PDA

View Full Version : US sent $400 million in cash to Iran as prisoners were freed, WSJ reports

puppetmaster
08-03-2016, 04:27 AM
Euros, Swiss francs and other currencies were packed into wooden pallets and flown to Iran on an unmarked cargo plane, the paper added. The money was procured from the Dutch and Swiss central banks.

Then they sneak it in.....http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-02/white-house-caught

State and Treasury departments sought the cooperation of the Swiss and Dutch governments. Ultimately, the Obama administration transferred the equivalent of $400 million to their central banks. It was then converted into other currencies, stacked onto the wooden pallets and sent to Iran on board a cargo plane

Wow the shit the US government gets away with would put any other American in jail for life.

SewrRatt
08-03-2016, 04:41 AM
Link is broken.

juleswin
08-03-2016, 04:53 AM
I don't get the outrage, first of all, what is why is it wrong that they snuck the money into the country? If I was transporting $400m, I too would be sneaking around and be discrete about it. Also, the headline sorta implied that the money was given because Iran freed hostages because it mentioned the 400m with freeing prisoner but the money could easily be part of the payment for their money the US govt seized after the embassy takeover which was authorized by congress (I think).

puppetmaster
08-03-2016, 09:31 PM
It was a sneaky back room deal that needs congressional approval to spend 1.7 billion of US funds.

angelatc
08-03-2016, 10:02 PM
I don't get the outrage, first of all, what is why is it wrong that they snuck the money into the country? If I was transporting $400m, I too would be sneaking around and be discrete about it. Also, the headline sorta implied that the money was given because Iran freed hostages because it mentioned the 400m with freeing prisoner but the money could easily be part of the payment for their money the US govt seized after the embassy takeover which was authorized by congress (I think).

Uh, if the cash was being returned that's one thing. But if it really was a ransom, as the media seem to be leaning, then there's an embargo, so it's illegal.

Ha ha ha ha! There's that word again....

oyarde
08-03-2016, 10:45 PM
Uh, if the cash was being returned that's one thing. But if it really was a ransom, as the media seem to be leaning, then there's an embargo, so it's illegal.

Ha ha ha ha! There's that word again.... Yep , illegal.

Ender
08-03-2016, 11:39 PM

The money belongs to Iran:

Part of the severe sanctions that were imposed on Iran included restrictions on banking. Iran had sold, and delivered, large quantities of oil to several countries, including China, India, Japan, and South Korea. But they were not able to pay for the oil, so the money was kept in banks in those countries. As part of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (Page on state.gov) negotiated between Iran and the P5+1, and unanimously approved by the UN Security Council, those banking restrictions will be lifted. Iran will then be able to receive its own money, that had been sequestered.

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-Iran-nuclear-deal-give-Iran-150-billion

timosman
08-04-2016, 12:12 AM
What's the big deal? We do it all the time.

https://google.com/search?q=obama+500+million

phill4paul
08-04-2016, 03:44 AM
If the money were part of the lifting of seized assets why would it not be electronically transferred? Do countries usually buy oil with plane loads of cash?

puppetmaster
08-04-2016, 04:59 AM
Ok been thinking. If it is all on the up and up why not just transfer the monies electronically? We do have the accounts since we froze them. Why organize a red eye covert flight if it is what they say it is....it is bullshit.

juleswin
08-04-2016, 05:57 AM
If the money were part of the lifting of seized assets why would it not be electronically transferred? Do countries usually buy oil with plane loads of cash?

Maybe because the attempt to use the Dutch or Swiss govt to do it failed. I am not sure if all sanctions especially the ones in the banking sector has been lifted. So that might be a reason. Another thing is this, I find it hard to believe that the Obama admin who has been fight a proxy war against Iran for 5 yrs + would just give them $400 m free money for some hostages. My guess would be that they rather send that money in JDAMS, cruise missiles and TOW missiles raining on their soil rather than cash.

This administration hates Iran just a little less than Trump/Clinton

Occam's Banana
08-04-2016, 07:06 AM
Ok been thinking. If it is all on the up and up why not just transfer the monies electronically? We do have the accounts since we froze them. Why organize a red eye covert flight if it is what they say it is....it is bullshit.

