PDA

View Full Version : Huckabee wanted to isolate AIDS patients

sharedvoice
12-08-2007, 09:07 AM
SOURCE: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071208/ap_on_el_pr/huckabee_aids

By ANDREW DeMILLO, Associated Press Writer

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Mike Huckabee once advocated isolating AIDS patients from the general public, opposed increased federal funding in the search for a cure and said homosexuality could "pose a dangerous public health risk."

As a candidate for a U.S. Senate seat in 1992, Huckabee answered 229 questions submitted to him by The Associated Press. Besides a quarantine, Huckabee suggested that Hollywood celebrities fund AIDS research from their own pockets, rather than federal health agencies.

"If the federal government is truly serious about doing something with the AIDS virus, we need to take steps that would isolate the carriers of this plague," Huckabee wrote.

"It is difficult to understand the public policy towards AIDS. It is the first time in the history of civilization in which the carriers of a genuine plague have not been isolated from the general population, and in which this deadly disease for which there is no cure is being treated as a civil rights issue instead of the true health crisis it represents."

The AP submitted the questionnaire to both candidates; only Huckabee responded. Incumbent Sen. Dale Bumpers won his four term; Huckabee was elected lieutenant governor the next year and became governor in 1996.

When asked about AIDS research in 1992, Huckabee complained that AIDS research received an unfair share of federal dollars when compared to cancer, diabetes and heart disease.

"In light of the extraordinary funds already being given for AIDS research, it does not seem that additional federal spending can be justified," Huckabee wrote. "An alternative would be to request that multimillionaire celebrities, such as Elizabeth Taylor (,) Madonna and others who are pushing for more AIDS funding be encouraged to give out of their own personal treasuries increased amounts for AIDS research."

Huckabee did not return messages left with his campaign.

When Huckabee wrote his answers in 1992, it was common knowledge that AIDS could not be spread by casual contact. In late 1991, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said there were 195,718 AIDS patients in the country and that 126,159 people had died from the syndrome.

The nation had an increased awareness of AIDS at the time because pro basketball star Magic Johnson had recently disclosed he carried the virus responsible for it. Johnson retired but returned to the NBA briefly during the 1994-95 season.

Since becoming a presidential candidate this year, Huckabee has supported increased federal funding for AIDS research through the National Institutes of Health.

"My administration will be the first to have an overarching strategy for dealing with HIV and AIDS here in the United States, with a partnership between the public and private sectors that will provide necessary financing and a realistic path toward our goals," Huckabee said in a statement posted on his campaign Web site last month.

Also in the wide-ranging AP questionnaire in 1992, Huckabee said, "I feel homosexuality is an aberrant, unnatural, and sinful lifestyle, and we now know it can pose a dangerous public health risk."

A Southern Baptist preacher, Huckabee has been a favorite among social conservatives for his vocal opposition to gay marriage. In 2003, Huckabee said that the U.S. Supreme Court was probably right to strike down anti-sodomy laws, but that states still should be able to restrict things such as gay marriage or domestic partner benefits.

"What people do in the privacy of their own lives as adults is their business," Huckabee said. "If they bring it into the public square and ask me as a taxpayer to support it or to endorse it, then it becomes a matter of public discussion and discourse."

sharedvoice
12-08-2007, 11:10 AM
SOURCE: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/12/08/huckabee-wanted-aids-quar_n_75924.html

Mike Huckabee once advocated isolating AIDS patients from the general public, opposed increased federal funding in the search for a cure and said homosexuality could "pose a dangerous public health risk."

As a candidate for a U.S. Senate seat in 1992, Huckabee answered 229 questions submitted to him by The Associated Press. Besides a quarantine, Huckabee suggested that Hollywood celebrities fund AIDS research from their own pockets, rather than federal health agencies.

peruvianRP
12-08-2007, 11:14 AM
Can I say he is roasted, done, finito, no mas!

angelatc
12-08-2007, 11:17 AM
This is why he is dangerous to us Republican conservatives. Sadly, I think a large part of the GOP agrees with his third-world stance, and the Democrats will therefore find him easy to beat in the election.

azminuteman
12-08-2007, 11:19 AM
It won't do anything for him but make his base stronger.
Sorry but the amount of Christian right vs Aids/Gays that are political won't affect him in any negative way.

We need to stop paying attention to the wrong guy anyway and promote Dr. Paul.

partypooper
12-08-2007, 11:28 AM
This is why he is dangerous to us Republican conservatives. Sadly, I think a large part of the GOP agrees with his third-world stance, and the Democrats will therefore find him easy to beat in the election.

read the whole article. he changed his mind and now advocates federally funded research. so there is something here for everybody :). all moderates will be disgusted by his 1992 phase, but conservatives should be angry about his current position.

daviddee
12-08-2007, 11:36 AM

werdd
12-08-2007, 11:40 AM
They are seriously going to demolish huckabee and eachother this month. Its going to be a riot to see it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071208/ap_po/huckabee_aids

"If the federal government is truly serious about doing something with the AIDS virus, we need to take steps that would isolate the carriers of this plague," Huckabee wrote.

