PDA

View Full Version : Did radical Islam originate with a student Visa?

Brian4Liberty
06-26-2016, 12:24 PM
A recent CNN documentary with Fareed Zakaria claims that modern radical Islam originated with an Egyptian named Sayyid Qutb who came to the US as a student.

As Zakaria is essentially a mouthpiece for the CFR, this would be an establishment approved narrative, and likely the origin of the "they hate us for our freedom" meme. While that is an incomplete, dated and overly simplified explanation, it seems that the roots of today's radical Islam owe a lot to Sayyid Qutb.

Even though most of his observations and criticism were leveled at theMuslim world, Qutb is also known for his intense disapproval of the society and*culture of the United States,[4][5]which he saw as obsessed withmaterialism, violence, and sexual pleasures.[6]*Views on Qutb vary widely. He has been described by followers as a great thinker and*martyr for Islam,[7][8]*while many Western observers see him as a key originator of*Islamist*ideology.[9]*Others in the West believe Qutb is an inspiration for violent groups such as*al-Qaeda.

Al-Qaeda and Islamic Jihad

Qutb had influence on Islamic insurgent/terror groups in Egypt[69]and elsewhere. His influence on*al-Qaeda*was felt through his writing, his followers and especially through his brother,*Muhammad Qutb, who moved to*Saudi Arabia*following his release from prison in Egypt and became a professor of*Islamic Studies*and edited, published and promoted his brother Sayyid's work.[88][89]

One of Muhammad Qutb's students and later an ardent follower wasAyman Zawahiri, who went on to become a member of the*Egyptian Islamic Jihad[90]*and later a mentor ofOsama bin Laden*and a leading member of al-Qaeda.[91]*Zawahiri was first introduced to Qutb by his uncle and maternal family patriarch, Mafouz Azzam, who was very close to Qutb throughout his life. Azzam was Qutb's student, then protégé, then personal lawyer and executor of his estate—one of the last people to see Qutb before his execution. According to*Lawrence Wright, who interviewed Azzam, "young Ayman al-Zawahiri heard again and again from his beloved uncle Mahfouz about the purity of Qutb's character and the torment he had endured in prison."[92]*Zawahiri paid homage to Qutb in his work*Knights under the Prophet's Banner.[93]

Osama bin Laden, first leader of*al-Qaeda.

Anwar al-Awlaki

Osama bin Laden*was also acquainted with Sayyid's brother,*Muhammad Qutb. A close college friend of bin Laden's,*Mohammed Jamal Khalifa, told Wright, that bin Laden regularly attended weekly public lectures by Muhammad Qutb, at*King Abdulaziz University, and that he and bin Laden both "read Sayyid Qutb. He was the one who most affected our generation."[94]

While imprisoned in Yemen,*Anwar al-Awlaki*became influenced by the works of Qutb.[95]*He would read 150–200 pages a day of Qutb's works, describing himself during the course of his reading as "so immersed with the author I would feel Sayyid was with me in my cell speaking to me directly."[95]

On the other hand, associate professor of history at Creighton University,*John Calvert, states that "the al-Qaeda threat" has "monopolized and distorted our understanding" of Qutb's "real contribution to contemporary Islamism."[96]

More: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sayyid_Qutb

Zippyjuan
06-26-2016, 01:29 PM
His experiences came in a rural, conservative farming community of Greeley, Colorado in the late 1940's at what was at the time a teaching college (now the University of Northern Colorado). Alcohol was illegal. For context, he was Arab at a time when people were pro- Israel and he was dark skinned at a time when blacks were not part of society.

RJB
06-26-2016, 01:33 PM
I tend to think it's from installing and propping up dictators and then leveling their countries and killing them because they were ruled by dictators.

oyarde
06-26-2016, 02:30 PM
His experiences came in a rural, conservative farming community of Greeley, Colorado in the late 1940's at what was at the time a teaching college (now the University of Northern Colorado). Alcohol was illegal. For context, he was Arab at a time when people were pro- Israel and he was dark skinned at a time when blacks were not part of society.

He had larger problems , I would suspect by that time he was mentally ill . He thought he was above the people he was residing with.He did not think highly of the american economic system . He was incapable of understanding a society where the Men and woman attend church together etc. He was , a nutjob I imagine.

twomp
06-26-2016, 02:51 PM
It originated with the formation of Saudi Arabia and Wahhabism. Wahhabism is the problem.

susano
06-26-2016, 02:52 PM
I read the entire wiki entry and it was quite interesting. He sounds like he was a very influential thinker who put his own, unique stamp on interpreting the Qu'ran but those fundamentalist ideas existed before him. Long before he was around, Muslims conquered a good deal of the world and spread their ideology. Perhaps his critique of American culture added something that wasn't much talked about before but it was the US' own actions that would have solidified that thinking among his followers, imo.

Brian4Liberty
06-26-2016, 04:11 PM
He had larger problems , I would suspect by that time he was mentally ill . He thought he was above the people he was residing with.He did not think highly of the american economic system . He was incapable of understanding a society where the Men and woman attend church together etc. He was , a nutjob I imagine.

That's more on the mark. Add to that the fact he was a lifelong virgin, supposedly because he couldn't find a devout enough Muslim woman. Either he was unable to get a woman, or he didn't really want a woman. Both situations might lead to aggravation and outrage when watching heterosexuals interacting in the US.

Brian4Liberty
06-26-2016, 04:13 PM
I read the entire wiki entry and it was quite interesting. He sounds like he was a very influential thinker who put his own, unique stamp on interpreting the Qu'ran but those fundamentalist ideas existed before him. Long before he was around, Muslims conquered a good deal of the world and spread their ideology. Perhaps his critique of American culture added something that wasn't much talked about before but it was the US' own actions that would have solidified that thinking among his followers, imo.

It seems that his innovations were calls for rebellion against existing secular and religious institutions in Muslim countries, and his critique of American culture. Seems like he rebelled against just about everything that existed at the time, and his solution was violent revolution to implement strict Islamic sharia.

Brian4Liberty
06-26-2016, 04:16 PM

And what is your point?

He visited many major cities in the US.

Brian4Liberty
06-26-2016, 04:25 PM
It originated with the formation of Saudi Arabia and Wahhabism. Wahhabism is the problem.

The documentary puts those in reverse order. According to it, first came the radicalism of Qutb and the Muslim Brotherhood, and later the Saudi elite embraced radical Islam to stay in power (in 1979, following the Grand Mosque (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Mosque_seizure) rebellion).

Uriel999
06-26-2016, 04:39 PM
Radical islam started when a pedophile wife beating epilectic madman started taking over the Mideast.

Brian4Liberty
06-26-2016, 07:35 PM
Radical islam started when a pedophile wife beating epilectic madman started taking over the Mideast.

Sure, but it's more the modern circumstances that are a concern.

Uriel999
06-26-2016, 08:46 PM
Sure, but it's more the modern circumstances that are a concern.

Respectfully, I disagree. We've been dealing with Islam since Tripoli.