PDA

View Full Version : Amash Hints at 2020 Presidential Run

jct74
08-06-2016, 10:19 AM
Amash Hints at 2020 Presidential Run

Elias J. Atienza
July 30, 2016

Representative Justin Amash (R-MI) hinted at a 2020 run during his speech at the Young Americans for Liberty National Convention. As one of the few libertarian Republicans in elected office, Amash is looking to continue the movement Ron Paul inspired.

Amash is one of the few remaining left in the Never Trump movement and is actively looking to back someone besides the Republican nominee.

Rare called him “the most high profile libertarian Republican in Congress after Senator Rand Paul” and one of the “two congressmen who are generally considered the most beloved by the Ron Paul-inspired liberty movement.”

It’s important that we have a strong libertarian voice running for president. And it’s important that we win. So, yes,” he told Rare in February when asked if he would run for President.

read more:
http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/amash-hints-2020-presidential-run/

Smitty
08-06-2016, 10:26 AM
Amash is one of the few remaining left in the Never Trump movement

That means he'll begin the primary with a 13,000,000+ vote deficit.

phill4paul
08-06-2016, 10:26 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/iDh1vAFaEWwjS/giphy.gif

Smitty
08-06-2016, 10:32 AM
Not to mention that Amash now wears "The Mark of Cruz".

I was a big fan of Amash. But it's becoming clear that D.C. is having its effect on him.

Thomas Massie has weathered D.C.'s corrupting influences much better.

angelatc
08-06-2016, 10:35 AM
Not to mention that Amash now wears "The Mark of Cruz".

I was a big fan of Amash. But it's becoming clear that D.C. is having its effect on him.

Thomas Massie has weathered D.C.'s corrupting influences much better.

ANd yet Massie is voting for Trump, while Amash is decrying him. To win any battles, we need more than one captain. Why on Earth do you feel the need to jump in here just to disparage Amash? Seriously, this "divide and conquer" stuff is how we ended up without a LIbertarian on the LP ticket. What on Earth is wrong with Amash, FFS?

Smitty
08-06-2016, 10:40 AM
ANd yet Massie is voting for Trump, while Amash is decrying him. To win any battles, we need more than one captain. Why on Earth do you feel the need to jump in here just to disparage Amash? Seriously, this "divide and conquer" stuff is how we ended up without a LIbertarian on the LP ticket. What on Earth is wrong with Amash, FFS?

I didn't cause Amash to choose the wrong side of the Trump movement and align himself with Cruz.

Mentioning that isn't disparaging Amash. It's just stating the facts.

Amash has positioned himself very badly if he expects to be a popular candidate for the GOP nomination in 2020. Trump may not win the Presidency, but Trump's people aren't going to go away.

The existed before the Trump candidacy and they will be around after.

angelatc
08-06-2016, 10:45 AM
I didn't cause Amash to choose the wrong side of the Trump movement and align himself with Cruz.

Mentioning that isn't disparaging Amash. It's just stating the facts.

Amash has positioned himself very badly if he expects to be a popular candidate for the GOP nomination in 2020. Trump may not win the Presidency, but Trump's people aren't going to go away.

The existed before the Trump candidacy and they will be around after.

So you're writing off Amash because he didn't endorse your candidate of choice. Who is Trump. OK. Now go away.

For the record, I'd rather see Amash seek the governorship here in Michigan. But that means he'd have to run against Calley, and they're friends. So....

Smitty
08-06-2016, 10:50 AM
So you're writing off Amash because he didn't endorse your candidate of choice. Who is Trump. OK. Now go away.

For the record, I'd rather see Amash seek the governorship here in Michigan. But that means he'd have to run against Calley, and they're friends. So....

Whether I write him off or not will have little to no effect.

The fact that he's placed himself on the wrong side of millions of Trump supporters will have the bad effect.

Trump is an extremely popular candidate with conservative minded voters. Being on the wrong side of those voters isn't a winning political strategy.

Amash chose his side and he will live with the consequences.

