PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Trump forces think they can get a candidate next week

CPUd
07-20-2016, 09:11 AM
Anti-Trump forces think they can get a candidate next week

Donald Trump's most persistent opponents from the Right believe that they can recruit a major presidential candidate to run in the fall election, perhaps even within the next several days.

"We believe that it's not only possible but it is plausible that a candidate will emerge, will get on the ballot, and will fight to give Americans a better option, and so we're not giving up," Better for America chief strategist Joel Searby said Tuesday evening before a like-minded crowd in Cleveland.

Searby offered that comfort to a group of conservative activists and writers who opposed Donald Trump over the last several months just as Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-Ala., formally nominated the real estate mogul to be the GOP standard-bearer in the fall presidential election, and one day after a last-ditch #NeverTrump rebellion failed on the floor of the Republican National Convention.

They even insisted that the logistical impediments to launching a third-party candidacy — access to ballots in various states not least among them — could still be overcome.

Stay abreast of the latest developments from nation's capital and beyond with curated News Alerts from the Washington Examiner news desk and delivered to your inbox.

For the logistical questions to matter, however, the third-party optimists need a candidate. Searby refused to name any names, but he hinted that a candidate such at 2012 GOP nominee Mitt Romney — not Romney, perhaps, but someone of his stature — might still make a bid for the White House.

"More and more Americans of the highest stature have reached out to us and continue to ask questions," he said. "We're getting calls and emails that say, 'now, tell me again how I can do this?' And so I just want to give you hope that there are a lot of Americans who are looking at this moment and saying we have to do better."

One official involved with the effort said privately that another shooting or terrorist attack might serve as a "catalyzing event" for one of those prospective candidates. The recent spate of violence at home and abroad was certainly on the minds of the crowd.

"Our hearts grieve against the backdrop of just the last week, Nice, followed by Turkey, followed by Baton Rouge — and that's just three days," John Kingston, a conservative political donor who has worked with the Weekly Standard's Bill Kristol to draft a candidate, told attendees. "And the concept that the best we can do is represented by these two candidates sits very very heavily on our hearts."

If a candidate were to step forward, he or she would have to clear two logistical hurdles to mount a campaign that could contend for the White House. One is the last-minute staffing and fundraising that would be required, and the other is making sure the third-party candidate's name appears on the ballot across the country, even in states such as Texas where the deadline has already passed.

The Better for America team expects to unveil a legal argument for challenging the constitutionality of such ballot deadlines, buttressed by conservative heavyweight legal scholars, in the coming days.

They maintain that they'll have the money and the campaign staff to mount a competitive campaign, bolstered by disheartened Trump opponents. They even think that team could win the White House outright, rather than merely throw the race to presumptive Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, if they can find a center-right presidential nominee to run with a centrist vice presidential candidate as their standard-bearers.

"We think we can spool up a presidential campaign in a matter of days, that's how much talent we have," Searby said.

Still, the optimism was too much for some attendees. National Review senior editor Ramesh Ponnuru, whose magazine memorably released an "Against Trump" issue before the Iowa Caucuses, turned to a friend during the speeches and remarked that the event brought to mind the famous line from the movie "Clockwork Orange": "It's not the despair. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand."

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2597034

CaptUSA
07-20-2016, 09:19 AM
Oh give it up...

The GOP just really needs to punt this year. Kick the ball to the Dems and play defense until you can try again. They've already fumbled the ball back too far and had too many penalties. Besides, think of how great President Hillary will be for RNC fundraising!

silverhandorder
07-20-2016, 09:23 AM
Lol another wrong prediction CPUd?

AuH20
This could actually boost Trump.

Cleaner44
Anti-Trump forces are morons.

CPUd
07-20-2016, 09:24 AM
If they get someone, it won't be to win. They need someone to get people out to the polls to save the House/Senate races where they can.

AuH20
07-20-2016, 09:25 AM
Anti-Trump forces are morons.

I don't mind the anti-Trump forces that don't like him on say something like spending or civil liberties. But a majority of them are either Beltway traitors like Cato or unapologetic Neocons.

Peace&Freedom
07-20-2016, 09:27 AM
If they get someone, it won't be to win. They need someone to get people out to the polls to save the House/Senate races where they can.

Romney running in 4 Mormon heavy states (UT, NV, ID, AZ) would have been a plausible way to beat Trump, but he didn't want the heat for costing the GOP the election. It's over.

Cleaner44
07-20-2016, 09:32 AM
I don't mind the anti-Trump forces that don't like him on say something like spending or civil liberties. But a majority of them are either Beltway traitors like Cato or unapologetic Neocons.

There is plenty I don't like about him, but he will be the next president and Republicans that come to grips with that are being stupid.

euphemia
07-20-2016, 09:33 AM
Where were these people two years ago? Four years ago? Eight years ago?

CPUd
07-20-2016, 09:33 AM
There is plenty I don't like about him, but he will be the next president and Republicans that come to grips with that are being stupid.

How's he going to do that with 25% women, 1% black, 10% latinos?

AuH20
07-20-2016, 09:59 AM

Most of the Trump detractors are people who have been playing footsies with the neoliberals with decades. Their reputation is nil.