I recall a story about a guy who was pissed about his property taxes - so out of spite, he insisted on paying it all in pennies.

This may be the same sort of thing ...

dean.engelhardt
08-04-2016, 07:13 AM
I don't agree with Mike Pence very much, but in this case he is right. The federal government just put a price on the head of every American.

angelatc
08-04-2016, 09:14 AM
Honestly? I do not care. I'd rather send money to Iran in exchange for goods and services, but if we're handing out money to everybody else we might as well put them on the dole too.

Having said that...paying them $400 million that's been theirs since 1979 and hostages coincidentally get released? Not buying it, but gotta admire the "We'll pay you using your own money," that's awesome.

timosman
08-04-2016, 09:59 AM
The current administration is the most transparent of them all. Or so I am told.

Ender
08-04-2016, 10:07 AM

The US did the same with Iraq's money- only a lot of soldiers grabbed, according to the story.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/feb/08/usa.iraq1

I think the press is all part of keeping Iran the bad guy in the eyes of the public.

puppetmaster
08-04-2016, 10:18 AM
The US did the same with Iraq's money- only a lot of soldiers grabbed, according to the story.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/feb/08/usa.iraq1

I think the press is all part of keeping Iran the bad guy in the eyes of the public. and on that note....I want to see what happened to the money they sent us...was it cash...bet not. But where did it go? In otherwords.....do you have a receipt?

Ender
08-04-2016, 11:06 AM
and on that note....I want to see what happened to the money they sent us...was it cash...bet not. But where did it go? In otherwords.....do you have a receipt?

You mean the money they sent you & me? :eek:

Never got here. ;)

puppetmaster
08-04-2016, 11:09 AM
You mean the money they sent you & me? :eek:

Never got here. ;) yep that is what I want to know. Who has it? Who kept it? Government or the contractors

ArrestPoliticians
08-04-2016, 11:33 AM
non-issue that the war hawks will jump on

puppetmaster
08-04-2016, 12:02 PM
non-issue that the war hawks will jump on non issue my ass. I want to know where the money went and came from. The media says it's a non issue so that must mean it needs to be swept under the rug. I don't care about Iran I care about our corrupt government

Ender
08-04-2016, 02:35 PM
non issue my ass. I want to know where the money went and came from. The media says it's a non issue so that must mean it needs to be swept under the rug. I don't care about Iran I care about our corrupt government

All I've "heard" is that Iran sold oil to various countries and then was put under sanctions and not allowed to collect the money owed. Supposedly most of the bucks have been held in the banks- BUT- as we all know, money is nothing but key strokes, so who knows.

juleswin
08-04-2016, 02:52 PM
and on that note....I want to see what happened to the money they sent us...was it cash...bet not. But where did it go? In otherwords.....do you have a receipt?

They didn't send any money to the US. We just seized the monies they have in the territories we controlled. So, the monies belonging to the Iranian govt that were in US banks all of a sudden belonged to the US govt after the hostage crisis.

juleswin
08-04-2016, 02:56 PM
All I've "heard" is that Iran sold oil to various countries and then was put under sanctions and not allowed to collect the money owed. Supposedly most of the bucks have been held in the banks- BUT- as we all know, money is nothing but key strokes, so who knows.

"The United States does not pay ransoms," Kerry told a news conference in the Argentine capital Buenos Aires.

He said the transfer, which came out of a long-standing Iranian claim at the Iran-United States Claims Tribunal in The Hague, was negotiated on a separate track from the nuclear deal.

By settling the claim, it saved U.S. taxpayers potentially billions of dollars in further interest payments, Kerry added.

"We believe this agreement for the $400 million that was paid in interest and settlement of the case actually saved the American taxpayer potentially billions of dollars," Kerry said.