Valli6
08-06-2016, 10:50 AM
Justin Amash scored a 100 on the Republican Liberty Caucus index.
Rand Paul tweeted this out about a week ago.
http://rlc.org/article/rlc-virginia-chairman-cliff-thies-releases-2015-libery-index

Smitty
08-06-2016, 10:52 AM
Justin Amash scored a 100 on the Republican Liberty Caucus index.
Rand Paul tweeted this out about a week ago.
http://rlc.org/article/rlc-virginia-chairman-cliff-thies-releases-2015-libery-index

What did Rand score on that before pulling 4% and dropping out of the race after Iowa?

angelatc
08-06-2016, 10:55 AM
The fact that he's placed himself on the wrong side of millions of Trump supporters will have the bad effect.

Nah. Unless Trump pulls off a major change in messaging, in 4 years nobody is even going to admit to being a Trump supporter. I do think that Trump tapped into an energy that McCain and Romney couldn't, but Hillary is controlling the messaging, and unless he can turn his message into a "One America!" thing, she's going to win by a landslide.

ETA: Obama and Hillary said horrible things about each other, yet her supporters pulled the lever for him, and now his supporters will return the favor. In 4 years, endorsing trump over Cruz, or even endorsing Trump at all, will be a non-issue.

Amash / Massie are our future. Regardless of what Trump does or doesn't do, if they fail, then we have failed.

Smitty
08-06-2016, 10:59 AM
Nah. Unless Trump pulls off a major change in messaging, in 4 years nobody is even going to admit to being a Trump supporter.

I wouldn't bet anything I didn't want to lose on *that*.

In fact, a Hillary administration is going to make them larger and louder than ever.

They're not going anywhere because they have nowhere else to go.

The only option the Trump supporters have is to double down.

angelatc
08-06-2016, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't bet anything I didn't want to lose on *that*.

In fact, a Hillary administration is going to make them larger and louder than ever.

They're not going anywhere because they have nowhere else to go.

The only option the Trump supporters have is to double down.

Yeah, the TEA Party thought that they were a force to be reckoned with, too. Paul, Amash, Massie are our future. If they fail, Ron Paul's Revolution fails.

Smitty
08-06-2016, 11:14 AM
. Paul, Amash, Massie are our future.

They're all on the wrong side of the illegal immigration issue. None of them will get out of the starting blocks.

Trump beat out every other GOP contender by taking a hard stance on the illegal immigration issue. That's why he's the GOP candidate.

Anyone who isn't ready to take that bull by the horns either needs to stay at home or run as a Democrat.

Smitty
08-06-2016, 11:16 AM
This is the deal breaker. If the liberty movement wants to be competitive, it's going to have to get over its mealy mouth talk about illegals.

https://amash.house.gov/press-release/amash-sends-letter-sen-paul-immigration

CaptUSA
08-06-2016, 11:45 AM
This is the deal breaker. If the liberty movement wants to be competitive, it's going to have to get over its mealy mouth talk about illegals.

https://amash.house.gov/press-release/amash-sends-letter-sen-paul-immigration

Please... If the Liberty movement wants to be competitive, they need to give up that whole liberty thing?? Yeah. I don't think so. Amash, Paul, and Massie get it. You Trumpsters don't. But you'll be taught a lesson soon.

Lindsey
08-06-2016, 11:45 AM
That's a candidacy I could support.

Smitty
08-06-2016, 11:52 AM
Please... If the Liberty movement wants to be competitive, they need to give up that whole liberty thing?? .

If the liberty "thing" means open borders, then yes,...if the liberty movement wants to be competitive, it has to give up the open borders nonsense.

Open borders, pro illegal immigration has extremely limited support from conservative minded people in America.

If the liberty movement wants to maintain that stance, they would do better in the Democratic Party,...or they could go third party and get 5 or 6 % until the end of time.

luctor-et-emergo
08-06-2016, 11:58 AM
We won't get more liberty by focusing our efforts on the presidency. We can use it to educate people since the presidential race is a worldwide news item, however, the only way we can change things realistically is if we focus on the lower offices...

LibertyEagle
08-06-2016, 12:03 PM

I have always liked Amash. But, his support for Cruz has thrown me for a loop. Cruz was a huge advocate of the TPP and it boggles my mind why Amash, if he was what I thought he was, would support someone who argued for TPP so strongly. It has certainly given me pause.

That said, I don't think we have a chance in hell of winning the presidency. This election should have proven that to everyone. But, we do have a chance at the state and local levels and even the House, if we wish.

LibertyEagle
08-06-2016, 12:06 PM
If the liberty "thing" means open borders, then yes,...if the liberty movement wants to be competitive, it has to give up the open borders nonsense.