Huckabee said, "I feel homosexuality is an aberrant, unnatural, and sinful lifestyle, and we now know it can pose a dangerous public health risk."

How are two Lesbians a health risk?

I have a typo---- Created should be Treated Fixed

What a theocratic liberal peice of trash..

daviddee
12-08-2007, 11:43 AM

Micahyah
12-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Huck has a giant bullseye on him and will get pummelled.

All we need to focus on now is getting more people aware of Ron Paul and his message. That's it.

Kregener
12-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Well, he was partially right.

The Federal Behemoth has no place in financing drug companies research for cures for diseases.

But, as can clearly be seen, Big Pharma is not interested in CURES, just symptom-masking "drugs" that must be taken for life, READ - money in the bank.

These articles might have the impact of causing the 5% of the 3% of the population to vote for somebody else.

InRonWeTrust
12-08-2007, 11:52 AM
This is not damaging to him with his base, but it will piss off the MSM.

RPinSEAZ
12-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Sounds like it will play well with his base.

rodent
12-08-2007, 12:02 PM
SOURCE: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071208/ap_on_el_pr/huckabee_aids

By ANDREW DeMILLO, Associated Press Writer

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Mike Huckabee once advocated isolating AIDS patients from the general public, opposed increased federal funding in the search for a cure and said homosexuality could "pose a dangerous public health risk."

"It is difficult to understand the public policy towards AIDS. It is the first time in the history of civilization in which the carriers of a genuine plague have not been isolated from the general population, and in which this deadly disease for which there is no cure is being treated as a civil rights issue instead of the true health crisis it represents."

The AP submitted the questionnaire to both candidates; only Huckabee responded. Incumbent Sen. Dale Bumpers won his four term; Huckabee was elected lieutenant governor the next year and became governor in 1996.

When asked about AIDS research in 1992, Huckabee complained that AIDS research received an unfair share of federal dollars when compared to cancer, diabetes and heart disease.

"In light of the extraordinary funds already being given for AIDS research, it does not seem that additional federal spending can be justified," Huckabee wrote. "An alternative would be to request that multimillionaire celebrities, such as Elizabeth Taylor (,) Madonna and others who are pushing for more AIDS funding be encouraged to give out of their own personal treasuries increased amounts for AIDS research."

Huckabee did not return messages left with his campaign.

When Huckabee wrote his answers in 1992, it was common knowledge that AIDS could not be spread by casual contact. In late 1991, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said there were 195,718 AIDS patients in the country and that 126,159 people had died from the syndrome.

The nation had an increased awareness of AIDS at the time because pro basketball star Magic Johnson had recently disclosed he carried the virus responsible for it. Johnson retired but returned to the NBA briefly during the 1994-95 season.

Since becoming a presidential candidate this year, Huckabee has supported increased federal funding for AIDS research through the National Institutes of Health.

"My administration will be the first to have an overarching strategy for dealing with HIV and AIDS here in the United States, with a partnership between the public and private sectors that will provide necessary financing and a realistic path toward our goals," Huckabee said in a statement posted on his campaign Web site last month.

Also in the wide-ranging AP questionnaire in 1992, Huckabee said, "I feel homosexuality is an aberrant, unnatural, and sinful lifestyle, and we now know it can pose a dangerous public health risk."

A Southern Baptist preacher, Huckabee has been a favorite among social conservatives for his vocal opposition to gay marriage. In 2003, Huckabee said that the U.S. Supreme Court was probably right to strike down anti-sodomy laws, but that states still should be able to restrict things such as gay marriage or domestic partner benefits.

"What people do in the privacy of their own lives as adults is their business," Huckabee said. "If they bring it into the public square and ask me as a taxpayer to support it or to endorse it, then it becomes a matter of public discussion and discourse."

Hmm, I actually kind of agree with him. Homosexuality doesn't bother me, but the spread of disease does. Where he's ignorant is that AIDs happens to heterosexual people too. So, heteros are also a health risk.

I was absolutely horrified the other day when a guy on our subway said he had aids and was gay. He was slim, wasting away, and was absolutely filthy. He was begging for money and said he wasn't getting help from anyone.

sharedvoice
12-08-2007, 12:03 PM

You are absolutely correct.

read the whole article. he changed his mind and now advocates federally funded research. so there is something here for everybody :). all moderates will be disgusted by his 1992 phase, but conservatives should be angry about his current position.

