PDA

View Full Version : "Texit?"

Pauls' Revere
06-24-2016, 08:42 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/brexit-u-secessionists-hankering-texit-194835260.html

I so hope so.

Suzanimal
06-24-2016, 08:46 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/brexit-u-secessionists-hankering-texit-194835260.html

I so hope so.

Me, too!:D

...In Texas and other states, the Brexit vote came too late for U.S. secessionist to use it as a springboard to launch drives resulting in ballot measures for the November election.

But it did push the idea that if they can land a measure on the ballot for secession, they have a good chance to win over voters.

“We intend to mimic that process here in California by putting an independence referendum on the ballot so we can exercise our right to self-determination and vote to leave or remain part of the American Union,” said Louis Marinelli, president of the secessionist group, the Yes California Independence Campaign.

VERMONT REPUBLIC?

The group, which opposes what it calls mass domestic surveillance and militarization of California’s local police departments, said the state has the resources to go it alone and doing so will be in the best interest of Californians.

Campaigns have been simmering for years in places like Hawaii and in New Hampshire, where the Free State Project has been looking to have 20,000 people move to the New England state and set up a colony of like-minded people opposed to big government....

Pauls' Revere
06-24-2016, 08:48 PM
Going to look up the California Independence Campaign. :)

Pauls' Revere
06-24-2016, 08:55 PM
http://www.yescalifornia.org/

California Independence Campaign

TheTexan
06-24-2016, 09:21 PM
I can see it now

Donald Trump -- President of the Republic of Texas

:cool:

Slave Mentality
06-24-2016, 09:26 PM
I can see it now

Donald Trump -- President of the Republic of Texas

:cool:

Best place for a huge beautiful wall. Keep the damn Okies out.

ChiefJustice
06-24-2016, 09:49 PM
Texit would be a rebellion since there is no legal course for it. I think we know how such a foolish attempt would turn out, not that it is in any way realistic for a single state to pull it off.

kfarnan
06-24-2016, 09:54 PM
Going to look up the California Independence Campaign. :)

Never start in ca. They don't have the gumption. Mostly liberal statists.

pcosmar
06-25-2016, 12:27 AM
Texit would be a rebellion since there is no legal course for it. I think we know how such a foolish attempt would turn out, not that it is in any way realistic for a single state to pull it off.

interesting perspective ChiefJustice
what is your suggestion for liberty?

timosman
06-25-2016, 03:21 AM
Never start in ca. They don't have the gumption. Mostly liberal statists.

Couldn't even push Prop 19(legal marijuana) through in 2010 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_19_(2010)

robert68
06-25-2016, 03:40 AM
"And the rocket’s red glare, the bombs bursting in air, gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.":

"List of (31)military installations in Texas (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_installations_in_Texas)".

Jesse James
06-25-2016, 05:24 AM
Sure hope it happens. My ancestors (WWI and II, confederates, revolutionary war) may have died for this country, but now it's the country that's dying

Carlybee
06-25-2016, 11:47 AM
Won't happen. Too many libs here and the secessionist group are looked on as nutty.

Anti Federalist
06-25-2016, 01:38 PM

Foolish?

How so?

Anti Federalist
06-25-2016, 01:39 PM
Quebec first, that will show it can be done here as well.

Anti Federalist
06-25-2016, 01:49 PM
A 2014 Reuters/Ipsos poll showed nearly a quarter of Americans are open to their states leaving the union.

Why not...why this constant fight?

Like a marriage gone completely bad, why force populations of people who despise each other to stay togther when they have nothing in common?

Anti Federalist
06-25-2016, 02:19 PM
https://scontent.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13510750_1006224549475865_254572487685324445_n.png ?oh=a5553683706201533afba0a067005346&oe=57FAF405

Valli6
06-25-2016, 03:42 PM
Staten Island wants to secede from being part of New York City. Actually, they already voted to do this back in 1993, but politicians at the state level screwed them!

Now A Staten Island Lawmaker Wants To Secede From New York City

Britain’s exit from the EU has triggered a call from a New York City councilman for Staten Island to secede from the five boroughs of the city, DNAinfo reported.