Open borders, pro illegal immigration has extremely limited support from conservative minded people in America.

If the liberty movement wants to maintain that stance, they would do better in the Democratic Party,...or they could go third party and get 5 or 6 % until the end of time.

I have to agree. Either that, or CP-USA.

Natural Citizen
08-06-2016, 12:13 PM
Seriously, this "divide and conquer" stuff is how we ended up without a LIbertarian on the LP ticket.

This is the very first thing that needs to be nipped in the bud once this cycle has passed. I don't know that it's possible, though.

Smitty
08-06-2016, 12:19 PM
This is the very first thing that needs to be nipped in the bud once this cycle has passed.

You can nip whatever you want on here, but it's going to have no efect on those 13,000,000+ voters who backed Trump in the primary.

Amash positioned himself in opposition to Trump.

That's done.

I won't discourage anyone on here from voting for Amash. But that's not what this discussion is about.

It's about where Amash finds himself politically these days.

He's misjudged a lot of situations and in the process caused himself to appear to be a part of the establishment.

That's a very bad place for a liberty candidate to be.

angelatc
08-06-2016, 12:23 PM
I have always liked Amash. But, his support for Cruz has thrown me for a loop. Cruz was a huge advocate of the TPP and it boggles my mind why Amash, if he was what I thought he was, would support someone who argued for TPP so strongly. It has certainly given me pause.

That said, I don't think we have a chance in hell of winning the presidency. This election should have proven that to everyone. But, we do have a chance at the state and local levels and even the House, if we wish.

I think people here got far too sideways over the Cruz thing. Amash was, first and foremost, a Rand Paul guy. When Rand dropped out, Amash said he knows Ted Cruz, and Ted Cruz is someone we could work with.

He is there in the belly of the beast, so I respect his opinion a lot more than I do some of the couch sitters here.

angelatc
08-06-2016, 12:24 PM
..... caused himself to appear to be a part of the establishment.

Now you're being beyond ridiculous. "If ya ain't with is, ya agin' us!" - you'll never win an election if that's what you believe.

Smitty
08-06-2016, 12:28 PM
Now you're being beyond ridiculous.

Yeah?

Cruz supported TPP to the extent that he assisted Paul Ryan in writing an article in support of it for The Wall Street Journal. (There's much more Cruz stuff, but that's enough)
Amash supports Cruz.

Also:

Show me a substantial differece between Jeb!'s view on illegal immigration and Amash's view on the same..

angelatc
08-06-2016, 12:58 PM
Yeah?

Cruz supported TPP to the extent that he assisted Paul Ryan in writing an article in support of it for The Wall Street Journal. (There's much more Cruz stuff, but that's enough)
Amash supports Cruz.

Also:

Show me a substantial differece between Jeb!'s view on illegal immigration and Amash's view on the same..

Now you're moving the goal posts. Are you a single issue voter? Amash has been pretty much a "Secure the border" kind of guy.

But the bigger long term problem you Trumpsters have, IMHO, is that Trump isn't running to start a movement. He has no interest in becoming, win or lose, the ideological head of the GOP. He doesn't give a crap about anything except winning this election. If he loses, he'll go back to being a businessman.

Couple that with the "purity tests" you're already implementing, and sadly the Trump train will soon enough reach the same stop as the Ron Paul movement.

Smitty
08-06-2016, 01:13 PM
. Trump isn't running to start a movement.

Well,....I don't know if you would call it a movement, necessarily.

Trump just stood up and told a lot of people that he wanted what they did.

On the other hand, telling the "pure, non PC, kiss my ass if you don't like it" truth in *this* age of deception probable *does* qualify as a movement.

adissa
08-06-2016, 01:21 PM
This is the very first thing that needs to be nipped in the bud once this cycle has passed. I don't know that it's possible, though.
That bud is already a fully blossoming flower.

angelatc
08-06-2016, 01:25 PM
Well,....I don't know if you would call it a movement, necessarily.

Trump just stood up and told a lot of people that he wanted what they did.

On the other hand, telling the "pure, non PC, kiss my ass if you don't like it" truth in *this* age of deception probable *does* qualify as a movement.

Sure, which is the same thing Ron Paul did. So did Sarah Palin. But Ron Paul made it clear that he was running to spread a message. Trump isn't. He says a lot of things people want to hear, but if he doesn't win the presidency, hearing him say those things won't create any cohesion behind a new candidate.

angelatc
08-06-2016, 01:27 PM
And for the record, let me be clear - that if you're supporting Trump, but not Amash, you are not doing the Liberty thing right.

