PDA

View Full Version : Trump’s Chaos Offering Cover for Clinton

CPUd
08-05-2016, 12:04 AM
Trump’s Chaos Offering Cover for Clinton

The Democratic nominee benefits from The Donald’s attack-fueled media controversies.

Hillary Clinton has emerged from her party's nominating convention with a modest polling lift.

Her more significant bump, though, is coming from Donald Trump.

With just under 100 days until the general election, perhaps the most unlikely and unorthodox GOP nominee for president in American history is once again mired in a needless controversy of his own making, earning the stinging repudiation of his fellow Republicans and allowing Clinton to position herself as the responsible, temperate alternative.

Trump's decision to target Khizr and Ghazala Khan, a Muslim-American couple whose son was killed serving in Iraq, demonstrates that the candidate would still rather settle an ego-bruising score than protect or advance his political prospects. It shows that the boundaries for his attacks remain limitless, creating a risky scenario when his adversaries include some of the nation's military veterans and Gold Star families.

And above all, it reinforces how he can wrest hold of the media's narrative and scorn with the drop of a single inflammatory tweet, drowning out much of the unfavorable coverage of Clinton that still swirls in the ether.

Trump creates his own constant stream of media chaos, while Clinton keeps her exposure tightly controlled and can glide by in large part by waiting for and reacting to the latest Trump flare-up. Rarely do a few days go by without one.

The latest example came this weekend, when Trump slighted Ghazala Khan by suggesting during an ABC News interview on Sunday that she didn't speak on behalf of her fallen son at the Democratic National Convention last week because she wasn't allowed to. Khizr Kahn that night lectured Trump from the convention dais in Philadelphia, telling the GOP nominee, "You have sacrificed nothing and no one."

On the same day, in defending her use of a private email server, Clinton told Fox News that FBI Director James Comey had deemed her answers about the ordeal "truthful." The Washington Post's Fact Checker, pointing out that some of her emails did contain classified material, bestowed "Four Pinocchios" on her claim.

But Clinton's fib barely broke through the sea of outrage that poured down on Trump Monday. Voters have come to expect their politicians to play loose with the facts; they're not accustomed to throw-downs with families who have buried sons killed in service to the nation.

Sen. John McCain of Arizona rebuked Trump in a statement, saying he did not have the right to impugn "the best among us." Sally Bradshaw, a former top aide to Jeb Bush, told CNN she was leaving the party to become an independent, slamming Trump as a "total narcissist – a misogynist – a bigot." Stuart Stevens, a chief architect of Mitt Romney's 2012 presidential bid, called on the Republican National Committee to ask Trump to step aside and let his running mate, Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, head the ticket.

"This gives a whole new round of attention to Republicans who are hesitating on whether to support Donald Trump. What would drive Republicans is to remind them all of the reasons we don't want Hillary Clinton. That's not what we're doing right now," says Christian Ferry, the campaign manager for Sen. Lindsey Graham's presidential bid. "Right now, the entire news cycle has been all about Donald Trump and the Gold Star family, and I think the Gold Star family is going to come out on top of that."

Even without his quarrel with the Khans, Trump was going to be entering August facing a headwind. General election polls taken in the wake of the Democratic National Convention found Clinton ahead of Trump by 5 and 8 percentage points, with Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson and Green Party candidate Jill Stein included in the field. Following the Republican National Convention, CBS measured the race as a dead heat. But the network's weekend survey now has Clinton at 41 percent and Trump at 36 percent, with Johnson pulling 10 percent. Trump has ceded his advantage with independents and his favorability rating dwells at a dreadful 31 percent.

The battleground state picture looks equally as encouraging for the former secretary of state. Recent surveys of Pennsylvania – a state Trump has said he can win – have shown Clinton ahead by up to 9 points. In Missouri, a state that should be safely in Trump's column, a St. Louis Post-Dispatch poll found a surprisingly competitive contest.

Trump's assertion Sunday that Russian President Vladimir Putin is "not going into Ukraine," despite that country's incursion into Crimea in 2014, additionally raised fresh doubts about his knowledge of crucial worldwide events and fitness to be commander-in-chief. But it's also a mistake that should wash away more quickly because it doesn't raise the basic questions of decency and decorum expected of presidential candidates, which the Kahn episode does.

Taking on the parents of slain soldiers "is a no-win scenario, even if there's manifest media bias in comparison with coverage" of Clinton's vulnerabilities, says one veteran conservative consultant speaking on background in exchange for candor.