Councilman Joe Borelli described the vote to leave the European Union “inspiring” in a tweet Thursday night, saying that his constituents on the island want their borough to be free of the city.

Staten Island attempted to secede from the city in 1993, when 65 percent of Staten Islanders voted for an independent city charter. However, the state Assembly blocked the measure by delaying it until it was too late to vote on the plan.
more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/06/24/now-a-staten-island-lawmaker-wants-to-secede-from-new-york-city/

jmdrake
06-25-2016, 04:27 PM
https://scontent.fphx1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13510750_1006224549475865_254572487685324445_n.png ?oh=a5553683706201533afba0a067005346&oe=57FAF405

LOL. Okay, here's the difference. The Libson treaty included mechanism for secession. The U.S. constitution didn't. Yeah I've heard the "10th amendment means we can" argument. Okay. Andrew Jackson, a president often revered by liberty folks for his stand against the national bank, begged to differ. (As in "I regret not hanging my VP John Calhoun and all of the rest of the secessionists.")

Now, what difference does that all make? Simple. Let's take impeachment. We have a mechanism to remove the president. Sure, it's never been successfully followed through, though the votes were there to oust Nixon, but it's there. So no constitutional crisis if it's put into place. If it wasn't, and a group of people said "We don't want you as president anymore" then there would be nothing left to do but a coup. Well a coup against the U.S. government was tried. It was the civil war. It didn't succeed. (And personally I think Jeff Davis and company were a bunch of wankers and I don't care who disagrees with me on that.)

So what's left? If there's no mechanism for secession in the constitution....you can change the constitution. Mark Levin et al (and I don't trust them) are pushing for an article 5 convention of the states. Well in that convention a "secession amendment" could be added. Or the new constitution could be ratified to just leave out Texas and anyone else that doesn't want to be part of the U.S.

Of course...the real rub is this. Will getting rid of the United States end tyranny? Do reindeer fly around the world on the 25th of December? Yeah, maybe a quarter of Americans are for secession. How many are for ending the drug war? A solid majority.

http://www.drugpolicy.org/news/2014/04/new-pew-poll-confirms-americans-ready-end-war-drugs

So we could re-arrange the masters on the plantation, or start dismantling the plantation. If solid majorities of Americans are for ending the drug war, and if there is already a mechanism to end the drug war (Colorado leads the way), why not concentrate on something we can actually....well...accomplish?

CPUd
06-25-2016, 04:38 PM
Trump: Texas won't secede because 'Texas loves me'

Donald Trump on Saturday dismissed the idea of Texas seceding from the United States, saying the Lone Star State wouldn't do it because "Texas loves me."

Speaking to reporters in Scotland two days after the United Kingdom voted to leave the European Union, Trump shot down comparisons between the so-called Brexit and the possibility of Texas seceding from the union.

“Texas will never do that because Texas loves me,” he told reporters at his golf course Aberdeen.

"Texas would never do that if I’m president."

Trump praised the U.K. following the vote to leave the EU, saying Friday that they “took their country back.”

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/284904-trump-texas-wont-secede-because-texas-loves-me

TheTexan
06-25-2016, 05:36 PM
Well a coup against the U.S. government was tried. It was the civil war.

Thanks jmdrake that's a very accurate way of putting it. I had forgotten, that the South wanted to conquer and take over the North.

It didn't succeed.

And therefore now its illegal.

If solid majorities of Americans are for ending the drug war, and if there is already a mechanism to end the drug war (Colorado leads the way), why not concentrate on something we can actually....well...accomplish?

But what Colorado is doing is illegal. Like you said - there is a mechanism in place, and its called voting at the federal level to change things.

Because we certainly wouldnt want to do anything the Federal government might disapprove of.

jmdrake
06-25-2016, 06:43 PM
Thanks jmdrake that's a very accurate way of putting it. I had forgotten, that the South wanted to conquer and take over the North.