Smitty
08-06-2016, 01:30 PM
Sure, which is the same thing Ron Paul did. So did Sarah Palin. But Ron Paul made it clear that he was running to spread a message. Trump isn't. He says a lot of things people want to hear, but if he doesn't win the presidency, hearing him say those things won't create any cohesion behind a new candidate.

You're probably right. And as I've stated previously,..Trump's people were there when Trump showed up and they'll still be there even if he doesn't win.

The "movement" occurred spontaneously. Or,...to be more accurate, it was created by the corruption and actions of the left.

Smitty
08-06-2016, 01:34 PM
And for the record, let me be clear - that if you're supporting Trump, but not Amash, you are not doing the Liberty thing right.

I don't support TPP.

I don't support illegal immigration.

Anyone who does isn't supporting my definition of personal liberty.

angelatc
08-06-2016, 01:40 PM
You're probably right. And as I've stated previously,..Trump's people were there when Trump showed up and they'll still be there even if he doesn't win.

The "movement" occurred spontaneously. Or,...to be more accurate, it was created by the corruption and actions of the left.

At this point, we have a one party system. The corruption and actions on both sides is what drove Ron Paul, the TEA Party, and the Trump movements.

But unless we can get a leader who can successfully play "We are all in this together!" to contrast the divisive politics of the left (where women hate men, rich hate poor, straights hate gays, and blacks hate whites, etc) it's all for naught.

Smitty
08-06-2016, 01:46 PM
At this point, we have a one party system.

Not this time.

This time we have a Democratic candidate who was running her own little private feifdon out of the State Dept and is owes half the world favors vs. a successful businessman who took time off from his extreme life of leisure to risk his life running against the powers that be. Not in the same way Ron Paul did,...but against the same enemy that Ron Paul had.

I wish Amash had made the right wager,...but he didn't.

He cast his lot with Ted. Ted wasn't worth it in the first place and he's even lower now.

Amash has some very serious damage control to attend to. He needs to get with it if he wants a career in politics.

angelatc
08-06-2016, 01:54 PM
N
Amash has some very serious damage control to attend to. He needs to get with it if he wants a career in politics.

It won't be the Trump faction who takes him out, it will be the establishment moderates though. So far, the Trump movement has not accomplished anything.

Smitty
08-06-2016, 01:57 PM
It won't be the Trump faction who takes him out, it will be the establishment moderates though. So far, the Trump movement has not accomplished anything.

The Trump faction won't "take him out". They just won't show up to vote for him.

angelatc
08-06-2016, 02:12 PM
The Trump faction won't "take him out". They just won't show up to vote for him.

That's ok, because they won't be voting for anybody else, either. Amash has managed to hold a red seat in a blue state. Moving to the far right isn't going to help him in Michigan.

Which is why I'd like to see him run for, and win, the governorship before trying for the White House. He's the right mix of left and right: civil liberties from the left, and economic liberty from the right.

Smitty
08-06-2016, 02:15 PM
That's ok, because they won't be voting for anybody else, either.

Maybe. It'll be interesting to watch.

Trump has shown what it takes to get the support of the very large "rained on " faction.

If Trump doesn't win, it'll be interesting to see what kind of candidate comes in to appeal to that faction.

My guess is, Trump is the nicest one you'll see.

angelatc
08-06-2016, 02:24 PM
Maybe. It'll be interesting to watch.

Trump has shown what it takes to get the support of the very large "rained on " faction.

If Trump doesn't win, it'll be interesting to see what kind of candidate comes in to appeal to that faction.

My guess is, Trump is the nicest one you'll see.

That could be a great thing. If Trump's legacy takes the party fajthful the hard right, and the left turns full blown prog, the middle ground will be very fertile.

specsaregood
08-06-2016, 02:27 PM
Just reading the term "Trump movement" leaves me feeling like I need to take dump, urgently.

Smitty
08-06-2016, 02:31 PM
That could be a great thing. If Trump's legacy takes the party fajthful the hard right, and the left turns full blown prog, the middle ground will be very fertile.

Except Trump's supporters are already to the right of Trump.

