PDA

View Full Version : GOP congressman says he'll vote for Libertarian ticket over Trump

Suzanimal
08-07-2016, 08:09 AM
Looks like the LP is actually turning into the party of embarrassed republicans.

Rep. Scott Rigell, R-Va. said Saturday that he would support Libertarian Gary Johnson for president over GOP nominee Donald Trump.

"Iíve always said I will not vote for Donald Trump and I will not vote for Hillary Clinton," Rigell told The New York Times.

Rigell is the third Republican House member this week to say he would not vote for the real estate mogul, who has caused an uproar on the campaign trail with a series of controversial comments.

On Tuesday, Rep. Richard Hanna, R-N.Y., wrote in an op-ed that he would vote for Clinton instead of Trump, whom Hanna called "offensive and narcissistic," as well as "a world-class panderer."

Both Hanna and Rigell are retiring from Congress following this election.

The day after Hanna's op-ed was published, Rep. Adam Kinzinger, R-Ill., told CNN that he would not back Trump amid an ongoing war of words between the GOP nominee and the Muslim family of a fallen American soldier.

Rigell also vowed that he would leave the party and become an independent if Trump's campaign platform took hold in the party.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/08/07/gop-congressman-says-hell-vote-for-libertarian-ticket-over-trump.html

08-07-2016, 08:20 AM
Looks like the LP is actually turning into the party of embarrassed republicans.

That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Krugminator2
08-07-2016, 09:27 AM
Scott Rigell is a liberal Republican, which is to say, a Gary Johnson Republican.

Rand signed a bunch of letters trying to get Scott Rigell primaried. I won't link to it but if people want to look it up, Rigell didn't get primaried, and now he absolutely hates Rand and trashes him whenever his name comes up.

Sounds like Gary's kind of guy.

r3volution 3.0
08-07-2016, 11:07 AM
Scott Rigell is a liberal Republican, which is to say, a Gary Johnson Republican.

Rand signed a bunch of letters trying to get Scott Rigell primaried. I won't link to it but if people want to look it up, Rigell didn't get primaried, and now he absolutely hates Rand and trashes him whenever his name comes up.

Sounds like Gary's kind of guy.

I don't care if reanimated Hitler endorses Johnson, so long as reanimated Hitler has a constituency that votes.

...we libertarians get all the benefit of a record turnout, whoever contributed to making it happen.

IIRC, some unsavory characters (such as white nationalist leaders) endorsed Ron.

Supporters don't necessarily reflect the candidates.

MattRay
08-07-2016, 12:46 PM
Yeah, it's not fair to judge somebody based on their supporters, especially since Gary himself endorsed Ron Paul in 2008. I have a number of problems with Gary, but let's keep things in perspective.

He advocates leaving Afghanistan NOW and he consistently opposes the wars that come up, he vocally supported Ron Paul's Audit the Fed bill and has said he'd sign legislation to abolish the Fed, he's strongly advocated eliminating the income tax, corporate tax and I.R.S., strongly supports abolishing the Department of Education, strongly supports legalizing Marijuana and decriminalization of other drugs, supports cutting spending across the board, including military(in other words, one of the true fiscal conservatives who cares about realistically balancing the budget), supports the 2nd amendment and doesn't buy the disinformation campaign about semi-automatics and seems to support free markets without bailouts and subsidies and as far as I can tell is against the vast majority of regulations. Plus, he not only strongly opposes illegal NSA spying, but has said he'd strongly consider pardoning Edward Snowden and Chelsea Manning. Most politicians won't dare to support Snowden. Trump for instance, advocates EXECUTING him.

Is he the best spokesman for libertarians? Absolutely not. He isn't fit to carry Ron Paul's briefcase and he can be embarrassing at times, but he's better than just about any elected official in the US House and Senate outside of Amash, Rand and Massie and probably a few others I'm forgetting. Either way, the GOP Establishment and liberal Republicans don't support most of what I mentioned. If they're supporting Gary, it's because they can't stand Trump and fear what he'll do to the GOP, plus, they know Gary won't win and a selling point for them is probably that Gary was a popular governor as well as the fact that they probably like Weld a lot more than Gary. Weld is a different story, he clearly is a liberal, establishment Rockefeller Republican.