CPUd
07-20-2016, 10:07 AM
Most of the Trump detractors are people who have been playing footsies with the neoliberals with decades. Their reputation is nil.

Trump detractors are more diverse than that. Some of them just want to be able to vote for a conservative.

CaptUSA
07-20-2016, 10:20 AM
Trump detractors are more diverse than that. Some of them just want to be able to vote for a conservative.

Certainly more diverse than the pro-Trump forces. My take is that Trump is trying to unite the "'Merica F'yeah" demographic with the "It's got to be better than Hillary" demographic into a winning coalition. Hell, it might work.

CPUd
07-20-2016, 10:24 AM
Certainly more diverse than the pro-Trump forces. My take is that Trump is trying to unite the "'Merica F'yeah" demographic with the "It's got to be better than Hillary" demographic into a winning coalition. Hell, it might work.

There's not enough of them, and he's been bragging about crushing dissent within the party through the entire convention, while at the same time thinking he could try to get Sanders supporters.

CaptUSA
07-20-2016, 10:27 AM
There's not enough of them, and he's been bragging about crushing dissent within the party through the entire convention, while at the same time thinking he could try to get Sanders supporters.

Lol, I think you may be underestimating the size of the "It's got to be better than Hillary" demographic. It rivals the size of the "It's got to be better than Trump" demo.

enhanced_deficit
07-20-2016, 10:30 AM
How about Bill Kristol or Paul Wolfovitz as anti Trump candidate?

Rest of the war lobbies neocons seem to be hiding or quiet, these two are still making some noise.

CPUd
07-20-2016, 10:39 AM
It's much worse on social media than what we see on RPFs. I can see why they can't be trusted to vote in the Congressional races, they are barely literate:

http://i.imgur.com/p17xyr0.png

But these are also the ones who believe the Trump campaign and the party elites when they say it's only (((the neocons))) in the party who are against Trump. Yesterday and today, they are finding out the hard way when people are still telling them LOL no. As you may imagine, they aren't taking it too well.

jllundqu
07-20-2016, 10:45 AM
This whole "Better for America" 'movement' is about one thing and one thing only, and it Ain't presidential politics. It's about money $$....

Right now there's a big market for conservatives who don't like trump. So in steps "Better for America" with their "there is a better way" ads.... send us your money.... DONATE TODAY!

CPUd
07-20-2016, 10:48 AM
One of those PACs raised $8M in June. I'd like to think they put that money in Congressional races, but it could be 3-6 months after the money is spent before they have to file the financials.

Zippyjuan
07-20-2016, 11:33 AM
If there was somebody with a big enough name and the money and desire to be President they would have already entered the race before the primaries. A third party is not going to happen.

Peace&Freedom
07-20-2016, 11:51 AM

The most recent polls, such as the Rasmussen polls of LIKELY voters shows Trump either pulling away from Hillary or closing to a statistical tie:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2016/white_house_watch

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/07/18/polls-trump-electoral-edge-today/

CPUd
07-20-2016, 07:04 PM
http://i.imgur.com/xjQufZo.png

RandallFan
07-20-2016, 07:41 PM
The old white bigots of the gerrymandered GOP House seats will save the day. It's a pity Gary Johnson isn't legally allowed to put his boot into these lowlifes.

-Murica First

-Dont import 100 million third world immigrants

They call this crap, policy?

Feelgood
07-20-2016, 07:49 PM
How's he going to do that with 25% women, 1% black, 10% latinos?

You and your quoted poll numbers have been wrong 100% of the time. Why would anyone listen to you or anyone else that continue to spew fraudulent info? Have you personally polled 100% of the people that your posting numbers about? If so, can you show us your personal data to back up your claims?

This entire election cycle is lost because of bad information being propagated and disseminated continuously by people like you. You have a track record of being wrong 100% of the time. When are you going to do all of us here a favor and just go away?!

Maybe when people like you start to go away, THEN perhaps Trump's numbers will start to go down. You are doing the cause of Liberty a great dis-service.

CPUd
07-20-2016, 07:53 PM
You and your quoted poll numbers have been wrong 100% of the time. Why would anyone listen to you or anyone else that continue to spew fraudulent info? Have you personally polled 100% of the people that your posting numbers about? If so, can you show us your personal data to back up your claims?

This entire election cycle is lost because of bad information being propagated and disseminated continuously by people like you. You have a track record of being wrong 100% of the time. When are you going to do all of us here a favor and just go away?!

Maybe when people like you start to go away, THEN perhaps Trump's numbers will start to go down. You are doing the cause of Liberty a great dis-service.

Perhaps you could show where these votes would be coming from, and who would need to turn out for Trump to win. Here's one where I am very generous to Trump with the hungry white uneducateds:

http://i.imgur.com/IrM67i6.png
http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-swing-the-election/

Tywysog Cymru
07-20-2016, 08:08 PM
Perhaps you could show where these votes would be coming from, and who would need to turn out for Trump to win. Here's one where I am very generous to Trump with the hungry white uneducateds:
http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-swing-the-election/

You need to adjust those numbers because Trump says he's going to win the Hispanic vote.