PursuePeace
08-06-2016, 02:31 PM
I would love to see Paul, Amash, and Massie all on the debate stage together.
A truly united force for truth.
Incredibly effective.

Stark contrast:

angelatc
08-06-2016, 02:33 PM
Except Trump's supporters are already to the right of Trump.

So is Ron Paul.

CPUd
08-06-2016, 04:06 PM

Why didn't the "Trump Movement" show up to vote for Tim Huelskamp?

Smitty
08-06-2016, 04:26 PM

Because Huelskamp was extremely anti Trump.

r3volution 3.0
08-06-2016, 04:30 PM
They're all on the wrong side of the illegal immigration issue. None of them will get out of the starting blocks.

Trump beat out every other GOP contender by taking a hard stance on the illegal immigration issue. That's why he's the GOP candidate.

That's also why he's going to suffer an exceptional whooping in November.

The hardcore anti-immigrant movement has no political future.

It'll piss about for a while and then go out with an inglorious whimper like the Southern segregationists of past decades.

angelatc
08-06-2016, 04:37 PM

They voted for the other guy, who will give them subsidies.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13925109_1261979773835080_4333444255161433750_n.jp g?oh=873cbd75aa47801fafbc0f12d5a1d096&oe=5820E277

Total outsider position.....

Smitty
08-06-2016, 05:03 PM
The hardcore anti-immigrant movement has no political future.

You very well may be right. But if that happens it will also mean that there's no peaceful resolution to the eventual outcome of the U.S.A.

Brian4Liberty
08-06-2016, 05:18 PM
Amash is one of the few remaining left in the Never Trump movement

You quoted an article, but is there any truth to that opinion? Is Amash really running around with Bill Kristol looking for a new candidate to support at this point?

Amash switched to Cruz after Rand dropped out. That is the history. What makes Amash "one of the few left in the never Trump movement" today?

r3volution 3.0
08-06-2016, 05:26 PM
You very well may be right. But if that happens it will also mean that there's no peaceful resolution to the eventual outcome of the U.S.A.

Somehow I don't see federal police trying to hunt down and forcibly deport 10 million people as conducive to peace...

Smitty
08-06-2016, 05:27 PM
You quoted an article, but is there any truth to that opinion?

I took it from the link in the OP.

Ask the guy who posted it.

People link a lot of crap on here. One has to be discering about it.

But Regardless,..Amash is a Cruz guy and he's soft on illegal immigration. That's easy enough to verify without the OP's link.

Those young fellows in Congress feel like they have to hold that position on immigration because that's what the establishment wants.

But the people don't want it,...not the Republicans, anyway.

It took Trump to show the people that they were part of a big group if they were against illegal immigration.

If another member of the right ever gets elected, a hard stance against illegal immigration will play a big part in it.

That's been demonstrated.

afwjam
08-06-2016, 05:39 PM
I wish the Trump supporters would stay in their authoritarians for president forum.

Smitty
08-06-2016, 05:40 PM
Somehow I don't see federal police trying to hunt down and forcibly deport 10 million people as conducive to peace...

Probably not. But the Mexican illegals will be forgotten soon enough if the immigration situation isn't accounted for.

Hillary's handlers are planning to do to America what Merkel's handlers had her do to Germany.

Western Europe has gotten *all* out of shape.

It's going to take a war to settle what's happened over there,..and there's definitely no good prediction on what the outcome will be,....but there's a nasty war somewhere between now and when it's resolved.

That will happen in America if nothing gets in its way.

phill4paul
08-06-2016, 05:46 PM
I took it from the link in the OP.

Ask the guy who posted it.

People link a lot of crap on here. One has to be discering about it.

But Regardless,..Amash is a Cruz guy and he's soft on illegal immigration. That's easy enough to verify without the OP's link.

Those young fellows in Congress feel like they have to hold that position on immigration because that's what the establishment wants.

But the people don't want it,...not the Republicans, anyway.

It took Trump to show the people that they were part of a big group if they were against illegal immigration.

If another member of the right ever gets elected, a hard stance against illegal immigration will play a big part in it.

By 2020, if teh Donald is elected and it turns out he is not a plant to get Hillary elected, the blow back against his admin. and positions is going to be yuuuge. The time would be right for Amash.

Smitty
08-06-2016, 05:52 PM
Only if Amash sees the light and embraces the Alt-Right.