"There is an old Archie Bunker bit where Archie wants to sue a station wagon full of nuns. The lawyer walks, recognizing the futility," the consultant says. "One of the harder sells with clients is convincing them to take a hit and move on; there isn't always a counterstrategy. You just take the whuppin' and prep to pay them back in spades."

A statement released by Pence Sunday night attempted to clean up the damage, recognizing that Capt. Humayun Khan's sacrifice "should be cherished by every American," and pivoting to the broader war against the Islamic State group.

But Trump was back on Twitter early Monday, keeping the story alive by complaining about the soldier's father's appearances on television.

Trump's lack of discipline and his stubborn inclination to choose his gut over his advisers at any turn is the gift that keeps on giving to Clinton. Every appearance on Sunday morning television, or on evening cable news, or in the early morning hours on Twitter lends another opportunity for a fresh firestorm.

"This campaign has no message, no message discipline," Democratic strategist Steve McMahon told Bloomberg Television Monday evening. "They're walking themselves into this hole and then they're complaining about the hole they're in. It's the Trump campaign really against itself here."

There's little indication that there will be any sustained course correction going forward. Trump begins the doldrums of August playing from behind, though with so much game left to play, he's not dead yet

Republicans are left to grouse that he's doing everything to assist the inherently flawed Clinton, who remains an uninspiring and untrusted figure to the masses.

"Donald J. Trump is solving their problem by doing his just best to disqualify himself," the GOP consultant says.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-08-01/donald-trumps-chaos-offering-cover-for-hillary-clinton

SilentBull
08-05-2016, 06:30 AM
Yup. Great job Trumpsters. You backed maybe the only candidate that could lose against Clinton, possibly on purpose.

AngryCanadian
08-05-2016, 06:36 AM
Yup. Great job Trumpsters. You backed maybe the only candidate that could lose against Clinton, possibly on purpose.

At this point he might even drop out.

CaptUSA
08-05-2016, 06:50 AM

Yep. The only question is:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/35/b5/03/35b5036d8308df7b3bdaa74344660710.jpg

buck000
08-05-2016, 06:56 AM
I'm convinced that the "deal" he made was with Hillary, to try and assure her the victory. He (and Hillary) are probably just stunned when folks react positively to his comments. :p

Peace&Freedom
08-05-2016, 07:26 AM
The only mistake Trump has been making is going on the Sunday interview shows, where the Tappers, Todds and Stephanopouloses keep setting the narrative with their best leading questions. This is where most of the "controversies" have come from, as the MSM always ask him to defend himself on whatever subject, and not ask questions about attacking Hillary, thereby keeping the focus on criticizing Trump.

Also keep in mind that while Democratic leaders have been having Hillary's back, Republican leaders are backstabbing or back seat complaining about Trump during each of these flaps, often on the same news shows. Perhaps it's the GOP that lacks discipline. Regular voters watch these programs, as opposed to following tweets (or cable TV news carrying on about the tweets) and thus can be impacted. Trump should be sending only selected surrogates to the legacy media to better handle the hostile media mouse trapping.

Otherwise, the so-called 'chaos' has been actually providing splendid cover for Trump's progress, as he has quietly moved into near parity with Clinton on the fundraising front, while holding well-attended rallies. While Hillary has been furiously burning through her cash during the summer (aka, the months that don't matter) to stay above Trump in the battleground states, Trump has remained solidly within the margin of error on average without spending much at all. Overall his rope-a-dope tactic is working.

CaptUSA
08-05-2016, 07:31 AM
The only mistake Trump has been making is going on the Sunday interview shows, where the Tappers, Todds and Stephanopouloses keep setting the narrative with their best leading questions. This is where most of the "controversies" have come from, as the MSM always ask him to defend himself on whatever subject, not questions about attacking Hillary, thereby keeping the focus on criticizing Trump.

Also keep in mind that while Democratic leader have been having Hillary's back, Republican leaders are backstabbing or back seat complaining about Trump during each of these flaps, often on the same news shows. Perhaps it's the GOP that lacks discipline. Regular voters watch these programs, as opposed to following tweets (or cable TV news carrying on about the tweets) and thus can be impacted. Trump should be sending only selected surrogates to the legacy media to better handle the hostile media mouse trapping.