"There was no benefit to the United States of America to drag this out," he said. "It would have worked against the interests of our taxpayers and with the nuclear deal done, the prisoners released, the time was right to take advantage of that and resolve the dispute in the way that it was resolved."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kerry-defends-400-million-payment-iran-says-u-154121585.html

Essentially, this is him saying that it was money owed to the Iranians that were being returned. No American of any party is in favor of giving Iran money for ransom.

puppetmaster
08-04-2016, 02:59 PM
I heard different. I heard it was for weapons sales. The monies seized and held in limbo.were just released back. There was no need for covert cash unless it was a backroom deal.

puppetmaster
08-04-2016, 03:03 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/kerry-defends-400-million-payment-iran-says-u-154121585.html

Essentially, this is him saying that it was money owed to the Iranians that were being returned. No American of any party is in favor of giving Iran money for ransom. Kerry lies with every breath. Again why fly it in at the dead of night when you can just transfer it ? It is absolutely a scam 100%

juleswin
08-04-2016, 03:13 PM
Kerry lies with every breath. Again why fly it in at the dead of night when you can just transfer it ? It is absolutely a scam 100%

I dunno why they did what they did, the part that is fucking with me is why any US administration would want to give any extra money to the very hated, very anti American Iranian govt? Why do you think they gave them this money?

Personally, I think the fact that they tried to do the transfer through the Dutch and Swiss govt tells me that is wasn't some covert operation type sh*t to dash Iran free money.

Lastly, like I always say, nobody lies all the time and this time< I think Kerry is telling the truth.

puppetmaster
08-04-2016, 03:22 PM
I dunno why they did what they did, the part that is fucking with me is why any US administration would want to give any extra money to the very hated, very anti American Iranian govt? Why do you think they gave them this money?

Personally, I think the fact that they tried to do the transfer through the Dutch and Swiss govt tells me that is wasn't some covert operation type sh*t to dash Iran free money.

Lastly, like I always say, nobody lies all the time and this time< I think Kerry is telling the truth.

They used non Federal Reserve cash because they said it against the law to use US funds ..seriously who would prosecute? Lynch? ....but if it was their money already then it would not matter because you were not "giving" them anything but just releasing it.

timosman
08-04-2016, 10:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtMujJ93LpI

pcosmar
08-04-2016, 11:33 PM
non-issue that the war hawks will jump on

I would guess so.

400 mil is rather low for reparations,, considering we set up and propped up the vicious Dictator that they overthrew.

Savak was built by the US,,

but they don't bring that up.

Suzanimal
08-05-2016, 06:22 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=14&v=RWM8S9J_dNo

Transparency? Ha! US State Dept spokesman laughs hysterically at press briefing

Mark Toner, the deputy spokesman for the US State Department, literally burst out laughing at the idea of transparency and democracy during an official press briefing on Thursday.

“Welcome to the State Department,” began Toner. “I think we have some interns in the back. Welcome.

“Good to see you in this exercise in transparency and democracy,” said the spokesperson, before he and the whole room erupted into a fit of laughter.

“Is that what it is?” asked one reporter. “I thought it was an exercise in spin and obfuscation.”

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to break out in laughter,” added Toner after he eventually regained his composure.

Later in the briefing, Toner deflected questions about the recently reported transfer of $400 million from the US government to Iran on the same day in January this year that four Americans were released from Tehran.

“[The] bottom line is that we generally make a practice of not commenting publicly on the details of these kinds of transactions such as settlement payments,” Toner responded. “We don’t normally even identify the parties involved, and that’s just due to the confidential nature of these transactions.”

The spokesperson refused to confirm any of the reported details surrounding the alleged transaction, prompting one reporter to quip, “Well, let me just make the point that that doesn’t seem very transparent.”

https://www.rt.com/usa/354710-state-dept-media-transparency/

Lucille
08-17-2016, 05:08 PM
Obama Lied: New Details Confirm $400 Million Given To Iran Was Indeed "Hostage Ransom"
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-17/obama-lied-new-details-confirm-400-million-given-iran-was-indeed-hostage-ransom

So to summarize - Obama lied; the administration did indeed make a $400 million in exchange for the release of four hostages (if it walks like a ransom, and talks like a ransom, it is a ransom)

timosman
06-25-2019, 07:52 PM
bump