That's where the GOP is headed. It's about a half generation away,....probably not that much.

phill4paul
08-06-2016, 05:59 PM
Only if Amash sees the light and embraces the Alt-Right.

That's where the GOP is headed. It's about a half generation away,....probably not that much.

The alt-right is a phase that is going to experience blow-back. Like a dog rolling in anothers' shit, revel in it while you may. In the end it is not sustainable.

Smitty
08-06-2016, 06:02 PM
The Alt-Right is inevitable.

The left has force fed too many people the red pill.

Us red pill people ain't got nowhere else to go.

William Tell
08-06-2016, 06:04 PM

Yay for the orange pill. you go running to the first Clinton donor who you see. "Help us mister trump we are the alt right".
:rolleyes:

phill4paul
08-06-2016, 06:05 PM

Inevitably unsustainable. Like a hot-head blowing off it will eventually burn out. Probably after about 4 yrs. of teh Donald.

r3volution 3.0
08-06-2016, 06:05 PM
Probably not. But the Mexican illegals will be forgotten soon enough if the immigration situation isn't accounted for.

Hillary's handlers are planning to do to America what Merkel's handlers had her do to Germany.

The great, civilization-ending crime wave facing Germany is fictional: propaganda created by your camp to justify nationalist feelz.

The real and only meaningful threat to Europe is, as its been for a century, socialism.

...which Trumpllary will indeed keep advancing here in the US.

It's going to take a war to settle what's happened over there,..and there's definitely no good prediction on what the outcome will be,....but there's a nasty war somewhere between now and when it's resolved.

That will happen in America if nothing gets in its way.

I know you fellas dream of fighting it out Mad Max style with the snakbars, but there'll be nothing of the sort.

...just a continuation of the post-9/11 trend, with sporadic attacks motivating the fearful to give up ever more of their rights.

Smitty
08-06-2016, 06:11 PM
The red pill people were responsible for the Ron Paul movement.

It didn't make it.

The red pill people have moved on to something that offers a more substantial, more combative foundation.

Maybe us freedom minded people can experience true, unencumbered liberty someday. I'd like to think so.

But there's some serious obstacles between here and there right now.

Before we can experience the type of liberty that libertarians espouse, this country, indeed, this *world* is going to need a good enema.

From what I see, it's going to take some hardcore, malevolent nationalism before we can work to achieve that.

phill4paul
08-06-2016, 06:20 PM
The red pill people were responsible for the Ron Paul movement.

It didn't make it.

The red pill people have moved on to something that offers a more substantial, more combative foundation.

Maybe us freedom minded people can experience true, unencumbered liberty someday. I'd like to think so.

But there's some serious obstacles between here and there right now.

Before we can experience the type of liberty that libertarians espouse, this country, indeed, this *world* is going to need a good enema.

From what I see, it's going to take some hardcore, malevolent nationalism before we can work to achieve that.

I'm a "red pill," "Ron Paul movement" person. I don't for an instant buy into the alt-right Trump-gasm. Nor do I think any sizable portion of those that were "cured of their apathy" do. The malevolent nationalists are a different breed entirely.

CPUd
08-06-2016, 06:24 PM
Ron Paul's message unites, Trump's message divides.

angelatc
08-06-2016, 06:26 PM
By 2020, if teh Donald is elected and it turns out he is not a plant to get Hillary elected, the blow back against his admin. and positions is going to be yuuuge. The time would be right for Amash.
Not if he is on the GOP ticket. That's how Carter got elected.

Smitty
08-06-2016, 06:27 PM
I'm a "red pill," "Ron Paul movement" person. I don't for an instant buy into the alt-right Trump-gasm. Nor do I think any sizable portion of those that were "cured of their apathy" do. The malevolent nationalists are a different breed entirely.

Yeah, yeah,...I know.

You haven't got there yet. Maybe you never will. Some won't.

I like this statement from Patrick Buchanan about people like you.

http://buchanan.org/blog/is-a-new-gop-being-born-124893

As in 1964 and 1980, a new Republican Party is taking shape.

Defections are to be expected, and not altogether unwelcome.

phill4paul
08-06-2016, 06:33 PM
Not if he is on the GOP ticket. That's how Carter got elected.

True enough. The pendulum would swing wildly. Good point.

angelatc
08-06-2016, 06:37 PM
Yeah, yeah,...I know.