Otherwise, the so-called 'chaos' has been actually providing splendid cover for Trump's progress, as he has quietly moved into near parity with Clinton on the fundraising front, while holding well-attended rallies. While Hillary has been furiously burning through her cash during the summer (aka, the months that don't matter) to stay above Trump in the battleground states, Trump has remained solidly within the margin of error on average without spending much at all. Overall his rope-a-dope tactic is working.

https://i0.wp.com/media4.giphy.com/media/glmRyiSI3v5E4/giphy.gif?resize=350%2C200

KEEF
08-05-2016, 07:35 AM
At this point, like someone posted the other day in another thread, this is just too funny to watch now. The general public is so fucking retarded and get what they deserve. I guess kudos to the Powers That Be for fooling them all and our country to get us to the point where the majority were thinking some pompous TV personality was going to "Make America Great Again".

We we get what we deserve now, buckle up everyone, because I really think these next couple years will be ugly. I wouldn't be surprised if our government has some false flag set up for prior to the election to help seal their narrative for good.

Peace&Freedom
08-05-2016, 07:48 AM
https://i0.wp.com/media4.giphy.com/media/glmRyiSI3v5E4/giphy.gif?resize=350%2C200

Exactly George Foreman's reaction to being beaten by Ali. In the current remake, Trump is letting Hillary pre-exhaust herself early, and will deliver the knockout punch later. If the possibility of such a different interpretation (and 40 year old strategy) goes swish, over your head, you're the new Foreman.

qh4dotcom
08-05-2016, 07:50 AM
Polls can be rigged.

kahless
08-05-2016, 07:57 AM
The Khan controversy iprovided cover for Melania's nude pics that if were overblown by the media like they did with Khan would hurt him with religious conservatives far worse than the Khan controversy.

There is no downside to the Khan controversy with the right. No one on the right is buying the feigned outrage narrative the MSM and establishment Republicans are playing to take him down.

CaptUSA
08-05-2016, 07:59 AM
Exactly George Foreman's reaction to being beaten by Ali. In the current remake, Trump is letting Hillary pre-exhaust herself early, and will deliver the knockout punch later. If the possibility of such a different interpretation (and 40 year old strategy) goes swish, over your head, you're the new Foreman.

Lol - I hope you stick around after November. Of course, by that time, you'll be convincing yourself that Trump would have won if only the neocons and liberty folks would have formed a coalition behind him. It will be their fault - not Trump's.

kahless
08-05-2016, 08:01 AM
that Trump would have won if only the neocons and liberty folks would have formed a coalition behind him. It will be their fault - not Trump's.

If Trump loses that will be exactly who you can blame. Liberty folks are not thinking strategically at all are being led by the nose by the Neocons, the very people that will benefit from a Hillary win.

CaptUSA
08-05-2016, 08:06 AM
If Trump loses that will be exactly who you can blame. Liberty folks are not thinking strategically at all are being led by the nose by the Neocons, the very people that will benefit from a Hillary win.

Um no. Liberty folks wanted someone like Ron Paul. Rand was acceptable to some; Johnson acceptable to others; some didn't have a viable choice. But SOME were led astray by a con man. One perhaps hired by the very person you despise.

Don't blame us for your inadequacies!

robmpreston
08-05-2016, 08:13 AM

Haha, just no.

Like I said to my family the other day - even if Donald Trump was Ron Paul in every way in his views I still don't think I could vote for him.

The guy's issues aren't a media creation. He can't go 24 hours without putting his foot in his mouth. His narcissism is just on another level and he's not smart enough to learn from his mistakes.

LibertyEagle
08-05-2016, 08:19 AM
Um no. Liberty folks wanted someone like Ron Paul. Rand was acceptable to some; Johnson acceptable to others; some didn't have a viable choice. But SOME were led astray by a con man. One perhaps hired by the very person you despise.

Don't blame us for your inadequacies!

Haha, just no.

Like I said to my family the other day - even if Donald Trump was Ron Paul in every way in his views I still don't think I could vote for him.

The guy's issues aren't a media creation. He can't go 24 hours without putting his foot in his mouth. His narcissism is just on another level and he's not smart enough to learn from his mistakes.

You can flap all you want, but Trump is the only one who is against the TPP. If some of you had the brains that God gave you, you would realize that this has to be stopped or it is game over.

CaptUSA
08-05-2016, 08:27 AM
You can flap all you want, but Trump is the only one who is against the TPP. If some of you had the brains that God gave you, you would realize that this has to be stopped or it is game over.

Ugh, I know you're pretty single issue here, but we've been over this several times. Trump doesn't even know what TPP is. He's taking a populist, protectionist stand against a trade deal in order to convince people that America is getting screwed economically from these trade deals.