Good point!

thuja
12-08-2007, 12:04 PM
Can I say he is roasted, done, finito, no mas!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha i guess someone else does not like him very much, as it is headline news if you even try to use a computer. now most people will know his opinions on these topics.

as you say, fine

sharedvoice
12-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Question: What does the Huckster have in mind? Does he plan to put them all in GITMO?

Chuck wouldn't be too happy about that I am sure... lol

thuja
12-08-2007, 12:23 PM
maybe he will want to put them in malls.

rooteroa
12-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Umm, this seems like it would help Huckabee with the christian conservative base he appeals to... most of them find homosexuality disgusting as well.

rich34
12-08-2007, 12:33 PM
THese people need to know about Huckabee's HORRIBLE fiscal record. He's going to say JESUS JESUS JESUS all the way to the polls, but he is NOTHING like Jesus! I believe in Christ and even he said in the last days "even the very ELECT will be decieved!" He's talking about his own people! The same ones that were decieved by Bush and now Huckabee. The truth has to come out! If the campaign won't do it we should! I spoke to a Christian lady the other day and she thought he sounded good until I told her about his horrible fiscal record and even then she said "well I thought they said he cut taxes X amount of times?" The truth needs to come out.

Ninja Homer
12-08-2007, 12:35 PM
One of the biggest things I see from this is Huckster's flipflopping:

"When asked about AIDS research in 1992, Huckabee complained that AIDS research received an unfair share of federal dollars when compared to cancer, diabetes and heart disease.

"Since becoming a presidential candidate this year, Huckabee has supported increased federal funding for AIDS research through the National Institutes of Health.

"My administration will be the first to have an overarching strategy for dealing with HIV and AIDS here in the United States, with a partnership between the public and private sectors that will provide necessary financing and a realistic path toward our goals," Huckabee said in a statement posted on his campaign Web site last month."

partypooper
12-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Umm, this seems like it would help Huckabee with the christian conservative base he appeals to... most of them find homosexuality disgusting as well.

that's because in this article they omitted his change of heart - more recently, he advocated federal funding for AIDS research. which shows - like the rapist case - that huckabee is completely incapable of resisting political pressure. he presents himself as a straight-talker ready to say what is unpopular but in reality he is anything but a principled politician.

partypooper
12-08-2007, 12:39 PM
One of the biggest things I see from this is Huckster's flipflopping:

i agree completely - that is what is really damaging here given how he presents himself.

RonPaulMania
12-08-2007, 12:41 PM

Exactly, I don't see how this is going to hurt his base, just "other people".

partypooper
12-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Exactly, I don't see how this is going to hurt his base, just "other people".

currently he advocates federal funding of AIDS research. whoever likes what he said in 1992 is not going to like that. whoever believes that he is a man of principles - and , strange as that sounds, that appears to be one of the reasons why people like him - should think for a second.

XelR8r
12-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Well, it sure didn't take long for Huckabee to implode.

What was this guy thinking even trying to run for national office?

Who's next? I think the CFR is running out of stooges to promote over Dr. Paul.

kylejack
12-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Castro quarantined AIDS patients. Maybe Huckabee should run for president of some dictatorship.

tsetsefly
12-08-2007, 03:05 PM
he is trully and idiot... haha like I said once his record is exposed his numbers will plummet...

angelatc
12-08-2007, 03:18 PM
From a November 2007 statement...
"I support President Bush’s proposal to double our initial commitment from $15 billion to $30 billion over the next five years for the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief

I thought conservatives were supposed to cut spending.

quickmike
12-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Castro quarantined AIDS patients. Maybe Huckabee should run for president of some dictatorship.

Hey, Castro is no spring chicken and the clock is TICK TICK TICKING away............

Mike Huckabee for Cuban President 2009!!

I'll vote for him.

rory096
12-08-2007, 03:26 PM
That's pretty bad, but I think the part of the article where he says homosexuality is "aberrant, sinful and unnatural" is worse. Why isn't that getting any attention?

FrankRep
12-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Digg has declared War on poor Huck.

http://digg.com/news/2008_us_elections

quickmike
12-08-2007, 03:30 PM
That's pretty bad, but I think the part of the article where he says homosexuality is "aberrant, sinful and unnatural" is worse. Why isn't that getting any attention?

Lets be fair now, when you have that many things about you that are that bad, its hard to bring them all up to the surface all at once. You have to space them out and drive them home one at a time.

Maybe something like a weekly newsletter dedicated to why Huckster is a MONSTER. Each week they focus on just one of the dozens of insane views.

ProfNo
12-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Digg has declared War on poor Huck.

http://digg.com/news/2008_us_elections

That is the truth. I watch digg a lot, and at first the huck supports were really trying to digg up Huck. But you could see the normal digg user buying his BS less and less. Now that the truth about him is coming out, the shit is hitting the fan.