From the very article you posted:

If Trump won and turned left, it would inspire an insurgency like Ronald Reagan’s in 1976, when the Ford-Rockefeller-Kissinger administration moved too far toward detente.

phill4paul
08-06-2016, 06:45 PM
Yeah, yeah,...I know.

No, I never will "get there." Because "there" is where I don't care to be. It's hard to "defect" when one is not a part. There will be no "changing of the guard" in the GOP as Pat predicts. Particularly if one such as yourself would criticize Amash for his Cruz support over every other stance he has taken. If there is to be a "changing of the guard" then it has to be individuals like Amash and Massie. Not Trump. Not even.

Smitty
08-06-2016, 06:55 PM
Give me a rest, guy.

Amash lined up with Cruz.

If Cruz wants a friend he has to buy a dog.

His own wife went for a walk on the railroad tracks because of his weirdness.

,...and Amash has done took up with him.

Like I said before. I once liked Amash very much. I thought he was the best of the liberty movement in Congress. But he's done flown the coup.

If you're still enthralled with the liberty movement, it's time to look for somebody else.

I really don't care if you do or not.

I'm on a nationalist kick these days. The liberty movement has to take a back seat until that nationalist situation is taken care of.

Brian4Liberty
08-06-2016, 06:58 PM

Actually, it was Dave Brat who proved that by taking out Cantor. He ran as a Ron Paul style liberty-oriented candidate, with a relatively young Ron Paul supporter as his campaign manager. They first rode the waiting wave, joining with the Ingraham/Sessions wing with regard to immigration. It was a winning strategy, but apparently the only presidential candidate to learn that lesson was Trump, who immediately aligned with Sessions. Instead of another Ron Paul style candidate using a more Liberty oriented combination, we got Trump. Tragic.

We will have another victory if another Ron Paul supporter takes down a certain despicable Senator. Time will tell.

Smitty
08-06-2016, 07:01 PM
Actually, it was Dave Brat who proved that by taking out Cantor. He ran as a Ron Paul style liberty-oriented candidate, with a relatively young Ron Paul supporter as his campaign manager. They first rode the waiting wave, joining with the Ingraham/Sessions wing with regard to immigration. It was a winning strategy, but apparently the only presidential candidate to learn that lesson was Trump, who immediately aligned with Sessions. Instead of another Ron Paul style candidate using a more Liberty oriented combination, we got Trump. Tragic.

We will have another victory if another Ron Paul supporter takes down a certain despicable Senator. Time will tell.

Okay.

I just read what you write.

Sometimes it's difficult to see where you are. You don't seem to be totally adverse to the idea of Trump,..but you seem hesitant to just come out with it.

Say what you want to say. I'll read it.

phill4paul
08-06-2016, 07:08 PM
Give me a rest, guy.

Amash lined up with Cruz.

If Cruz wants a friend he has to buy a dog.

His own wife went for a walk on the railroad tracks because of his weirdness.

,...and Amash has done took up with him.

Like I said before. I once liked Amash very much. I thought he was the best of the liberty movement in Congress. But he's done flown the coup.

If you're still enthralled with the liberty movement, it's time to look for somebody else.

I really don't care if you do or not.

I'm on a nationalist kick these days. The liberty movement has to take a back seat until that nationalist situation is taken care of.

Amash aligned with Cruz because he felt he could "work with him", and had on some issues, after Rand dropped out. Not one of his better days but he was working with what he had. That hardly equates to "flown the coup (sic)."
If "Nationalism" equated with limited Federal government and individual liberty then I would be all for it. As it stands it is equated with fascism. And I'll have no part in Trumps move to cement that fact.

Smitty
08-06-2016, 07:12 PM
okay.

angelatc
08-06-2016, 07:28 PM
Amash aligned with Cruz because he felt he could "work with him", and had on some issues, after Rand dropped out. Not one of his better days but he was working with what he had. That hardly equates to "flown the coup (sic)."
If "Nationalism" equated with limited Federal government and individual liberty then I would be all for it. As it stands it is equated with fascism. And I'll have no part in Trumps move to cement that fact.

Not to mention that fact that if Trump manages to win, he will also be working with Cruz. Trump is a master at putting together deals, and I'm pretty sure he deals with people he doesn't agree with. His supporters would do well to learn such a skill.

IN any event, if you're looking for a good dose of full frontal nationalism. then Ron Paul Forums probably shouldn't be your go-to political home these days.

