PDA

View Full Version : Bill Weld compares Trump to defunct, 19th-century ‘Know-Nothing Party’

francisco
07-08-2016, 10:55 AM
Bill Weld is back with more strong historical parallels for the 2016 campaign.

Addressing the National Press Club at a luncheon Thursday in Washington, D.C., the former Massachusetts governor alluded that Donald Trump’s campaign was the reincarnation of a short-lived nativist movement in the 1800s and said his running mate, Libertarian presidential nominee Gary Johnson, reminded him of President Abraham Lincoln.

“A storm is brewing this year, and it seems possible the Republican Party will even crack in two,” Weld, the Libertarian vice presidential nominee, said of his former party.

He then briefly paused, taking off his glasses: “That’s not necessarily a bad thing.”

read more:

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/2016/07/07/bill-weld-compares-trump-19th-century-know-nothing-party?event=event51

euphemia
07-08-2016, 11:03 AM
Pot calls the kettle black.

francisco
07-08-2016, 11:21 AM
Pot calls the kettle black.

Did you bother to read the article?

Do you know the actual history yourself?

Bill Weld is hardly a doctrinaire libertarian, but he is in no sense a nativist, or ignorant, like Trump is and the Know-Nothings were. So your comment "Pot calls kettle black" is completely off-point.

RonPaulMall
07-12-2016, 11:12 AM

Do you know the actual history yourself?

Bill Weld is hardly a doctrinaire libertarian, but he is in no sense a nativist, or ignorant, like Trump is and the Know-Nothings were. So your comment "Pot calls kettle black" is completely off-point.

The Know Nothings were infinitely preferable to Weld and his Globalist Elite pals.

francisco
07-13-2016, 01:32 PM
The Know Nothings were infinitely preferable to Weld and his Globalist Elite pals.

The stupid is strong in the orange people.

CaptUSA
07-13-2016, 01:41 PM
The stupid is strong in the orange people.

Why yes. Yes it is.

Smitty
07-13-2016, 02:30 PM

no

francisco
07-13-2016, 02:52 PM
Did you bother to read the article?...

no

Ah yes.

Perfect illustration.

For Trump and his supporters, mere ordinary ignorance is insufficient.

The ignorance to be gloriously complete (as exemplified by the aptly-named Know-Nothings) must be willful.

Smitty
07-13-2016, 03:02 PM
If I took the time to read every piece of stupid chit that every dumbazz posted online I wouldn't have time to do anything else.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings,..but you'll get over it. Dumbazzes always do.

torchbearer
07-13-2016, 05:10 PM
Ah yes.

Perfect illustration.

For Trump and his supporters, mere ordinary ignorance is insufficient.

The ignorance to be gloriously complete (as exemplified by the aptly-named Know-Nothings) must be willful.

The cheeto eaters have shattered every low bar i've set for them. their ignorance is a giant hole with no bottom. it is endless. The kind of stupid that can give another person a migraine.

euphemia
07-13-2016, 06:41 PM
I think the so-called Libertarians need to stop hawking Johnson/Weld because every other party is bad, too. I think it is hypocritical in the extreme to call Johnson or Weld liberty thinkers because they are not.