-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Fingers crossed!

csen
06-30-2007, 09:54 AM
Another article related to the first one, this has a $7mln total announced by Richardson's campaign yesterday:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/29/AR2007062901687.html?hpid=sec-politics

It also mentions Huckabee of all people, who says he'll raise more than his $500k in the first total. Oh man, just think, he might've raised $750k!

I hope the official RP campaign has a strategy on releasing its total -- if people think it's noteworthy that Huckabee surpassed his mediocre Q1 number how will they react when RP blows that away?

LibertyEagle
06-30-2007, 09:58 AM
Did someone say somewhere that these numbers will probably come out around July 15?

csen
06-30-2007, 10:02 AM
Did someone say somewhere that these numbers will probably come out around July 15?

Yeah, that's when they're supposed to, but if we've got a big number why hold it back? Nobody has more to gain by posting a big number than us.

angelatc
06-30-2007, 10:03 AM
With the amnesty debacle, I would have expected to see McCain;s numbers fall.

He's just done. Last time around, he seemed to enjoy campaigning. This time he doesn't. You can see it in his eyes. I'm not sure why he is even bothering.

Joe Knows
06-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Another article related to the first one, this has a $7mln total announced by Richardson's campaign yesterday:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/29/AR2007062901687.html?hpid=sec-politics

It also mentions Huckabee of all people, who says he'll raise more than his $500k in the first total. Oh man, just think, he might've raised $750k!

I hope the official RP campaign has a strategy on releasing its total -- if people think it's noteworthy that Huckabee surpassed his mediocre Q1 number how will they react when RP blows that away?

My prediction:

How will people react?

I think that we will all be in shock and awe when the totals are released. However the old media will report it as a negative. They will compare Ron's donations to Howard Dean's internet donations in 2004. If Ron does not beat Dean, then according to the old media it proves that Ron's internet support is just a bunch of spammers.

Today is the last day. Donate if you can.

cujothekitten
06-30-2007, 10:36 AM
It might be a strategy to spread out the news a bit. There's going to be a bit of a lull between Iowa and the next debates. What they should do is wait until the storm from this weekend dies down a bit (about two or 3 weeks) then release the numbers. That way we have something to push between July and August.

MozoVote
06-30-2007, 10:46 AM
With the amnesty debacle, I would have expected to see McCain;s numbers fall.

He's just done. Last time around, he seemed to enjoy campaigning. This time he doesn't. You can see it in his eyes. I'm not sure why he is even bothering.

I know I'm repeating myself from other threads, but I agree. McCain can't win. It made sense in 2000 that he was too independent for the establishment to support. Now he's too tied to Bush's unpopular policies and the religious right (that he at one time criticized).

People want real change. Maybe it won't be RP... But it will not be an inside the Beltway personality like McCain at the top.

walt
06-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Go Talk To A Undecided Voter Instead Of This Stuff.

Original_Intent
06-30-2007, 11:49 AM
I think if RP numbers are bad they should release the numbers ASAP so we can get over it and move on.

If the numbers are good to outstanding, I think they should wait. Maybe announce to us that the numbers are good, but that the announcement will come on July 15.

I want to know as much as you do, but if it is really startling news I think holding it back would be a good thing - that's just my thoughts though.

Bradley in DC
06-30-2007, 11:51 AM

They are due to be reported then. A candidate can release them early (though it takes some time to get all of the donations in the database, reports prepared, etc.) and can, I believe, file an extension and report them later.