Huck will no be just like the rest on digg (except Ron Paul). Only negative articles will become popular because nobody likes him :)

Lance C Roseman
12-08-2007, 04:11 PM
What's wrong with isolating sick people? Up until not very long ago our ancestors put THEMSELVES into sanatoriums if they contacted communicable diseases like TB. I guess we've lost our care for our fellow humans when being isolated is seen as weird. Sick=Isolation. If I get sick I stay home. If I were to become sick with something spreadable, I'd stay home even more! Either way, Huck sucks.

AlexMerced
12-08-2007, 04:16 PM
key word communicable, aids is not air born or that easily transmitted to warrant isolation

Isupportliberty
12-08-2007, 04:52 PM
psssssh... and they call Ron Paul an isolationist?

:confused:

Matt Collins
12-08-2007, 08:23 PM

Huckabee said, "I feel homosexuality is an aberrant, unnatural, and sinful lifestyle, and we now know it can pose a dangerous public health risk."

Most conservative Christians probably agree with him.

smhbbag
12-08-2007, 08:52 PM

Huckabee is right. But he will get crucified over it.

jasonoliver
12-08-2007, 09:09 PM
SO MUCH FOR FREEDOM!

Huckabee said Saturday that his comments came at a time when the public was still learning about HIV and AIDS and promised to do "everything possible to transform the promise of a vaccine and a cure into reality."

In 1992, Huckabee wrote, "If the federal government is truly serious about doing something with the AIDS virus, we need to take steps that would isolate the carriers of this plague."

The AP submitted the questionnaire to both candidates in the 1992 senate race; only Huckabee responded. Incumbent Sen. Dale Bumpers won his fourth term; Huckabee was elected lieutenant governor the next year and became governor in 1996.

Huckabee said in a prepared statement released by his campaign Saturday afternoon that he called for quarantine when there was a lot of confusion about how AIDS is spread. He said he wanted at the time to follow traditional medical practices used for dealing with tuberculosis and other infectious diseases.

"We now know that the virus that causes AIDS is spread differently, with a lower level of contact than with TB," Huckabee said. "But looking back almost 20 years, my concern was the uncertain risk to the general population — if we got it wrong, many people would die needlessly. My concern was safety first, political correctness last."

The nation had an increased awareness of AIDS at the time because pro basketball star Magic Johnson had recently disclosed he carried the virus responsible for it. Johnson retired but returned to the NBA briefly during the 1995-96 season.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071208/ap_on_el_pr/huckabee_aids

literatim
12-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Why is this in grassroots?

jasonoliver
12-08-2007, 09:13 PM
So you can tell anyone considering voting for Huck that he wants to CAST AWAY all AIDS patients to a detention camp.

thisisgiparti
12-09-2007, 12:30 AM
Everything a Bible Thumper could want: hates women and gays, loves war and taxes.

user
12-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Everything a Bible Thumper could want: hates women and gays, loves war and taxes.
Yeah, this is fascism and no it's not an exaggeration.

Mental Dribble
12-09-2007, 03:18 PM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2007/12/09/huckabee-once-advocated-isolation-of-aids-patients/

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Mike Huckabee once advocated isolating AIDS patients from the general public, opposed increased federal funding in the search for a cure and said homosexuality could "pose a dangerous public health risk."

Huckabee said Saturday that his comments came at a time when "the AIDS crisis was just that — a crisis. We didn't know exactly all the details of how extensive it was going to be. There was just a real panic in this country. If I were making those same comments today, I might make them a little differently."

In 1992, Huckabee wrote, "If the federal government is truly serious about doing something with the AIDS virus, we need to take steps that would isolate the carriers of this plague."

Lance C Roseman
12-09-2007, 05:25 PM
key word communicable, aids is not air born or that easily transmitted to warrant isolation

They didn't know (I say snidely...) in 1992 what it was all about. If ANYTHING is blood borne it may be transmittable by mosquitoes. An ounce of prevention...We still don't know anything except that this 'virus' was bought and paid for by the FedGov.
http://www.boydgraves.com/

SamLowrey
12-09-2007, 06:23 PM

If the key word is "communicable" how is HIV not? It is said that HIV is the only disease with a Lobby.

Listed here:
http://edcp.org/html/cdindex.html

Not listed here:
http://www.health.state.ny.us/diseases/communicable/

Hmmm, wonder why? HPV is listed - is that easy to catch? Is it air borne? Probably harder to catch than HIV (never heard of a needle stick transmitting it) and it isn't life threatening. But I'm sure they crumbled under some pressure group to not list it.

There are many people who have been exposed to HIV through needle sticks, blood transfusions, rape, etc.... that could have been avoided through quarantine. Let's not pretend they don't exist.