There are sovereignty concerns with TPP, for sure. THAT's where liberty folks take issue. Not with the trade aspects. Trump's position on TPP reflects Bernie Sanders' economics. But like I said, he thinks China is a party to the agreement.

If Trump were to somehow get elected, TPP would go through under another name and it will be a "great" deal. You're fooling yourself by falling for the con job.

LibertyEagle
08-05-2016, 08:29 AM
Ugh, I know you're pretty single issue here,
Yes, I don't want my country to go full Commie and be rolled into global government. You can call that a "single issue", but I think it is the ONLY ISSUE.

but we've been over this several times. Trump doesn't even know what TPP is. He's taking a populist, protectionist stand against a trade deal in order to convince people that America is getting screwed economically from these trade deals.

There are sovereignty concerns with TPP, for sure. THAT's where liberty folks take issue. Not with the trade aspects. Trump's position on TPP reflects Bernie Sanders' economics. But like I said, he thinks China is a party to the agreement.

If Trump were to somehow get elected, TPP would go through under another name and it will be a "great" deal. You're fooling yourself by falling for the con job.

He knows what it is. Schlafly would have made sure of that before she endorsed him.

NOTE: Look, Captain, I have said many times that it is always possible that Trump will turn around and stab us in the back like so many have before. But, he is the only candidate speaking out about these things. In other words, he is the only chance we have as far as the presidency goes. Johnson has already said he will sign it. Hillary helped write the damn thing. So, Trump is the only shot.

NOTE TO BRYAN: You don't want Trump promoted on your property. That's fine with me, but as you said, it's ok to rebut what people say about him here. That is what I am doing. I would much prefer not to have to.

kahless
08-05-2016, 09:18 AM
Yes, I don't want my country to go full Commie and be rolled into global government. You can call that a "single issue", but I think it is the ONLY ISSUE.

He knows what it is. Schlafly would have made sure of that before she endorsed him.

NOTE: Look, Captain, I have said many times that it is always possible that Trump will turn around and stab us in the back like so many have before. But, he is the only candidate speaking out about these things. In other words, he is the only chance we have as far as the presidency goes. Johnson has already said he will sign it. Hillary helped write the damn thing. So, Trump is the only shot.

This is about where I am at on a few issues and strategically it is a logical choice considering the political landscape this cycle. Surprising some here do not see that considering it is coming from members with a long history here which obviously means those making that choice are not signed on to everything he says and does.

devil21
08-05-2016, 09:53 AM
Is it too early to say "Nailed it. Told ya so."
?

Still a lot of time before the election though...

robmpreston
08-05-2016, 10:01 AM
I'm not sure if the TPP is worse than Trump starting a nuclear war. Sorry.

Wooden Indian
08-05-2016, 10:02 AM
In fairness, while he does walk face first into controversy, the media would be going after any Republican right now even if they had to make shit up. They're all perfect for each other. Soulless bastards.

Ender
08-05-2016, 10:54 AM

NOTE TO BRYAN: You don't want Trump promoted on your property. That's fine with me, but as you said, it's ok to rebut what people say about him here. That is what I am doing. I would much prefer not to have to.

Ron Paul:

PAUL: No, no, I mean, I was very explicit about that, I won’t vote for Donald Trump.

BANFIELD: Would you just not vote then or would you vote for the Democratic ticket?

PAUL: No, I had mentioned that we should have none of the above, and then you should pick another candidate, you know, if you can’t stand any of them and you happen to be a dedicated progressive, you ought to make your vote count and vote for the green party and if happen to be a libertarian, vote for the libertarian party.

But to vote for the lesser two evils, I don’t think make it possible, and I know I get a lot of (inaudible) oh, no, from the Republicans, Conservatives I think they would absolutely Trump is so far superior. But quite frankly I’m not sure exactly what he’ll do and that bothers me as well because he does — he can give two positions in one speech, I don’t know if you noticed that or not. But he …

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2016/04/02/ron-paul-none-ballot-choice/

SilentBull
08-06-2016, 05:41 AM
https://youtu.be/9tzEhdaRxck

ChristianAnarchist
08-06-2016, 06:57 AM
The sheit is about to hit the fan folks. After Hitlery steals the election with help from the Trumpsters expect to give up all those guns you purchased from gun dealers in the last 20 years. Your names are registered and your goons in blue will be knocking on your door expecting you to give them up. Yeah, you know, those "heroes" you are supposed to be worshiping at every ball game and even at the airport as they subject you to having your underwear checked. The "heroes" are going to ask you nicely for your guns (just kidding) and then they are going to blast you if you fail to comply...