I'm not saying anyone should necessarily support Gary, there are certainly valid reasons not to, but he's not Jeb Bush, Mitt Romney, Lindsey Graham, Mike Pence ect.

r3volution 3.0
08-07-2016, 01:17 PM
Yeah, it's not fair to judge somebody based on their supporters, especially since Gary himself endorsed Ron Paul in 2008. I have a number of problems with Gary, but let's keep things in perspective.

He advocates leaving Afghanistan NOW and he consistently opposes the wars that come up, he vocally supported Ron Paul's Audit the Fed bill and has said he'd sign legislation to abolish the Fed, he's strongly advocated eliminating the income tax, corporate tax and I.R.S., strongly supports abolishing the Department of Education, strongly supports legalizing Marijuana and decriminalization of other drugs, supports cutting spending across the board, including military(in other words, one of the true fiscal conservatives who cares about realistically balancing the budget), supports the 2nd amendment and doesn't buy the disinformation campaign about semi-automatics and seems to support free markets without bailouts and subsidies and as far as I can tell is against the vast majority of regulations. Plus, he not only strongly opposes illegal NSA spying, but has said he'd strongly consider pardoning Edward Snowden and Chelsea Manning. Most politicians won't dare to support Snowden. Trump for instance, advocates EXECUTING him.

Is he the best spokesman for libertarians? Absolutely not. He isn't fit to carry Ron Paul's briefcase and he can be embarrassing at times, but he's better than just about any elected official in the US House and Senate outside of Amash, Rand and Massie and probably a few others I'm forgetting. Either way, the GOP Establishment and liberal Republicans don't support most of what I mentioned. If they're supporting Gary, it's because they can't stand Trump and fear what he'll do to the GOP, plus, they know Gary won't win and a selling point for them is probably that Gary was a popular governor as well as the fact that they probably like Weld a lot more than Gary. Weld is a different story, he clearly is a liberal, establishment Rockefeller Republican.

I'm not saying anyone should necessarily support Gary, there are certainly valid reasons not to, but he's not Jeb Bush, Mitt Romney, Lindsey Graham, Mike Pence ect.

Well said

cindy25
08-07-2016, 09:15 PM
long term, Johnson (and Stein) getting 5% (Federal funding in 2020) is a good thing. Johnson hitting 15% is also a good thing. more candidate win run Libertarian for congress in 2018, and start to win seats.

MattRay
08-08-2016, 11:37 AM
long term, Johnson (and Stein) getting 5% (Federal funding in 2020) is a good thing. Johnson hitting 15% is also a good thing. more candidate win run Libertarian for congress in 2018, and start to win seats.

True and I think Johnson getting between 5-10% in the general election is very realistic. If he does, much less makes the debates or wins a state, then I'll probably be able to forgive the watering down of the message and Weld. I agree with you about Congress. Libertarians have to break through in smaller ways electorally. Not only will it help us with votes on issues, but it will make the idea of a libertarian president seem that much more credible. Tom Davis is being courted by the LP to run for governor in 2018 and he's considering it. Hopefully he decides to do it and libertarians rally around him.

CaptUSA
08-08-2016, 11:41 AM
Both Hanna and Rigell are retiring from Congress following this election.

Probably makes the case for term limits. Personally, I'm not a fan of them, but if that's how you get politicians to stop blindly following their party...

bunklocoempire
08-08-2016, 01:46 PM
GOP congressman says he'll vote for Libertarian ticket over Trump

He originally swore an oath to preserve and protect the Johnson? I did not know that.

Sorry Darrel Castle (http://castle2016.com/platform/), maybe you'd have better luck if you changed your party's name to: "whatever".