PDA

View Full Version : Iowa High Schools' Caucus Results

John of Des Moines
12-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Attended two High School caucus training days, City HS, Iowa City (urban, duh) and Dike-New Hartford (rural).
The results:

City HS - Tuesday:
Paul – 20
Giuliani – 18
Huckabee – 17
Romney – 11
McCain – 3
Tancredo – 3
Hunter – 3
Thompson - 2

Held in auditorium. Top four had campaign reps. Class time 45 minutes, each rep gave 5 minute stump speech, then students could visit with reps. The others the instructors read a short statement about that candidate. Being first to arrive I took up a 20 ft thigh-high wall with campaign lit, bumper stickers, buttons, dvds, and Revolution bags to put their collection in and plastered the walls with signs. Some students were allowed to vote in both D and R caucuses if in two classes participating, they vote at the end of each class period. Only students old enough (or will be) to vote participated. Lunch: a deli sub, chips, milk and they turned on the Coke machine in the teachers' lounge for us. ;)

Dike-New Hartford HS - Wednesday:
Huck - 36
Paul - 29
McC - 18
Mitt - 3
All others zero.

Senior HS with about 250 students. Groups of students were shuffled in and out for 15 minutes or so. Gave presentation and took q & a. Then after lunch (chicken fajitas, spaghetti, side salad, chocolate milk) students decided whether to caucus D or R. Republicans caucused in the school library. A student for each candidate got an opportunity to speak, and when nobody spoke for McCain his rep did, :mad::mad: Only Paul, Huck and Mitt had students speak for them. Then other students were allowed to speak for their candidate, with Paul and Huck students dueling it out for 30 minutes. Huck's students kept appealing to fear, pity, and other false premise arguments.

Fun was had by all. And may I said school lunch isn't what it use to be.

AtomiC
12-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Wow that's great. There seems to be a lot of people jumping on the Huck bandwagon though.

nist7
12-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Very cool stuff!

It looks like the battle may come down to between Huck and Dr. Paul.

ronpaulblogsdotcom
12-08-2007, 12:35 PM
So was the school lunch better or worse now? i am not sure.

nist7
12-08-2007, 12:37 PM
So was the school lunch better or worse now? i am not sure.

With Ron Paul on the menu, the diners are getting the delicious taste of freedom!

dirka
12-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Wow that's great. There seems to be a lot of people jumping on the Huck bandwagon though.

I wouldn't worry to much, his bandwagon is made of balsa wood and will crash and burn within the week. Just as Mitt's has.