PDA

View Full Version : Trump's VP search enters frenzied phase

Jan2017
07-14-2016, 07:37 AM
Donald Trump's vice presidential search turned into a head-spinning melodrama Wednesday as candidates vying for the spot
hopped on planes and phones to perform frenzied, last-minute try-outs.

For much of the day, Indiana was the unlikely center of the political world -- all thanks to a flat tire.

Trump's plane hit something when it landed Tuesday night, resulting in a popped tire, according to a source familiar with the process.
That kept Trump in the state longer than he expected after campaigning with Gov. Mike Pence, setting off a last-minute scramble
of high-profile travelers to the Hoosier State as the clock ticked down on his VP decision.

Trump's search is entering its final phase. Paul Manafort, his campaign chairman, told CNN Wednesday evening that Trump will make his announcement Friday in New York.

Trump later tweeted:
"I will be making the announcement of my Vice Presidential pick on Friday at 11am in Manhattan. Details to follow."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/13/politics/donald-trump-vice-presidential-candidate-us-election/index.html

"I'm narrowing it down. I mean I'm at three, potentially four. But in my own mind, I probably am thinking about two," he said.

Trump/Pence 2016 -or- Trump/Sessions 2016 ?

phill4paul
07-14-2016, 07:58 AM
"I'm narrowing it down. I mean I'm at three, potentially four. But in my own mind, I probably am thinking about two," he said.

But, possibly one, though I know of five, I'm a negotiator, so I like to keep my numbers options on the table. :rolleyes:

gaazn
07-14-2016, 08:00 AM
Pundits are wrong. It's going to be Rick Santorum.

CaptUSA
07-14-2016, 08:11 AM

Seems fitting.

I'm still holding out for Gene Simmons. Or Janice Dickinson. Anything to keep the reality show ratings high.

AtlantaIconoclast
07-14-2016, 08:19 AM
I have noticed that whenever the media brings up General Flynn, it is always discounting his chances. Might be because General Flynn basically admitted in an Al Jazeera interview regarding the 2012 DIA Memo, that the US and other powers had been supporting ISIS to help get rid of Assad.

Ender
07-14-2016, 08:29 AM
Seems fitting.

I'm still holding out for Gene Simmons. Or Janice Dickinson. Anything to keep the reality show ratings high.

I'd prefer Tim Curry- might even consider Trump if that happened. ;)

luctor-et-emergo
07-14-2016, 09:23 AM
Donald Trump's vice presidential search turned into a head-spinning melodrama Wednesday as candidates vying for the spot
hopped on planes and phones to perform frenzied, last-minute try-outs.

For much of the day, Indiana was the unlikely center of the political world -- all thanks to a flat tire.

Trump's plane hit something when it landed Tuesday night, resulting in a popped tire, according to a source familiar with the process.
That kept Trump in the state longer than he expected after campaigning with Gov. Mike Pence, setting off a last-minute scramble
of high-profile travelers to the Hoosier State as the clock ticked down on his VP decision.

Trump's search is entering its final phase. Paul Manafort, his campaign chairman, told CNN Wednesday evening that Trump will make his announcement Friday in New York.

Trump later tweeted:
"I will be making the announcement of my Vice Presidential pick on Friday at 11am in Manhattan. Details to follow."
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/13/politi...ion/index.html

Trump/Pence 2016 -or- Trump/Sessions 2016 ?

(quoted for readability)

[please, please, don't color your text for the sake of everyone that's using a non-default theme, thanks]

AuH20
07-14-2016, 09:24 AM

As an olive branch to the goofy religious right? Ugh.

kahless
07-14-2016, 09:39 AM
Listening to Gingrich last night discussing the choice down to him and Pence it sounded to me like it will be Pence. If not I suspect Trump and friends maybe playing us and he may surprise us with someone that has not be floated in the media.

brushfire
07-14-2016, 09:41 AM
Hmm... Trumps decision seems definitely probable. :)

Ender
07-14-2016, 10:03 AM

You guys really want 4 years of that? :eek:

CPUd
07-14-2016, 10:18 AM
Listening to Gingrich last night discussing the choice down to him and Pence it sounded to me like it will be Pence. If not I suspect Trump and friends maybe playing us and he may surprise us with someone that has not be floated in the media.

It won't be a surprise, they need to make sure the delegates will go for it. They may go for Pence, I doubt they will be onboard for Christie.

Ender
07-14-2016, 10:28 AM
Mike Pence, Leading Trump VP Candidate, Has Sealed Off Records From His 12 Years In Congress

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mike-pence-sealed-records_us_5786778fe4b03fc3ee4edf55

CPUd
07-14-2016, 10:33 AM
Donald Trump’s Campaign Signals He Will Pick Mike Pence as Running Mate

Donald J. Trump’s campaign has signaled strongly to Republicans in Washington that he will pick Mike Pence, the governor of Indiana, as his running mate, though Republicans caution the party’s mercurial presidential candidate may still backtrack on his apparent choice.

Mr. Trump’s advisers have told national Republican officials that they are preparing to make an announcement with Mr. Pence, according to three people with knowledge of the conversations, who were not authorized to discuss them publicly. His campaign has said that it will unveil a running mate for Mr. Trump in New York on Friday.

Mr. Pence, a former congressman and radio host, emerged over the last week as the strong favorite of Mr. Trump’s political advisers and senior officials in the Republican Party.

But Mr. Trump himself has sent conflicting signals in recent days, as he has subjected his potential running mates to a final round of screening. He addressed a rally in Indiana alongside Mr. Pence on Tuesday night and met privately with him several times.

On Wednesday, Mr. Trump and his children threw together a hasty series of conversations with other finalists in the vice-presidential search, including Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey, Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama and Newt Gingrich, the former House speaker.

A low-key man largely defined in public life by his Christian faith, Mr. Pence, 57, is seen as a cautious choice of running mate — a political partner who is unlikely to embarrass Mr. Trump, and who may help him shore up support among conservative voters still wary of his candidacy.

His staunch conservative views on certain social issues, like gay rights and abortion, may inject a new set of concerns into the general election debate that have been largely overlooked with Mr. Trump at the top of the Republican ticket.

For Mr. Trump, selecting Mr. Pence would be a sharp departure from habit, and the surest sign yet that he intends to submit to at least some standard political pressures in the general election.

In the past, Mr. Trump has leaned heavily on a tiny circle of trusted friends and advisers, and has crafted his major political decisions to shock and titillate the news media and Republican primary voters.

But Mr. Pence is a laid-back personality who does not have the same set of showman’s instincts as Mr. Trump or other vice-presidential contenders like Mr. Gingrich and Mr. Christie.

And the Indiana governor has only the scantiest of personal relationships with the man whose political future has rapidly melded with his own.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/15/us/politics/mike-pence-donald-trump-vice-president.html

invisible
07-14-2016, 05:26 PM
I'd prefer Tim Curry- might even consider Trump if that happened. ;)

Only if he sings the "Sweet Transvestite" song on the convention floor and kisses the ghoul instead of making a speech. :)

I'd rather have Gene Simmons. Too bad Lemmy isn't available.

Ender
07-14-2016, 06:20 PM
Only if he sings the "Sweet Transvestite" song on the convention floor and kisses the ghoul instead of making a speech. :)

I'd rather have Gene Simmons. Too bad Lemmy isn't available.

Or Bowie has past. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nD_CwUmfIQ

I could handle this VP. :p

Ender
07-14-2016, 06:27 PM

Of course "Sweet Transvestite" might just be perfect. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCZDWZFtyWY

liveandletlive
07-14-2016, 07:19 PM
its gonna be a neocon.