Smitty
08-06-2016, 07:55 PM
IN any event, if you're looking for a good dose of full frontal nationalism. then Ron Paul Forums probably shouldn't be your go-to political home these days.

Liberty through nationalism is about as good as it gets when globalism is running wild over the planet.

anaconda
08-06-2016, 08:09 PM

Is Ron Paul, therefore, also on the wrong side of the Trump movement?

Here is the text of Amash's endorsement of Cruz:

http://opinion.ijr.com/2016/02/253437-trust-ted-cruz/

phill4paul
08-06-2016, 08:11 PM
Liberty through nationalism is about as good as it gets when globalism is running wild over the planet.

Syphilis is about as good as it gets when AIDS is running wild. :rolleyes:

Smitty
08-06-2016, 08:11 PM
Is Ron Paul, therefore, also on the wrong side of the Trump movement?

From what I've seen, Ron Paul isn't a fan of either Trump nor Hillary.

anaconda
08-06-2016, 09:08 PM
From what I've seen, Ron Paul isn't a fan of either Trump nor Hillary.

Is he therefore on "the wrong side" of the Trump movement?"

anaconda
08-06-2016, 09:17 PM
Looks like Amash is now behind Trump:

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/07/26/exclusive-4/

jkr
08-06-2016, 09:20 PM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/1zdNoVd2zOk/hqdefault.jpg

phill4paul
08-06-2016, 09:53 PM

Amish Pac. Not Amash. SMDH.

LibertyEagle
08-06-2016, 10:32 PM

That says AMISH; not Amash. lol

anaconda
08-06-2016, 10:49 PM
What a difference one letter makes. My google search apparently tossed in results for "Amish" along with the search for "Amash" and support for Trump! I apologize for my lack of attention to detail. I even overlooked the fact that the billboards are in PA rather than MI.

anaconda
08-06-2016, 10:51 PM
Do Amish even vote?

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/donald-trump-amish-voters-223669

Apparently the Amish don't get social security or disability:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36799768

anaconda
08-06-2016, 10:53 PM
Amish Pac. Not Amash. SMDH.

Totally sorry about that. Pretty funny actually.

anaconda
08-06-2016, 10:54 PM
That says AMISH; not Amash. lol

Ha! Oops. My apologies.

MattRay
08-07-2016, 01:35 PM
I started looking to 2020 for a possible Amash run as soon as Rand exited the race and my pipe dream of Ron Paul entering was officially ruled out so this is great news, imo. I was a bit surprised when Amash endorsed Cruz, but I'm not too bothered by it because I read his reasons and I don't think it changes Amash's positions. He's our best hope for a strong liberty campaign short of Ron Paul returning to politics, which at 80 years old, is highly unlikely.

cindy25
08-08-2016, 01:51 AM
Brat or Amash would have to win statewide (Gov or Sen) to be taken seriously. easier for Brat because VA has off year Governor, and its open.

angelatc
08-08-2016, 09:12 AM
Brat or Amash would have to win statewide (Gov or Sen) to be taken seriously. easier for Brat because VA has off year Governor, and its open.

Agree 100%. MI has an off year governor race too. .Snyder is term limited, but the establishment is strong here. Bentivolio and McMillan are two national scalps, on a local level they got Courser and Gamrat out.

Rumors say that Amash is good friends with the Lt Gov, but also that the Lt Gov will run for the seat. So .....

Krugminator2
08-08-2016, 06:40 PM
Agree 100%. MI has an off year governor race too. .Snyder is term limited, but the establishment is strong here. Bentivolio and McMillan are two national scalps, on a local level they got Courser and Gamrat out.

Rumors say that Amash is good friends with the Lt Gov, but also that the Lt Gov will run for the seat. So .....

Amash could never win a state race. If he wants to float his name to raise his profile. He will not run and knows he could not win.

I would be very verrrrrrrrrry surprised if Calley ran against Amash for his House seat. Obviously anything can happen politics. That does not seem like a very credible rumor.

angelatc
08-08-2016, 09:21 PM
Amash could never win a state race. If he wants to float his name to raise his profile. He will not run and knows he could not win.

I would be very verrrrrrrrrry surprised if Calley ran against Amash for his House seat. Obviously anything can happen politics. That does not seem like a very credible rumor.

No no no - I meant Amash would likely have to face Calley in a GOP primary in a gubernatorial race.