I never said anything about conquering the North or trying to take it over dimwit. A coup is a way to remove a head of state by force. One can have a coup and not "take over" the government. That happens all the time. A rebellion is a way to throw off an entire government you no longer agree with by force. You may or may not decide to try to take it over. The point, that's gone over your thick skull, is that the EU had a defined legal mechanism for Britain to leave just like the U.S. has a defined legal mechanism to remove a president. (Impeachment).

And therefore now its illegal.

I never said it was. Never said it wasn't. The point is that if you want to compare Brexit to Texit you need to specify what it the equivalent in the U.S. constitution to the provision in the Lisbon Treaty that will now be invoked to complete Britain's Brexit.

But what Colorado is doing is illegal. Like you said - there is a mechanism in place, and its called voting at the federal level to change things.

Wrong rocks for brains. What Colorado is doing is perfectly legal. They repealed their drug laws. The federal anti drug laws are still in place but without the state and local governments enforcing state and local drug laws the federal drug laws are pretty much meaningless. It's local cops that bust the on the corner drug dealer or the person they pull over who smells like weed. It's well established that the Federal government can't force state governments to enforce federal law. If the feds want federal drug laws enforced they have to do that themselves. And they simply lack the manpower to do that for the average drug transaction.

Because we certainly wouldnt want to do anything the Federal government might disapprove of.

When you get through with stupid neg repping and making stupid arguments perhaps you will be ready to actually contribute to the conversation.

ThePaleoLibertarian
06-25-2016, 07:06 PM
Brexit brings up many interesting options for the future, but I doubt secession in the US is one of them. The EU is a relatively recent thing and it was sold as a "common market", not a supra-state. As far as most are concerned, the book has been closed when it comes to states wanting to secede from the Union.

"Exit" is going to be a very important concept in the coming age, but it won't come to the US until things get much worse.

TheTexan
06-25-2016, 07:40 PM
It's well established that the Federal government can't force state governments to enforce federal law. If the feds want federal drug laws enforced they have to do that themselves.

You're right, the same argument couldnt possibly be used for secession.

TheTexan
06-25-2016, 07:44 PM
Why not...why this constant fight?

Like a marriage gone completely bad, why force populations of people who despise each other to stay togther when they have nothing in common?

Because, America

jmdrake
06-25-2016, 07:55 PM
You're right, the same argument couldnt possibly be used for secession.

Colorado not enforcing federal drug didn't involve Colorado firing on the equivalent of Ft. Sumpter. :rolleyes:

TheTexan
06-25-2016, 07:56 PM
Colorado not enforcing federal drug didn't involve Colorado firing on the equivalent of Ft. Sumpter. :rolleyes:

It easily could have. It was a risk colorado took.

jmdrake
06-25-2016, 07:59 PM
It easily could have. It was a risk colorado took.

Nope. Not at all. You either don't understand what Colorado did WRT its drug laws or Civil War history or both.

TheTexan
06-25-2016, 08:01 PM
Nope. Not at all. You either don't understand what Colorado did WRT its drug laws or Civil War history or both.

Some sheriffs promised to defend their constituents - with force - should the Federal gov attempted to enforce drug laws.

The only reason blood wasnt spilled was because the FedGov calculated it wasnt worth it.

jmdrake
06-25-2016, 08:16 PM
Some sheriffs promised to defend their constituents - with force - should the Federal gov attempted to enforce drug laws.

Well good for them. Totally unnecessary and not authorized by the action taken by the law that decriminalized marijuana in Colorado. That law only addressed Colorado marijuana statutes. It didn't address federal drug laws.

The only reason blood wasnt spilled was because the FedGov calculated it wasnt worth it.

:rolleyes: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=DEA+raid+colorado

Federal drug raids are still going on in Colorado.

Edit: And looking at the stories of federal drug raids in Colorado, so far I don't see any cases of sheriffs standing down the feds. I do see cases of sheriffs joining in and helping with some of the raids. :( :mad:

TheTexan
06-25-2016, 08:32 PM
Federal drug raids are still going on in Colorado.

