PDA

View Full Version : Man Overboard!

tod evans
07-14-2016, 12:54 PM
East Coast fishermen spar with federal government over cost of at-sea monitors

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/14/east-coast-fishermen-spar-with-federal-government-over-cost-at-sea-monitors.html

Every year, the federal government spends millions monitoring New England commercial fishermen to ensure they ply their timeless maritime trade in accordance with the law.

Now, a judge is set to rule on who should foot the bill for the on-board monitors: the government or the fishing boat owners. The East Coast fishermen say sticking them with the bill would be the "death knell" for their industry and is illegal on the part of the federal government.

Fishermen of important New England food species such as cod and haddock will have to start paying the cost of at-sea monitors soon under new rules. Monitors -- third-party workers hired to observe fishermen’s compliance with federal regulations -- collect data to help determine future fishing quotas and can cost about $18,000 a year, or $710 per voyage.

“It is unlawful for NOAA to force struggling fishermen to pay for their own at-sea monitors," said former federal judge Alfred Lechner, the institute's president and CEO. "The significant costs of these regulations should be the responsibility of the government."

The lawsuit was filed against the Department of Commerce on behalf of David Goethel, owner and operator of F/V Ellen Diane, a 44-foot trawler based in Hampton, N.H., and Northeast Fishery Sector 13, a nonprofit representing fishermen from Massachusetts to North Carolina.

It called the transfer of payments the "death knell for much of what remains of a once-thriving ground fish industry that has been decimated by burdensome federal overreach."

“Fishing is my passion and it's how I’ve made a living, but right now, I’m extremely fearful that I won’t be able to do what I love and provide for my family if I’m forced to pay out of pocket for at-sea monitors,” Goethel said when the suit was filed last December.

“I’m doing this not only to protect myself, but to stand up for others out there like me whose livelihoods are in serious jeopardy," he said.

NOAA decided last November that the industry would have to take over funding of monitors in 2016, saying the government's money had run out.

However, NOAA later revised its position about how much money it had, resulting in more assistance to the fishermen. Agency officials announced last month that NOAA will reimburse New England fishermen for an estimated 85 percent of the remaining cost of at-sea monitors in 2016. NOAA still plans to force fishermen to pay for monitors in 2017.

U.S. District Judge Joseph Laplante is expected to make a ruling any day in the case.

In a statement to FoxNews.com, NOAA stressed the importance of the monitoring system to curb overfishing and assess the abundance of certain species. Under the law, fishermen are required to bring in everything they catch, even if they subject them to fines and other penalties that cut into profits. Without monitoring, they do not always comply.

"The at-sea monitoring (ASM) program provides reliable estimates of catch (kept and discarded) by each groundfish sector in order to ensure their annual catch limits are not exceeded during the fishing year," the agency said.

"This helps prevent overages that could stop a sector from fishing during the current year or result in a reduced quota in a subsequent year. The quotas are set to prevent overfishing and improve stock numbers where necessary," the statement continued.

The Boston Globe reported in April that fishermen and on-board federal regulators are set to launch an experimental new program that would replace government observers with cameras, computers, and sensors to monitor their catch.

But the potential alternative, critics say, would be even more of a burden, costing vessels as much as $50,000, according to estimates.

Danke
07-14-2016, 02:07 PM
Sounds like a good job for AF when he retires.

BTW, neither government nor fishermen will pay for this, the consumer will.

bunklocoempire
07-14-2016, 02:20 PM
NAVY FAIL

Pirates.

presence
07-14-2016, 02:24 PM
“It is unlawful for NOAA to force struggling fishermen to pay for their own at-sea monitors,"

meh, how is this any different than requiring me to pay auto insurance?

air bags? motor vehicle inspection?

obamacare?

its all the same shit.

euphemia
07-14-2016, 02:35 PM
The fisherman is constitutionally protected against self-incrimination. The government pays.

Danke
07-14-2016, 02:36 PM
The fisherman is constitutionally protected against self-incrimination. The government pays.

No, you pay.

euphemia
07-14-2016, 02:38 PM
I get that, but the fisherman should not pay.

Anti Federalist
07-14-2016, 04:55 PM
Having started in fishing, it's stunning how much freedom has been lost in my lifetime.

donnay
07-14-2016, 05:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVlDSzbrH5M

Weston White
07-14-2016, 11:15 PM
Don't they get to write it off as a business expense? Though how is this not a 5th Amend violation? Also, what about insurance liability issues, forcing them to staff space and shipboard features for an extra passenger and keep watch over them while aboard, how is that not unethical, it is on par with the 3rd Amend.

pcosmar
07-15-2016, 12:11 AM
Having started in fishing, it's stunning how much freedom has been lost in my lifetime.

I understand.

but help me,,,, or others,,, who do not completely understand.

just how hard it would be to hire someone,,, like me.

or stay in business in general'.

I understand I am a particular wrench in the gears. BUT JUST IN GENERAL.

pcosmar
07-15-2016, 01:23 AM

As a resident outlaw,, and habitual "R"voter.

I concur.

Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all.

Intoxiklown
07-15-2016, 02:16 PM
I'd work those bastards like cotton slaves, and make sure I got every penny and more out of them.

Be all nice and polite..........until we were a few miles from shore. Then explain maritime law to them, and how telling the Captain of a boat you're on isn't really athing you want to do. Unless you're a hell of a swimmer, that is.

osan
07-15-2016, 04:30 PM
“It is unlawful for NOAA to force struggling fishermen to pay for their own at-sea monitors," said former federal judge Alfred Lechner, the institute's president and CEO. "The significant costs of these regulations should be the responsibility of the government."

Is this ignorance? Corruption?

Here is a former federal judge spewing nonsense about "the government". "Government" pays for nothing. WE pay for everything... all this talk of "government" is pure nonsense. As if they earned even one red cent of the monies they expropriate from us at the ends of their many guns.

Alfred needs a good beating with an iron bar that he might learn how not to spew bullshit.