Edit: And looking at the stories of federal drug raids in Colorado, so far I don't see any cases of sheriffs standing down the feds. I do see cases of sheriffs joining in and helping with some of the raids. :( :mad:

The only raids that are happening that I know of are the ones that are shipping drugs out of state.

The Feds aren't taking action that I know of against state-licensed in-state weed businesses, that are in compliance with Colorado laws.

jmdrake
06-25-2016, 08:37 PM
The only raids that are happening that I know of are the ones that are shipping drugs out of state.

The Feds aren't taking action that I know of against state-licensed in-state weed businesses, that are in compliance with Colorado laws.

Did you read this article?

http://truthinmedia.com/feds-raid-colorado-pot-industry-after-promising-not-to-intervene/

In Denver, recreational shops were scheduled to open in only a few short weeks. However, according to The Denver Post, federal agents raided the homes of two individuals and more than a dozen facilities selling the drug.

All parties involved claim they were properly licensed, followed all state regulations and were not doing anything which would have prompted the feds to step in.

TheTexan
06-25-2016, 08:39 PM
Did you read this article?

http://truthinmedia.com/feds-raid-colorado-pot-industry-after-promising-not-to-intervene/

You have one raid from 2013 where noone was arrested.

Got anything else?

jmdrake
06-25-2016, 09:01 PM
You have one raid from 2013 where noone was arrested.

Got anything else?

I haven't done an exhaustive search but that's all I have ATM. And true. No one was arrested. They just lost about $1 million worth of plants. All is well in the land of the free...home of the brave. I'm pretty no dogs were killed either or AF would have covered it.

jmdrake
06-25-2016, 09:02 PM
Back to Brexit / Texit. I mentioned one way this could happen without another civil war.

So what's left? If there's no mechanism for secession in the constitution....you can change the constitution. Mark Levin et al (and I don't trust them) are pushing for an article 5 convention of the states. Well in that convention a "secession amendment" could be added. Or the new constitution could be ratified to just leave out Texas and anyone else that doesn't want to be part of the U.S.

Is that idea appealing to anyone? Just curious.

GunnyFreedom
06-25-2016, 09:04 PM
Personally, I like Texaseeya!

P3ter_Griffin
06-26-2016, 05:38 PM
Back to Brexit / Texit. I mentioned one way this could happen without another civil war.

Is that idea appealing to anyone? Just curious.

Very much so, 'diplomacy over war' and all that. But how likely are we to see it come to fruition? Is it more likely that a constitutional amendment could be passed allowing for secession or that a state secedes against the union's wishes (regardless of the outcome from the aftermath)?

Where does the grassroots secession discussion take place on the interwebs? I don't see much here on RPF.

Suzanimal
06-26-2016, 05:50 PM

Texseey'all :)

milgram
06-27-2016, 08:46 PM
The self-contained Texas power grid keeps all options on the table

http://i.imgur.com/clSkATb.jpg

P3ter_Griffin
06-27-2016, 11:22 PM
I did a few google searches yesterday, 'succession forum' and 'texit forum'. I didn't come across anything grassroots but some interesting opinions. In general, people who thought it feasible for a 'texit', thought that there would be no conflict in the matter. The foreigners thought this because 'America is hailed the as the democracy of the world' sort of effect. Individual's who reside in the US thought there would be no conflict because in part Texas and Texans would be plenty capable of defending themselves, so the US would not want to get involved in that, and in part because they believed mutually agreeable terms could be came to, i.e. US military bases and so forth in Texas would be leased to the US military by Texas similar to how is done in other foreign countries. The leftist were totally cool with it as long as one of these two scenarios played out: Texas gets invaded by Mexico and gets its ass kicked and then comes crawling back to the union, or that the US military go in and kill all the rightwingers in Texas (what great people!). It seemed like the majority of foreigners didn't think it would happen because there is too much unity in thought and culture around the US and that the groups pursuing secession were marginal. I didn't get a feel for where domestic individuals stood on whether or not they think it will happen.

Slave Mentality
06-28-2016, 08:19 AM

Going with Texassout.